Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192186 times)

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #780 on: February 16, 2014, 06:11:50 pm »

Not sure if i should bother with the Manticore stuff, can Orcs even use Crossbows?

I think manticore bolts release some sort of toxic gas or acid when they get stuck inside something, you'd have to import crossbows though.  I'd say just trade them, theyre usually worth a lot of orcbux
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 16, 2014, 07:25:09 pm »

Yeah, two of the stacks are worth 1.5k, the other is well crafted, so its 3k. Not bad at all. I feel like these things could murder a few Elven ambushes, but i guess ill just sell em.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #782 on: February 16, 2014, 08:14:45 pm »

Be carefull with them, I remember reports that when carried in bare hands, without container, gloves or quiver, they can also trigger that gas cloud. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 16, 2014, 10:31:45 pm »

Conditions in the Dungeon have stabilized now that I've stopped trying to bury the ghouls and set up cage traps around the corpse stockpiles; constant reanimations have necessitated that I fill my catacombs with cages rather than coffins- so it's more of a zombie-zoo than it is a Cemetery. Needless to say, tombs are now quite useless and mostly used to calm the nobles.

At least it's easy to train, I've already got 3 legendary fighters from putting down slobbering zombie-heads over and over again, they each have over a dozen kills listed.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 16, 2014, 10:35:41 pm »

Still on my map with the Vamp Lord in the shrine to the south, and he is still alive (i cheated, and used DFHACK tiletypes to wall his ass in.

I just got a migration wave, with waht i think might be the perfect dwarf to fight him with.... a Paladin

Curse: a PALADIN by the name of *insert real name here*

buffs: Conjuror, Paladin, Berserker, ???, Vampcurse

I'm guessing the vampcurse in buffs is refering to the paladin "curse"

Question is, is this guy a good thing, and able to be removed from carpenters guild and made Legion, or do i need to arrange an "accident"?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #785 on: February 17, 2014, 05:21:34 am »

All special worldgen secrets are either learned or given by a "curse". Its the only word DF has for it, even if its a blessing like Druidism or a Paladin. He wont do you harm.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

sandant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 17, 2014, 01:48:07 pm »

Well my Orc fort has reached the level of boring stability that marks time for a switch to either warlocks or my plans for an all gun and trap wielding dwarf fort. I will be sad to leave my warchief behind though, he's a character straight out of a lord of the rings fan-fic. A Ronin sword lord who fights with a wolfram Zweihander one handed since he lost his other arm to a FB back when he was a scrub. Also one of my sergeants who was a miner in two of my previous Orc forts keeps migrating to my new ones after my old fort is abandoned. I guess he likes my leadership style.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 18, 2014, 02:31:53 am »

sadly, i think i need to arrange an unfortuanate accident for my paladin... He is a Paladin AND a vamp. Just found my cheif medic drained of blood (he was a starting dwarf, and friends with half my population) The joys of a near instantaneous tantrum spiral (followed by a ragequit as the tantrum spiral escalated to a loyalty cascade when my military got involved.) Total time from discovery of they body, to the death of the fortress, 3 minutes.

edit:
Went to legends viewer to check out the paladin...

In 47, midwinter, Oshgat became obsessed with it's own mortality and sought to extend it's life by any means.

In 49, midsummer, The Silvery Glimmers was claimed in Crabsinned by Oshgat.

In 49, midsummer, Oshgat learned (LIGHT_SECRET) from The Silvery Glimmers

In 53, late autumn, Oshgat linked (UNKNOWN) to the dwarf Gatin Saffronoceanic.

In 53, late autumn, Pinerain the Wet Lions was claimed in Crabsinned by Oshgat.

In 53, late autumn, Oshgat learned (FOOD_SECRET) from Pinerain the Wet Lions

In 54, early spring, Oshgat linked (UNKNOWN) to the dwarf Vudnis the Storms of Spiking.

In 54, early spring, Conflagrationquest was claimed in Crabsinned by Oshgat.

In 54, early spring, Oshgat learned (WAR_SECRET) from Conflagrationquest

In 55, early summer, Oshgat linked (UNKNOWN) to the dwarf Thabum the Excavation of Gems.

In 64, late summer, Bronzemines was claimed in Crabsinned by Oshgat.

In 64, late summer, Oshgat learned (GEOMANCY) from Bronzemines

In 67, early winter, Oshgat profaned (1) in Crabsinned.

In 67, early winter, the dwarf Anan the Mists of Night (DEITY_CURSE_VAMPIRE_12) on Oshgat.

In 72, late autumn, Oshgat aroused general suspicion at Crabsinned after a murder

In 72, late autumn, Oshgat became a UNKNOWN JOB in Crabsinned.

In 72, late autumn, Oshgat settled in in Seducerfolds.

In 73, Oshgat became a UNKNOWN JOB in Seducerfolds.

In 77, midspring, Oshgat settled in in Wiredanvils.

So in Summary, 4 sets of secrets AND vamp. If anyone has an idea of how i can use him without having to resort to an "unfortunate accident" please let me know... this dwarf is a badass.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:52:01 am by Tenderroast »

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 18, 2014, 02:58:18 am »

Give him a micro fort and maybe danger room him. Then lock the main fort and release him to fight sieges. I like to airlock vamps. Pit in stones, produce goods, vamp hauls good to stockpile in airlock, switch unlocked doors and normal dwarves haul stuff to normal fort.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 18, 2014, 04:29:45 am »

for now, he is a 1 dorf squad, wiht an armor stand, in a walled in room, told to train by himself

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 18, 2014, 05:44:46 am »

Isolation seems to be the only answer for vampires. They make great bookkeepers and managers but you don’t really need a bookkeeper after the first couple of seasons and any dwarf with a decent bedroom can do the manager thing.  Make him a miner with a ☼mithril battle pick☼ and he can explore the entire underground map if you’re not cheating with reveal.exe.  Just keep him away from the staircases and opened areas and enable masonry and architecture so he can wall off the inevitable intrusions.  Accidents can happen so I like to take a useless bachelor migrant and make two isolated vampires, guaranteeing an immortal fortress.  A “squad of one” can be badass but not sufficient so give him access to the surface from an isolated entrance with a hatch; he won’t feed on dwarves that are awake so he can engage with other squads up top as long as everyone else is in a civilian bunker.  There are ways in Masterwork to upskill agility so he can carry a battlepick in one hand and a longsword in the other, no need for a shield or switching out weapons.

Keep in mind that no one has ever written up a successful Masterwork Vampire fortress so that’s always an option for when the boredom kicks in.  Each time I’ve tried, they eventually went insane.  Maybe with the stables and a few animals underground … Airlocks could let dorfs come by now and again to drop off bales of hay.  Hmm, I think I’ll try that next opportunity.  Maybe it’s necessary to have a “mini-fortress” for migrants as a renewable food source?  Oh, should have cross-posted this in the Discussion thread --
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 18, 2014, 01:22:22 pm »

i wish i could get another vamp, so i could put them in a 2 man squad

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 18, 2014, 01:30:37 pm »

Odd... I never ever had any vamp in either DF or MWDF outside of my little warlock testfort...
And trust me... I played many many games ^^

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 18, 2014, 01:35:19 pm »

Do you have it red-exxed in the GUI at world gen?  Darn, should have posted this reply in Discussion, too --
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 26, 2014, 02:26:58 am »

Started a lovely Fort. Even had a Stonemancer at Embark. Uncovered some relics, got my Mancer a full set of iron from it, and even a megabeast soul. Had him use the soul to power up, gave him a steel battleaxe and coated it in several poisons. Sent him to play with a Goblin ambush. He pretty much did what i expected. Slicing off limbs with every other hit, spraying dust at the Goblins with his strange spells. He was a whirlwind of destruction until he came face to face with a Goblin Lasher. Who killed my awesome Stonemancer in two lashes.

Dammit.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 113