Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192124 times)

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #930 on: June 01, 2014, 11:21:32 pm »

I didn't know this was possible if I turned off disease :S

You have to turn them off before world generation or it'll still happen.

if you did, uh... maybe post a save? Might be a bug. I've not seen my unit list list diseases before myself... though, I turned diseases off as I got sick of skitzo's in my original 7, and going nuts within 3 seconds... >.>

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 02, 2014, 01:10:03 am »

note to self: =Limestone Sledgehammer= ; can do some serious damage.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #932 on: June 02, 2014, 05:14:09 am »

I think the plaguebearer is not a normal disease, but a SECRET or CURSE from worldgen. Like the Geomancers, and similar rare migrants that found it in worldgen. Must be from Seth Cryied dwarf chocolate mod.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Netr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 02, 2014, 10:41:32 am »

I think the plaguebearer is not a normal disease, but a SECRET or CURSE from worldgen. Like the Geomancers, and similar rare migrants that found it in worldgen. Must be from Seth Cryied dwarf chocolate mod.

Ah k, I do have fear the night on. And that states some curses were added. Makes sense thanks.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 02, 2014, 03:32:10 pm »

I embarked on a cave with 3 mason's guilders and a jeweler's guilder, with a peat layer, a sand layer, a single aquifer low enough that I could plug it fairly easily and no freezing, it sounded like the makings of my 6th "successful" fort ever. It was going even better than I expected, as the first cut gem sale netted me enough leather bins to really get started on armoring the militia, but then mummies showed up and ripped everyone's heads off.  :-\

Don't make the same mistakes I did, bring twice as many picks for your miners or they'll throw their best weapons away and try to wrestle when you draft them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:37:26 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

ToastStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 02, 2014, 06:56:03 pm »

Decided to make in insect mad fort for some reason, had a meeting area swarming with dewbeetles, a food stockpile of mainly meat and dewbeetle eggs, drinks of dewbeetle mead, a military who only wore rigid chitinplate and used bane spider poisoned copper knuckle dusters (worked surprisingly well got a bunch of elite wreslers now), plenty of hives outside (first game in a while I've straight up not farmed anything). And a great rock layer of obsidian and titanite next to a waterfall.

Held off plenty of invasions, had to tech up to make some new welded mithril armed troops (still got the 'beetle warriors'), to keep away the growing threat (and eventual 2 invasions) of automatons. Soon after the impressive obsidian architecture and 'doe beetle egg pizza' offerings, got the monarchy interested to make it a mountainhome.
Soon after frost giants decided to send in masses of thieves and eventually the FPS started to take quite a hit (why do I love waterfalls/valleys so much?!?), and as it ground to a halt I saved this grand fort and moved on...

On thing of particular note for this fort though, was as well as not farming, I didn't cut down any trees or forage for any plants, I used coal and bought wood off of traders, and I got the strangest message that I have never seen before. It still eludes me if this is something unique to masterwork or what. But an elven caravan arrived and gave me a message along these lines (not the exact wording) 'Ahh not a single tree here cries out in pain, maybe now you have truly turned over a new leaf and we can plant the seeds of a grand new friendship'. Everything seemed to carry on normally after that, but it did just make me sit there for a while trying to figure out what had actually happened, did some research, couldn't find anything, so assumed it was a masterwork thing, anyone else had something similar ever? or actually know if it causes anything to happen?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #936 on: June 02, 2014, 07:08:49 pm »

Its a vanilla thing, but its broken in vanilla. Masterwork (by using dfhack) fixes the elven diplomat, and they impose tree cutting quotas and comment on how well you treat nature.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Netr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 02, 2014, 07:11:43 pm »

Sounds like a grand fort! I like to set limits and challenges to myself to make it more interesting. Embarking with nothing isn't that fun anymore, and above ground only gets boring.

Got a question on beetles. Do they only reproduce if left underground? And if left underground do you need to feed them?

ToastStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 02, 2014, 07:17:54 pm »

Sounds like a grand fort! I like to set limits and challenges to myself to make it more interesting. Embarking with nothing isn't that fun anymore, and above ground only gets boring.

Got a question on beetles. Do they only reproduce if left underground? And if left underground do you need to feed them?

I can't honestly say I've tried placing nest boxes above ground before, but I'd assume it works, and dew beetles don't need to graze or be fed so they are a brilliant mobile source of booze :P

ToastStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 02, 2014, 07:23:48 pm »

Its a vanilla thing, but its broken in vanilla. Masterwork (by using dfhack) fixes the elven diplomat, and they impose tree cutting quotas and comment on how well you treat nature.

Well thats interesting to know, I am a little curious how exactly that works, would it count underground trees and would the elves still be ecstatic if you embarked somewhere that never even had any trees?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #940 on: June 02, 2014, 07:25:21 pm »

Good question. I dont know. They certainly count the cut down trees, and the diplomat threatens you with war if you cut too many, and if you do it again the next year, its WAR.

Netr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 02, 2014, 08:54:01 pm »

Good question. I dont know. They certainly count the cut down trees, and the diplomat threatens you with war if you cut too many, and if you do it again the next year, its WAR.

Elven war is my favorite type of war. Had one embark where I started at war with them. By the 2nd year they would attack in 5-6 ambushes. Then a year later 8 ambushes at a time. Then close to 15. It was crazy since each was mounted on war bears or flying faerie mounts. Great fort. Too bad that was the same fort where I found a lot of adamante underground and thought WOW I AM LUCKY. Nope, Chuck Testa got me.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 03, 2014, 03:41:15 am »

Iirc, the quotas work on the number of tree-felling jobs you create, so I imagine cavern trees are counted as much as surface ones.  They certainly don't seem to notice if you use the "extirpate" command to get rid of a single aesthetically unpleasing tree, having embarked without axes or woodcutters.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 03, 2014, 09:35:24 am »

I embarked on the shore of a lake, only to find that it's frozen, and my dwarves have parked the caravan in the middle of it.  This is going to have to be the quickest unpacking of a caravan ever...
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #944 on: June 03, 2014, 09:44:35 am »

Dig down into the frozen lake, collapse the wagon and all items into the hole, build a floor-ceiling. Wait for lake to unfreeze. Perfectly safe fortress under a lake.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 113