Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192052 times)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #675 on: January 21, 2014, 02:20:31 pm »

I've seen drow with bloodsteel weapons cut an arm off through adamantine armor.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #676 on: January 21, 2014, 02:23:53 pm »

I've seen drow with bloodsteel weapons cut an arm off through adamantine armor.
Bloodsteel is identical to steel. Any human with steel weapons could have done that.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 21, 2014, 02:35:55 pm »

Isn't adamantine only really good against blunt attacks?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #678 on: January 21, 2014, 06:00:42 pm »

No ? Its excellent against everything.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 21, 2014, 09:05:22 pm »

I've just downloaded Masterwork and am giving it a test run to feel out the differences from vanilla.  In Autumn of my first year, one of my starting 7 got a cold, got irritated, and picked a fight with one of the tuskoxen.  It didnt end well.  Oh, and one of the first migrants has bubonic plague apparently, so my fortress is covered in vomit and everyone is going to die.

I hope to Armok this isnt normal...

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 21, 2014, 10:20:36 pm »

Aren't longswords way too large for kobolds, even 2handed?

I don't know, but it seemed to work. All the bolds equipped them and the one time one of them got in a shot, it cut through bloodsteel like butter.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 21, 2014, 10:54:15 pm »

Just got not one, but two guardians of armok from a relic. Haven't even passed a year yet. Guess I should be fine on military/megabeasts/invaders for the time being, as long as I keep dwarves behind them.

Though they'll probably get dead from the first goblin bow ambush.

How do you use them?  They can't be assigned like animals, and don't even show up in the list.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 21, 2014, 11:02:21 pm »

Just got not one, but two guardians of armok from a relic. Haven't even passed a year yet. Guess I should be fine on military/megabeasts/invaders for the time being, as long as I keep dwarves behind them.

How do you use them?  They can't be assigned like animals, and don't even show up in the list.

The last time I played normal dwarf mode masterwork, the first major thing I did was build all the temples and summon a guardian of armok. I had no problems pasturing them near my entrance and letting them murder with impunity. If they don't show up on the list, I think designation a meeting zone where you want them to go would work for positioning them. Also, they're made of iron. Bronze collossi are pretty hard to kill. An Iron one would be almost indestructible. I don't think bow-goblins will be a problem.
Spooky Signature

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 21, 2014, 11:11:58 pm »

The last time I played normal dwarf mode masterwork, the first major thing I did was build all the temples and summon a guardian of armok. I had no problems pasturing them near my entrance and letting them murder with impunity. If they don't show up on the list, I think designation a meeting zone where you want them to go would work for positioning them. Also, they're made of iron. Bronze collossi are pretty hard to kill. An Iron one would be almost indestructible. I don't think bow-goblins will be a problem.

Yeah, I got one from a relic and it's just chilling at my entrance.  It doesn't do a good job of chasing though.

That said, I summoned a Mithril Colossus the other day and it went down pretty easily.  Got a 180k dwarfbux skull out of it

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 22, 2014, 07:18:40 am »

Also, they're made of iron. Bronze collossi are pretty hard to kill. An Iron one would be almost indestructible.

The community fortress ☼Banners of Heart☼ had an Iron Colossus and it was (is, actually) bad-ass, no doubt.  As the years go by and invaders start coming with better weapons and better armor and animals with Names, a single colossus will no longer be a match for a siege.  No one ever answered my questions about how to heal/repair one of those.  Still, even busted up, he more than holds his own at the front gate: hopping on one leg, he once literally kicked the ass off an Orc.  Very Monty Python-esque.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #685 on: January 22, 2014, 09:22:51 am »

You cant heal/repair them.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 24, 2014, 01:05:39 am »

I've just downloaded Masterwork and am giving it a test run to feel out the differences from vanilla.  In Autumn of my first year, one of my starting 7 got a cold, got irritated, and picked a fight with one of the tuskoxen.  It didnt end well.  Oh, and one of the first migrants has bubonic plague apparently, so my fortress is covered in vomit and everyone is going to die.

I hope to Armok this isnt normal...

If this is your first try at Masterwork maybe try turning diseases off and generating a new world and a new game.  They are a fairly new feature and, while they have been balanced quite a bit, a lot of people still play with them off.  You'll have enough of a time dealing with the new workshops, job flows, enemies, magic, and secret fun without having to worry about diseases.  Frankly if you're dealing with a massive late game invasion of world enders and suddenly half your fort succumbs to a plague, it's going to turn you off of the mod really quick.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 24, 2014, 01:34:07 am »

You cant heal/repair them.

Well, that's not entirely true if one doesn't mind cheating and using DFusion to do it if only to keep them semi-mobile.

I personally reserve what ones I get for facing certain FBs (specifically any that spew dust in any form or have toxic blood,) and the original warlock civ since nothing they can do will hurt a guardian, though those staves have a tendency to dent and fracture limbs after a few beatings. It's also amusing to see a colossus steal shields and beat the owners with them. I like to imagine they're gently fanning the shield into the enemy and it's snapping limbs and sending them flying, much to the guardian's confusion.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 24, 2014, 11:44:02 am »

They appeared in a list of animals just fine for me. I stuck them in a pasture in my entrance (a simple elbow so ranged attackers have only a lead of only 5ish, max 10 tiles before the guardians are on top of them).

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 24, 2014, 07:25:43 pm »

Half-way finished constructing the best trap entrance I've ever done for kobolds. Tons of high-quality mithral and steel weapon traps in a narrow hallway. Also a cave-in trap connected to a pressure plate. And cage traps with trap spiders behind them. And another pressure plate connected to a cage with an ever-growing supply of war giant honey badgers. The best part? The entire rig is on a 1-tile wide bridge over a magma moat. I can even put bridges over the magma moat if I want to send my militia out for some safe fighting. So next time ninja drow come to play, it'll be something like this:
Drow Ninja: Another petty kobold fort with its pathetic little traps.
Drow Ninja: I'll just waltz right through like last time.
The Drow Ninja skips out of the way of the *Large Serrated Mithral Sawblade*.
The Drow Ninja has melted.
Spooky Signature
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 113