Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 41

Author Topic: BM XLII - Game Over: Mafia Win!  (Read 75141 times)

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - Day Two - Goblin Food - One Replacement Requested
« Reply #390 on: August 04, 2013, 11:27:55 am »

Griffionday and Gun:
It's still your responsibility to play this game until a replacement can be found.  As such, i would appreciate a response or at least a concise case for lynching me.  Pretty much just a paragraph summarizing your points.

And IG:
Stop lurking and give reasons for putting your vote onto me.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 04, 2013, 05:04:25 pm »

Until you can prove yourself innocent from your actions on day one, the vote stays.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 04, 2013, 05:16:34 pm »

Until you can prove yourself innocent from your actions on day one, the vote stays.
IG:
The burden of proof is on you, not me.  You have to prove why I'm scum.  You don't even have a case, and you want me to explain why I'm town.  NO.  STOP BEING A LAZY PIECE OF BANDWAGONING SCUM, AND AT LEAST TRY TO PLAY THIS GAME.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 04, 2013, 05:37:39 pm »

And Extend.  We're looking at two completely new replacements, and a lynch target who's explanations aren't being responded to.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 04, 2013, 09:58:53 pm »

Extend I am so sorry guys I've just been really busy and haven't had any time over the past couple of days to get a good read.

Imperial Guardsman that's a lazy way of doing things. What are your reasons for voting?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 04, 2013, 10:12:54 pm »

Alright.
I voted you to see what you would do.
OMGUS?

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - Day Two - Goblin Food
« Reply #396 on: August 05, 2013, 12:54:09 am »

19 Hours remain in Day 2

Day Two will end on Monday, August 5 at 8:00pm CST

GUNINANRUNIN (0) -
griffinpup (3) - GUNINANRUNIN, Griffionday, Imperial Guardsman
Griffionday (0) -
Powder Miner (0) -
Imperial Guardsman (2) - griffinpup, Nerjin
Chink (0) -
Nerjin (0) -

Not Voting - Powder Miner, Chink

Extend (2/3) - griffinpup, Nerjin
Shorten (0/4) -

One more vote needed to extend.

Griffionday has requested replacement.
GUNINANRUNIN has requested replacement.

Lurker Tracker
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 05, 2013, 01:37:17 am »

Ah right, I forgot to unvote, sorry about that.

Apparently you have misinterpreted that.  You see, not needing something doesn't mean that it's not in any way useful to me at any point in the game.  I find reads useful.  I don't find them necessary.  I also don't need to know precisely what IG meant, although it might prove to be useful.
I still don't see what was confusing about IG's reads.  They seemed rather straightforward to me.

I completely disagree.  Hypocrisy is not what I'm looking for, but contradictions.  Hypocrisy is telling people not to do something, while doing it yourself and is not necessarily scummy.  Contradictions are saying and doing opposing things.  Contradicting yourself IS scummy.  It shows willingness to drastically change your play depending on the situation at hand to serve your best interests.  Scum try to manipulate, and as such they change their play to best suit their needs.  Also, scum tend to slip when pretending to scumhunt.  Since they have to fabricate cases on people, it's more likely, in my opinion, that scum also will contradict themselves on what their opinion actually is, or have fallacious logic to back up their cases.  Town, on the other hand, rarely change their style of play or do contradicting things.  They have no need to.  Their goal is to find scum.  The way you go about scumhunting as town doesn't change enough throughout the game to create contradictions.  The way scum attempt to manipulate town usually does.
The whole purpose of RVS is to find contradictions in people's play later on in the game.  Why not find contradictions in how people are playing in other parts of the game as well?
So saying I find X person town and then a week later attacking them over something would be scummy?  Because that would be a direct contradiction but wouldn't necessarily be a scum only tactic.  What if you've decided that they needed to be pressured whether or not you think they're scum, just so if they are they can't hide?

Because not doing so gives the game to scum on a silver platter.  If saying: "I find you town" is reason not to critique someone, for fear of being thrown to the inquisition by scum legitimately saying you are contradicting yourself then scum can relax after the RVS phase.

Also the point of the RVS phase is isn't to spot contradictions.  The point is to leave it as soon as possible.  How one does so depends on their nature and play style.

But there's one really interesting sentence in this paragraph that I want to mention.
"building information on what people say is... pointless."
If building information on what people say is pointless, what do you build information on? 

How they say things, what they don't say, etc.  Basically the fluff surrounding what they say is FAR more important than the specific details of what they say.

Using current information to prove a statement in the past is fallacious logic.  Note this hypothetical.  If I ask someone why they know that Dave was town in day one, and they later respond by quoting his role-flip, they managed to avoid the question as well as attempt to prove their prior reasoning by events and material that came out later.  This implies that they actually didn't have valid reasoning prior to Dave's role flip.  You just did a very similar thing.  Now answer the question, this time without quoting something that happened after your statement.
Possibly if I find time, this is the kind of stuff I don't have time for.

But besides the invalidity of your answer, it also implied that I gain absolutely nothing from disproving parts of your case on me, which is obviously untrue.  That doesn't make sense regardless of whether I'm scum or not.  I have clear motivation to find out where your accusations come from and if they really exist.

Shouldn't you already know that?

I asked this question because I was accused of lurking.  Clearly Dave looked at the times of my posts to realize that fact, and I was wondering if I really did lurk. (failed attempt at witty sarcasm)

In all actuality, his logic for voting me was bogus.  I knew that I wasn't lurking, and forcing Dave to answer that question would of made him say it himself.  If that was really his reason for voting me, he'd be able to defend it.  If he couldn't defend it, it would mean that he had other reasoning for voting me.  Tying the vote, for example.
Saying: "What is my post frequency?" is a bullshit way of getting someone to admit that you are not lurking.  Prodding based on content you added to the game I could understand, but asking him to analyze the frequency of your posts seems needlessly defensive.

Hey Nerjin, why are you buddying griffinpup?

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 05, 2013, 07:19:53 am »

12 Hours remain in Day 2

Day Two will end on Monday, August 5 at 8:00pm CST

GUNINANRUNIN (0) -
griffinpup (2) - GUNINANRUNIN, Imperial Guardsman
Griffionday (0) -
Powder Miner (0) -
Chink (0) -
Nerjin (0) -

Not Voting - Powder Miner, Chink, Griffionday

NOTE: TIE VOTES WILL RESULT IN A NO-LYNCH

Extend (2/3) - griffinpup, Nerjin
Shorten (0/4) -

One more vote needed to extend.

Lurker Tracker
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - Day Two - Goblin Food - Two Replacements Requested
« Reply #399 on: August 05, 2013, 09:30:49 am »

Extend

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 05, 2013, 02:09:00 pm »

I still don't see what was confusing about IG's reads.  They seemed rather straightforward to me.
This seemed straightforward?
Powderminer is activelurking from the look of it, but he is still asking good questions and actively trying to obtain information.
Town, leaning towards scum.
So saying I find X person town and then a week later attacking them over something would be scummy?  Because that would be a direct contradiction but wouldn't necessarily be a scum only tactic.  What if you've decided that they needed to be pressured whether or not you think they're scum, just so if they are they can't hide?
Obviously every single contradiction a player can make isn't scummy.  I'm not looking for those.  But let's say Player X day one has a super aggressive playstyle and tends to ignore accusations against them.  In day two however, he acts defensively, and only halfheartedly pursues targets.  I would argue that that is a scummy change of playstyle.  Also note the contradiction NQT did last Revolution.  He played up analysis of teams and votes far more then actual discussion, but then mentioned a viable scum strategy "supposedly" to initiate such discussion.  This slip up eventually led to the discovery that he was scum.
Also the point of the RVS phase is isn't to spot contradictions.  The point is to leave it as soon as possible.  How one does so depends on their nature and play style.
I heartily disagree.  If the point was to leave RVS as quickly as possible, you wouldn't ask questions applicable to mafia.  It may be good to leave the RVS phase quickly, but the point is to look for contradictions in what people say and do later in the game.
How they say things, what they don't say, etc.  Basically the fluff surrounding what they say is FAR more important than the specific details of what they say.
I have to mention this.  The fluff around the specific details that they say is also WHAT THEY SAY.
\
Using current information to prove a statement in the past is fallacious logic.  Note this hypothetical.  If I ask someone why they know that Dave was town in day one, and they later respond by quoting his role-flip, they managed to avoid the question as well as attempt to prove their prior reasoning by events and material that came out later.  This implies that they actually didn't have valid reasoning prior to Dave's role flip.  You just did a very similar thing.  Now answer the question, this time without quoting something that happened after your statement.
Possibly if I find time, this is the kind of stuff I don't have time for.
I'm absolutely sure it's a time issue, and not the fact that you can't find anything.

If this really is a point in your case against me, you should know where some examples are.  This question shouldn't require a reread to find the answer.
But besides the invalidity of your answer, it also implied that I gain absolutely nothing from disproving parts of your case on me, which is obviously untrue.  That doesn't make sense regardless of whether I'm scum or not.  I have clear motivation to find out where your accusations come from and if they really exist.

Shouldn't you already know that?
I'm not perfect.  Although I believe that your accusations are unfounded, I'm not certain of that fact.
Saying: "What is my post frequency?" is a bullshit way of getting someone to admit that you are not lurking.  Prodding based on content you added to the game I could understand, but asking him to analyze the frequency of your posts seems needlessly defensive.
Wrong.  Making someone explain that they are wrong is always better then explaining why someone is.  This probably comes from the debater me though.

Asking him to analyze the frequency of my posts shouldn't of been a problem if he were telling the truth.  He would of already looked at that before making the accusation of lurking.  Only if he was lying about his motivation for voting me would my question make him do additional work.

GUN:
Please find time to respond to my post.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 05, 2013, 05:35:58 pm »

Day 2 has been extended.

Day 2 now ends on Wednesday, August 7 at 8:00pm CST

GUNINANRUNIN (0) -
griffinpup (2) - GUNINANRUNIN, Imperial Guardsman
Griffionday (0) -
Powder Miner (0) -
Chink (0) -
Nerjin (0) -

Not Voting - Powder Miner, Chink, Griffionday

NOTE: TIE VOTES WILL RESULT IN A NO-LYNCH

Extend (0/3) -
Shorten (0/4) -

Lurker Tracker

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - Day Two - Goblin Food - Two Replacements Requested
« Reply #402 on: August 05, 2013, 06:07:39 pm »

I hate to do this, but I might have to drop out of this one, becaue my attention span for multiple forums nd threads is not as high as I had thought it to be...

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - Day Two - Goblin Food - Three Replacements Requested
« Reply #403 on: August 05, 2013, 07:15:08 pm »

Powder miner, before you leave you should make a case on someone along with your vote.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - Day Two - Goblin Food - Three Replacements Requested
« Reply #404 on: August 05, 2013, 07:18:49 pm »

Holy fuck this game is having problems.

Depending on how difficult the launch of Lonely Prince is I may or may not replace in.  Have you tried trolling around the threshold list yet?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 41