Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192263 times)

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1110 on: July 31, 2014, 07:18:59 pm »

note: high quality wooden trap components sell for a lot.. I had a few wooden stakes go for over 200 orkbuks!

Wow, the * quality ones go  for over 500

Wheelbarrows. When playing gnomes or dwarves, I always bring 1 dedicated hebalist. Masterwork wicker wheelbarrows sell for 1200.

I usually embark somewhere with peat for unlimited fuel. Then: Pray for soft metal/R, Forge Platinum Goblets 30/30 ad nauseam.

that takes a lot of time to get going. Last time I had 5 legendary dedicated priests and still I doubt I got enough platinum to buy all the turrets and golems I ordered from caravans.

Bauxite is usually plentiful in my embarks, so I get the metal from that and any titanite I find, put it in with the platinum. Silver and gold ore would be good too, but those have a high risk of metalwraiths raping my fort. Also, ores and even bars of precious metals are worth ordering from the caravan for the purpose of goblet making.

For me gold and silver are much more usefull as coins. Last dwarf fort of the final 190 adults only about 20 came as guildmembers. Beside that there is a lot of nice stuff in the market buildings that I would much rather sink my gold into. Anyway, caravan trading is usefull only for a few years at the start and most of the time there is no reason to trade metal since lavish meals are easy and cheap to make :D

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 01, 2014, 04:33:28 am »

That too, any gold comes from my priests it goes to the coin mint, while all the silver goes to the metallurgist's forge to make mithril (all hail steeloak plantations  ;) ).
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: August 01, 2014, 04:38:47 am »

note: high quality wooden trap components sell for a lot.. I had a few wooden stakes go for over 200 orkbuks!

Wheelbarrows. When playing gnomes or dwarves, I always bring 1 dedicated hebalist. Masterwork wicker wheelbarrows sell for 1200.

I usually embark somewhere with peat for unlimited fuel. Then: Pray for soft metal/R, Forge Platinum Goblets 30/30 ad nauseam.

that takes a lot of time to get going. Last time I had 5 legendary dedicated priests and still I doubt I got enough platinum to buy all the turrets and golems I ordered from caravans.

Bauxite is usually plentiful in my embarks, so I get the metal from that and any titanite I find, put it in with the platinum. Silver and gold ore would be good too, but those have a high risk of metalwraiths raping my fort. Also, ores and even bars of precious metals are worth ordering from the caravan for the purpose of goblet making.

I thought metalwraiths were taken out?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: August 01, 2014, 04:50:31 am »

I thought metalwraiths were taken out?

They are in the raws. At least with Harder Mining.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1114 on: August 01, 2014, 04:56:32 am »

They are not.  :o

Shoggoths and Balrogs are, Metalwraiths are long gone.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: August 01, 2014, 09:15:45 am »

It's spring of the second year of my new orc fort. Mid-winter a siege of 30 zombies showed up and my 2-orc military has been slowly (the zombies mostly stay out of shot range) skilling up their bows from a shooting platform on the wall I quickly put up. Composite bows do have nice range. But after a season I am starting to eye food and booze supplies, The latter ran out, but I do have a well and more plants to brew (got distracted by the fighting and forgot to queue up more brew jobs.) Food looks okay, and I have crops in the ground (had that queued up!) Am working on a nice new farm plot in the first layer that I am roofing over with peat (gotta use that peat for something, since I can't compress it.)

This is a cool embark on a naturally defensible position (aside from swimmers and fliers, that is.) I have a stream flowing from NW, a fairly substantial river (7-8 wide) flowing from SW to NE and a waterfall and small lake where they meet. I am on highlands on the west side of the lake. There are sheer cliffs down to the river, three levels down, with some chunks of slope down to one level above the river on the south side. To the north across the stream is ground at my level, so a wall covers that from line of sight from the north. The west is walled (and the zombies are out there) and that's the direction the migrants and caravans have come from so far. I have a starting hall dug out down in the second stone layer below the aquifer (which I didn't have to penetrate this time, managed to slip under on my southern side). I have a beginning industrial zone down 15 levels or so. I did hit the first cave through the ceiling, and quickly closed that up, for now. I have lots of fishing places, ponds, the stream and river when I cut a landing down there for my longboats. I embarked with a farmer and a fisherman, so they can feed the 30 orcs who now live here on what they produce. Have a few steppe aurochs from the wagon team's breeding (killed one bull since I have two male calves growing, and two cows producing milk.)

Anyway, back to the action... I was thinking I would have to wait out this siege since there are still 25 standing zombies. Those are long odds for my two orcs, even if one is a bigun. They are in shell armor and have only basic (very) wrestling skills. I have ironbone production going so some scimitars of decent material are close, but no skill on either yet. Was letting them work on dodge, shield and armor while they waited for weapons.

Then the siege, and now an announcement: The wereelephant Brifeg Fendogref has come! My first thought, "when it rains, it pours." Then I saw he had entered on the west side just south of the stream. That put him almost on top of a zombie. He shortly was on top of that zombie's remains. And then he rampaged south stomping and tusking. His kill count is at 18 and still more to go. He's not gotten into shooting range so far. I am thinking he will finish off the siege and not having a path to my orcs revert to his normal form. Once that happens weres usually wander back off the map. Usually.

I may yet see a caravan this year! And my peaceful, rustic orcs can go back to their calm fishing and farming. (No plans to raid, not us, we're GOOD orcs... really! Besides, we're WAY up here on this cliff and the river is WAY down there, and there's a waterfall where the stream goes into the lake so we can't row downstream that way. You're safe, you nice civilized peoples, really! You have nothing to fear from Azguurzlatak!)

Buurgolg Laghortalata, Clanspeaker, goes back to loading a cage trap with an eye on the four giant cougars to the north he hopes to lure in with a nice new bridge across the stream. Blood for bloodsteel, skins for lamellar...

I finally figured out how to get ranged weapon users to stand where I want instead of 4 steps away. Use z levels. Instead of a big shooting platform, this time it's just three blocks with a ramp up from ground level. if I want to really micromanage, I bet one block is even better. Have to see how it works when they have ranged opponents though. Dodging may become an issue. I roofed it over so maybe they will only dodge off the back edge and come right back up.

Whoa, after killing 23 zombies, with barely a scratch, he up and died. But now I will make some scimitars and open the front gate. I have a sabercat and some cage traps, besides my two-man squad.

On further inspection of combat logs, it appears a gnome zombie berserked and kicked the were in the leg, flinging it into a stump, which stunned the were. Then the zombie kicked it in the head, which bruised the brain. So golden BB. And that leaves Monopol, the killer zombie, and two others.

That's the news from Lake Azguurzlatak, where the all the orclings are above average and everyone hugs trees (right before the lumberorc chops them down.)

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: August 01, 2014, 05:22:05 pm »

Mid-Autumn of the very first year. A small company of dwarves happily carving out unfinished infrastructure and workshop areas. All is well and safe with the mighty war steelclad grizzly at the entrance.

Suddently, a bloodthirsty werecoala appears. At first I start to fear the night as I have no silver. Luckily, I read the description and there is no mention of the werewolf resistances. But... after about 5 seconds, just as the terrible ( :D ) werekoala tears apart the scarecrows in the surface farms, it transforms into its original race. A. Freaking. Frost Giant. I have no real weapons (some basic copper stuff from embark), no soldiers, just the Frost Giant in my dining hall playing with the grizzly.

Well, this FUN was a lot quicker than all the previous ones :D

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: August 03, 2014, 12:27:06 pm »

So I downloaded Humies...

First embark I found out I needed to plan for bigger block sizes to accommodate not only the guilds (13x13 when fully expanded) but also some room for stairwells and such. Or maybe I will go vertical with the expansions too, still experimenting.

I embarked with 125 boulders on a river plain that's nice and flat. There's a brook, but it's not the stream I was hoping for. Should have paid more attention on the embark map. Streams are great for trapping. Drop a 1-wide bridge, build a chute on one end with a couple parallel walls, drop trap between the walls.  A lot of wildlife (and some ambushes!) will use that bridge to cross the stream. Voila! Free food with minimal attention. If I keep the trap count to three or so not too likely to deplete the wildlife too. In nasty environments I am a little more elaborate with gated access from underground to clear and reset the traps in safety.

It's not a swamp but even so it's studded with ponds and lakes. While they effectively shorten my early wall, they will need to be mostly drained.  I have an aquifer which will make that easy. I have two layers of aquifer which will, on the other hand, make my open pit mine a lot more of a challenge. Still trying to decide how to crack that nut most efficiently. I was hoping to have a reasonable sky for the miners, but may have to give up that plan. Or do a lot of pump work.

I wonder how viable it would be to just trade for stone for a while with a local trader. I can sell fish and booze easily enough.

In the past playing above ground I have either burrowed a little into the soil ('bolds when shovels are available) or waited a while to get a decent shelter up. Now I decided I'd rather get beds and a study down fast since I am not feeding my people booze. Occurred to me all I need is a temporary lean-to. I can run a 10-block wall with a ramp at the end, lay a 10-floor "ceiling" along it, then tuck the furniture under that. Can do that as fast as the carpenter make the furniture.

With an aquifer, a well is really quick also. Which is where all those boulders come in. Mechanisms? No problem! In fact, since I am bringing a mechanic 5 I can trade the good ones if I have nothing else to the caravan for other things.

Definitely a different play style though all the DF lore applies to building, defenses, etc.

I wonder how much difference high merchant skills will make...

Time to savescum back to spring and try a different size of city block.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: August 04, 2014, 10:28:00 am »

It's taken a year for me to be sure, but I believe I am witnessing my first human tantrum spiral. It's not like everyone's suddenly murdering eachother- humans aren't quite as violent as dwarves are, but rather that one guy got himself mauled by a werelizard and then some of his friends decided to starve to death, and then when they kicked it the friends of those people started sulking. They're dropping like flies and I'm not certain on how to stop it.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: August 04, 2014, 12:08:58 pm »

In retrospect, setting a newly caste-changed legion recruit to train/R on the weight bench immediately was not the smartest idea. He is miserable, stands in the dining room, naked, refuses to get dressed, has the task to go and smoke a pipe but doesn't move, already murdered a changeling and jammed an oven operator's skull into his outer brain (he's in the hospital... wtf). He's a Legendary +5 or more Athlete, with the related attribute boosts... ouch.

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 04, 2014, 08:15:33 pm »

The dawn of creation.

A horde of demons, fresh from the fires of the underworld, escaped their mad and horrid masters and rejoiced in their new-found freedom upon the surface, quickly forming into two groups and dispersing across the world.

5 years later, when the world is still new and creatures of myth and legend roam freely, a small group of these demons, winged females, all, were sent out across the sea from their original point of escape to create a foothold in new lands.  They were lead by Esasile, a succubi with lingering ties to the earth and its secrets, with her friend Orgormas, who still remembered some of her time as a quasi-guard of a demon lord that enjoyed spending more time putting her hand skills to work in his bed than in his army.

The initial few seasons were uneventful.  They elected to carve out the side of a cliff on the edge of the sea and build some cliff-side caves for now.  Most still felt uneasy with going too deep into the earth, knowing that their former kindred still lurked below.  Esasile was made of sterner stuff and quickly dug down deep.  It was soon that she found a vast cave of withered, struggling life and barren floors of mud.  Finding nothing worthwhile, she had a stairway constructed and continued to dig.  Meanwhile above, her friend Orgormas, rejoicing in her title as "Lady of Pain" quickly made work of anything that strayed too far from the open mouth of a cavern, not too far away.  Fortunately, only harmless blobs seemed to have found their way from the dark to the light.  The sea had washed up more succubi who were fleeing their home and quickly fell in with those already in the Outpost, finding comfort in their arms and in their organization.

In the group was a rare sight, an incubus and his chosen mate.  They were quickly put to work in forming furniture and necessities out of the wood felled nearby.

Autumn had come and Esasile emerged from the deep, calling for a courageous volunteer.  She spoke of amazing sights, of a cavern of blue lights and crystals, and one further down where the moss grew like blocks of paved stone and the light of magma, both comforting and alarming the memory of such, lit the surroundings from twin pools.  She had carved and blocked out a flow of magma and with some work, had fashioned a safe cave to make use of the molten rock.  Seeing as how one of their number was proficient in glassblowing and made of sterner stuff than the rest, Gurmacinde volunteered to start building up things of glass for their use.  So long as the sand from above kept coming, she happily worked and no one made anymore snickering comments about how she'd come to be so proficient in "lip blowing."

A wandering group of succubi merchants, knowing of their struggle, had come by and negotiated for goods to be delivered in the upcoming year.  By this time, it had become a regular sight to see Orgormas rolling about in the dirt with a wandering Grimling.  The beast had wandered too near and the agile succubi had taken offense to it's face.  She had spent the better part of a full season beating it into a pulp and tossing it about, never quite managing to put it down for good.  The observation was made that if she'd grab something a little more damaging than her fists, she'd have won long ago.  It was also observed that her former master had lost quite the prize in her, as she seemed very good at "wrestling," now, and that there would soon be little, ugly Orgormas roaming the sea cliffs.

It remains to be seen just how many will regret those comments in the upcoming months..that is, if Orgormas can ever turn her attention from the poor, battered grimling (who's tried making several breaks for it, but having spent so long in hand-to-hand combat, the Lady of Pain has become legendary in the martial arts and is unbelievably fast and strong.  Note to self:  Capture Grimlings in the future for novice sparring partners).

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 05, 2014, 05:27:59 pm »

A deity came into my fort. Surprisingly, it was friendly, but his descritpion was that of a mountain giant, plus Legends showed me the deity he impersonated was a Banshee deity... why are Banshee deities Friendly to my dwarves?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: August 05, 2014, 05:31:34 pm »

It's clearly a trap. Destroy it!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: August 05, 2014, 05:55:07 pm »

Already done, a swordsdwarf slashed off his foot, then his leg, then his torso (WTF?). Sad thing is, in 5.10 Meph removed the Slaughterhouse, but apparentlyforgot to update the megabeast butchering reactions.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1124 on: August 05, 2014, 06:13:57 pm »

Already done, a swordsdwarf slashed off his foot, then his leg, then his torso (WTF?). Sad thing is, in 5.10 Meph removed the Slaughterhouse, but apparentlyforgot to update the megabeast butchering reactions.
Removed the slaughterhouse? It should still be there.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 113