Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192126 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #750 on: February 12, 2014, 06:02:25 am »

Oh wow, I don't think I'd seen them pre-masterwork. Also my skilled use of ragequit and reloading (:P) helped contain losses; only a woodworker and most of cavern 2 was set ablaze, no fighting. I'm kinda just waiting now until I can use the cavern again.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 12, 2014, 11:37:14 am »

I just lost my fortress to a caged FB.
I hade a couple of spiders guarding the entrance to the caverns so I accidently caged it in a webbed cagetrap. Suddenly a bunch of my dwarves was in the hospital unconsious and dying from suffocation or infection.
It seems the FB just kept infecting every dwarf that touched or got close to the cage with some kind of bloodswelling in EVERY bodypart. each one carried the cage 3 tiles and then went to the hospital and passed out never to wake up.

By the time I figured this out the fortress was lost. I woud have loved to try to weaponize that cage but its too late now :(

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #752 on: February 12, 2014, 12:51:26 pm »

I just lost my fortress to a caged FB.
I hade a couple of spiders guarding the entrance to the caverns so I accidently caged it in a webbed cagetrap. Suddenly a bunch of my dwarves was in the hospital unconsious and dying from suffocation or infection.
It seems the FB just kept infecting every dwarf that touched or got close to the cage with some kind of bloodswelling in EVERY bodypart. each one carried the cage 3 tiles and then went to the hospital and passed out never to wake up.

By the time I figured this out the fortress was lost. I woud have loved to try to weaponize that cage but its too late now :(
That post fills me with great sadness.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 12, 2014, 05:53:46 pm »

I honestly didnt even know that syndromes could be transferred from mobs in cages. That is rather annoying.

A little tale from my current Warlock Fort. I had not yet been ambushed or sieged, so in this age of peace i decided that i would put my now idle mining force to use. My Fort is built into a 1-tile high hill, so as usual i sent my Miners to remove all the ramps, leaving only 5-6 ramps so i could easily filter ambushes. I had not really sent anyone outside the fort for over a year, so it was a big operation for me. As soon as all my Miners reach the far left side of the map to start their mining... BOOM! Drow ambush! Atleast 10 Drow kitted in full Bloodsteel armor, each holding TWO "Bloodsteel Blade Shields". Oh the irony. I had spent all this time inside to avoid getting my minions killed, yet the second i set foot outside to better defend myself against ambushes, i get ambushed.

Now it wasnt too bad. Although my Miners were caught outside, my Fort was still defended by the super OP Cage Traps. I was not worried about the Drow getting into my Fort. However a few Drow split off from the main force and went for my Miners. OH god i was going to lose my Legendary Engraver! The first Drow charges the Engraver, however i am rather shocked by the combat logs. Every single attack the Drow throws is deflected. At least 3 pages of logs, and virtually no damage. Apparently wielding 2 shields is not very effective. My Engraver did not do much either, most attacks were deflected by the Bloodsteel armor, but a few hit home, no mortal wounds however. This turned out to be the only fight that took place, the other Drow had reached my Fort, got stuck in Cage Traps, and promptly retreated after 7 of their comrades got captured.

So, i now have 7 Drow captives, stripped of their equipment. 15 Bloodsteel Blade Shields in my Armor Stockpile(I assume another Drow dropped his during a fight), as well as a bunch of Bloodsteel armor helm and such. Any suggestions for disposing of my Drow prisoners? Something Warlocky? I was thinking of making a pit, putting some Cerberus in there, and dropping them in.

Oh, and the only wound? My Engravers "Little Toe, Right Foot" in my Corpse pile.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 12, 2014, 10:23:44 pm »

What did my poor fort do to deserve an invasion like this.  We just were sieged by 200 undead.  At the exact same time two drow ambushes spring, goblin ambushes, kobold ambushes, human ambushes spring.  They are all fighting eachother.  Also a necromancer ambush is raising "opposed to life" undead instead of invader undead.  So the undead are also fighting eachother.  There is magic bursts, fire, and death everywhere.  There are apparently some demon dogs in the mix too.  Good thing my one legendary ranged dwarf only has bone ax heads left.  Not very effective against undead outside the walls.  I've sealed myself in.

Also this fort has gotten a ton of kobold ambushes all wearing really high level steel or better gear.  When I looked at the worlds information all races are less than 10,000 members, while kobolds were over 100,000.  I guess some kobold way back when must have gone legendary and led it's people to dominance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 12, 2014, 10:30:07 pm »

Also this fort has gotten a ton of kobold ambushes all wearing really high level steel or better gear.  When I looked at the worlds information all races are less than 10,000 members, while kobolds were over 100,000.  I guess some kobold way back when must have gone legendary and led it's people to dominance.

I for one, welcome our new kobold overlords.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: February 13, 2014, 05:55:48 am »

I honestly didnt even know that syndromes could be transferred from mobs in cages. That is rather annoying.

Maybe not from the cage itself, but if the beast breathed/was bleeding before getting caged and the cage was covered in the beast's blood/extract/etc? That would transfer it to anyone picking up the cage.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 13, 2014, 10:12:03 am »

Well, that's kinda creepy. Of course it's a quirk in the scripting, but still kinda creepy. I suddenly had a statue of my clan leader; the Olog Tugbuur Leaguefly getting appointed to his position. After some investigating I found out it came from a relic.

IT WAS FORETOLD.

Also he's wearing a lamellar leather shoe, a cloth shoe, a Xsilk shirtX and silk trousers. Raggedy enough to be a prophet. My Orcs had also earlier found a guardian of Armok, which is a neat lovely indeed.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #758 on: February 13, 2014, 10:20:07 am »

No, its clearly a bug. Toady One can make people crazed without problems, but if modders do that, it spells disaster. Its a bug that Toady has to fix, there is not much I can do about it, except maybe slapping OPPOSED TO LIFE on these effects as well. Floating brains should be vanilla DF though... or old genesis.

If I recall correctly, vanilla werewolves can also cause loyalty cascades.  Berserking dwarves don't, but that's because they never change back.

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 13, 2014, 10:33:09 am »

Maybe not from the cage itself, but if the beast breathed/was bleeding before getting caged and the cage was covered in the beast's blood/extract/etc? That would transfer it to anyone picking up the cage.

I dont know for sure but the FB was bursting some kind of smoke or fumes before it got caged and the same bursts kept coming from the cage the whole time. Off course it could also have been from blood on the cage.

It was too late to conduct any research or save the fort.

I have never seen or heard of anything like this before, but its awsome! be it vanilla or the mod.

sjohne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 13, 2014, 11:20:07 pm »

Dumb question... but what's an FB?  ???

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 14, 2014, 01:11:19 am »

Went to start a new fortress. Found the perfect spot, Untamed Wilds, Warm, Desert, Scarce trees / shrubbery. Sand, clay, dirt, peat. Set up my dwarves all nice and perfect... Embark!

Time for the cursory glance around the surface to see if there are any features. Hey whats this big grey square? huh... there is a dude in there *inspect dude* Vampire Lord..... this... isnt going to end well. I still havnt unpaused yet

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 14, 2014, 10:47:18 am »

Oh dear. Teach your Dwarves to make the sign of the cross.

Also my Orks seem to die. Just now a speaker/boworc was found quite dead and I don't know why, and like 20z's higher a wrestler is heavily wounded (frost bite all over including her lungs!) and can't breathe. And they apparently stopped putting bricks neatly aside when tearing out part of a floor, instead just dropping it like madmen. Dropping themselves at times.

Edit; Drow seem to have the intention of killing me. They brought a squad of war cougars, one of war jaguars, a claivemaster squad with an (elite) shadowsniper, a squad mounted on flies and bats and their high priestess has arrived with more shadowsnipers and shielddancers.

Edit2; my losses seem to have been basically all animals outside (except for my guardian of armok, I also seem to have gotten a second!), a handful of those bugged 'friendly' traders (and metalsmiths), a goblin caravan got rubbed out, a shaman/farmworker was murdered and Ama the boworc/one of three legendary leatherworks drowned in my moat along with two Drow.

Their losses were their high priestess (kicked in the brain by my warchief), three drow shielddancers, two claivemasters, 7 war cougars, 3 war jaguars,  7 giant roaches, 4 giant beetles, a giant toad, a boozebelly goat, a giant fly, a dromedaris and an ironclad horse.

Which means I won. :D Too bad the siege worked as a series of ambushes.

Asgashazguub stronk!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:09:50 pm by FrisianDude »

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 15, 2014, 12:47:28 pm »

I just got my first ever carp god cult encounter.  On my third migration wave.  Only had the hardcoded two waves before that.  Good thing I've finally started dedicating two dwarves to training military from day one and pumped out a full suit of copper armor for each.  I lost one legendary fighter but the ward of armok revealed the leader and five other acolytes he brought with him.  I'm impressed by my copper military.

However since I lost one a few dwarves are tantruming at the loss of their general and a frogman siege has come with me down to one soldier.  I've watched the frogmen with their copper spears and copper helm each tear through the guards of an elven caravan wielding mithril so I'm wary of fighting them head on.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 113