Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192277 times)

Dorenabel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #840 on: April 03, 2014, 07:18:33 pm »

My previous (and first) orc fort met it's end under water. Nothing unusual, all orc forts built in scorching sands of untamed wilds without river meet their end under water. Probably something related to "oops, wrong lever" syndrome. Due to early unplanned flood i haven't chance to see orcish royalty before, so here is my first experience with them.
 Orcs don't have kings, instead of kings they have Lords. Up to 12 of them at once it seems. (never ever build paved roads in your dining hall to check if orcs love roads as much as dwarfs, roads your last frontier between you and Lords, who decided to make your fort new Mountainhome, and of course it's necessary to spawn on terrifying side of surface instead of joyful wilds side, to gather some afflictions on not so long way into fort.) Unlike kings, Lords don't need any rooms, chests etc, but they are nobles and want to order their favourite dices, animal traps and other crap, which you aren't necessary able to produce at all. And it's mandatory for them to order this right when next ambushers/siege spawned and you can easily miss demands. On unrelated note - it's more simple to create one slab rather than waste resources on crap and read how some useful legendary fort member was beat to death because demands wasn't fulfilled.
 1 Lord was Uruk in age below 30, he joined to fresh military squad instead of another Uruk, who had bodysize slightly below useful and wasted half of year before i understood why whole squad aren't training. (bodysize 74470, one orc manual state they need bodysize 80000 to use big weapons with shield, another 75000, therapist weapons tab show he can use mauls with shield, but tooltip in same tab states 77500 minimum required.. he carried both - shield and maul without issues, but avoided any combat and raised wrestler only skill when i forced him to fight finally)
 2 Lords was dreamwalkers - rare breed, good creativity guaranteed, so they joined to bifrost generator team.
 8 Lords was completely useless. They joined some 2-man early squad, got uniform "no gear" and personal orders to station in recruit adaptation area (room with prisoners caged above to drop them on rookies).
 Last Lord was some very old Snaga, she haven't arms or something like this, and could die from old age in any moment. Probably that's why she issued 3 demands before finally arrived to her lovely burrow (I had only 2 burrows, 1-st "Safe zone" and 2nd is "Execution area" located under "drawbridge of justice") Up until this moment "Execution area" was unused, unlike pasture in same area for unwanted pets.
 So.. 8 useless lords with hands got whole room (11x11) filled with prisoners (invaders, grimelings, beak dogs, all kind of giant ants, beetles, horses and whatever else terrifying biome and invaders could offer) dumped on them at once. It was massacre.. All lords survived and became elite wrestlers ._. Took few seasons after to gather them in burrow under "bridge of justice". Reaction to burrow assignment in 5x5 area with 200+ fort members and 300+ animals sooooo slooow.
 2 Lords Dreamwalkers became legendary armor smiths before lost their sanity. They didn't had proper personality for this kind of job  ::) 15 wasted prisoners because one of them went mad with recently acquired "doesn't care anymore" tag. He isn't met death under bridge, because he still wear masterful bifrost gear set. Also i am not sure how to move him there anyway, other guy simply moved to assigned burrow despite of madness.
 Last Lord Uruk still alive and got custom profession "Highlander". But he doesn't really care about it anymore. He didn't had single mandate or demand from start, so i still have no idea what he likes ._.
 tldr: Meet orc royalty with drawbridges. Magma. Flood chambers. Whatever you wish, just don't waste prisoners on them.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 05, 2014, 04:06:10 pm »

Last Lord Uruk still alive and got custom profession "Highlander". But he doesn't really care about it anymore. He didn't had single mandate or demand from start, so i still have no idea what he likes ._.

Why don't you just look at his recent thoughts and preferences?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Hotawotwot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 06, 2014, 01:58:22 am »

A ghoul tried to hunt a rattlesnake with some burning arrows our archeologist dug up , good thing it started raining soon afterward.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 06, 2014, 04:18:07 am »

I embarked on a pair of rivers, (Was hoping for a waterfall.) this is what I got.

All of my orcs were on one side of the water, while the wagon and all of my supplies were on another.  >:(

How does that even happen? I had to survive by having everyone gather plants until migrants arrived on the right side, and that took a year.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:24:54 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 06, 2014, 05:17:54 am »

By sheer dumb luck obviously.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 06, 2014, 11:28:01 am »

I embarked on a pair of rivers, (Was hoping for a waterfall.) this is what I got.

All of my orcs were on one side of the water, while the wagon and all of my supplies were on another.  >:(

How does that even happen? I had to survive by having everyone gather plants until migrants arrived on the right side, and that took a year.

LOL. I once had my men embark on a frozen river that defrosted within a week of embark.

Embarked on a volcano. The magma level is actually far below the actual "mouth" of the volcano, so I'm building an upside down tower into it, with a nice little "hollow column" for siphoning up the magma to the surface for my... nefarious purposes.

Can't continue building until I finish modding, though :<

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 06, 2014, 07:12:54 pm »

The final days of a warlock tower.

After summoning over 10k blocks from the void to build a proper warlocks tower, a mistress was appointed to oversee the dungeon. Unfortunatly what the overseer did not realize was that the mistress enforces justice, surly not an issue you say; except for the following minor points

a) The mistress has been consuming souls and has 5000 strength & agility
b) 2 pain in the arse mandates were not fufilled
c) there was a prision for captured prisioners, but not loyal citizens/undead minions.

The result of this was despite 32 undead and 4 warlock the mistress picked the overlord warlock and another warlock to punish. A couple of punches to the head later, despite mithril armor, they were well dead. Not an issue you say, lets grab a few souls and use the remain warlock to res them. Oh dear, Mr 'Incompetent' McWarlock is unset his friends are dead and decides to start a beserk tantrum, however the mistress appears to really like 'justice' and order and dispise tantrums, after breaking most limbs a punch to the head and that warlock is down.

There is still hope, after all the mistress is a witch an can do the ressing..... If of course she did'nt sudden realize she had killed everyone almost doomed the tower, become Melancholy, and thus dooming the tower

Now all that remained are 32 skelltons, muttering amongst themselves that they though they were mean to be the brainless ones while waiting for the warlock spells that control them to wear off so they can get make to killing all living beings

Fade to black.
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 06, 2014, 09:36:16 pm »

Human Hammer dwarf has become a god level badass from endless combat with a grimeling.

Dwarven trader suffered a cerebral infarction and collapsed shortly after arriving.

There's something very satisfying about returning to DF.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 06, 2014, 10:30:26 pm »

Meningitis outbreak, 10 have progressed to pulmonary necrosis, mass producing medicine to try and shut pandoras box.

Going to have to kill a few infected babies.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:35:25 pm by Broseph Stalin »

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 06, 2014, 10:41:54 pm »

Set out with a plan to build an under water castle off the coast. First expedition wiped out by a bunch of drakes. Drakes and Gargoyles are my least favorite thing to encounter on a 'normal' embark.

The second lot had most of their embark points in military skills and equipment. I thought this was going to be a quiet set up, I'm on an island with a lot of amphibious raptormen but that's it. I got attacked by a dragon (first time I've seen a dragon in any version of the game!) and it burnt down half of my surface fort and setting back my steeloak farms by about a year. Another drake killed my legendary axemen by getting them to jump into the sea and drown. The game's just not letting me mega project in peace!

A magmaling would be nice right about now but I don't want to strip mine the whole map just to find one so I'm building a pump stack and a magma canon made out of glass. I'm going to make everything out of glass and gems thanks to the glass forge and gemcutters (actually the glass forge isn't that needed since the gemcutter can use cut raw glass but that is an extra step). I have the peons digging up peat, burning it, and then crushing it into diamonds. In a slightly more exploity way, I'm also cutting fire clay into gems and using them at the gemforge. They're really low value though so I don't feel so bad about not using expensive diamonds for it instead.

Balistic604

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 07, 2014, 12:21:35 am »

Came up with a new design for a fortress. I decided to go create an underground city for my fort. Most of my previous fortress's are medium sized areas over multiple z-levels with many stairs for quick movement. I came up with a plan to create a city with roads, districts, suburbs, factories, warehouses and many other sections. My dwarves have spent the past two years digging out the first main z-level of the city.

It's going to be designed around three primary z-levels. One near the surface for farms and pastures that has yet to be fully designed. The largest is the main level. It has eight districts arranged in a wheel-like design inside of a wheel. It has a living area in one of the larger districts, with room for over 100 dwarves. As well, it has a very large dining hall. The inner parts of the city have the administration offices, barracks and armory, temple, library, hospital, inn, merchants, vault and a central staircase leading to the other two z-levels. The other main district has specialty workshops, a mage's guild and altars, rune armory, rune weaponry, and a greatforge. The bottom outer districts are workshop and factory districts. Each has two warehouses, one factory room and one smaller specialty factory. The final z-level has its roads designated but not dug out yet. I am not completely sure of what to design in the final level as of right now.
Dwarf Fortress: The only place you'll find complaints about NOT dying.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 07, 2014, 05:07:20 am »

Stick the Dwarven Treasure Horde on the third level. A stockpile accepting everything (except maybe corpses/refuse) that only takes from links, and where you pile all the extra stuff you produce or procure that you don't want to sell. (Ideally it should be quality metal items or gem crafts but in reality it'll probably be extra food/plants from your farm, or miscellaneous crafts, or other not-quite-dwarven stuff.) When a given stockpile is looking full, set the horde to take from it until space has been freed up.

For added illusion, make it multiple z-levels in size and add random ramps attached to constructed floors of various shapes to simulate the "pile" growing so large you can climb or walk on it (though this would make managing it a bit more of a hassle since the stockpiles would be separated).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:13:41 am by Niveras »

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 07, 2014, 09:04:07 am »

Came up with a new design for a fortress. I decided to go create an underground city for my fort. Most of my previous fortress's are medium sized areas over multiple z-levels with many stairs for quick movement. I came up with a plan to create a city with roads, districts, suburbs, factories, warehouses and many other sections. My dwarves have spent the past two years digging out the first main z-level of the city.

It's going to be designed around three primary z-levels. One near the surface for farms and pastures that has yet to be fully designed. The largest is the main level. It has eight districts arranged in a wheel-like design inside of a wheel. It has a living area in one of the larger districts, with room for over 100 dwarves. As well, it has a very large dining hall. The inner parts of the city have the administration offices, barracks and armory, temple, library, hospital, inn, merchants, vault and a central staircase leading to the other two z-levels. The other main district has specialty workshops, a mage's guild and altars, rune armory, rune weaponry, and a greatforge. The bottom outer districts are workshop and factory districts. Each has two warehouses, one factory room and one smaller specialty factory. The final z-level has its roads designated but not dug out yet. I am not completely sure of what to design in the final level as of right now.
Pic please, I'm looking for cool whole-floor-used-up fort designs to employ in my future fort :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #853 on: April 07, 2014, 10:02:18 am »

Just sold a large stack of meat and got some measly coppers in return.

Yes, that's a single stack.

At least you got that much money. I remember accidentally wasting a 500+ meat stack on making bloodwine. I got ten units of bloodwine from it. Ten units. How much does that coin pile WEIGH?
maybe i should add a does-not-determine-product-amount somewhere. 1,3million is a lot of coins... ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 07, 2014, 11:37:36 am »

maybe i should add a does-not-determine-product-amount somewhere. 1,3million is a lot of coins... ^^
Isn't it realistic though? If you sell a gillionty tons of meat you should make a crapload of money
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 113