Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192245 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1125 on: August 05, 2014, 06:17:33 pm »

It's clearly a trap. Destroy it!

Already done, a swordsdwarf slashed off his foot, then his leg, then his torso (WTF?). Sad thing is, in 5.10 Meph removed the Slaughterhouse, but apparentlyforgot to update the megabeast butchering reactions.

It's a distance thing. Use auotdump or disable all of your other dumps and have a dwarf drag over the giant's icon-bearing remains (not the severed bits,) to it and it should work.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1126 on: August 05, 2014, 06:20:11 pm »

splint, megabeasts leave itemcorpses which are used in custom reaction in the slaughterhouse. they can not be butchered in the butchery.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: August 05, 2014, 06:22:59 pm »

Please stop using my name in that manner. And it's still a distance thing. I was talking about the '(mangled) megabeast "remains,"' not the meaty bits the swordsdwarf sliced off being moved closer to the slaughterhouse, not the butcher's shop. I had to do that to get some dead dragons properly dissected.

Those meaty chunklets that got lopped off should only have that little 2 thingy, no icon, original creature or otherwise. Unless I missed something (or am just painfully unobservant) since the latest I've played is the one I'm using Riverrun with.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1128 on: August 05, 2014, 06:43:35 pm »

Please stop using my name in that manner.
What do you mean by that?

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 05, 2014, 08:01:14 pm »

Oh, derp. For some reason I remember reading patch notes that it was removed.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 05, 2014, 11:24:35 pm »

Made what I thought was a small change to world gen -- tweaked the minimum cavern openness up to 50 (but left the layers-between-caverns at 1 layer).  Now I have access to all three caverns within 15 levels of the surface  ???

"Praise the miners" before I even had a mason's workshop built! (mid summer of year 1 -- had been building a nice wood and clay hillside settlement, I was just delving for stone to make a mechanism for the fletcher...)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 06, 2014, 01:30:39 am »

It remains to be seen just how many will regret those comments in the upcoming months..that is, if Orgormas can ever turn her attention from the poor, battered grimling (who's tried making several breaks for it, but having spent so long in hand-to-hand combat, the Lady of Pain has become legendary in the martial arts and is unbelievably fast and strong.  Note to self:  Capture Grimlings in the future for novice sparring partners).

I wonder if fighters still die of thirst mid fight. If not, legendary kickers will do wonders.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: August 06, 2014, 04:39:55 am »

I have access to all three caverns within 15 levels of the surface  ??? "Praise the miners" before I even had a mason's workshop built! (mid summer of year 1 -- had been building a nice wood and clay hillside settlement, I was just delving for stone to make a mechanism for the fletcher...)

This has been an interesting fort.  I can't find any other metal other than the adamantine, which is swarming with Deep Ones and other cavern nasties.  Fought dwarves with clubs & shields to loot their swords.  Fought elves with those swords in order to loot bows, butcher unicorns and jumpstart bloodsteel production.  All going well until a fire elemental from the magma forge (~20 levels below the surface...) torches an orc, who runs upstairs and sets on fire every single thing in the fort.  Leather, cloth, squig & condor nests, food and booze, wood, dorms, all gone. Survivors are grumpy.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1133 on: August 06, 2014, 04:51:00 am »

I have access to all three caverns within 15 levels of the surface  ??? "Praise the miners" before I even had a mason's workshop built! (mid summer of year 1 -- had been building a nice wood and clay hillside settlement, I was just delving for stone to make a mechanism for the fletcher...)

This has been an interesting fort.  I can't find any other metal other than the adamantine, which is swarming with Deep Ones and other cavern nasties.  Fought dwarves with clubs & shields to loot their swords.  Fought elves with those swords in order to loot bows, butcher unicorns and jumpstart bloodsteel production.  All going well until a fire elemental from the magma forge (~20 levels below the surface...) torches an orc, who runs upstairs and sets on fire every single thing in the fort.  Leather, cloth, squig & condor nests, food and booze, wood, dorms, all gone. Survivors are grumpy.
That sounds fun. I should include a worldgen like that. Hell in 10 easy steps. :D

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 07, 2014, 11:23:27 am »

Steam-house completed, engraved, with adjacent soap stockpile, filled by waterfall (see the mist), powered by magma steam engines:

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 07, 2014, 10:49:42 pm »

Well for me what happened was that early in the fortress, i was invaded by giant 4 Koati's, i drafted my lumberjack to the military, not before making a rigid scaleplate helm and armour though, but what i didn't make was gloves (ran out of scales) so i sent him to the koati's. He killed one....... and then the other one ate his hand.

It was then when he decided to run. That was the first time i ever saw a military dwarf logically logically asses the situation and runaway from a fight he couldn't win. Funnily enough the koati's also ran away.

So after that, i did what any sane dwarf fortress player would do.... i immediately create a fully functional hospital in under 5 minutes. But i had a problem... he wasn't going to the hospital for some reason. I tried googling and disabling all of the doctors other labors. After i finally gave up i pressed z and checked the health tab.

Apparently what happened was that despite missing a hand and still flashing heavily wounded, he stopped bleeding by himself. So what that meant was the reason why nobody was operating on him was because he had already recovered from his injuries.

It was the most incredible thing that happened to me.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 08, 2014, 02:15:47 am »

It was then when he decided to run. That was the first time i ever saw a military dwarf logically logically asses the situation and runaway from a fight he couldn't win. Funnily enough the koati's also ran away.

Indeed before 0.40 dwarves already ran away from fights that turns badly, but the conditions make it quite rare. I had a dwarf ran away from goblins when outnumbered and wounded, towards his squadmates, such common sense stunned me.

kizucha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 08, 2014, 02:46:49 am »

Hm maybe the taste was horrible? ;D

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 08, 2014, 10:04:35 am »

Hey it's me again

When i first embarked I inspected all the visible ore veins that i could find. After inspection i found one blood of armok and 2 mythril ore in the carp infested river. Although disappointed i moved on.

One day, the water froze, and i suddenly realized that i could finally mine my precious minerals.

So i sent my dwarves to mine the things, but then i got greedy. I designated them to mine the galena and gems as well. While they were mining and my other dwarves were bringing the loot to the stockpile.... my river unfroze.

All my miners and many of the dwarves who were bringing stuff to the stockpiles perished.

I had to abandon
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1139 on: August 08, 2014, 10:06:19 am »

Tip: When the river freezes, dig the ice on the side the river enters the map. Build floodgates. When the river unfreezes, you will have a dam.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 113