Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41

Author Topic: BM XLII - Game Over: Mafia Win!  (Read 75047 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - Day Three - Missing Friend
« Reply #540 on: August 23, 2013, 03:24:03 pm »

Hrmm...

Unvote

I need to lay aside my suspicions of Griffinpup for now. I don't trust what is going on with this vote. This all feels like a rushed attempt to get rid of a new player.

Nerjin, Rolepgeek: Elaborate on what makes you think Squill is scum.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 23, 2013, 03:34:02 pm »

Oh right, almost forgot:

Squill
To be honest, I don't think I'm quite good enough at this game to really help, so if you think it'll help town win, then I see no reason not to lynch me.

My original vote was because he made a weak case. I could see what he meant to say so I voted him to try to give him some incentive for making a stronger case. Then he said the stuff above.

It just felt too much like a "I'm gonna try to reverse psychology them into not voting me.". It just seems wrong. I personally think Squill would do fine if he had come in earlier. Being a replacement is tough.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 23, 2013, 04:54:09 pm »

Oh right, almost forgot:

Squill
To be honest, I don't think I'm quite good enough at this game to really help, so if you think it'll help town win, then I see no reason not to lynch me.

My original vote was because he made a weak case. I could see what he meant to say so I voted him to try to give him some incentive for making a stronger case. Then he said the stuff above.

It just felt too much like a "I'm gonna try to reverse psychology them into not voting me.". It just seems wrong. I personally think Squill would do fine if he had come in earlier. Being a replacement is tough.

I don't think this is reverse psychology. Squill has been struggling since he step foot into the game. The Lurker Tracker helps, but there is no denying that there is a crapton of material to sort through. With considerations made that he doesn't know any of us yet, his defeatism is begrudgingly justified.
BIRDS.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 23, 2013, 06:58:48 pm »

Unlike you, I'm quite good at quoting stuff.
Note that the questions and statements I'm responding to are numbered and colored blue.
Interesting.  You're choosing which points you respond too...  This becomes important later.
[3] Wrong.  I admit to not insulting Griffionday's playstyle and to insulting him personally, no to the use of Ad Homenem.

Whether you realize it or not, you were using Ad Hominem. Ad Hominem is simply degrading the integrity of another man in order to degrade their case. Calling another person a "lying piece of crap" and telling them to "grow some balls" falls into this plane.
Oh, I understand now.  You actually don't care whether I refuted his points or not.  All you care about is that I insulted someone.  By your arguments, any time anyone insults anyone, it is qualified under Ad Hominem.  Well Birdy, guess what?  WE ARE REAL PEOPLE.  We have feelings.  We can insult people if we want.  For reference, look at the clearly derisive tones and insults Gun shot my way while he pushed inane case.  HE turned out to be town.
[4]Perhaps you should read the post that this quote is actually referring to.  I DID refute his logic.

Not that I can see.
Wait, yes you can.  In your next paragraph you say that I responded to his points.

While you may have responded to his points
But let's move on
[4]Perhaps you should read the post that this quote is actually referring to.  I DID refute his logic.

Most of  your "refuting" was defending yourself
Which is refuting his points on me, yes.
and demanding that Griffionday make a case against you, as opposed to addressing Griffionday's point that relying too much on the past can be dangerous.
Quote the points that I failed to address.  Don't just make them up or reference them without proof.
[5]As I hope you can tell by this quote, I DID RESPOND TO HIS POINTS.  I also insulted him.  I didn't insult him to dodge his points.  Hence Ad Hominem doesn't apply.

While you may have responded to his points, it was not in a manner that contributed to meaningful dialogue.
Define a meaningful dialogue.
Demonstrate how the dialogue Griffionday and I had was not meaningful.
Why does whether or not it contributes to a meaningful dialogue make me scummy?
Particularly, Griffionday prodded you on not looking for the "easy" lynches. I don't classify that as a proper response.
Griffionday neither made a valid point, asked a question, or raised anything other then a vague accusation addressed to me.  So, yes I chose to prod him into making something that I actually could respond to.
Perhaps you disagree with my "easy" lynches.  Do you disagree with the "easy" lynch of IG?
[6]And that's not the argument that I made.  

That was a mannerism of speech on my end regarding Ad Hominem. The infusion of sarcasm and insults into responses infringes upon the validity of the argument.
Do you disagree with the validity of my argument?
[7]I did disagree with Griffionday, and I did PRESENT A COUNTER ARGUMENT.

One tainted with Ad Hominem.
In this statement you implicitly express agreement that I did make a counter argument.  This goes against what you said earlier.
I hate to tell Griffin, but "You're wrong, because you're stupid." is not an acceptable counterargument when you are trying refute someone under any circumstances.
If disagree with someone, present a counter argument. The resulting conflict has far more value than if you were to simply insult another player and call it a day.
In both of these quotes you imply that what I didn't present counter-arguments, and now you're saying that I did, but that they also included Ad Hominem.  Which is it?

[8]I didn't cite WIFOM in order to disregard another person's argument.  It WASN'T an argument.  It was a possible explanation for my actions, which is heavily affected by WIFOM.  If he had actually made an argument out of that point I would of refuted it.  Since he didn't, I merely pointed out the WIFOM involved.

Perhaps it wasn't an argument yet. But that doesn't change the fact you still hand waved the idea as WIFOM. You didn't want to address the idea.

You agree that it wasn't an argument, but you still maintain that it's scummy to not address the sentence that wasn't an argument. 
It's true, I did state WIFOM.  But guess what, IT IS.
[9]How?

I'll answer your one word question with another question that should answer your question.

Urist McPlayer is playing Mafia at LYLO. Near the end of the day, he is the lynch target and is flailing wildly and begging not to be killed. The other Townie now has to decide whether he's telling the truth based on his antics, and the antics of the other player, Urist McShifty, who has been lurking for most of the game until this very last day.

Who is the scum?
You gave one specific example that qualifies as WIFOM.  Congratulations.  Now answer the actual question.  How does WIFOM apply every time you make a character judgement?  How does WIFOM apply every time you determine who's scum?
[11]Wrong.  I read it exactly as he stated it.

No you haven't. Beyond the words, "WIFOM like none other", I don't see you reading anything.
There's nothing I can say to respond to this.  You're arguing with me about whether I read something or not.  Stop it.

What he's done, is that he ignored the argument because he knew he couldn't defend against it.
In this quote you state that it WAS an argument.  You also stated that I couldn't defend against this argument, and this is why I threw WIFOM at it.  Now you still maintain that it was scummy to say WIFOM, despite admitting that there wasn't actually an argument.

In fact, you blatantly ignored this whole paragraph of my response.
All I see is total speculation.  I don't see an accusation in here.  If I did, I would of refuted it.  But perhaps I missed it.  Please state what supposed accusation is in this sentence that you want me to answer.  From your point of view, this would be a great opportunity.  The majority of your case involves me avoiding this point because I couldn't adequately respond to this accusation.  So the next logical step for you is to TELL ME the accusation and see if I can respond to it.
And failed to tell me what accusation he was making.  The fact that you failed to do so is scummy.  It was obviously the next step in your case to see if your reasoning was correct.  If I  avoided the accusation, that means I avoided it for a reason.  By your own statement, "I knew I couldn't defend it."  Despite this being a majority of your case, you have yet to press on the particular point that would PROVE OR DISPROVE your case, EVEN after you were prompted to do so.  Town has incentive to truly find out if their case makes sense and is correct.  Scum have to push cases they fabricate.  They have great incentive for their cases to appear strong, and as such avoid trying to prove or disprove them, as they will inevitably be disproved. 
This blatant evasion of disproving your own case is now why I think your are scum, Birdy.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 23, 2013, 08:21:57 pm »

birdy51: I don't think he's scum, not really. I'll be honest and say it. I want him lynched, however, because if he flips scum, we win. If he flips townie, however, it allows a host of new information to come rushing in, based on Griffionday's analyses and reactions, and his interactions with various players. And then it comes down to you, or griffinpup, at least in my mind. Nerjin could be scum, as he's said with IC voice, but I don't think so, based on his actions and style of play so far.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 23, 2013, 08:36:06 pm »

A quick warning, I'm pretty sure that Day 4 will be your last vote. Make it count.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 23, 2013, 08:51:35 pm »

Indeed. We'll have to see what happens on Day 4. We cannot afford to mislynch.

Anyways, I'm currently packing for college, and I move in tomorrow morning. Hopefully starting back up on that routine won't affect my ability to see this game through to the end.
BIRDS.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - Day Two - Goblin Food - Replacement Requested
« Reply #547 on: August 24, 2013, 12:03:19 am »

Spoiler: The Point of it All (click to show/hide)

Day Three has ended.

Squill has been lynched.

Squill was a Goblin Thief (Vanilla Town)

Final Votecount

griffinpup (0) -
Squill (2) - Nerjin, Rolepgeek
Rolepgeek (0) -
birdy51 (1) - griffinpup
Nerjin (0) -

Not Voting - Squill, birdy51

Lurker Tracker

Night Three has begun, and will end on Monday, August 26 at 8:00pm CST, or when I have received all night actions.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:06:06 am by Okami No Rei »
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - Day Four - Dwarf Fortress 0.82.06
« Reply #548 on: August 26, 2013, 11:49:16 am »

Spoiler: Dwarf Fortress 0.82.06 (click to show/hide)

Night 3 has ended.

griffinpup has been killed!

griffinpup was a Goblin Thief (Vanilla Town)

Rolepgeek (0) -
birdy51 (0) -
Nerjin (0) -

Not Voting - Rolepgeek, birdy51, Nerjin

Shorten (0/2) -

Lurker Tracker

Day Four has begun.

Note: The game is now in LYLO (Lynch Scum or Lose).  Due to shenanigans in BMXLI, an experimental rule is now in effect.  There is no formal deadline.  The day will end when one of two conditions are met:

1.  Players vote to Shorten.  This vote may be conditional on lynching the player you are voting for (this is the only allowed conditional).  You must specify whether your vote is a Shorten or a Conditional Shorten.

2. More than 24 hours pass without anyone changing their vote.  This rule will not be enforced prior to the normal 72-hour time limit for days (Thursday, August 29 at 8:00pm CST).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:58:28 am by Okami No Rei »
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 26, 2013, 11:55:47 am »

Well then. That makes things a bit obvious. Griffinpup was pressuring birdy51, birdy51 has seemed scummy for a good amount of time now, and his only major competitor is now dead, and townie.

birdy51: Probably should've night killed Nerjin instead; then I'd have more trouble deciding.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 26, 2013, 12:04:24 pm »

Alright... So Rolepgeek why do you assume that the scum is birdy51? Please point out some relevant data that lead to this conclusion.

Where's NQT anyways? Isn't he still an IC? I haven't heard from him... Anyways:

This requires a LOT of work here. Reread the entire thread at least once. Keep in mind that one of us three is scum. How did each of us interact with the other players? What's our voting record?

Birdy51: Why didn't you vote yesterday? You stated that you were suspicious of Griffpup but you unvoted him because of mine and Rolepgeek's voting of Squill. What is your opinion now? Please state your case on your main suspect.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 26, 2013, 01:49:56 pm »

(I last appeared to give Squill some advice on Day 3 and I'll be watching the LYLO very attentively.)

LYLO TIME
Town or scum, there are three things I advise doing at this juncture:

If you're town, use this information to help weed out the traitor in your midst. If you're scum, use it to fill the other player's hearts with doubt.

This is my favourite time of a game: the whole thing is a puzzle laid out for you. If you want any general advice, I'm happy to answer questions.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 26, 2013, 04:41:45 pm »

Rolepgeek:

Well then. That makes things a bit obvious. Griffinpup was pressuring birdy51, birdy51 has seemed scummy for a good amount of time now, and his only major competitor is now dead, and townie.

birdy51: Probably should've night killed Nerjin instead; then I'd have more trouble deciding.

Your theory is based on the idea that I'm scum. However, it was quite apparent to everyone that Griffinpup and I were butting heads, a fact which his killer would have certainly took note of.

Nerjin:

Alright... So Rolepgeek why do you assume that the scum is birdy51? Please point out some relevant data that lead to this conclusion.

This requires a LOT of work here. Reread the entire thread at least once. Keep in mind that one of us three is scum. How did each of us interact with the other players? What's our voting record?

Birdy51: Why didn't you vote yesterday? You stated that you were suspicious of Griffpup but you unvoted him because of mine and Rolepgeek's voting of Squill. What is your opinion now? Please state your case on your main suspect.

Something felt off about the Squill lynch. Squill was a new player and the kind of player who would probably make mistakes. Then, he inadvertently presented himself as a target of opportunity by saying that he didn't know what to do at this late point in the game. Which prompted both you and Rolepgeek in rapid succession to vote to lynch him.

I unvoted Griffinpup so I could address the issue properly. Neither of  the cases you made against him were particularly strong. They were both light accusations that weren't strong enough to constitute the lynching of Squill.   Hell, Rolepgeek even admitted to the fact that he didn't think Squill was scum and yet he lynched him. However, you were coming from the position of an IC, a player meant to teach the younger players how to play. That didn't stop you either for picking on his mistake to your advantage.

So both of you flew onto my scum-radar rather rapidly. But I suppose none of that really matters right now.

The greatest question for me to answer now  who has been deceiving the Town. As it has been suggested, I need to allot some time to start on another reread and try to figure this one out before jumping into a case.
BIRDS.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 27, 2013, 08:56:42 pm »

Alright... I've finished my reread.

Tommorow I'm going to give a heads up on what my thought process and who I believe is the most likely to be scum... But tonight I have to polish up on some homework.

We've all been a bit busy it seems... Judging on how silent the thread has been.
BIRDS.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - Day One - A Cunning Plan
« Reply #554 on: August 27, 2013, 09:39:15 pm »

Nerjin, you are a rolecop for the mafia. Who do you inspect first?
You rolecop and find the cop and the doctor. Which one do you and your scumbuddies lynch first?
Nerjin

This. Right here, this alone lets me know you're the scum, birdy.
This was his way of trying to subtly get Nerjin's advice. He could have done so completely privately if Nerjin was scum. This alone could make you the scum by process of elimination, but when you combine this with the peculiar way you've been acting, the fact that griffinpup, who was pushing a case on you, was the one to die, and the fact that your predecessors lurked incessantly, tells me that you are the scum. You just threw IG under the bus when it was clear that people were getting suspicious of him.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41