Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191825 times)

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #420 on: October 20, 2013, 07:06:39 am »

My first Deity showed up, and he's friendly!

http://i.imgur.com/QXVvAb5.png
http://i.imgur.com/WBtqUOa.png

For the life of me I cannot figure out why he chose to live in my fort of all places, as he's not worshiped by any of the dorfs and I've only recently begun religious ceremonies.

So far his divine will has been to lounge around empty houses, maul thieving scum, and deconstruct the Trade Depot every time the elves arrive. He's won me a breeding pair of grizzlies, he has.

Edit: I just looked him up in legends, apparently he's a human god. Do human gods frequently take residence in dwarf forts?

Cool. I've had this happen too,  had a Frost Giant god take up residence in my fort. But he just sat on my bridge for about 6 months, then died during a siege when I had to raise my drawbridge and he was somehow crushed :)

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 20, 2013, 02:26:40 pm »

My first Deity showed up, and he's friendly!

http://i.imgur.com/QXVvAb5.png
http://i.imgur.com/WBtqUOa.png

For the life of me I cannot figure out why he chose to live in my fort of all places, as he's not worshiped by any of the dorfs and I've only recently begun religious ceremonies.

So far his divine will has been to lounge around empty houses, maul thieving scum, and deconstruct the Trade Depot every time the elves arrive. He's won me a breeding pair of grizzlies, he has.

Edit: I just looked him up in legends, apparently he's a human god. Do human gods frequently take residence in dwarf forts?

Cool. I've had this happen too,  had a Frost Giant god take up residence in my fort. But he just sat on my bridge for about 6 months, then died during a siege when I had to raise my drawbridge and he was somehow crushed :)

Just like how players keep finding out those over-demanding nobles have 'met an unfortunate accident', huh? :D

Rikbog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 21, 2013, 10:09:08 am »

Flatland untamed wild neutral fort with a good amount of metal - most things except harder mining turned on.  Embarked with two dedicated fighters and a weak copper uniform for each.  I spend a year or two trying to dig out the fort while everyone goes on half rations and occasionally isn't both starving and dehydrated.  I miss a crucial caravan while my broker is endlessly updating stockpile records outside of his trader burrow, and immediately mark all the food and booze for theft (dump) as they pack up.  I get enough to survive for a while.  Next caravan comes and eventually goes mad while my locked gates keep out wrestlers.  At this point, my well is screwed up and nobody has anything to eat or drink with about 40 migrants from the gluttony guild.  I abandon the whole place, cause screw it. 

Well: dug but non-functional and murky
Pastures: non-existent.  The wrestlers already had their way with my booze goats anyways.
Farms functional, but without enough seeds to keep that many gluttons alive.
Defense: minimal.  Those two are tough, but they can't deal with rampaging oxen and a few dozen wrestlers.
Housing: 8 or 10 beds in a dorm, three tables, and 5 chairs.
The smelter level with magma underneath is going incredibly slow.  I think I spent a year trying to restart it with fresh copper picks when my miners dug out the magma cave and starved.  Apparently, those channels were set up wrong to make ramps and I never checked.  Making stairways to fetch the lost picks failed when the three channels all had stones in them.

Reclaim!  This is my first reclaimed fort.  I use the same exact embark profile as before, except with a couple forgotten weasels.
Wow, everything is scattered... fun.  Hey, at least my crops are still growing from before.  Hello two dozen wrestlers hanging out and one very tough angry elf in the main entrance.  Now, lets get down to business.  I have at least two years worth of hauling to do.  Why did I unforbid everything again?  There is also the matter of the ghosts.  The dead outnumber the living.

Things go relatively smoothly, and I finally give up on the stagnant well and use DFhack to fix it.  Food/drink is not in abundance, but we aren't starving often either.  I give a leggo recruit a hammer to go with my spear and axe guys, and set them to perma-train.  My angry elf guard kills off a couple minor ambushes all by himself before finally falling in battle, and my military trio gets some killing done as well.  I have a 30x30 outdoor pasture with a channel around it to keep stuff out (I get spam messages though since it's too close to the entrance where they can see invaders milling about).  I have a working well.  I have good farms.  I have all my workshops and the living quarters in the farm area (same 10 beds and three tables).  Things start getting crowded around 50, but it isn't TOO bad.  My entire downstairs is finished being dug with the magma smelters functional, but the living quarters and other workshop rooms empty.  The hospital is dug, but the beds are mostly not installed yet.  The refuse pit with a 1 level drop is turned on.  This is where things start to go downhill.

Refuse pile shotguns body parts to the bottom where people seem to want to reclaim some of those body parts.  10+ idiots get injured by falling spleens and lay in the 10 dorm beds all day.  I set the remaining happy people to carry beds downstairs to the new living quarters and tables to the new dining room, but they mostly ignore me.  They move about 25 beds and then sit around angry because they don't have their own beds yet.  The gates to the outside have been locked for a while to keep sieging migrants out of my food stores, but too many are inside already.  Idiot went berserk and blew up my brewery; I have no blocks to build a new one.

I spend about an hour whittling away dwarves gone berserk with my military, who re perfectly content to do so.  They've been training for this in their lonely hallway and their armor stand since they got to the fort, and they have no love for the gluttons.  I'm down to about 25 now, but some of those might be migrants locked outside the gate.  My three military are happy, one dwarf is ecstatic, and two or three more are in the orange.  The rest of the fort is on the verge of going berserk and running face first into an axe.  I've never really let a tantrum spiral come to its natural conclusion before, so this is new territory.

My biggest concern?  If my ecstatic dwarf gets killed, who is going to open the gates for replacement migrants?  Surely, pulling levers is below the status of my civilian slaughtering military.

Current status:
Military:  In copper armor with copper weapons and shields.  I have three steel axes, three steel hammers, and one steel spear made.  They have not been equipped in fairness to the spearmaster.  With this state of fairness in mind, they are all happy to kill any civilians that get out of line.
Civilians:  Tantruming and getting a hammer to the spine, mostly.
Living quarters:  More than sufficient for my surviving dwarves, if they stop tantruming long enough to go claim a room.
Metal industry:  The magma is flowing, but nobody is alive to make those last two spears.
Farms:  The fields are planted full and I have so many goats I don't know what to do with - especially without any farmers still sane.

So that's how my fort is going currently.  Hopefully they all die off quickly to make room for some new migrants.  I have the main part of the fort ready to colonize, but I was about a year behind schedule and the peasants revolted over the lack of beds.  Who would have thought a trash chute with a one level drop would cause so much death?

Short version:  A trash chute made everyone kill each other.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:14:17 am by Rikbog »

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 21, 2013, 11:56:28 am »

Why don't you assign beds to them?  That will start making them happier.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Rikbog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 21, 2013, 12:25:07 pm »

Why don't you assign beds to them?  That will start making them happier.
By the time I got around to even putting the beds in the rooms, it was too late.  I knew I was mistreating them, but had no idea they took it so personally until the trash chute incident made them all go nuts.  If they stop fighting, I might let the survivors have the newly dug noble complex. 

They were living out of the farming area on a temporary basis while I dug out the real fort down near the magma.  I just got swamped with migrants and overloaded before the basement was ready.  Temporary forts never seem to be.  Moving even a temporary fort to their new home underground is always a bigger problem than I expect.

Edit:  I have about six left from before the anger issues.  A migrant wave and an ambush showed up at the same time and the same place, so I lost 2 of my 3 military.  The wounded all died of thirst.  One poor migrant sat outside waiting for a doctor until some a frog siege got him.  His son is currently my only sad dwarf.  I think the commander needs the first set of noble rooms for cleaning up the ambush.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:16:53 am by Rikbog »

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 22, 2013, 01:55:50 pm »

Ah, grimelings again.  Three of them, looks like another fort destroyed.  Immediately drafted all twelve dwarves into the military, and they've run roughshod over me and my two Destroyers of Armok.  Everybody's blinking X, and there's a fire to boot.  I think the Destroyer is generating the fire, but they certainly waited a long time - the grimelings have fought their way past everybody and are now in the fort, on fire, trailing smoke and killing dwarves.  Sad face  :'(

The fire raged across the grass.  Little Igbit and Erib screamed as the roasted - the kids were trapped in a box canyon, never had a chance.  Amost the Ranger watched helplessly, trapped in his own canyon, awaiting death.  He could see Ast's charred corpse through the flames.  Inside, the remainder of the party pinballed around the Trade Depot, unable to escape as they continuously ran in fear from the grimeling, now motionless and burning but still alive.  And above them all towered the Destroyer, stationary and oblivious.  All hail Armok, God of Blood.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:04:13 pm by urmane »

eloidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 23, 2013, 02:07:42 pm »

Infernomancers suck :(
Just when all was looking good this one infernomancer shows up, starts fires all over the map and summons my poor dwarves who had the bad luck to be around the side of the map he entered.
So now im dealing with 1 infernomancer and i think around 7-10 flaming undead dwarves. My fortress is all walled in and the fires wont kill me immediatly, but the lack of acces to a river (the project i was working on when he came in) makes it look like this fortress will die a very slow thirsty death. I was in the progress of moving all my stuff inside and wood had a very low priority. There seems to be no coal in my vicinity so i cant even use all that iron and silver to make some weapons and armor.
Bad luck. Maybe next time will be better, still in doubt about reclaiming or just settle somewhere else.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 23, 2013, 02:57:37 pm »

You can rush dig to the magma for all smelting needs and tunnel to the river from the side with measures to route excess water into caverns if your caverns are dry.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 26, 2013, 11:50:59 am »

Tried to make a room full of gravity-fountains, like the kind found in old Moorish and Persian Mosques.

I guess it's a failtain though, 'cause no matter how much water I allowed into the feeding cistern I couldn't get the left two to start without flooding the room itself.
And then this happened.

I need to stop having ideas, it's just too dangerous.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

thefish1992

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 26, 2013, 12:42:16 pm »

Well my forts doing fine, had a human merchant, unfortunately they got caught between my hellfire and web turret, and a warlock siege.
left me with this

plenty of free steel for me as well.
Dwarven science. A logical solution, to a illogical problem.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 27, 2013, 04:18:12 am »

"The Blacksmith focuses!
The Blacksmith moves at shocking speed!"

Nice of you to announce yourself Mr Vampire. Please report to the crematorium for your new vocation.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 27, 2013, 06:44:32 pm »

Following up on the Water-pressure !!SCIENCE!! notes I've collected while making the failtain room, I've decide to make the logical step and weaponize gravity-fountains.

Thus my 50Z+ water-tower/cistern plans:

For Scale:

The idea is to collect water from the various ponds to the south of RopeRape, (RND's feeling frisky today. :-[) pump it all the way to the top of the easternmost peak, and store it there till I get the "Supersoakers" ready. I'm hoping the end result will be the ablity to instantly drown/crush any opposing force by pulling the proper lever. Maybe I'll place pressure plates too, just to automate it a bit more. I'll probably need Armok's "Pray for Rain" on repeat just to fill it though.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Katrinya

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 28, 2013, 12:25:01 pm »

A weregiraffe showed up at my fortress a few months after embarkation.  It swung my only militiaman around by his toe, ripped out his teeth (!!!), and tore him limb from limb.  It was the most disturbing death I've ever seen in my time with Dwarf Fortress.  I'm left with a lifetime phobia of giraffes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 28, 2013, 04:39:29 pm »

I was setting up the first military squads in the fortress of Ironhours, two 5 man macedwarf squads to serve as bodyguards to the Overseer/High Priest and his wife, the Mayor/Manager. So I got them all set up with mail shirts, round shields and maces and set them to sparring. For the first month, I had all of them training at once so that they would all grab their equipment right away. So far this is fairly standard stuff, but I wanted to do a little bit of RPing for this fort, so I arrayed the Royal Guard on either side of the speaker's podium, and set the Overseer to hold a speech with the whole fortress present to listen. Every man, woman and child in the fortress filed into the huge hall, listening with rapt attention to the Overseer's speech on the increasingly tragic tale of Dumplin. All was going well.

Then, it happened.

Standing on the far right of the Royal Guard's formation was Itur Ananosed, a former fish farmer and proud father of two sons, one of whom was in the other Royal Guard squad. I had taken a particular liking to him because of how quickly he learned the use of his mace and shield. He was a friendly dwarf, but was naturally shy. He never did have more than a few close friends, but he was hardworking and honest.

*Igbit Onulgasol, Royal Guard, has been struck down!*

The room exploded in panic, with the civilians running for the exits, the Overseer running into his palace, and the entire top right corner of the room covered in blood.

*Ingtak Sanrebducim, Fishery Worker, has been struck down!*
*Degel Rozsednekut, Bone Doctor, has been struck down!*
*Shedim Nabethked, Fishery Worker, has been struck down!*
*Urir Dostustnakas, Oven Operator, has been struck down!*

I paused in a hurry, and found that Itur had transformed into a "bloodbeast," torn poor Igbit limb from limb, and started biting and slashing his way through the panicking crowd of civilians. It wasn't long before the eight remaining Royal Guard surrounded their former comrade and started bludgeoning him to death. They broke almost every bone in his body, and nearly beat him to a pulp, but still the monster didn't die, and still it managed to slash and claw at them, but they were protected by their =steel mail shirts=. I just watched in horror for a moment, then I finally figured out what had to be done.

I found the Overseer, who was stuck in a loop of fleeing into his private statue garden, coming out, seeing the bloodbeast, and running back in again. He wasn't able to carry out my plan. So I found another dwarf with the skill I needed, Kol Kodkib. A recent migrant beast dissector who had some small skill with a sword. Being careful not to expose him to the beast too soon, I made him his own one man squad and had him pick up just one item, an iron short sword left by some goblins killed by weapon traps on the surface. Without stopping once, he walked to the dump where the sword was being stored, formerly awaiting melting, picked it up, and made his way to the Great Hall. By the time he arrived, the Royal Guard were nearly exhausted from trying to finish off Itur, and were getting weaker and slower. Kol ran across the room, and in two quick strokes Itur Ananosed was put to rest, and Kil Kodkib entered into a new career as Fortress Hammerer.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 29, 2013, 08:35:41 am »

Went through a great deal of trouble to set up Magma armory/weaponry/rune armory/rune weaponry and associated piles, but I have no leather for platemail :(

On the plus side, I now have some legendary weapons :)
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 113