Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191856 times)

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #375 on: October 05, 2013, 02:14:07 pm »

Innmouth, Mid-Autumn, Year 3.

Year 3 has been mercifully uneventful until now, as we recover from the rather cheeky Raptor-mounted Strangler sneak-attack.

As we missed out on Year 2's Dwarf caravan there have been no migrants this year. The elves don't make an appearance either, and it is not until Summer that the humans decide to put in an appearance. They don't bring much that's particularly useful, but it allows me to tidy up a bit.

A goblin archer ambush squad quietly grinds itself on a weapon trap over by the far western gate. By the time I notice all the blood, they've thought better of their schemes and run off.

Research has progressed, and, using Magmalings, we've just opened up our new magma-powered crafting facility. While we have plenty of coal, not having to take the time to gather it up for each combine will be a big time saver. I'll be glad of needing to mine less coal too, after one of my legendary miners, working on an exploratory shaft, got a lungful of lignite dust, wandered up to the dining room for a snack, and died.

Eastwards, beneath the desert we finally found gold, which will allow me to start signing up some likely lads into commercial and military castes. My miners fall upon the gold vein with gusto. And disaster strikes!!

A quite ordinary looking gold-bearing wall explodes, transfixing two miners. They transform into "Dwarves staring at the shifting ore", one dropping her baby on the floor, and everything gets a bit weird. Named bones and corpses start appearing, and start attacking eachother. I'm not sure what's going on, but I activate the emergency warren and tell everyone to get out of there, as folks run for doors to seal off the area. The bones start attacking the baby who nimbly dodges and starts making for the exit.

The dwarves return to normal dwarves again as Metalwraiths burst out of the corpses. "Run, you fools!", and they begin to move agonisingly slowly away from the metalwraiths. Fortunately, the Metalwraiths are momentarily distracted fighting bones, and corpses that claim to belong to the two dwarves. The dwarves appear unharmed, but are moving incredibly slowly at first.

Their movement returns to normal, and they leg it, grabbing the baby on the way.

So I've got two four Metalwraiths sitting in my gold vein. I rather need it back, but I'm not sure how dangerous they are. They seem to be quite happy sitting where they are for now. Just as well, as I don't have the area sealed yet.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:29:13 pm by Arkenor »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 05, 2013, 02:33:49 pm »

Metalwraiths are extremely dangerous, I'd advise trying to luring them into a cage trap or sending a few squads in full steel+. Careful about how you do it cause they only stay in one place when the closest target is directly above or below them, any to the sides and they'll pursue alarmingly fast.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 05, 2013, 02:40:39 pm »

I managed to get somebody close enough to wall them off. The gold vein was large and I'd almost finished digging it out. They've got about 4 fifths of it, but I've at least got a little gold to play with. And nobody died, so we're good for now.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 06, 2013, 12:45:52 am »

Having to hunt for iron ore for the first time (I'm usually swimming in the stuff) I finally found a level with some veins.  Happily mining it out and..."Zoden Shusugkalreth, *Miner* has transformed into a dwarf descending the mountains of madness!" uh oh...that doesn't sound good...
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 06, 2013, 07:48:58 am »

Started a dwarf embark on a point into an inland sea. Was planning on putting up a black tower and filling it with mages. Still working on starting the tower and it's year three, but I do have he point walled off and a decent gatehouse. Food, booze and clothes industries set up. Starting to train some military and putting my first few mages (immigrants) to work with them.

I got a windkin and a fire mage (lvl 2) and I put them in rigid scaleplate for down. I thought some fire protection might be good. :) So they were training on the beach (also nice with a fire tosser) and some giant crabs came ashore. The fire mage went after one and got into a real battle in which he got pretty beat up and lost his foot. My military commander, who is in mithril and steel over assorted top leather, and waving a bloodsteel battle axe, charged in and diced the crab with two swings (only lvl 3 axe so far). The fire mage healed up in my hospital in a few weeks, and walks slowly, but he's destined for my gatehouse anyway, if I can keep him from being too crabby.

Meanwhile my windkin, a mere level 1, took off after another giant crab solo. He dodged one attacks (nimble little guy) and slapped the crab with a spray of webs, walked over, and went into some weird martial arts stance and thrust his hand into its brain. End of fight. I don't know what to think.

I am planning on better armor for them though. And they both get the gatehouse. It's paved so fire should be containable. Just bought a couple slade turrets to help out too.

I had one titan, a firebreathing flying kestrel, that was a problem. I ended up savescumming. He was probably going to wipe me out based on his early actions and since he just flew past my defenses, but he got to my entrance and the game crashed. I think it had something to do with what the merchants there at the time had in their caravan. When he flamed them, boom and crash.

After sleeping on it, I went back to the last seasonal save. The titan reappeared and this time I dfhacked him. I want to try the magic system more. That was around the end of year 2.

I got one goblin ambush after that, but it arrived just in time to shoot at the last merchant guard entering my gate. They were human merchants and one steel wearing guard with his firearm chased them off and survived, barely. Rusty arrows versus gunpowder, even outnumbered about 6 to 1 he managed.

It's now early winter of 103. My population is 119 adults (136 total) of 200 cap. I have 3 active mages (an earthkin turned up too) and beginning to make some metal armor with my level 1 armorsmith. At least he's a smith guild, so he should improve fairly well. I haven't got the new training system up yet. My experience is only with the earlier library system so far. Handling moods fine (so far), but haven't gotten anything useful beyond decoration. Lost one baby dwarf to an accident to date. Playing all on hard except mining. Don't like black lung, but could tolerate that. The metal wraiths are too nasty too early for my taste. If Mason's Guild miners were immune to that trance I might go with hard mining.

Getting the mechanics from vanilla down better really makes a difference. Especially quantum storage using minecarts. My stockpiles and production areas are much more compact now. Using an above ground well for the moment (good practice for the new kobcamp!) since only need a bit of water for patient care. I have a little pond in my point for that. Will do some desalination later, I think, and make a proper water tank below ground. Or maybe I will do some stupid dwarf engineering and pump it up some z levels and put it in my tower so the mages can take showers.

It's now a city and it's called (of course) Udirurdim: Blacktower. I see a bunch of obsidian under the ocean to my northeast. Soon.
 Hmm,  I wonder if I can pour magma offshore and make my own obsidian island to build the tower on. Plenty of Blood of Armok to try with already. What's missing so far this embark is Tears of Armok for water.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 07, 2013, 10:27:27 am »

Blacktower got to late summer of 104 and was standing off an orc invasion with two slade turrets (which weren't getting many hits but keeping them at a distance) when I got a hard crash. Didn't see any special event leading up to it and wasn't doing anything unusual. I was seeing regular errors in the dfhack console from the beginning though. And constant unit checks which I haven't seen before.

Research system was working fine for me. Once I got my ink issue squared, I was copying blueprints fine also. Had a decent metal industry going and was even converting some gold to platinum looking forward to starting some magical work.

Lost a few axedwarves and my flamemancer to a water dragon earlier. They chased it off gouting blood, but at a cost. Also lost another fighting dwarf to some goblin flagellants. I chased off one ambush and sent him into the killing yard to finish off a wonded one when a second ambush popped and caught him. He killed one more before he got swarmed.

I think I will regen my world and see if that makes the error I was seeing go away. I suspect it was the cause of the crash.

Hmm, orcs or more dwarves... avoiding kobolds until the current digging issues are fixed, I think. Though as it stands that is late game issue and I never get to late game anyway. :)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 08, 2013, 09:35:25 pm »

Tried a "straight-to-cavern" embark, there were like 20 serpentmen down there just waiting for me. I hope they enjoy all the wine and meat I packed in case I hit a dry cavern.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 08, 2013, 09:38:50 pm »

Bloody hell, Stranglers are seriously cowardly. Running off because of a bone bolt that cut one wrestler's arm? Bloody disgraceful.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 09, 2013, 05:41:56 pm »

Tried a "straight-to-cavern" embark, there were like 20 serpentmen down there just waiting for me. I hope they enjoy all the wine and meat I packed in case I hit a dry cavern.

Just a heads up, the standard MW worldgens all have at least some water and are all 'no restrictive passages'/'high openness'. If you want something more random, you can change the world gen params pretty easily.

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 12, 2013, 11:07:59 am »

I'm dealing here with a really nice sorcerer:

Well, I like gingerbread :D

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 12, 2013, 09:50:38 pm »

Survived my first winter with my 4b Kobold fort, Paintedbone. Didn't realize it would freeze my stream, so was sweating the lack of water. Laid in some juice for the second winter about to begin. I forbid all the drink for now, to save it, but that doesn't seem to stop all the drinking. May have to go to a locked cellar.

I am building up over the stream. Fireclay is my building material. Using bone for furniture though. It's really cramped at the moment, but starting to furnish rooms on the first floor now, and about to work on the great hall. The trade depot will be outside the second floor, with an above ground approach I can cover from behind fortifications. I'll do a couple hairpin turns and trap the corners heavily, then go up through a bridge to the actual depot, so invaders will be forced to beat on a bridge closing the gap over their heads. There will be no guardrails along the path up. If they dodge the traps, they get to start over. It won't be a long enough drop to do much damage, but it will spread them out and give my ranged bolds more time to pepper them too.

I've had a couple hunters out with bola throwers. Aside from some giant moose, and a pack of drakes, they have been doing well. I haven't butchered much livestock, just been cramming it into a cage for now.  Got plenty of leather, meat and bones from the kills and the thieves and such my gate traps chewed up.

Just had my first siege. Lost a hunter to that (damned flagellants!). He did chase off one before he went down to three more. Then the kobold caravan arrived and helped scatter them a bit, though a pack of archers also turned up. I left my gate open, since it was well trapped, and it chewed up a couple. One came through after losing his shield, got jumped by my guard tusk ox bull, war drake and ironclad boar. He was dodging them well until my master druid saw him, transformed, tossed a web on him, then proceeded to rip off his limbs one at a time. First time I have seen a druid go hand to hand. Wow. The flagellant was distracted by the guard animals, but still.

I have my second level tunnel up and will start working on some blueprints. No moods so far, though I am in decent shape for them. May be lacking shell or something, but should have a bit of most things.

So far only kobold traders, but lots of those. I think I have seen four sets in less than two years.

Once I get things built up a bit, I want to try out the magic stuff and poisons. Still trying to get ahead of the happiness curve.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #386 on: October 12, 2013, 09:56:55 pm »

So far only kobold traders, but lots of those. I think I have seen four sets in less than two years.
It will be max 3 a year, and no other traders. Kobolds are now skulking item_thief entities, that means no allies.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 12, 2013, 11:58:48 pm »

Last kobold fort I had got the 8k embark point glitch so I took a ton of critters and decided they were founding a camp for the purposes of providing animals to the home civ. The two trap spiders and two drakes I took at the start led to so many dead thieves the interior of my camp was littered in blood because the spiders would web the enemy and then the drakes would bite their heads off. It only got more fun when a level 12 druid showed up in the first migrant wave. Suffice to say nothing ever got past the front gate before the next version came out.

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 13, 2013, 04:10:10 am »

It will be max 3 a year, and no other traders. Kobolds are now skulking item_thief entities, that means no allies.

i got really shocked when the kobold traders left the map and a thousend voices told me every good they left with was stolen :O

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 13, 2013, 04:40:23 am »

Ah yes, the one annoying trait of skulking races and trade.... Plus there the whole "no exported wealth" problem since technically all that stuff was stolen not exported.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 113