Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192024 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #615 on: January 04, 2014, 07:59:59 am »

It's not -that- precious though. Just smelt another 100 copper ores. I always end up with 10 to 20 orichalcum whenever I stop counting and do massive smelting operations. Besides, that means super expensive artifact, right? On top of that, legendary metal crafters are surprisingly important. One ruby encrusted masterfully crafted gold amulet can buy many, many things.

It wasn't a fey/secretive mood, and I haven't been running any massive smelting operations because of the poor abundance of minerals suitable for trade. I've currently got a grand total of maybe six bars that I intend to use to start a wizard army with, and my current military is too feeble for me to break into the caverns for more ore. So that means a wasted bar of orichalcum for a stupid trinket that I only got because I didn't feel like building a tomb.

Frankly I'm still juggling with wether or not I want to execute the bastard via dehydration for wasting military-critical resources like that.

And now the undead have come. I really hope it's a directionless horde, because this fight will be impossible to win if there's any supporting necromancers. On the upside, instead of my usual force of sword and axedwarves I've got armored mace and hammerdwarves backed up by animate hammers, so maybe we'll win.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 04, 2014, 08:01:02 am »

I had a metalcrafter make an artifact orichalcum flask once.
ONCE. My axedwarf likes his bloody axe of armok.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:02:47 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 04, 2014, 08:04:23 am »

I had a metalcrafter make an artifact orichalcum flask once.
ONCE. My axedwarf likes his bloody axe of armok.

see, a flask is at least kinda useful. I got an amulet and din't even get a legendary metalcrafter out of it. If the maker would equip it then that'd be fine, but instead he left it in the forge so I stuffed it in a display case to make sure a kobold didn't slip in and swipe the damn thing.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 04, 2014, 08:07:38 am »

see, a flask is at least kinda useful.
Doesn't matter much when you're practically drowning in leather that you can make waterskins with.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 04, 2014, 08:12:14 am »

see, a flask is at least kinda useful.
Doesn't matter much when you're practically drowning in leather that you can make waterskins with.

True, I'll give you that, but it's still more useful than an amulet that would have been better spent making an arcane dwarf or a champion's helmet.

Due to my intense fear of necromancers, I have resolved to use divine intervention to quell the horde and save the elves. Each time a corpse is silenced, it will be autodumped inside fortress walls where the tuskoxen will keep necromancers at bay. May be cheaty, but Spearbreakers instilled too great a fear of necromancers in me. So far three ferric elf zombies have been returned to the void. I sincerely hope my dwarves can put down the other 83.

EDIT: Well that's unnerving. The human zombies are shouting at my soldiers about blowing off limbs with cannon balls and such. I frogt zeds could still do interactions and that just made these zombies a whole lot scarier from the dorf point of view.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 04, 2014, 12:36:52 pm »

Tried a Kobold fort, embarked on a cave with the "brave bold" profile.
Sent the brave bold, armed with the machete of course, to kill a troglodyte. Within 2 minutes of embarking, the brave bold was dead. Then the troglodyte killed 2 shalswars and another kobold. Eventually, it was killed. Then, to help me out with my great start, a fucking NITH kills another kobold. When it comes to playing kobolds, I am the absolute worst.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #621 on: January 04, 2014, 09:34:04 pm »

Kobolds weight 15kg on average, how should they fight a 80kg trog? ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 04, 2014, 09:38:43 pm »

The same way that kea flew off with my f-ing minecart. :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 05, 2014, 02:17:06 am »

The same way that kea flew off with my f-ing minecart. :)

Kobolds also have speed. Arm a couple 'bolds with spears/pointy sticks, suit them up with some good leather, and the fastest ones can down just about anything if they can take out the legs. Had one camp that made it's living killing giant ostriches and hamsters using speedy spearbolds.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 05, 2014, 02:26:51 am »

By dodging and stabbing them.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 05, 2014, 07:03:09 am »

Sent the brave bold, armed with the machete of course, to kill a troglodyte. Within 2 minutes of embarking, the brave bold was dead. Then the troglodyte killed 2 shalswars and another kobold. Eventually, it was killed. Then, to help me out with my great start, a fucking NITH kills another kobold. When it comes to playing kobolds, I am the absolute worst.
  What is honestly the difference between a nith and a kobold, except for their habitat.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 05, 2014, 07:11:28 am »

What is honestly the difference between a nith and a kobold, except for their habitat.

Nith are even smaller than kobolds.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #627 on: January 05, 2014, 07:16:29 am »

Nith are either vanilla a old genesis, I dont even know anymore. ^^ I did not write them, thats all I know. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 05, 2014, 07:18:49 am »

Nith are even smaller than kobolds.
And yet their teeth are sharp enough to kill a kobold.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 05, 2014, 06:02:58 pm »

So I apparently have a Gunsmithing Savant now, how good is this thing anyway?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 113