Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191888 times)

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2013, 03:26:09 am »

zone assign all race DWARF caged

never used that plugin before, do I just set it and next time an idiot dwarf gets themselves caught in a cage they get automatically dragged to the zone or does it need to be run every time?

you have to use it every time, it is the parent plugin for autobutcher and autonestbox.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2013, 10:15:12 am »

I’m working on a project to optimize FPS. (This post is too long, apologies in advance.)

In vanilla, it’s reported that the top three reasons for abandoning a fortress are
1) boredom
2) FPS death and
3) unexpected  !FUN!

I’m thinking with Masterwork: boredom, not so much.  There’s lots of neat stuff to figure out and Meph keeps uploading new versions with new stuff …  but FPS is the trade-off and particularly so since many of us play on limited laptops.  So I’ve been studying the FPS thing and while the Wiki pages are good, they maybe could be updated for MW.  This isn’t far enough along to post as statistically valid but so far, Flow>Pathfinding>Stuff to count>Temp variations/Weather.  If charted, Flow and Pathfinding would make up by far the largest slices of the pie.  [I should probably stop here.  :)]  What I’ve found so far:

Flow: MW takes care of most of the problem with Bloody Gems and magmabottles since there’s no longer any need for magma pumpstacks.  I’d just figured out a workaround for that in 4th quarter 2012 when I found Masterwork.  I may post it anyway on a vanilla thread.  If water is needed from a cavern (obsidian, greedily going for that last tile of adamantine), a Dwarven Reactor can be set temporarily and then later deconstructed but gravity-fed dumps with floodgates work w/o the single-digit FPS penalty.  A windmill on the surface will power a millstone so there’s no need for waterwheels (which do look impressive).

Pathfinding: For this, the Wiki pages are pretty good.  A 2x2 embark is only 25% the area of a 4x4 and probably the single “best” plan (the trade-off is adamantine).  Large open areas are best, hallways >2 wide.  Stairways of >2 the reasons being, that half-step diagonal when one dorf passes another is counted and no two dorfs travel at the same speed, especially when hauling.  Hauling jobs stack up and take precedence over everything else so multiple, close, dedicated stockpiles with plenty of wheelbarrows is the way to go.  With bins.  A Borg-like cube fortress is the best layout.  Non-restricted animals should be limited to a few vermin catchers.  Pots trump barrels, by a lot.  Potash is very valuable.  Unimportant areas can be zone restricted.  Then, it’s how many dwarves to you really want?  140 is minimum for MountainHome.  Breaching caverns should be delayed until the fortress is stable with a competent military since there will be more Stuff, more Pathfinding and more importantly, guaranteed sieges from large numbers of Antmen and such (and really, after the first learning fortress nobody plays with Invaders Off, do they?)

Stuff: not all stuff is the same for the counting algorithm.  Trading away pretty much everything not needed is a good idea and something to do with Elves.  Stuff in quantum stockpiles (TradeDepot, slag/garbage pits) doesn’t seem to count as much as stuff lying about or in standard stockpiles.  When a caravan is sighted, it’s an opportunity to scour the surface for single bolts, teeth and parts – also easier on a 2x2 embark.  Teeth and parts can be stockpiled next to a craftsdwarve’s workshop and consumed in useless decorations easier than trading.

Weather/Temp: since so many of the interesting things in MW are dependent upon Weather On, I’ve never played with it off.  Wiki pages talk a lot about temperature variations but it’s insignificant.  Even with an unexpected magma release (Banners of Heart succession game), the FPS hit only lasts two weeks of gametime, then it’s stable again (evaporation has no effect). 

I've had a handful of thieves and kidnappers show up but surprisingly they were all fought off with the two tuskoxen that showed up with my embarkers. I'll need to keep those in mind for future fortresses.

:) Without a Danger Room, I look forward to the day my dorfs are soldiers equal to the TuskOxen. 

Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2013, 04:03:42 am »

*lol* Just got an artifact called Rotik, "The Auburn Nettles", a orichalcum dragonshaped helm

"This is a orichalcum dragonshaped helm.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  This object menaces with spikes of green jade. 
On the item is an  image of The Auburn Nettles the orichalcum dragonshaped helm in orichalcum. 
On the item is an  image of two puzzle trees in moonstone.
"
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2013, 12:29:27 pm »

Got a Dwarf Farmworker Geomancer arrive in a migrant wave then my starting mason was found drained of blood.
Turns out the Geomancer is also a vampire.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2013, 12:49:52 pm »

The Queen of my dwarf civ is a Geomancer as well, not sure how I am going to weaponize them once they show up. Not quite there yet anyways, still need to finish the path down 30~ z levels for any invaders that make it past the 10 or so dodge traps I'm going to have and finish my mole drop so my military become the hardened killers of all to come.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2013, 09:29:35 pm »

Discovered you can butcher dwarves you've made prisoners.

My butcher/chef was recently imprisoned and beaten for violating an export order. I like to imagine that's why he butchered the queen and put her heart on a pedestal in the dining hall.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2013, 12:38:46 am »

Discovered you can butcher dwarves you've made prisoners.

My butcher/chef was recently imprisoned and beaten for violating an export order. I like to imagine that's why he butchered the queen and put her heart on a pedestal in the dining hall.
O_o

Yessssssss...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2013, 01:29:08 am »

God damn it, I hoped it would be some time till people found out. ^^

Works on Bards singing a Song, Dwarf holding a Speech, Dwarf in Guild Training, Dwarf in Military Training, Apprentice of the MagesGuild.... all the workshops that have a dwarf standing immobile on top of it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2013, 06:09:27 am »

a sick dwarf appeard in a migrant wave

i thought it wouldn be a such great threat so i locked him in after he infected some of my dorf and killed him

well... 3 years later 80% of the population is still partially blind - they don't infect others but neither do heal^^

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2013, 08:08:56 am »

One of the plants you can buy makes potions that will cure that. The youth ones I think it is. Though how you are supposed to selectively administer it, I dunno. Maybe you can boil it in the dining hall or something.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2013, 10:31:43 am »

One of the plants you can buy makes potions that will cure that. The youth ones I think it is. Though how you are supposed to selectively administer it, I dunno. Maybe you can boil it in the dining hall or something.

Ideally a dwarf with the diagnose skill enabled would "prescribe" the appropriate potion but I don't know if it works that way.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2013, 10:47:54 am »

Ehm... no.

Youth Potions add NO_AGING, meaning no death from old age. And any doctors that give mediactions... well, thats not in the game and cant be modded that easily. Atm diseases are very rare, and if you happen to get one: Deal with it. 8) 80% of your fort is now almost blind and will probably stay like this.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2013, 10:54:24 am »

But if you were all little beardless kobolds, you could just smoke spiritwalk it off, couldn't you?
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2013, 06:03:27 pm »

A few forts back my first migrant wave brought a sleeping disease in while I was still only working out of a single communal area with no real way to isolate the dwarf before he had infected everyone and the merchants that were on the Depot. I chuckled as the next few seasons went by with no more than 2-3 of the 18 dwarves I had awake at any one time, and most sleeping indefinitely.

Needless to say, that fort didn't go much longer.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2013, 06:15:45 pm »

Well, I hope the diseases are rare enough not to be a total nuisance, otherwise please tell me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 113