Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192032 times)

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2013, 06:32:39 am »

I don't care how nice my workshops look, it's all abstract, and I care more about buildings and realism. I'd prefer a practical workbench with tools, doing jobs associated with said tools. I have my own idea on how workshops should work/be replaced, I don't know if it's any worthy actually but I still have this idea on my mind. There could be different types of workbenches, Saw Workbench, Hammer Workbench... Each one would need a construction material (be it logs, planks, stone or whatever) and its appropiate tool. You'd be able to use the workshop to run any reaction that makes sense to be done with said tool. Tools should be able to be bought on embark, or maybe knapped. Knapping should fit Kobolds, no? Knappable rocks could be gathered on the surface from pebbles tiles like in Adventure Mode by defining a clay-alike collection zone and then issuing collection and knapping them on a tool-less Knapping Workbench (is the "collect clay" reaction hardcoded? If so, you could still be fine gathering rocks from the kiln). Another choice on tools is to make them separated from workbenches, so every workbench has to use an appropriate tool and an appropriate reagent for every reaction (example: to make a wooden chair the reaction would need a saw and a log, preserving the saw), with the tool possibly breaking, like in the Fishing Pond. Tools made with more durable metals should be less likely to be lost, or even indestructible. What do you think about it? If you don't support the idea, I might even try to do it myself. I guess I have to learn modding.
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2013, 08:06:17 am »

00112: When you say that he turned berserk, was that without any outside cause? Did he transform into a bloodbeast, or did he only get crazed? That might be a bug you discovered.

I had the exact same thing happen with a werewolf cursed dwarf cured by the ward. He just went hostile without giving any indication (no tantrum, no berserk, no transformation) beyond a combat report stating he is punching livestock. When one of my soldiers killed him the entire fortress turned on the poor soldier.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2013, 09:02:16 am »

Just restarted an above ground camp. All went fine 'till a boa oneshot my three Kobold soldiers. So we're stuck with 4 Kobolds. Note to myself: DON'T send unarmored Kobolds to fight with wooden weapons.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2013, 09:18:19 am »

00112: When you say that he turned berserk, was that without any outside cause? Did he transform into a bloodbeast, or did he only get crazed? That might be a bug you discovered.

He only went crazed. Outside he's a dwarf, but the unknown creature substance within him said so otherwise.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2013, 10:28:48 am »

They have a chance of remission. If I ever see someone 'cured' I sacrifice them and burn their body.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2013, 10:42:35 am »

Unil Osedosdin, Fish Cleaner has created Arzesiklist, a wooden hand cannon!

That is all.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2013, 11:06:22 am »

My new recruits had a sparring lesson in the open (literally, the barracks are just one armor stand by a murky pool), the machetebold dodges into the murky pool and is found drowned. Also, the river-crossing trap caught an asp, several gnoll to be fed to the ogre, and three female niths. Hopefully, when they're tame they stop murdering people.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2013, 11:07:08 am »

I just had one of my in training dwarves (who had been cured of necromancy the year before when he migrated) started attacking some animals out of the blue. Luckily he was near a Muskox Bull, which knocked him around a little while a few war dogs bit his arms, then goring him in the face. It took a few pages of reports for them to get through the steel armor, but he lost the masterful welded-mithril spear and blade shield quick enough for it to not be a problem.

A few months before the same thing happened to the Mayor (who had been cured of a were-curse at the same time). Although his situation ended somewhat faster.

Is this just something that can happen with those who are cured? Or is there a way to lessen the chance of remission, if that is actually what's going on.

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2013, 11:54:22 am »

Just lost that fort with the wood handcannon. First ambush was ten goblin lashers and archers riding GIANT DROWSPIDERS! o.O I wasn't prepared, hadn't even got decent traps set up yet. My depot was still outside. T.T

I need to come up with a good routine for starting a fort. I always end up with a mess right at the entrance, and never get around to moving things into dedicated areas.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2013, 12:10:07 pm »

Thinking about it again, I've caught an Asp using a bridge filled with cagetraps. But Asps can swim. ::)
Master: I'm even worse. I play Kobold Camp, refusing to live underground like bearded tramps. Even just making planks and some worthless wooden furniture Kobold thieves start appearing. They carry copper daggers and some protection, which is often more than enough to kill somebody, once even a drake, while escaping. On my current fort they wounded my last soldier to death (he was left bleeding unattended and died of thirst, actually. But anyway, the idiot had grown attached to a training club). The other soldiers got killed by a gnoll before. Gnolls come in large packs and while they keep away from Kobolds they aren't shy to kill one who gets too close to them. And the others even before by a boa. But when goblin ambushes come, you are either walled in or screwed. About ten rusty iron lashers who could even kill even steel-clad dwarves as far as I'm concerned and some archers to kill anything that is above the walls. I guess I just have to optimize my given time to the maximum, rushing to the brick-spitter Batch Kiln. Above ground isn't that easy, but I like watching my building on stonesense. I feel proud of them. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:11:59 pm by Apani »

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2013, 12:53:37 pm »

Above ground isn't that easy, but I like watching my building on stonesense. I feel proud of them. :)
Care to post some Stonesense screenshots? I'd love to have a glimpse of our kobold camp!

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2013, 12:59:22 pm »

I've posted some stonesense screenshots on this topic, on the precedent page.
Just embarked to test my new Workbench-OH MY GOD WHY THERE ARE SO MANY-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ok, I came up with these reaction. Hopefully building up walls should be easier now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:WB_WOOD_PLANKS_CHOPPER_TRAINING]
[NAME:Cut wooden planks with a wooden chopper]
[BUILDING:WORKBENCH:CUSTOM_W]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CHOPPER_TRAINING:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
[PRODUCT:100:4:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[PRODUCT:20:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SAWDUST_PILE:INORGANIC:SAWDUST_SOLID]
[SKILL:WOODCUTTING]
[REACTION:WB_CHOP_WOOD_PLANKS_CHOPPER]
[NAME:Cut wooden planks with a metal chopper]
[BUILDING:WORKBENCH:CUSTOM_M]
[REAGENT:A:2:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CHOPPER:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
[PRODUCT:100:10:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[PRODUCT:30:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SAWDUST_PILE:INORGANIC:SAWDUST_SOLID]
[PRODUCT:30:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SAWDUST_PILE:INORGANIC:SAWDUST_SOLID]
[SKILL:WOODCUTTING]
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:WORKBENCH]
[NAME:Workbench]
[NAME_COLOR:4:0:1]
[BUILD_LABOR:CARPENTRY]
[BUILD_KEY:CUSTOM_W]
[DIM:1:1]
[WORK_LOCATION:1:1]
[BLOCK:1:0]
[TILE:0:1:209]
[COLOR:0:1:0:0:0:6:0:0:6:0:0]
[TILE:1:1:209]
[COLOR:2:1:6:0:0:6:0:0:6:0:0]
[TILE:2:1:209]
[COLOR:2:1:6:0:0:6:0:0:6:0:0]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][BUILDMAT][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
The workbench can be quickly built with any construction material by a carpenter, and can be used to make 4 wooden planks with a wooden chopper or 10 planks with a metal one by a woodcutter. The tools don't risk to break yet. The chance for sawdust is quite low, compared to Sawmill's 100%, that is.
The workbench itself appears as a mono-tile brown table. How could I get the workshop's colour before construction to be black and white like still to be placed furniture?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:19:04 pm by Apani »

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2013, 08:25:57 pm »

Apani, that looks awesome :) (btw, you can collect palm saplings using herablists/collect plants)

This has happened to me at least twice.  Pretty much the same situation.  Ward cures dwarf; one year later, dwarf goes nuts and becomes a bloodbeast.  I think I first saw it on 3d.

I now make sure that the 'cured' dwarf is secured away when the time comes.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2013, 09:08:41 pm »

Has anyone else had a dorf get a lot of experience for a mood, but NOT become legendary? I just had a smith fey mood and make an orichalcum throne (awesome) but he only became a high master. o.O His tooltip in DT *does* say he has a 50% XP penalty though. Could that be due to harder learning?

I turned that off but I assume that the dwarfs that are already generated would retain their stupider-than-usual.

[Edit] Annnnd... My first unwelcome guest just dropped by for a visit. It was a frost wyrm. It chased my scribe a full circle around the map. Seriously, there's a line of blood from the wyrm freezing itself all the way around the fort. In Angzak's mind, discretion was the better part of valor, and cowardice the better part of discretion, so he valiantly ran like the wind. Unfortunately the dragon ran about as fast, and managed to catch poor Angzak in the ass cheek, then killed him, before turning toward the gate. My landmines did manage to do some damage, but not much. Since these things are trapavoid, it was nice to have SOME stationary defenses against it. When it charged the gate, it ran into my animal defense force: Two ironclad dogs and two tusk oxen. The dogs died almost instantly, but the Tusk Ox gored it and pushed it back out of the gate before it died. Between Angzak and the animals, the military had time to get to the gate, and between them and Tusky's widow, they managed to down the beast.

Angzak's valiant dash will be remembered. He has earned a place of honor overlooking the entrance to the fort he couldn't find, buried in Katdir Catten, The Glimmer of Channels, a kaolinite coffin. Well, at least most of him. His friends apparently saw fit to inter his hands and his head, but his mutilated body lies in the rubbish heap.

[EDIT EDIT] lol As soon as I unpaused after that battle, an idiot thief pops up "Dammit all, I am seen!" right in front of the bloody recruit that killed the Wyrm. Mister Recruit, pumped up on adrenaline and wyrm breath lopped off the gobbo's head and it sailed away in an arc.  8)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:01:50 pm by masterdiscord »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2013, 10:01:21 pm »

Just lost an embark on an evil mountain/neutral wasteland with no surface water, I was doing pretty good until the damn metalwraiths showed up. Lacking a military, the first thing I did was conscript the entire population (about 30 or so) and mob the pair that spawned. All they managed to do was prove to me that metalwraithdom is highly contagious at least within the first few ticks, as the possibly beatable 2 turned into a near-apocalyptic 11.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 113