Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191975 times)

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #600 on: January 03, 2014, 05:22:18 am »

Ok, lets carve some nice pestilence holes and play the waiting game...

... and if nothing helps, i would rather throw everyone in the spikepits than just abandon.  >:(

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 03, 2014, 05:23:39 am »

Edit: Everybody? Pah, it has only a 10% deathrate per infection.
I take it that's not counting the people killed by tantrumers and the ones that go insane?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 03, 2014, 06:17:11 am »

In my latest fort, I got an Earthkin immigrant, then a Vampire mage, then an airkin, all in one immigrant wave.  I was pretty excited by this, a chance to try the magic stuff (which I haven't seen much of yet!)

However.. well, something seems wrong with them.  For one thing, the Earthkin and vampmage both move EXTREMELY slowly, as if they are always carrying a rock.  No idea why, they don't show any wounds or scars.. but it's impossible to get them into action in any useful time.  Not only that, but I sent them to kill a little troglodyte camp sitting in my cavern - just 3 poorly armed trogs.  Much to my surprise, the trogs won handily, despite their garbage equipment - the Earthkin's stoneskin didn't seem to help much, and while the description of the Vamp mage says he can instakill an enemy to satiate his thirst, he seemed to only want to "sap the strength" of the trogs.   You would think that rock skin + sapped strength would be a power-combo, but it seems not;  neither one lasted more than 10 seconds.

After that, I decided to savescum a bit to test, sending them on random suicide missions (plenty of those on this map.)   I've sure never seen the vamp do any insta-kill thing.  He did turn a changeling breeder into a gargoyle once, though.. that promptly got destroyed by a Dark Strangler wrestler >.>  This came up in-game us "changling breeder turns to Nothing", and it was referred to in the logs as Nothing, didn't show up in the animal list, and couldn't be assigned.  Also to note, neither the vamp or the earthkin could even take a Strangler.  Sadface, but the slow-moving thing  makes them pretty useless anyways, I guess.

Not very impressed with magic so far, to say the least.  At least the Airkin does ok.  Pretty funny watching him wrestle things to death after webbing them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:19:06 am by nukularpower »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 03, 2014, 06:25:33 am »

I've had good luck with fire and air mages, especially when used together very carefully since both will attack with their offensive spells first if armed for melee; haven't had a chance to use earth mages or white/black mages (and frankly don't wanna use the latter because they'll probably eat my soldiers in thyier sleep or something,) and water ones seemed a bit... Will, hit or miss. on one hand they ice spiked the shit out of things (or whatever their longer range offensive spell is,) on their other their other abilities seemed a little... Well, crappy honestly. But then I haven't been able to call on more than a handful of migrant ones of any.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 03, 2014, 11:28:38 am »

A werewolf attacked my fort and killed some elven merchants that were leaving. He then proceeded to kill a few dwarves, including the sergeant of my marksdwarf squad (Dude was a witch hunter, too.) Eventually, he attacked a bowyer and turned him into a werewolf too, and was then killed by said bowyer. Then the bowyer-werewolf started attacking a pekyt and turned back to normal. One of my swordsdwarves killed the bowyer, before being decapitated by the military commander. Thankfully, this did not start a loyalty cascade.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 03, 2014, 12:22:14 pm »

Created a musket/flintlock squad equipped with flintlocks, bayoneted flintlocks, muskets, and bayoneted muskets. Squad sergeant takes two muskets and a flintlock. Both muskets in right hand. Flintlock in left.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:38:10 pm by There Is No Vic »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 03, 2014, 01:56:18 pm »

One of the newly drafted marksdwarves was a werewolf. He turned another marksdwarf and a speardwarf's baby into werewolves, too. The RNG seems to love trying to fuck me over every chance it gets, doesn't it?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 03, 2014, 03:28:29 pm »

Reminda me of when a werewolf attacked great Gunduduruk (still a badass autogen name for Orcs). I thought I was boned but sent my warriors anyway. They couldn't inflict more than bruises but the beastie got overexterted and turned... into a gnome. One stab later and we had a discombobulated and decapitated gnome corpse.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Bonesinger

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 03, 2014, 03:51:53 pm »

After losing every damn fortress to some sort of plague, right after my fortress got around with magma in the upper levels, I've went ahead and disabled that part of the mod.
Among things I've lost, some massive amounts of adamantine bars, a goddamned artifact Orichalcum Warhammer (http://anonmgur.com/up/1a5b46faf093fb07d82e50884e4f4fb6.png) and a less awesome Orichalcum Longsword.
On the plus side, the best thing one can do is buy some spiders off the elves, mount a hall full of cage traps as an entrance to the fortress and wait for a forgotten beast to be webbed. !!SCIENCE!!

My current fortress is under siege by humans. Who woulda've thunk they didn't like getting their caravans attacked by goblins and warlocks in my territory? Funny thing is that one of their caravans came and went 2 seasons ago without a problem. The FPS is already really crappy, the fort is nearly 10 years old now. I'm almost autodumping every item in a single point to fix that.

EDIT: There was also a funny megabeast that i should've screenshot. It was a humanoid made of Light. As soon as it appeared, i've checked its status and it was already hurt. A few seconds later, it dies by itself. All it left was a hand that fell, not even the corpse was there.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:31:33 pm by Bonesinger »

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 03, 2014, 10:10:53 pm »

water ones seemed a bit... Will, hit or miss. on one hand they ice spiked the shit out of things (or whatever their longer range offensive spell is,) on their other their other abilities seemed a little... Well, crappy honestly. But then I haven't been able to call on more than a handful of migrant ones of any.

I had the same impression with the water one.  Seems like their spoils boil down to a free bruised muscle on the enemy.  Too bad there aren't any freezing effects in the game.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 03, 2014, 10:57:55 pm »

water ones seemed a bit... Will, hit or miss. on one hand they ice spiked the shit out of things (or whatever their longer range offensive spell is,) on their other their other abilities seemed a little... Well, crappy honestly. But then I haven't been able to call on more than a handful of migrant ones of any.

I had the same impression with the water one.  Seems like their spoils boil down to a free bruised muscle on the enemy.  Too bad there aren't any freezing effects in the game.

Sometimes bruised muscles with their solid attack, other times they'll outright shatter bones; probably a matter of how sturdy the target is and how well armored they are. And I believe that they're supposed to have a freezing spell of some kind at higher levels but I've only ever had the wave hiding thing and the ice spikes/hail, and the freeze thing if they have it doesn't seem to really work outside sufficiently cold biomes.

-

Dwarves are working hard emptying out the embark wagon's massive pile of coal ( I always bring tons as a precaution since magma is often too far down for early access to be practical for me,) and I have found rubble needs to be classed as a stockpilable stone, because my idiot dorfs keep complaining about a hauling task being incompletable due to the boulders boiling away.

They're also complaining about a lack of tables due to the fact that despite there's usually only one or two dwarves eating at any one time right now and there's two tables to sit at, they insist upon eating at the chairs that don't have tables when the others were already empty.

Got a macedwarf migrant, so I've decided that I'll set up some mace squads as well for fun (maces don't get enough love,) and variety. Might as well anyway, since with a tower nearby blunts are pretty much my only option.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 04, 2014, 03:48:02 am »

My first siege arrived in year 3.  Yes those undead stretch around the entire edge of my 4x4 embark.  There are 186 corpses that have shown up.  I feel quite bad for the merchants when I let them go.  Also on another note you can see the entrance to the cave/den I embarked on here.  There were only gremlins in it but it leads to the caves.  Every time a diplomat leaves they have preferred to run down into that den to find a way off the map instead of going to the surface edge.  I don't have those caves revealed completely so I have no idea if they ever survive haha.

On a worse note the caravan I currently have is dwarven.  I've hit my pop cap and it's essential I get this diplomat out safely to stop another years worth of lag causing useless dwarves from showing up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 04, 2014, 06:17:04 am »

They're also complaining about a lack of tables due to the fact that despite there's usually only one or two dwarves eating at any one time right now and there's two tables to sit at, they insist upon eating at the chairs that don't have tables when the others were already empty.

Dwarves like one table per dwarf, independent of number of eaters at any given time. 30 dwarves means 30 tables.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 04, 2014, 06:38:03 am »

Dwarves like one table per dwarf, independent of number of eaters at any given time. 30 dwarves means 30 tables.

They complained about the lack of tables because they were idiots who decided that the table-less chair was a good place to eat instead of the unoccupied ones that had tables. Can't help but think they do it on purpose.

Just had a good laugh thanks to my militia. Dunno how they did it, but one guy managed to get his left gauntlet stolen by a leprechaun, two hammerdwarves are somehow managing to wear four metal boots each, and got infuriated by a possessed mood by a metalcrafter who just HAD to use orichalcum. If it weren't for the fact that I didn't want to build a catacomb so soon and needed to make an axethrower to appease my mayor-for-life I would have left the bastard to die for wasting such a precious resource.

Also found that I can't make wolfram bars, despite having two lumps of wolfram and a crucible to make it at. Shame, but I can make due with cobalt and bronze beating sticks.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 04, 2014, 07:46:23 am »

It's not -that- precious though. Just smelt another 100 copper ores. I always end up with 10 to 20 orichalcum whenever I stop counting and do massive smelting operations. Besides, that means super expensive artifact, right? On top of that, legendary metal crafters are surprisingly important. One ruby encrusted masterfully crafted gold amulet can buy many, many things.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 113