Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192219 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1320 on: January 06, 2015, 12:02:04 am »

Even 1/7 water is enough to kill anyone standing on it when it freezes.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: January 06, 2015, 01:03:38 am »

Even 1/7 water is enough to kill anyone standing on it when it freezes.

Or, in retrospect, any invaders too... I've built a system that spawns water across the map constantly from the center of it (outside my fort obviously) then back down in a trench to refill into a resevoir that is spewing it.

A) Sometimes drags idiots down into the reservoir and drowns them.

B) In winter, the entire map turns to ice outside my fort, effectively being a 'reset the map' - purging siegers, and if fully covered - basically blocking any further sieges till it thaws.

Course, it's map specific, but a very fun invention. Did this with lava too, though, not so fun as it's boring to kill everything so easily... oh, and it lags like HELL.

~*~

To keep on topic, I'm building a quaint surface dwarven town for... a mini game. Called the 'Fort of Carnage'. It's very simple. I design a nice, eye candy, functional base that is open to the sky in all regards, find a EVIL biome with a cloud that doesn't thrall (why is thralling like 80% chance? >.>), but is fatal or causes fatal injuries (This one causes unconciousness, tiredness, numbness, and 'blood balloon syndrome' where a dwarfs entire outside body swells like a giant blood balloon), meaning a fatal infection eventually.

Then, you play the game. You name each dwarf, assign them jobs, and gleefully watch as they try to survive and avoid the red clouds of sleepy-death, letting streamers or friends watch their dwarves, and see what hilarious end occurs to them.

Did I mention there's no army, no defenses, no walls? There is a way to run from sieges - but we'll lose people in that too. And the evil animals everywhere, already murdered 30+ Urist's just building this.

Survivor - Dwarf Fortress Edition! (except everyone who loses, dies horribly). At the least the town can be roofed and become a very viable fort later if I get sick of this. ;)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: January 08, 2015, 10:26:26 pm »

New fort, second spring and the first big migrant wave shows up. What's a geomancer? (Looks in raws) Whoah. Can he also be an earth mage?

What's this? A hill titan! "The Hill Titan Seal Seednsake Numberscholar has come! A gigantic three-eyed lark. It has a fat, bulging trunk and it bears a look of unbelievable peace. Its orange feathers are patchy."

Great, titans are trapavoid, and my spike hall is only half done. Larks fly, don't they? I don't even know if I can get him into my spike hall! I haven't even made a civilian alert burrow yet. Okay, everyone inside! Darn it, forgot to turn off hunting on the new migrants, three of them are all over the map. I can't turn on the spike hall until you buffoons are inside or you'll get speared! Run! Okay, looks like you all made it ahead of the titan, which is now... where?

No titan. Did it leave? Reports, people!

"The flying ({mithril piercing bolt}) strikes the Hill Titan in the upper body, tearing the muscle and tearing the heart!"
"A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack!"

And no impact report from hitting the tree, up in which the titan's corpse now rests. Meaning my new hunter just one-shotted a titan, straight to the heart. Mosus Atotrerras of the alchemist guild, I do not think you were destined to make potash all your life.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: January 11, 2015, 10:06:33 pm »

Playing an Orc Fort. Just defeated a dwarven siege, and my Orcs promptly butchered their bodies. I now have a year's worth of meat! And some decent quality weapons, too.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: January 12, 2015, 04:57:36 pm »

Playing an Orc Fort. Just defeated a dwarven siege, and my Orcs promptly butchered their bodies. I now have a year's worth of meat! And some decent quality weapons, too.

Playing an orc fort too, and nearing the end of year two. Had a bunch of invasions and still have some meat stored in cages. I have a nice masterwork dwarf skull totem pole as my central structure. Also a line of invader bone statues leading up to my sacrificial pit (well, mostly use it to train ranged troops, live targets are way better than wooden ones.)

Think "blood" with all that extra meat. Sell it off at a Freelancer's Guild and bank the coins, or buy scimitars, guns and ammo! Or make bloodsteel. I burn to ash all the vermin and bits and pieces those bodkin arrows slice off and make ironbone, then use some of the blood for bloodsteel. Best metal I can do on map is bronze, but I am not short of iron and steel0class metals from all the nice invaders.

Last invasion was four groups of humans along with three groups of war screech owls. The latter never attacked, but three of the human groups did one at a time (nice of them to offer themselves up to defeat in detail.) My archers ran them all off before they even got to my trapped entrance. I have nine cage traps for meat storage, but had to settle for already dead corpses this round. Maybe I should leave the archers out of the gate overwatch until the traps are loaded up.

Tinkering with getting some magic users going from scratch this time. I have some four dreamwalkers now, but none are trained so far.  Have four places of power up (they are pretty) around my central totem pole (and stairs down through the aquifer to the main indoors areas) and a pile of scalps, but precious metals hard to come by. Need gold. Human invaders wear some and I got a couple shields and one breastplate (wonder why that guy died...) in this siege, so getting close to a bit more progress.

Been raiding a lot. Got my kobold and goblin immigrants all working, but none of the major race prisoners so far. Not counting the ones in my cage traps, that is. Did get one map, and used it. And also a blueprint for a Legion Auxilia, which I don't particularly want to use this fort.

I may have enough gold and silver for the Meadhall now. I do want to try some warrior society warriors this time. My two best warriors (my guard trainers) are two female Uruk ronin. Still debating what society I want for them. They are both legendary archers already, and one is also close with a spear, but I like the idea of katanas or dai-katanas. I wanted them to skilled for training reasons. The militia will use toothed spears, which I love, along with some sort of ranged.

Building a few archer towers out where invaders tend to camp so I can run them off or kill them easier too. This is a 4x4 map and main fort is close to the center, so from the walls all the edges are out of bow range. I get to pierce the aquifer for each tower. Something to do... only one layer so pretty easy. I just drop the two top layers onto it. Makes putting a well into those remote towers a snap too.

Need to run off the invaders so I can keep annoying elves by having the fort riff-raff chop down all that ash-to-be. The militia in training also love to chase wildlife all over the map for "practice." I think they just love the blood.

Let's see, one dwarf, one elf and three human sieges. Two of the latter overlapped and were smaller than this last one. Still only show at war with the elves though. Despite my repeated raiding of merchant fleets.

Btw, kobold butcher their enemies too. Yum.

Oh, and an addendum, I had one orc missing (well, not really, he's at the bottom of the stream) in a gate-closing accident. He was not quite fast enough and got helped along a bit too encouragingly and went out over the walls about 30 urists into the river. Graveyard remains empty after two years. A lot of luck on timing thus far. I now expect a couple ultra-megabeasts to rectify that. (I had a balrog, merchant guards whacked it before it came twoards fort, and a were-something my archers nailed pretty fast, along the way, but no real challenge so far.)

Fort value about 1.2 million though. Laminar leather and loot (along with the usual prepared foods stocks) mostly. Most of my metals stock (which is not small) is in copper and tin. Lots for ammo. Will turn it into bronze to stretch it even more, since tin on its own isn't useful for ammo.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:07:37 pm by vonsch »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: January 12, 2015, 05:21:23 pm »

Can't go wrong with Dragon society for bow-uruks!  Which others are you considering?  Do you have any barbarian codexes, or only choosing from the domestic societies?

>> three groups of war screech owls

Ah, humans.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:23:47 pm by smakemupagus »

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: January 12, 2015, 05:45:59 pm »

Can't go wrong with Dragon society for bow-uruks!  Which others are you considering?  Do you have any barbarian codexes, or only choosing from the domestic societies?

>> three groups of war screech owls

Ah, humans.

Only codex so far is a druid one. Need meadhall. Do codexes require more gold and silver, if so, may need more invasions first. Or traders. Forget if I asked for gold. Think I did. There is SOME silver down stairs in the rock somewhere. Galena in a minor amount. Or maybe I can smelt down some coins if I start changing up all this rusty iron I have banked.

Dragon seems to keep rising to the top of the society list, though I'm seeing what I can do for guns also. Maybe falcon and/or seawolf for militia, once it's trained. Not sure about bolas. Can I still make those? I know kobolds love them. I like blademaster, but no ranged... Might train up one for giggles.

Side note: Got two artisan orcs which are working up weaponsmithing and armoring, but also got two orclings artisans (which I can't control much, but don't care anymore!) At this rate the orclings will be legendary in 3 or more skills before they hit 5 years. Already both are legendary bone carvers, over 8 in leathercrafting, and 12+ in woodworking. I have them locked out of the forges for now though. Just started them using up my too large bone pile (even with bone furniture it's piling up faster than I can use it) on composite bows to skill that up. My adult bowyer is my weaponsmith and best leatherworker too, so he's too busy to skill up bows. Hmm, looks like 6 legendaries is possible before they grow up with raw materials and micromanagement. Talk about child prodigies.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: January 12, 2015, 05:56:23 pm »

Nope, you don't need money for warrior society arms anymore, just the weapons themselves and a war standard for each one.  Plus the re-useable codex of course if it's a barbarian society.

Falcon is jagged spear & atlatl now, so it uses javelin ammo; i decided to leave bola aside for the kobolds.  It's a fine militia kit, pretty easy to craft.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: January 12, 2015, 06:10:02 pm »

Nope, you don't need money for warrior society arms anymore, just the weapons themselves and a war standard for each one.  Plus the re-useable codex of course if it's a barbarian society.

Falcon is jagged spear & atlatl now, so it uses javelin ammo; i decided to leave bola aside for the kobolds.  It's a fine militia kit, pretty easy to craft.

I must have seen that bola thing in the change notes. I see I can still make bold bola throwers though.

Hmm, javalins are easy ammo to make, unlike bullets (since I like all the minerals in my embark), but I can buy bullets... decisions.

Looks like I got four gold bars out of this last invasion, but still telling me I lack gold bars. Odd. Maybe not in stockpile yet.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: January 13, 2015, 10:59:12 am »

Well, strange things be afoot in my fortress...

The first strange thing?
I now have a Guardian of Armok. I have no clue where it came from, although I guess it must have come with one of the migrants.

Two, I have apparently struck "non euclidean rock". This scares me very, very much, because nothing with "non euclidean" in the name can be good.

\Finally: How the hell do I butcher living rock? I can't figure out how...

Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: January 13, 2015, 11:05:23 am »

Living rock is butchered in the large slaughterhouse, the one requiring a serrated disk.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: January 13, 2015, 11:15:42 am »

I now have a Guardian of Armok. I have no clue where it came from, although I guess it must have come with one of the migrants.

Probably found by an archaeologist. They'll sometimes find Guardians amid fossils and relics if I'm not mistaken.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: January 13, 2015, 11:21:27 am »

Probably found by an archaeologist. They'll sometimes find Guardians amid fossils and relics if I'm not mistaken.
Oh, sweet. Well, thanks for the help, Splint & Bolt. Much appreciated.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: January 13, 2015, 01:59:04 pm »

Simply striking non euclidean rock is no big deal. Mining it, on the other hand, leads to much fun. The scenario is definitely meant to invoke Lovecraft.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: January 14, 2015, 06:16:52 pm »

Inspired to post a pic after the last invasion, nagas this time. My guard trainers were bored (or maybe it was me), so I let them out to go mano-a-mano instead of letting the bow orcs get more practice. They got SOME practice, but it didn't last long.

It's early summer of 104. I have two citizens in the graveyard, but about 15 merchant guards, merchants and some orcs who arrived as part of an undead invasion. They were once orcs so they got graves. Burned the rest of the undead corpses and butchered the more recently living to sell their meat and blood to the caravanserai and freebooters. The rest went into good orc crafts.

No nagas escaped. Was over very fast once I opened the gate bridge.  :o  My guards trainers were working on their melee skills (both are legendary boworcs. They are in the 6-7 range only. Fighter is at 20 though. dodging, shield and armor are still pretty low too, none above 5. I guess nagas aren't all that skilled as enemy races go. And they were all bow users, so it was very one-sided. I think one bolt landed in the clothing layer (a shot from the rear) and it just inflicted a minor bruise. No practice for my shaman. Lots of dodging and blocking of flying missiles in the charge, then it was all lopped off limbs and heads. One uses a volcanic scimitar that my archeologist polished up and the other a bloodsteel toothed spear my weaponsmith handmade for her.

http://imgur.com/6IaaPYI

Oh, I did have one loss. Someone's pet Arctic Condor flew down on a brief suicide flight. Before the gate was even open. Silly bird.

There's a gatehouse above the north complex that's fortified all around so they have a great field of fire over the entrances. The slopes down near the 3-wide bridge are my wagon entrance. It won't pass walkers (though it will fliers, I think.... but then the whole fort is open to the sky except the gatehouse and south corner towers. So far, despite the war screech owls and a balrog, haven't had any flier visits (aside from an owl or two that was wingshot casually by once of the bow orcs.) Sooner or later something will come over the walls though.

On the right is my first failed attempt at a surface danger room. Forgot how hard it is to get them inside something with one-layer walls. I will either thicken them up, or use z levels to restrict their standing room. Which reminds me, I can put up some small shooting platforms around the walls that are quick and simple and will give me much better coverage.

FFF
F_F
___ (z+1)

___
 r (z)

F- fortification
w - wall
r - ramp
_ - "floor/nothing"

If you "station" the bow team on the wall top. they will all cram in there because there's no other spot on that z-level where they can stand.

And in the middle of checking that that configuration will actually still work (think I used it in an earlier fort, but want to be sure I'm not misremembering) a weaponsmith was possessed and actually made something moderately useful:

http://i.imgur.com/ldDhtxJ

Actually, been doing reasonably well on artifacts. Meteoric barrel probably not much practical use (on display in great hall), but the pure malachite throne and the bone door went into the great hall in useful fashion. Guess I could actually use the pure cassiterite quern, but just put it on display also. At least no tallow spears or gold socks (we aren't dwarves, orcs don't wear socks!)

Oops, got careless and deconstructed leaving a hanging corner. Bad bruising on the poor scribe. Practice for my shaman, at last! Nope, he shrugged it off. Darned tough orc.

Yep, still works. Just can't (1) build one on a corner because stairs won't work since they can stand on those and (2) build one so there are available diagonals due to more than one ramp or other way out of the 1-urist box. Near a corner works, sort of offset to one side one urist.

Here's a working corner. Also shows z+1 of the fort's gatehouse. Oh, have to forbid those doors or some of the squad will exit onto the wall through them rather than pile up in the 1 urist corner they way I intend. Need doors onto wall top, or ramps, for those instances where someone dodges up a z level and ends up on the wall. If you don't notice, they starve if they have no way down.  Or enemy archers help them down.

http://imgur.com/rKvZLuu

That red square in the south center is my gladiatorial pit. It's a bit fiddly to pit captives from cages one at a time for melee fighters who kill them pretty quickly, but it's great for missile practice. The steelclad horses the humies bring along for food offerings to us are especially good. They can take a lot of wooden arrows before they finally say neigh one last time. That's why the fort's missile skills are far in advance of melee skills. The dwarves' steelclad boars are also good.

The pit is two levels deep. After that it's aquifer. My underground farms are in those first two layers, along with my hospital and the trade depot, the caravanserai buildings, the buccaneer tavern. my "bank" and the crematory. The center square is my aquifer piercing. I left room in case I decided to use minecart hauling, but only using minecarts for quantum stockpiles so far. My bank is 5 one-square quantum piles side by side, one for each denomination (rusty iron, copper, silver, gold, platinum), and is put there so it's central to the tavern, caravanserai and raiding docks to minimize travel lugging all those stacks of coins around.

http://imgur.com/urrpsuR

http://imgur.com/nig0ZZA

I have read elsewhere that aquifers don't support fish. That's not my experience here. A couple fisher orcs are landing pond turtles, crayfish and at least roach fish. The occasional shell is useful in my ongoing production of laminated leather (just not enough wood for all of it!), but mostly I sell off the fish for coppers and burn the remains for ash.

The farms near the stairs in the square of water count as outside. Those are mostly trees or wood bulbs. Aside from those I have some rope reeds topside, pig tails in the underground farms and a few odds and ends for dyes, poisons or the occasional brew. Mostly my orcs drink water. Good, pure aquifer water from wells.

The crematory also sits out there in the shaft where it's "outside."

In looking at this I noticed I put in a bridge to block the trade tunnel and forgot it was linked to a lever in the great hall, which I promptly relinked to my danger room spear traps. That bridge is just to bock fliers should they try to follow a wagon in. My luck with merchant wagons has not been good. They keep coming with sieges and somewhere along the line one merchant will die and the others will refuse to trade. It's a big enough map that they are exposed a while. I may have to put in a completely safe pathway for them if I keeping having trouble. That or I start atom-smashing my old clothes. I usually unload all those on the traders.  8)

Below the aquifer is my wood, leather and cloth industry, along with the butchers and kitchen. The great hall is about 5-6 levels down, then the bedrooms on three layers below that. The stone and metal industry is down at -25-26. I have hit the great cavern, but hit it in the ceiling, so haven't done anything down there yet. Saw an ant ambush kill a forgotten beast that spawned there, but that's about it.

I have a war wolf guarding the stair bottom that opens into the ceiling rather than having closed it up. Might see some flier through there too.

Back to figuring out how to make my magic users effective, making the danger room work right (get inside, dammit!) and maybe making a mist "shower" between the great hall and the new food stockpile.

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 113