Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192104 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #735 on: February 04, 2014, 04:00:59 pm »

My dwarfs have all taken to butchering and eating goblin and human corpses, both in my fort and in worldgen.  I assume its an unavoidable side affect of the warlocks being released? 

Lucked out and embarked with both a healer mage and an apostle. Playing a 0 pop cap game using townportal to raise my population and the legendary praying high priest to provide all the gold we need.  Unfortunately between resurrections and summoning new citizens only about  half of my population can be in the military or be nobles at this point.  (also summoning marksmen from the town portal has so far resulted in only sending me arcane dwarves... more fire mages I guess :p  )
Sounds suspiciously like Cathedrals current situation.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 05, 2014, 09:08:27 am »

I decided to turn on some of the fortress defense races, as I felt I was lacking in sieges. So far, my livestock's been making themselves seem like better candidates for the military than the dwarves. Mountain tuskoxes are cool!
as are pekyts, man. Plus all the lovely big dogs/cats/colossus elephants/giant spiders. Not to mention the drakes, oh man. My tamed forest spider hatched <3

Anyway, last summer the human diplomat got himself 2x4'd because the jackass left through the caverns. Marbled Angiswærds disagreed with his choice of route. I avenged him five minutes later, but the humans decided to siege me anyway. An imperial hammerguard on a giant eagle and a few handfuls of imperial swordsguards.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My losses in that fight (not counting those who died of wounds, might still happen); a marksdwarf charging in, two pet drakes, a stray baby drake and an animated ironbone pitchfork.

Also, my MCom is starting to scare even me.

I love this game.

Edit; the deity Usgosh has come. Information of his arrival scared me but lo and behold;
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:31:30 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Sound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 06, 2014, 07:42:31 am »

The dwarven fort "Hightemples" got its first artifact. A jeweler got a mood and produced..... an.... Old chest coffer. I like to think he just dug out the old chest, brushed off some dirt and claimed it as the product of his work.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 06, 2014, 04:04:40 pm »

So I'm just doing a few test embarks, fooling around with various things... Struck a blood of armok on day3, 2 zlevel below he surface...  lol
Usually I'm searching those forever

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 07, 2014, 03:43:19 pm »

The goblins have succeeded in turning the elves against the dwarven metropolis of Bespokegeared, ambushing and killing an even diplomat. And I was worried about finding enough mithril for my archer squads.

My Guardian of Armok is now playing lawn bowling with a trio of hedgehog people. Best throw so far is twelve squares!

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 08, 2014, 05:14:01 pm »

Was about to embark and play a "last of the dwarves" scenario next to a necromancers tower, upon closer examination i noticed that the necromancers tower was "no trade". Inspection using legends viewer told me that the necromancer that built the tower was the former queen of my civ.

Set up shop near friendly necromancers tower, i wonder how that will turn out.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Holy killlists, Urist!
« Reply #741 on: February 08, 2014, 05:21:27 pm »

Observe this new migrant I received:

Of course, with a few notable exceptions, slayers of megabeasts and semi-megabeasts, particularly during worldgen, tend to just be lucky schmucks who get really good damage rolls. However, I've never seen such a disproportionately unskilled dwarf acquire such illustrious kills of unique/named creatures while having no other apparent combat experience to speak of. Anyone else seen such lucky dwarves in their fort?
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 09, 2014, 07:16:30 am »

Oh wow, lucky bugger.

Also I started a new fortress. Kobolds but I didn't get a shovel and didn't feel like it. New. Warlocks. Crashed when I unpauzed. Hum. Then an ork one. Badlands. A bit badder than I thouhgt; sandstorms, no trees. I butchered one bull to use the bones for beds. Rest of my animals and my clan leader were murdered by giant desert scorpions. Nice, nice start. Great.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 09, 2014, 02:58:23 pm »

In my current warlock fort, I've got a 5 ghoul squad of lashers set up with bone armor and weapons. I set them to train in one of the higher levels of the tower. They're all master lashers after 3 seasons. But they also keep dodging down the stairs and falling. A lot. Half of their sparring time was spent falling down stairs. Let this be a warning about stairs to those who would have otherwise used towers as barracks. Also Ghouls train up really fast.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 09, 2014, 05:40:07 pm »

In my current warlock fort, I've got a 5 ghoul squad of lashers set up with bone armor and weapons. I set them to train in one of the higher levels of the tower. They're all master lashers after 3 seasons. But they also keep dodging down the stairs and falling. A lot. Half of their sparring time was spent falling down stairs. Let this be a warning about stairs to those who would have otherwise used towers as barracks. Also Ghouls train up really fast.

I can only imagine what that would be like to see.  Just three seasons of horrifying ghouls tangled up in whips rolling down stairs roaring.  Occasionally stopping to eat some meat.

Since seeing the above ground fort challenge thread and how bad ass my dwarf became from two man squad training I've begun doing that myself.  Finally after about five seasons I have a few fighters legendary in most things.  I would always do large squads before and even have three years or more of training they would all be extremely weak.  While the two man squads might feel a bit OP at least I don't have to resort to danger rooms anymore.  It's more believable to me that two legion dwarves training every day all day for five seasons would become extremely good at fighting than a few days of standing in a death pit of wood spikes.

This last season I watched the two of them single handledly take out about fifty undead that a necromancer "ambush" had been raising in my fields.  Unfortunately I didn't find the necromancer so he's continued to raise the body parts.  Now I have a few hundred undead out there from body parts and I won't be sending my legendary swords dwarves against undead made of a single body part.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 10, 2014, 10:54:39 am »

Are floating brains SUPPOSED to make my orcs berserk and murder each other? Because that's a dangerous ability.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 10, 2014, 12:56:08 pm »

Finally trying out masterwork. This is my third attempted orc fort.
Scorching savanna with a nice lake so there's at least water.
The goblins in my first orc fort brought semi-interesting animals like cragtooth boars but in the current one they seem limited to soul wisps.
I figured, what the hey and bought a few of the wisps. Turns out they're pretty awesome.

First time I saw them in action was when a drow ambush showed up right at my doorstep. They engaged the animals there (a mastiff, some wisps and an animated ironbone bonesaw) and started fighting. All of a sudden there were a few bangs and I see Drow in pain and with wounds. How did that happen? Eventually we slaughtered the drow (desperate sally with melee-orcs) and continued with the fort.

We bought new wisps from the goblins.

Yet another season (or two later), a new goblin caravan shows up. This one passes through a field where I keep my wisps (to ensure that my other depot-guarding beasts aren't caught in the blast.
A kobold shows up, spotted by the caravan.
The wisps explode at it. (I still haven't figured out if they explode or cast magic) Kobold is destroyed but so are two goblin merchants and a wagon. Oopsie.

While I'm still dealing with the orc caravan (late autumn, two caravans at once) I notice the goblin caravan doesn't take the last few steps to the depot. Apparently the blast killed their leader or something silly like that. They had more wisps I was interested in buying but oh well.

Eventually both the Orc and Goblin caravans make to leave. But then a steppe eagle flies over my fort. One of my Oracle-orcs can't tolerate this and zaps it with his fiery mindpowers, invoking the fury of the sun. The eagle seems to ignore this and flies on. However, it now comes in wisp territory. The wounded Eagle is caught in bursts and clouds of lost thoughts as well as several clouds of fire.

I don't know whether the magic-wielding orc or the wisp caused it, but there's no a burning steppe eagle crashing groundwards.

And did I mention it was a scorching savanna?  The grass was very dry.
You can see the depot in the centre-bottom with orcs on top of it and goblins slightly to the north of it and there's a goblin to the (left) side as well. The two "totems" are deceased centaurs who burnt to a crisp inside their cages.

And well, here's the aftermath:

Spoiler: Entrance (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: inside (click to show/hide)

Tragically, the entire goblin caravan has been wiped out and several of my orcs (I count at least 6 in the deceased/missing screen) have been toasted as well.

On the upside, I have 9 new wisps from the goblin caravan! These things are hilariously awesome!

I'll need to try and soothe the emotions here. Lots of miserable or otherwise unhappy orcs and I'd rather avoid a tantrum spiral. (there's already at least one tantruming sergeant.)
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 11, 2014, 02:20:43 pm »

Rendermax fortress night fight with exploding bolts against a deep crow. Who says DF doesn't have good graphics? That looked AWESOME!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 11, 2014, 04:02:14 pm »

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THOSE FLOATING BRAINS

They turned a woodworker into a pet/livestock. And on fire. Another they berserked and when that berserker had to be killed my military orks attacked each other (and each other's babies; one of my boworcs had a baby with her).

I'm having trouble accepting loyalty cascades as a feature.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #749 on: February 11, 2014, 04:07:06 pm »

No, its clearly a bug. Toady One can make people crazed without problems, but if modders do that, it spells disaster. Its a bug that Toady has to fix, there is not much I can do about it, except maybe slapping OPPOSED TO LIFE on these effects as well. Floating brains should be vanilla DF though... or old genesis.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 113