Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191926 times)

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #330 on: September 25, 2013, 12:37:07 pm »

Thats brilliant! Time to start a Bone Golem farm :)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 25, 2013, 08:30:13 pm »

One of my dwarves somehow changed his name. It used to be two words, and now it's just "Idenginon". I'm pretty sure it was two words anyway. I only noticed because I'm in the process of de-guilding anyone that doesn't need to be in a guild.

I wonder what is the significance of this. Maybe I'm paranoid.

I'm finishing a drowning chamber for the 60+ children anyway, maybe it'll be useful for other things as well.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 26, 2013, 01:30:16 pm »

No, but any nearby corpse. So pet-corpses will give tame pet-golems, dwarf corpses should give friendly bone golems, and corpses from invaders give hostile ones... its a powerful mechanic, but might backfire, depending on which corpses the guy has access to ;)

One game I get a Lich, I was more interested in his longevity, so I could have an eternal king (The Lich King?). I was a bit worried about have those tons of Moleweasels Bonegolems around. Cause I get a big load of unused bones  cluttering my Butcheries (Now I know how to quantum stockpiling so is not going to be a thread anymore). Even this Lich get married and got a child! wth?!

One of my dwarves somehow changed his name. It used to be two words, and now it's just "Idenginon". I'm pretty sure it was two words anyway. I only noticed because I'm in the process of de-guilding anyone that doesn't need to be in a guild.

I wonder what is the significance of this. Maybe I'm paranoid.

I'm finishing a drowning chamber for the 60+ children anyway, maybe it'll be useful for other things as well.
Yes I ask myself too about this thing, sounds pretty suspicious to me. I never deguild or guild someone but I still see this weird names than looks like cursed people or disguised Necromancers or Cultist of the Carp god?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #333 on: September 26, 2013, 02:17:47 pm »

I love it when you guys get paranoid. I should put more stuff like this in the game, with half them being utterly harmless. I wonder how many people will murder their own dwarves, "just to make sure".
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 26, 2013, 03:25:47 pm »

Give a dwarf a goth look and see how long he lasts.

Urist McSkateboard always has his hood up. Send him to the Temple.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 26, 2013, 03:35:09 pm »

I love it when you guys get paranoid. I should put more stuff like this in the game, with half them being utterly harmless. I wonder how many people will murder their own dwarves, "just to make sure".

Considering how many people make mass children drowning chambers I doubt one acting suspiciously would have enough time to do anything even if it was harmful.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 26, 2013, 04:43:14 pm »

Seriously Mep? xD you wonders why we are paranoids? lol
Considering how many people make mass children drowning chambers I doubt one acting suspiciously would have enough time to do anything even if it was harmful.

Well now you can add jobs to the childrens, so they are not just Poachers magnets and useless booze and food devourers. So mass drowning is just a waste of useful workers, also, they are suitable for dwarven sacrifice to Armok.

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 27, 2013, 11:46:37 am »

After about 6 months of being trapped underground during year 2 I eventually coaxed the Red Dragon into a baited chamber and sealed him within. He'll be a fun surprise for the first Siege I don't fancy dealing with myself.

I've had it unusually easy on the Siege front so far. It's year 5, and the Dark Stranglers and Beak Wolves are still coming. Being animals rather than proper folks, they're butcherable and a great source of meat, leather, and bones. Not to mention excellent training. The White Tigermen had their first go last year but only sent a single squad which didn't stick around after being shot a bit.

The goblins have tried a couple of ambushes. More worryingly, so did the Warlocks. Those guys scare the daylights out of me. Main problem with them being that they tend to explode poisonously when they die, so you simply can't let your melee troops anywhere near them, but equally, their lethal spells go right through fortifications.

The only sensible thing to do with Warlocks is traps, really. Honourable combat will just end up with a lot of dwarves dying in peculiar ways. If they try a full siege I'll set the Dragon on them. We'll see who can AOE spam the other first.

Since the Dragon I had a visit from a rather less terrifying Forest Giant, and then later a Titan decided to swing by. He was made of a proper material, so didn't immediately melt, and managed to devour a foolish fellow who'd decided to go wandering. Happily, that proper material was leather, so it did not last especially long once it came in range of my javelineers.

So, I've had it easy on the proper Sieges, but the Megabeasts seem particularly interested in me.

Kobolds, goblins, orcs, warlocks, automatons, evil humans, evil elves, and evil(er) drow have all had a go at thieving. No sign of the Frogmen, Snakemen, raptormen, frost giants, chaos dwarves, or putrid blendecs yet, but I'm sure they'll eventually turn up to give me some problems.

Internally, my utter lack of natural flux and dearth of fuel means the lads are not as well equipped as I'd like. While my Boneworker is something like level 37 now, and turns out Masterwork Bone Armour and Kite shields like a machine, that'll only get you so far. I've supplemented that with bronze mail and top leather cloaks. Sufficient for Beak Wolves, and actually does a decent job against goblin archers, but really need to get on top of that. Anything bone that isn't Masterwork goes to the mill to be ground to Bonemeal flux.

The other reason I'm so reliant on bone at the moment (apart from the fact I actually have it in abundance) is that my "proper" smiths were lost during the Carp God incident. The darn Cult Leader had only been in my base for 30 seconds, but still managed to convert them before the Armok's Ward revealed his nonsense. Without coal, it also took quite a while to tap into the volcano to get much smelting done. But that's under control now, and I've managed to get some decent welded mithril weapons for the melee boys. I still can't spare any steel for armour yet though.

Another later migrant was a warlock spy, but the Ward of Armok managed to free him of their mental control, and he's alive and well.

Steeloak is coming in very handy. I've managed to get a pretty big plantation going in spite of losing the whole original crop when we were hiding from the dragon, which mostly goes into making pretty effective ammo. I've not figured out how to make wooden kite or tower shields, else I've be using it for that too. I'll be able to use the Herbalist to convert steeloak into steel, once I get around to researching it. It's next on the list, once I get Magicka out of the way.

The Dragon managed to devour a few diplomats and non-cart merchants (the cart ones didn't bother turning up while my doors were all shut) before I got it under control, which rather stunted the trade situation for a couple of years, but folks are mostly talking to me again. Dragonfire is very thorough, and left almost nothing to scavenge from their tragic deaths.

Apart from the Carp God business, which between the folks who turned and the folks they killed, very nearly managed to put the early fort out of business, I've not had too many deaths. One to each of the Megabeasts (There's always some idiot wandering around in the wrong place for no good reason) and one to a nasty case of Warpstone inhalation.

So, things *appear* to be stable for now. But that will probably only last until something more dangerous than beak wolves mounted on giant tree frogs comes in force.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:01:41 pm by Arkenor »

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 27, 2013, 01:14:14 pm »

You sold me on Steeloak. I never bother because I usually have steel the time that any tree plantations could mature into useful volumes. The wood is too heavy for bins and barrels, but for ammo, now why didn't I think of that...
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 29, 2013, 11:18:08 pm »

I made a child starve to death, and as soon as the body was found it was resurrected.

Mysterious are the ways of Armok.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 30, 2013, 09:01:52 am »

Spring of Year 7.

Since last I wrote, the raptormen and frogmen got around to mounting their first siege attempts. Like most first attempts they came woefully undermanned. Both are aquatic races who can be a nasty surprise for folks who have not secured their water intake. I had, so they were not much of a problem. The Frogmen aren't much of a worry even early on. The Raptormen can be a bit more troublesome, especially with their ability to open doors, but one squad isn't going to do it against the team I've got now.

Trained on seemingly never-ending waves of Beak Wolves, The Jade Jousters are a melee squad to be reckoned with. I'm slowly replacing their bronze and bone with Mithril and Welded Mithril. Metals worthy of a dwarf. I've largely bypassed bloodsteel and deep bronze altogether. Steel itself is merely an ingredient for mithril. A little Welded Wolfram for a couple of hammerdwarves.

I'm trying to upgrade their weapons to Superior and ideally Legendary. They seem very unwilling to consider those to be upgrades, so I've had to assign their weapons manually.

I'd like to try poisoning/enruning their gear, but that's going to involve getting them to put the best equipment down for long enough to modify it. That can be done, but would create a big window (especially given how slowly they'd put it all back on again) where we'd be vulnerable to attack. So I'm going to have to make a second load of good gear.

I've now got Earth and Light wizard schools up and running. I sent a magically adept small child into the Earth one (Arcane caste children are quite happy to perform magical tasks like small beardy Harry Potters.) and was surprised he came out of the process as an adult. Giving me 1 rank 1 Earth, 1 rank 1 Wavekin, and top of the heap is Sisal, the  Arcane Protector, a very lucky migrant arrival.

I want to get the Water School up and running, but every attempt to research it devours an Armok's Tear, which don't exactly grow on trees even if you buy them for 10000 gold. I've spent 40K on it so far.

There's a Siege force milling around down in Cave 1. Batmen I think, though they've not moved anywhere visible yet. The trapdoor down there is secure, so they probably can't get in. I've not done any more than burrow down to locate the cave level so far. I'll set something a bit better up if I get a quiet moment up top.

Every year the Beak Wolves come. I think I've probably killed all the Dark Stranglers now. Not many of them survived Worldgen, but the Beak Wolf population is rather more healthy. Now that I'm not making bone armour any more, my crypt has become rather full and bones are piled up at the butchers. I've got my two legendary bonecrafters making just about anything useful they can to try and clear out the backlog.

Not helping this situation is a slight explosion of Moleweasels. 63 right now, after a lot of culling, and I daresay as soon as I get below 50 they'll explode again. A brilliant source of materials. I let them wander around freely, and they do an excellent job of running around outside locating ambushes.

Behind them, there is a risk of a number of other animal population explosions occurring. I've a bad habit of buying every single animal that is offered me. The risk of the Cragtooth Boar and Badgerdog explosions were dealt with by steelplating most of them, ending their ability to reproduce. Quietly, though, about 30 types of non egg-laying creatures are growing in numbers. Anything that actually made it into the main part of my fortress would have a quite varied and unpleasant day.

Goblin Ambushes are happening with greater frequency. The last one managed to kill one of my sword-dwarves. Largely because he'd decided the weather was too nice to wear a helmet. He was wrong.

The Elves' evil twins also tried a bit of an ambush, but fortunately tore themselves into pieces on some old bone traps before running away. Not exactly robust, those evil elves.

I'd set the population cap to 100. That's served me very well until now, but I could do with a few more dwarves to replace the fallen, and it'll be a while before any of the children are ready to step forward. I tried to recruit the guards from the latest dwarven caravan, using the Embassy, but that failed to work. I'm considering trying summoning a migration wave via the embassy, but I'm a little concerned that after so many years without migrants, the wave might be somewhat epicly large. That's assuming it works with my cap set as it is.

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 01, 2013, 04:01:25 pm »

My 3i Fort will forever stand, it seems, as it's time for Masterwork 4a!

It took me rather a long time to generate a world with a decent number of survivors of all races I wanted to use, but got there eventually:

Code: [Select]
Civilized World Population

25144 Nagas
8143 Dark stranglers
3686 Frogmen
559 White tigermen
12050 Beak wolves
17678 Raptor men
10334 Gnomes
9184 Kobolds
8019 Orcs
3531 Automatons
9675 Drows
4267 Frost giant
6794 Warlocks
23949 Chaos dwarves
7565 Human bandits
5490 Elf ashlanders
9510 Deep drows
17037 The Mighty Dwarven Legion
34083 Taiga orcs
29460 Dwarves
5072 Humans
16597 Elves
6983 Goblins
522 Kobolds

Total: 275332

Tigermen are a bit low,  but they'll be able to make a few appearances. It's year 150, and we're still in the Legends period (and I set megabeasts pretty high.). As usual, quite a lot of varieties of semi-megabeast and megabeast are extinct, but the Blue Dragons, Sky Dragons and Griffons have managed to breed and held up the numbers enough to keep us in Legends. There's modest numbers of other folks, including a couple of vampire lords and an arch lich.

This time around I went with harder mining as usual, but added harder farming. I'll have to make sure the lads don't starve, but we'll likely be dining well on beak wolves before too long. Decided not to use the slagpit. While it's handy for making fertiliser, which I may well need, I found it pretty annoying in the last game, with Masterwork slag ending up cluttering up my smelters.

The new tunnelling enemy option is slightly terrifying, but I'm giving it a go. I suspect it is going to turn out to be the end of me when the antmen boil up out of the caverns somewhere unexpected.

The Taiga Orcs will be a fresh threat for the Emerald Library to deal with. As a playable race, I suspect they're going to come well-armed, but hopefully lacking the wall destroying abilities of their regular orc brethren. Maybe I'll even give them or the kobolds a go in this world at some point.

Time to find myself a nice spot to build, and strike the earth! There's five towers, so I might be able to find myself a decent spot within range of one.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:39:02 pm by Arkenor »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #342 on: October 01, 2013, 04:12:34 pm »

My testfort is going... strangely.

First of all it feels weird to embark with 1300 points, 7 dwarves, no fastdwarf and no free reactions I usually have while testing. Then I did breach the walled-off cave while mining living rock, in the pools of blood my dwarves found a passage downstairs into the caverns, filled with gold, gems and fossils. Speaking of fossils, I randomly looked at my Archeologist and saw that he has a "glowing relic" lying around, just seconds away from being identified and restored. I instantly cancelled it, if that thing gets restored the fortress will fall... and its just autumn.

Curiously enough, a kobold caravan showed up, wagons being pulled by giant rats, lets see what they bring for trade. I did not expect this sideeffect, but apparently the cutebolds are allies of the dwarves, skulking race or not.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 01, 2013, 04:16:02 pm »

Oh good! I can use more folks to unload my junk on. Active in Spring AND Autumn too. My Broker is going to have many more opportunities to refuse to go to the Depot.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #344 on: October 01, 2013, 04:18:48 pm »

I am not sure if I should keep this, its not intentional. ^^

The Dwarven caravan guard, axedwarf and flamemancer lvl2 just incinerated a wild boulder crab that escaped the caves.. so lucky its raining atm, otherwise the world would be on fire.

Adn then a corpse grub came up from the caverns, one-hitted my wartrained shaggy badgerdog and broke someones foot, before my expedition leader dispatched it with a copper pick.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:30:37 pm by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 113