Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191907 times)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2013, 06:47:01 pm »

That was the first one I had seen, so they seem rare enough to me  :)

If they don't show up right off the bat, and you are making sure to check your migrants, they don't seem like they would be super difficult to quickly isolate. Only having a single communal room is what did me in.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2013, 12:29:29 am »

Ehm... no.

Youth Potions add NO_AGING, meaning no death from old age. And any doctors that give mediactions... well, thats not in the game and cant be modded that easily. Atm diseases are very rare, and if you happen to get one: Deal with it. 8) 80% of your fort is now almost blind and will probably stay like this.

elixir of life is what I was thinking of, but I guess that isn't in the game?
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2013, 08:30:36 am »

I've personally decided to keep extra difficulty features like plagues and such off for the time being. I figure I need to make a fort that lasts longer than two years before I'll feel comfortable enough to deal with even more !!FUN!!

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2013, 01:00:02 pm »

Freezers.  The raws say they can be killed “only (mostly) with cutting, to the head or torso” so I go for volcanic two-handers (volcanic = 3x damage against Frosties) w/ a rune asap (6x damage).  Or, there’s those MMA dragon raptors:

Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2013, 01:42:38 pm »

I hate these things. As an adventurer I recall they're extremely hard to outrun, savage, deadly, and fat. How did you get them?
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2013, 02:44:49 pm »

You can get them from caravans easily enough, either Drow or Elves, they both have a wide variety of critters.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2013, 02:52:03 pm »

I think I should lower the frequency of dinosaurs. I see way to many raptors and sauropods. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2013, 03:01:26 pm »

Raptors, drakes and dragon raptors? Seen plenty of them. A Sauropod? Never met one.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2013, 05:06:37 pm »

I think I should lower the frequency of dinosaurs. I see way too many raptors and sauropods. ;)

Hey!  I’ve lost enough embarking dwarves to Dragon Raptors that I’m gonna play with ‘em a while on my side.  300K wealth brings top-tier invaders so if a player neglects to forbid the early mithril, one moody dorf making an encrusted/studded sarcophagus artifact with hanging thingies brings War Raptors with Names.  Sauropods are maybe a bit much even after you downgraded them; a steel-clad Dino from the Flintstones growing in 5 years to the snot-blowers from Jurassic Park must stretch the steel to the ferric equivalent of gold leaf.  Lots of meat, still one stack of bones.  And – is there a bug with cladding Dragon Raptors?  Raptors clad.  Dragon Raptors … the steel and mechanism disappear from inventory, there’s a flash over the Kennel but the Dragon Raptor just stands there, un-clad, waiting to joint lock something.  And the very next season:

I hate spiders.
The ones with Names.  That come 40 at a time with Goblin archers and Hulking Black Barghests.  With Names. 
I hate spiders. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2013, 05:17:20 pm »

Looks like you need a moat. 8)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:19:32 pm by Apani »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2013, 05:20:21 pm »

The frequency in which spiders shoot webs will be nerfed for the next release.

And – is there a bug with cladding Dragon Raptors?  Raptors clad.  Dragon Raptors … the steel and mechanism disappear from inventory, there’s a flash over the Kennel but the Dragon Raptor just stands there, un-clad, waiting to joint lock something.
Not a bug... the reaction does say "Raptor", not "Dragon Raptor". Its two different creatures. Like Elephant and Giant Elephant.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2013, 07:43:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My latest cave embark. Savage rocky wasteland, shallow clay, aquifer (god bless it), no vegetation whatsoever. I brought a pair of shalswars, an ogress, a pair of changelings and a pair of giant jack rats. I brought a clay boulder to start building Kilns and mass gathering clay. My army is composed of a Lizard with a copper Machete, a Turtle with a copper pointy stick and two Viper guys whose most useful asset is a poisonous bite. I had literally no wood to start with. Literally. My wagon got glitched out because it spawned on the slopes of the cave, rather than on top of it. No seeds whatsoever. The only ones available at embark were never-heard-that stuff like carrots and green cabbages. My life would have been a lot easier if I had brought any seed to make booze to turn into fuel, and brought some wood logs with me. I started by slaughtering many Cave Beetles and blobs, then sealed the entrance of the cave off with a floor and sealed ourselves in with a moat. I set up a butchery, a kitchen (to compress food) and a tanner. Look at all that chitin, without logs for a Chitin Scrapper (curse you, kobold tent logic!) I can't make any use of it. The moat proved its usefullness when a bunch of thieving lanky grey lanches got sealed in and took away some meals. I just stationed my military at the only exit, the bridge, and if you zoom very closely at the butchery stockpile you can see the results. What I am really worried about is the lack of a well. I've dug out a channel to the aquifer, but out of my moat. I don't want any hole in the ground in my camp, it's ugly (later I'll use said aquifer tile to pump water into the moat, hoping it doesn't freeze). You see that one ramp in the north that leads out of the moat? It's the shortest way to the drinking hole.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2013, 01:57:50 am »

It's not exactly current, (The fortess was overrun by a water dragon about a year after this screenshot was taken.) but I have found my single favorite orc in the entire game.

I noticed him just as I was starting on my moat, having spotted the pair of Rancor corpses up north there surrounded with their dislodged teeth scattered a little further west. He was just merrily beating the poor thing to near-death despite technically being a civilian. I checked his thoughts: he was estatic, he had taken joy in a slaughter lately, he didn't really care about anything anymore, he had no friends, family or anything more than the six other orcs he had embarked with. Oh, and he was really thirsty and hungry, having decided his hobby was more important than eating. Being the concerned overlord that I was, I made him Warchief and commanded the others to help him kill the tyhing so he could get some food in his belly. After it died, he suddenly became very unhappy, having been "upset about being discharged from duty" or something like that.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2013, 02:38:23 am »

I decided to try out the expeditions, so I make a couple of gear kits and send someone to raid the frost giants. Nothing happens. Try it a couple more times. Nothing happens. So I shrug and try it a couple hundred more times. A month or so passes, and a squad of frost giants show up. Well it's better than nothing, they go sailing off in an arc, and as my guys are heading back for some post slaughter booze: S-S-Siege, Siegey Siege-Siege. Well... I guess we will be paying the iron price for all that bifrost.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2013, 04:47:02 am »

Just read a topic about an ogre mayor. I must have oneee! Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to make ogres natural haulers (and perphaps mason, if you want them to build walls), with their muscles they'd be a great help in carrying stones around. So, I added "[NATURAL_SKILL:MASON:1]" along the combat skills on the raws folder of my save, but my ogress didn't seem to have the skill yet. I have no idea on what to do to make them stone haulers, thought.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 04:48:55 am by Apani »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 113