Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191939 times)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #300 on: September 17, 2013, 09:45:53 am »

I never said I use all the points.  :)

Of course, walling in the wagon would probably be a safer bet than managing a collapse. My dorfs always seem to get injured.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #301 on: September 17, 2013, 10:32:48 am »

I think it would be fun to do a embark with 100 dwarves, 150,000 points and all that. Take 50 military dwarves, full armor and weaponry, take some golems, turrets, pets, run embark everywhere and nano-fortress, embark on a 1x5 map with a fortress/castle...

Take the castle, which should take up all the space from east to west, but leave a lot of way north/south for armies to approach you.

Now station your golems, station your turrets, build siege engines, arbalests and trebuchets, firepits and traps, and enjoy the show.

Or take 100 dwarves, embark on a world where the dwarven civ is dead, and play the last of your kind, see how long you can survive.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 17, 2013, 10:58:06 am »

I've always wanted to do an embark with a dead dwarven civ.  The last dwarves in the world trying to recreate their society but doing it with 7 dwarves and the 2 mandatory small migration waves felt too slow and/or bleak for me.  Doing it with 100 dwarves and tons of resources would actually be interesting.

Is there a way for ensure a world is generated without a dwarven civ?  I suppose I could drastically lower the number of civs in my world but I like having lots of potential invaders.  Or do I just turn off "Playable civilization required" in advanced world gen and just keep genereating over and over til I get lucky?

Thanks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #303 on: September 17, 2013, 11:02:34 am »

You do need a dwarven civ, otherwise you cant embark as dwarves. ^^ You just have to get (un)lucky with your world... but I bet there are ways to mod the entity file to make them die out more easily.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 17, 2013, 09:12:47 pm »

Welp, I have learned that apparently mastiffs tend to be more reliable than dwarves. I also need to figure out  what the hell these stripped corpses are for. I'm guess the apothecary's study, but hey, it may just be the leftover bits and peices of the three hiveguards the mastiffs killed that couldn't be put to use.

So far this latest release is proving... Alright I guess.

but I bet there are ways to mod the entity file to make them die out more easily.
Take away the ability to "speak," making them autohostile to all unfortunately (so no outside trade,) make the ethics so horrible even goblins will be appalled and want you more dead than usual, or simply so a particular race wants you dead frequently. I'd use elves as an example but in this mod they have actual weapons, not sticks.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2013, 11:34:27 pm »

Since mastiffs breed pretty fast, it's not the worst idea to round up 15ish or so and armor them up en-mass via the beast kennels.  Leave a stockpile of bones close by, and training them at the same time a few levels is easy. They make good speed bumps buffed like that.

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 18, 2013, 01:00:03 am »

You do need a dwarven civ, otherwise you cant embark as dwarves. ^^ You just have to get (un)lucky with your world... but I bet there are ways to mod the entity file to make them die out more easily.

I found during worldgen experimentation that dwarves tend to die off first on the diverse map if you have lots of mountain caves and lots of megabeasts. Roughly 800 megabeasts should reliably kill off dwarves 7/10 times. Don't forget to reduce the number of possible dwarf civs to 1 in the entity file without reducing the overall amount of civilizations to ensure there are other races to trade and fight.

When you start genning, look for the first dwarf site and see if any more pop up around it. If there are just a few sites and then growth stops for 10+ years you probably have a dead dwarf civ. Check legends to confirm.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 18, 2013, 08:56:24 am »

Thanks Varyag, I'll definitely try that.  Just waiting on the next version of Masterwork before I start the great survival experiment.

As for what's going on in my fort currently.  It's getting pretty dull around here.  Mostly I'm just using it for playing with new features and workshops I've never built before at this point.   Seven years in and I have a volcanic clad death squad of just seven dwarves that can cut through anything the world has thrown at us so far.   Thanks to practice with the Scriptorum I had a legendary weaponsmith and armorsmith by the end of year two and everything is top quality.   They're so effective I haven't quite figured out why I'd go to the trouble to make poisons or runes or anything yet so I haven't played with those yet.

I've been playing with the religion system which I like quite a bit.  I like the concept of having a core group of devotees to Armok who mutter and pray and sacrifice in their temples and shrines and receive gifts.   There's probably a lot more I don't yet know about the system as I haven't tried all the reactions yet, but it seems fun.  Great addition to the game so far.

I haven't had a merchant caravan in a while, a couple years at least, which is odd.   Probably because the dwarven liason wandered into a goblin ambush on his way out of the fortress and died, and perhaps something to do with me seizing all the mithril goods from the elves to melt down for volcanic.   Damn touchy elves. 

I've started to look into the magic system and built the buildings, but it seems a very large investment in resources and time just to get a dwarf who's more a danger to my fort than the invaders are.  Fire, webs and tsunami waves seem like just generally bad things to me to be throwing around. Especially when I can just open the gates and have my seven warriors hack apart 84 invading naga men who show up.  (I don't have the invaders material boost on but I might in the next fort which might solve that).  Perhaps in my next fort I'll try an all mage military, but I can't really see a place for them in this fort. 

In fact that gives me an idea.  Next fort, embark with 100 dwarves from a dead civ.  ASAP make one faction of them priests, one faction arcane dwarves, one faction scientists/archeologist, etc.  RP it as the three of them fighting for the future of the dwarven race magic vs religion vs science.  Might be fun.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 18, 2013, 09:46:02 am »

Well I just used the inventor's bench for the first time. It is... interesting. Getting two weapons for the price of one is great, but I have to micromanage to stop the fucking dwarf from taking gold bars instead of steel. DAMNIT YOU LITTLE FUCKTARD, GOLD DOES NOT MAKE GOOD WEAPONS.

In other news, I now have an artifact fur 'goblin skull helm' or something like that. Going to give that, along with the artifact bone plate gauntlet to my executioner.

Also, the embark started off with a Windkin and a Wavekin and using them as normal dwarves actually seems like the best option. Already working on plans to convert my entire population into fire mages.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 19, 2013, 11:40:15 am »

Some forest spiders just ate my door  >:(

I'm doing a fairly conservative embark with a small wall around my stair, and I put a featherwood door to lock stuff out. Three forest spiders were roaming around the map, sometimes getting close. At some point they make a beeline straight to my entrance and sit there. I'm wondering, what are they doing? Are they just going to camp there until the dwarven caravan arrives? Noooo, they were eating the freaking door.

Then they promptly ran off.

editL that gave me an idea: I can put a door behind a raising bridge. While they are busy with the door, I can just pull a lever and show the door-eating bastards whose doors they are messing with.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:43:18 am by Blue_Dwarf »
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Trojanhamster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2013, 02:34:22 pm »

I found during worldgen experimentation that dwarves tend to die off first on the diverse map if you have lots of mountain caves and lots of megabeasts. Roughly 800 megabeasts should reliably kill off dwarves 7/10 times. Don't forget to reduce the number of possible dwarf civs to 1 in the entity file without reducing the overall amount of civilizations to ensure there are other races to trade and fight.

When you start genning, look for the first dwarf site and see if any more pop up around it. If there are just a few sites and then growth stops for 10+ years you probably have a dead dwarf civ. Check legends to confirm.

Been trying to make this happen myself, had to bump up the titan amount to 300 plus everything you mentioned in order to get it happening at all frequently. One thing that I did observe that may be helpful to others trying this is during world gen conquered dwarven mountain homes will turn into crowns instead of statues (if you're using phoebeus's tileset). Also you can verify they're dead by looking at all the dwarven sites after the world is done generating, but before you've confirmed. If it says "Dwarven Fortress x" or "Dwarven Mountainhome x" they're still alive, conquered ones will either have a different race (ie "Orc Fortress x", or if they were wiped out by a titan/megabeast it will just say "Fortress x" or "Mountainhome x". Made weeding out starts a lot easier.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2013, 04:28:08 pm »

One trick you can you do making the initial wagon wall (and this works well if you go itemless) is wall off the wagon/stairs and leave enough space for a constructed ramp up. Roof the wagon wall and hatch cover the hole where the ramp is.. If on a flat embark be sure to build an external ramp to gain access to the roof from the outside. If horrible things come early, lock the hatch. You are safe from everything that's not a lock picker, forest spiders be damned.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 22, 2013, 03:14:02 pm »

Trying to make a 100% "carnivorous" dwarf fort without any grazers, but they keep dying of thirst before I can get the first blood pot filled. Seventh try's the charm, I guess. ::)
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 22, 2013, 05:45:12 pm »

Autumn of our second year. Negligible wealth, and still armed in bone and leather on account of the lack of fuel and flux. 36 dwarves, recovering from the infiltration of the Carp God that came along with the last lot of migrants. And now a red dragon has arrived to put us out of our misery.

Not entirely sure this should be possible. I'm even less sure what I'm going to do about it. Not remotely flyer proof yet!

Edit: [ATTACK_TRIGGER:35:0:100000]  Grim. The vanilla dwarf number required for a Red Dragon is 80, which is why I was so taken by surprise.

Edit: Managed to get walls up at all my entrances in time. That'll keep the lads alive for now, but I'd better expand my mushroom farms.

Whoever comes to pay me a visit next is going to get a nasty shock. Hope it's not anyone I like.

It was, being Autumn, the Dwarves. As I'm totally sealed in, the merchants didn't stay, but the Liason decided to stand around until the Dragon made it over to him. That's not going to make me popular back home. At least I won't have to worry about any migrants turning up.

Within the mountain, I'm trying to tap into the volcano without giving the Dragon a way in, as I suspect he may well be lava-proof. I'm getting a little flux from the ore crusher, but that's it. I never got around to building a windmill for bone armour crushing, and a watermill isn't an option right now either. Still, iron and bronze will be an improvement on what I've got. I'll have to save any steel I can make for research and building.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:21:10 pm by Arkenor »

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 23, 2013, 04:06:40 am »

Found a vampire that's been feeding off people in my fort. I walled him up and I thought he seemed pretty normal until I looked at what he was wearing. He must be drunk off dwarf blood or something because he's clearly having trouble using his journal and hourglass. I'm wondering how he fit it INSIDE his ear. :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:09:25 am by Baijiu »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 113