Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192035 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #645 on: January 10, 2014, 02:03:28 pm »

Put the cages with the parents into a stockpile next to your catapults, use the siege-engine plugin to load them as ammo, and throw the elephants at the next invader. Thats what I would do. Set them on fire/turn them crazed/undead first for bonus points.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 10, 2014, 02:19:31 pm »

OK, I'll bite -- what's the best way to set a wild elephant on fire before flinging him?  Pitch and a brazier?
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #647 on: January 10, 2014, 02:57:33 pm »

Magma. Solution to everything. (actually not possible, because they cant be affected in their cages)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rimbinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 10, 2014, 11:17:30 pm »

One of the dworfs got fey mood and produced quite funny amulet:
It pictures an cringing ork and laughing centaur, and relates to the smashing of the ork's left buttock
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He got his ass smashed big time, so big somebody made an artifact to remember it. Funny thing to put on the amulet I guess...

On the later years upset dwarf with mood made an amulet out of Dwarf bone ! He just took dead companion's corpse and made an artifact :O...
Is dwarven bones a thing in a game now ? I just like the idea of turning all dead dworfs to bone bolts and bring the revenge to their killers

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #649 on: January 10, 2014, 11:19:37 pm »

OK, I'll bite -- what's the best way to set a wild elephant on fire before flinging him?  Pitch and a brazier?
Okay. Have a magma safe mechanism and cage in a pit. Drop elephant into pit. Drop 1/7 of magma into pit. Close cage. Launch cage asap.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 10, 2014, 11:34:45 pm »

Okay. Have a magma safe mechanism and cage in a pit. Drop elephant into pit. Drop 1/7 of magma into pit. Close cage. Launch cage asap.

And?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 11, 2014, 06:59:54 am »

One of the dworfs got fey mood and produced quite funny amulet:
It pictures an cringing ork and laughing centaur, and relates to the smashing of the ork's left buttock
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He got his ass smashed big time, so big somebody made an artifact to remember it. Funny thing to put on the amulet I guess...

On the later years upset dwarf with mood made an amulet out of Dwarf bone ! He just took dead companion's corpse and made an artifact :O...
Is dwarven bones a thing in a game now ? I just like the idea of turning all dead dworfs to bone bolts and bring the revenge to their killers

Maybe it was a fell mood and he slew the Dwarf to use their bones. :P

Anyway, Chaos Dwarves (are they the same as the mighty D Legion?) and one of its Arcani keeps triggering ambushes by conjuring up blood and throwing it.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 11, 2014, 09:42:04 am »

My once proud fortress of 110 dwarves was recently brought low by a vicious disease ... rabies. Yep that's right. Started among my animals, and somehow spread. Within two months, half my dwarves had rabies and it quickly spread. I managed to save about 10 dwarves, including a Axelord, however when the Axelord someone came down with rabies, it was all over.

Wish there had been a way to try and save them. They go down in history.

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 11, 2014, 03:14:18 pm »

My orc fort refuses to die out, all our militia were killed in a year 1 dwarven siege, which was broken by the arrival of some orc traders.   Just after my orcs had contained their tantrums, two drowen ambushes showed up.  Somehow, my 11 orc survivors rallied behind my warchief, who was the only one with a weapon and armor, and drove the drow out.  The highlight of that was my master scribe whaling away at a drow's skull with a horned helmet he had picked up off another drow he murdered with his bare hands.
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 12, 2014, 06:04:42 am »

Been playing with my new orc fort with the rebalanced stuff, having fun so far. A metalsmith made an artifact bloodsteel wolf doll, which I put in a display stand. A random jeweler got in a fight with a dingo and he punched it in the head, not only killing it, but sending it flying a few tiles. After this hardcore display of badassery, I made him the warchief, gave him a superior quality bloodsteel toothed spear and some ironbone armor.

Later the drows ambushed us. I closed the drawbridge and used burrows to keep the citizens inside while the bolaorcs did their thing. They didn't deal any real damage, but some of the drows standing on the part of the mountain above the walls dodged, fell inside and were killed by the melee squad, the deep drows and the frost giants that were trading. Eventually they left, and I managed to get some bloodsteel stuff to melt down.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:00:48 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 12, 2014, 11:15:41 am »

My fortress seems to get like no threat at all. An earlier orc fortress on the same world got a Dwarf siege in its first year, but this new orc fortress is entirely dwarf-less. Jeeze, get me something to practice my mithril katana on, dammit. Or my artifact orichalcum bladed chains. Anyway, my master scribe just demanded, the little bitch, a meteoric armour stand. Sucker doesn't even need any armour and there is like no way I can get meteoric, what even IS meteorite?

And baby Hoshnzang has just been taken by a crude kobold. After getting stabbed in the hand. Only no 'kidnapper' message, and I can't look at the baby's thoughts anymore either. Riight.

Edit. Ah. Here comes the threat. Elven bladedancers with shields, krisses and jittes though wokopodoa sez jittes aren't really blades. Edit2; seems I overestimated them. Three of the sixteen escaped alive, total death due to the elves, about four war orcish dire wolves on the perimeters. And a slightly tortured aurochs bull.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:34:26 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 12, 2014, 01:23:32 pm »

... Anyway, my master scribe just demanded, the little bitch, a meteoric armour stand. Sucker doesn't even need any armour and there is like no way I can get meteoric, what even IS meteorite? ...

Meteorite is an ore that only spawns in single-tile "clusters" within soil layers. (I've found most of mine in clay layers.) It's technically a weapon-metal, but it's worse than iron and can't be processed so smelting it always builds up slag.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 12, 2014, 01:53:49 pm »

Which means I don't have it, so he can't have it. I tried giving him a freshly new artefact armor stand, no. More crying. Oh well. I just bought FIVE golems from the Goblins (!) for my masterful welded mithril daikatana. Haw. Jesus. And gave them like 58000 profit as well; roughly the value of three more golems. Bet they're pleased, but I can't read it off them at the mo.  Yep, Stosbus is ecstatic. Alatha of the ashlander elves is also ecstatic.

also, I can't for the life of me make (dreamwalk) codices, it seems. But I can make a \M/inotaur, which IS nice.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:33:37 pm by FrisianDude »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 12, 2014, 03:45:14 pm »

Things are really boring at my orc fort. I have more food than I know what to do with, more metal than I know what do do with, more orcs than I know what to do with, and my military hasn't really seen any real action except for that one drow ambush. So I decided to dig down into the caverns, hoping that an FB would come along every once in a while to keep me company. I sent my melee squad down to scout the area and I found a small ant-person tribe. They decided to attack my warchief, who is now a legendary spearorc armed with a bifrost spear and bloodsteel armor. One curbstomp battle later, all the antmen were dead. I am REALLY hoping for something interesting soon.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 13, 2014, 12:48:06 pm »

Know that feeling, and for a moment I thought the Dwarfs would relieve me of monotony. A siege. They just sat around a campfire, I had twenty Orcs shoot at them, and most ran away. Only one of them died; only three of them were even near the campfire when my melee-group arrived on it.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 113