Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191993 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #585 on: January 02, 2014, 06:13:37 am »

Human caravan showed up first summer, before the first dwarf caravan. Weird.

Happens sometimes, but it's most common with modded races that have had their progress triggers set incorrectly (had trouble getting dwarves to arrive in my human settlements because they lack them.) Maybe a progress trigger got misplaced/changed by accident somewhere? Hell I've head megabeasts as early as mid summer of the first year, so it seems 1st spring is the only "visitor free" period of fort mode, modded or not.

Anyway, on topic I've decided to make a fort that wages gem warfare: All weapons not getting jammed in traps are going to be composed of gems either until production of better materials is underway or if there's no iron ore on the map (I really really hate "you have struck malachite!" messages now thanks to this otherwise amazing mod. That means gem swords for all!

But chances are I'll forget like the derp I am and end up using whatever's available like I always do. Let a new chapter in my nation's history begin here at this place,  Gemcolumn, founded the The Shimmery Blade-gem. Strike the Earth!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 02, 2014, 04:42:26 pm »

^reminds me, my Orc fortress sees MASSIvE amounts of caravans. Often 4 each season except winter. Though last winter a Frost giant (!) caravan did appear, and promptly skedaddle because of a horde of mounted Drow.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 02, 2014, 05:50:52 pm »

^reminds me, my Orc fortress sees MASSIvE amounts of caravans. Often 4 each season except winter. Though last winter a Frost giant (!) caravan did appear, and promptly skedaddle because of a horde of mounted Drow.

Babysnatchers flock together to fight nonbabysnatchers. Honestly I'm amazed that at least Frost Giants aren't autohostile to everyone.

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 02, 2014, 05:50:58 pm »

60 dwarves besieged my orc fortress.
I called everyone in... well one of my swordorcs (accomplished) was still outside when the bridges closed.

Well what should possibly happen?

He didn't fought them, no he hunted them down mercilessly (it seemed they were running away like civilians) and killed about 25 of them...

"Ha, nice one!" i thought... then i recognised that there must have been a smallpox plaguebearer among the dwarves and now every orc is infected --

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 02, 2014, 05:53:47 pm »

I called everyone in... well one of my swordorcs (accomplished) was still outside when the bridges closed.

He didn't fought them, no he hunted them down mercilessly (it seemed they were running away like civilians) and killed about 25 of them...

"Ha, nice one!" i thought... then i recognised that there must have been a smallpox plaguebearer among the dwarves and now every orc is infected --

The Free Peoples' ban on biological warfare doesn't extend to greenskins and thier allies.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 02, 2014, 08:32:46 pm »

The Stray Mountain Tuskox charges at The Goblin Thief!

The Stray Mountain Tuskox slams The Goblin Thief in the head with her left horn, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the outer brain, tearing apart the outer brain and bruising the brain.

The Goblin Thief looks sick!

The Stray Mountain Tuskox collides with the Goblin Thief!

The Goblin Thief is knocked over and tumbles backward!

This happened when a goblin thief decided to pay a visit to my fort, then subsequently got discovered by, and ran over by a stempede.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 03, 2014, 12:21:21 am »

A new artifact!

Gomomsanad, "Dournessmornings", a slag doomknight armor:  This is a slag doomknight armor.  All craftsmanship is of the highest quality.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of wood and menaces with spikes of silk.  On the item is an image of bloomberry juice in slag.  Worth 3610

Watch out for the spikes of silk when fighting

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 03, 2014, 12:24:19 am »

The Stray Mountain Tuskox charges at The Goblin Thief!

The Stray Mountain Tuskox slams The Goblin Thief in the head with her left horn, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the outer brain, tearing apart the outer brain and bruising the brain.

The Goblin Thief looks sick!

The Stray Mountain Tuskox collides with the Goblin Thief!

The Goblin Thief is knocked over and tumbles backward!

This happened when a goblin thief decided to pay a visit to my fort, then subsequently got discovered by, and ran over by a stempede.
Mountain Tuskoxes are fucking awesome. I always bring some with me for defence.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 03, 2014, 12:32:03 am »

Mountain Tuskoxes are fucking awesome. I always bring some with me for defence.

As foul tempered as dwarvenly possible, and we all love them that way.
-
Gemcolumn won't be happening, as it turns out some dispute led to a war of attrition between the sole dwarf civ and the gnomes of my first 4g world. Yes, gnomes. Granted the warwolves, ferric elves, and amorreems (a randomly genned civ made of some kind of muck people,) had a hand in it but still. They were ultimately wiped out by fucking gnomes and their demented firearms and steam-power armor. Guess someone encroached on someone's mountaintops.

Time for a new fort in a new world, this one being the first time I'll be relying on hammerdwarves for defense due to being near a tower. And animated hammers. And I sincerely hope someone has access to featherwood so I can train some support mages to fend off the undead.

I'm sure this will be an incredibly messy fort (for my side for once.)

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:02 am »

The Free Peoples' ban on biological warfare doesn't extend to greenskins and thier allies.

I have never played with diseases, so is my fortress doomed or do i have just to wait it out?

I must have revenge!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #595 on: January 03, 2014, 04:53:45 am »

Separate the healthy from the sick, wait, rinse and repeat. Quarantine helps a lot.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 03, 2014, 04:58:05 am »

I have never played with diseases, so is my fortress doomed or do i have just to wait it out?

I must have revenge!
Sure hope none of your best orcs get infected with that incredibly fatal permanent disease.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 03, 2014, 05:13:03 am »

I messed a little bit around, they are ALL infected  ::)

also, in the manual it says at smallpox: [...]permanent, permanent immunity [...] does this mean that when someone is cured he can't be infected anymore?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 03, 2014, 05:16:37 am »

I messed a little bit around, they are ALL infected  ::)
Okay, at this point you have two choices. First is to abandon the fort, and your second option is to watch your fort crumble as everybody dies.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #599 on: January 03, 2014, 05:16:58 am »

Yes, once they survive they have anti-bodies. Just try to wait it out. Still, splitting the orcs up is not a bad idea.

Edit: Everybody? Pah, it has only a 10% deathrate per infection.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 113