Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191983 times)

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #555 on: December 10, 2013, 06:00:30 pm »

Thanks for the explanation Meph.   He did kill a FB early on before I really noticed him so that would be it.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 12, 2013, 05:40:11 am »

Well I have finally finished the all-ecompassing fortifications and I can start training and recruiting Snipers. The Lawkeepers (mauls/kiteshields) and Warcalled (multigrasped zweihanders) are training in the front yard, while a baby boom brought the number of kids from 3 to 15 in a single month. Four of said babies are depressed for some reason.

Finally ran out of iron, but I can't mine out any more because all the hematite veins are in the caverns where a squad of Gremlin bowmen all armed with bows and rusty steel arrows await in the unexplored regions. Since my troops are armoured in iron, though a few have orichalcum zweihanders, I won't be challenging them any time soon.

The victims of a warlock thief have finally succumbed to the rotting of their limbs. Their places in the militia have been filled and enquiries have been made into securing a set of turrets to protect against further forays.

Second artifact finished, but is a useless craft, same as the first. The Smith is only a level 2 armoursmith, though he made 9 armoursets and 5 kiteshields, which is annoying. I don't have the materials to give him the experience and there's no gold to make him part of the guild.

I have about 8 Forge Serfs (Furnace Operating, Oven Operating and Machine Operating) working on metal production, while 5 Gamekeepers (all Beast Warden skills except hunting) sit in the meeting hall. One of them might become mayor, if we ever make it to that point. The ammo caster is pumping out bolts, which on second glance are actually some of the most valuable things I can make. Irritating that all my bone crafts are vendor junk while they all want the bolts. Those are meant for my Snipers.

Half of the Warcalled are now mothers, one of whom lost her baby to a snatcher. Accessing the child's screen through the mother shows him as ecstatic and 'happy to be free'. Makes sense; he did get most of his bones broken by a rogue nymph.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 05:41:47 am by Gamerlord »

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 14, 2013, 11:50:14 am »

@Oldark:

Whoa, did Panderlyomens somehow turn Friendly or was he Opposed to Life?  I'm a little curious the mechanics of how such things happen.

He somehow turned friendly. Not sure what caused it but it was entertaining to watch.

I had two troglodytes do the same thing in my orc fort from an earlier version.  Those two trogs lasted for about two years, springing ambushes and basically clearing out everything even remotely dangerous in the caverns for me.

Til a Forgotten Beast with deadly blood showed up.  Everything that touched this things blood suffocated after about two minutes.  When the trog duo beat the thing to a pulp, they obviously suffocated and left a HUGE mess of deadly blood all over the area.

I had to wall the place off and forbid anyone from ever setting foot nearby lest they succumb to the curse or worse, drag it back into the fort with them.  I dubbed it Ravenholm.  We don't... go to Ravenholm anymore...
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 14, 2013, 09:58:14 pm »

Til a Forgotten Beast with deadly blood showed up.  Everything that touched this things blood suffocated after about two minutes.  When the trog duo beat the thing to a pulp, they obviously suffocated and left a HUGE mess of deadly blood all over the area.

I had to wall the place off and forbid anyone from ever setting foot nearby lest they succumb to the curse or worse, drag it back into the fort with them.  I dubbed it Ravenholm.  We don't... go to Ravenholm anymore...

I'm posting for no other reason than to say that I love this.

~ T

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 16, 2013, 01:53:39 pm »

I'm losing TONS of dwarves to the CULT OF THE CARP GOD.
I'm trying to build a temple, but you need a ceremonial statue and a ceremonial totem.
Does anyone know where you make those things?

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 16, 2013, 02:41:36 pm »

I'm trying to build a temple, but you need a ceremonial statue and a ceremonial totem.
In the monastery.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 16, 2013, 06:02:56 pm »

Lost my two miners the first spring to warpstone.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 17, 2013, 07:58:25 am »

In the monastery.

Thx, but I can't find the Monastery in the list.
It's a workshop, right?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 17, 2013, 08:13:04 am »

I think it's under a sub menu in workshops. Maybe furnaces down near the bottom in specialty buildings.  Took me a long time to find it the first time too

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 17, 2013, 08:15:07 am »

Half of the Warcalled are now mothers, one of whom lost her baby to a snatcher. Accessing the child's screen through the mother shows him as ecstatic and 'happy to be free'. Makes sense; he did get most of his bones broken by a rogue nymph.
Now the Scorpions (halberd users in chainmail) are all nursing. What the hell is wrong with these people? At least I have a few candidates for the Warcalled and Lawkeepers among the children.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 22, 2013, 09:54:15 pm »

This stupid rock has been burning for over 3 years, it's put a major halt on my metal-working from all the smoke and my orcs are having to make do with obsidian while I sit on a giant pile of candy and job-cancellations.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 24, 2013, 06:15:09 am »

Duum's been slowly dying for about 3 seasons now, I guess he's just an optimist or something.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 24, 2013, 09:01:13 am »

Bah, he's a snaga. They're no loss.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 25, 2013, 05:46:14 pm »

I founded on a volcano for a few mega-project ideas I've had.

For once I'm aiming to last a bit, and since what usually gets me is paying little-to-no attention to piling bodies in favor of rapid industry, I've designated an entire layer of rock to serve as catacombs for the honored dead. Each room will have 4 magma-safe coffins, and when each coffin of a room is filled, I'll seal it off and flood the room with magma to fuel a furnace up top. Plus, all military personnel at "skilled" or higher will have access to their own personal tombs, which will also be magma-flooded. To ensure a safe reclaim, the level immediately under any magma will be completely solid rock. The only downside I can possibly think of to this design is that I'm essentially rewarding myself for racking up a body-count, and that it might lead to unnecessary risks in order to open up more room for furnaces and forges.

Hopefully I'll get close to finishing it before those damn tree-humping elves come and slaughter everyone like they did to my last 2 embarks. Next on the agenda is rigging up a long, winding, trap-filled, and easily magma-purged fort entrance to dissuade such unwelcome visitors.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 30, 2013, 03:19:24 am »

Started a new orc fort and decided to try following the Thunderground rules from the manual for fun. First of all, I accidentally breached the third cavern first. Was able to seal it up and finally found the second cavern where I established my tribe. Things went well for a bit, then some floating brains came over my wall  (I am building it up to the ceiling but it wasn't finished yet) and into my central area. After they finished beserking and setting fire to everything I had about 5 survivors, one of whom promptly went insane.

About 3 months later I get an elven ambush spotted inside my dining hall. My orcs were trapped due to the elven positioning so I put them all in a squad and prayed for the best. It started off pretty horribly as every soldier was swiftly cut down by the elven bladedancers without even bloodying them, but ended up pretty awesome with one orc who had grabbed a copper pickaxe.

He was standing at a corner near the stairwell and fighting elves 3-4 at a time. When the dust settled he had killed 13 of the pointy-eared menace and had a bruised hand to show for it. As the sole survivor he gets to be my Clan Leader by default and once more migrants show up he's getting a nice housing setup and being told he never has to work again.

Its been about 2 more months and I'm still waiting on migrants. I have a (minor)ghost problem though as there are two ghosts that do not appear on the options list to be slabbed. At least they're not violent, just annoying. Anyone have a work-around for this bug or something I can do with dfhack?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 113