Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192059 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #705 on: January 25, 2014, 05:59:22 pm »

Somehow, while the rest of my military was fending off another antman siege down in the first cavern level, two newly recruited crossbow dwarves decided to re-equip from some dropped ammo out near the edge of the wilderness, and run into a corrupted spellcaster saboteur, at short range and with no ammo left. They take the jerk out, but one gets the rot, and the other gets hit with enough acid to bleed to death. The dwarf carrying his corpse runs into my new lifemancer on the way in, and I am treated to the announcement, "Thob Astisangzak Living Proof For Miracles Wrestler has transformed into a marksman dwarf!"

Sweet.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 25, 2014, 06:47:03 pm »

The Dwarf Reading From A Scientific Journal Farmer reads parts of a scientific journal on steam-pressure, magma temperature fluctuations and the use of mermaid bones *+50 ANALYTICAL ABILITY/MEMORY*!
The Archer Trainee hears the newest discoveries of dwarven science *+50 ANALYTICAL ABILITY/MEMORY*!
The Archer Trainee stands up.

Science kicks you on your ass, just like it should.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 25, 2014, 07:14:32 pm »

I keep getting invasions of goblins with literally 100+ goblins, and then freezers invade and they send like, 5 guys.  Is their civ just getting their ass kicked in world gen or something?
\

I think that in a battle between the two sieges the freezers would win. Seriously, frost giants have bifrost skin which makes them pretty much impervious to normal weapons. I remember playing adventure mode as a legion dwarf with a steel axe and having 2 pages of bouncing off their skin.

I guess.  Maybe it's too easy, but I always have mithril weapons by the time I see Freezers and they're pretty easily dispatched.

edit: wait no way, I guarantee the goblin sieges with drowspiders would annihilate giants

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 26, 2014, 05:50:11 am »

The fortress Hammerflags avoided tragedy today. During construction of the hospital well, two miners were given orders to channel out the stairs that were made during well shaft construction. However, rather than stand on the set of steps above, they stood on the steps to be removed, resulting in first miner Uzol, who's cries for help went unheard during the chaos of a white tigerman attack, and then Tulon, who was heard splashing into the cavern lake when he ripped the next set out. Igbit Bridgeddoused was sent and he quickly rescued his co-workers, who floundered into the stairwell. Uzol had nearly starved to death but Igbit managed to prevent what would have been a terrible blow to fortress morale, as Uzol is a good friend to all of his fellow founders and several of the earliest immigrants.

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 26, 2014, 06:04:56 am »

I thought i should share what i will be doing today  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq7DDk8eLs8

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 26, 2014, 07:35:11 am »

I'm getting rid of massive amounts of trade, and working on a massive cage trap network in order to build a giant free for all deep underground.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 26, 2014, 01:48:30 pm »

Apparently I made a 'smaller' map with only taiga orcs left as playable race. :o The next one after that too, and then my laptop went tits up.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 02:29:09 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 29, 2014, 05:25:48 am »

So just got sieged by rival wizards only to watch them blow themselves up with their own AOE attacks on 2 orc merchants.
also we end up with a bunch of angry ant people sitting in our basement.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 29, 2014, 10:21:21 am »

AoE attacks?

Also a scizo-masonsguild-peasant went bananas. By the looks of, Zomslaz the mountain tuskox bull killed her. And then a war shaggy badgerdog. And then my only mountain tuskox cow. And then chased my expedition leader around the map rather than be pasturized properly. Seeing as that looked suspiciously like a loyalty cascade I rage-quit.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 29, 2014, 06:19:18 pm »

Yeah, schizos seem to provokes loyalty cascades. I disabled diseases in order to not risk it.

Sound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 30, 2014, 05:19:47 am »

The dwarves of Doomtrench all apparently have little memory to speak of, horrible intuition, an absolute inability to focus, and no patience at all... Why this? Well, they, erhm, forgot to take about 500 points worth of stuff with them from the embark screen, so now they are close to starving, midway through the first summer. The batch of migrants that doubled their number didn't help the matter. All surface plants have been designated for picking, and all seeds are planted, but we'll get no yield from the helmets before the second spring. The two tuskoxes is our last resort, if we have to brew all the plants.

"Luckily" we embarked on a relativly flat volcano, so we have magma, clay and sand, and thus a means to buy out pretty much the entire caravan when it arrives. Our head potter, who, incidentally, is not named harry, and his three apprentices are already working on it.

Furthermore, the work of making accomodations and workspace is progressing somewhat slowly, due to excessive overseer "aetheticism". Lets build an above-ground fort he says. Oh, wait, lets DIG an above-ground fotrtress, he adds. We haven't even begun work on the trench/quarry that were supposed to be our namesake yet...

EDIT: Tragedy strikes in the still trenchless Doomtrench. Our hastily prepared earthwork defences was promptly ignored by a giant wasp worker, which proceeded to kill two of my beards before a third one remembered that picking up the axe i assigned her was a good idea, if one wanted to survive. We now number 17. The fallen were given hasty, improvised, but still proper dwarven funerals, being interred in stone coffins that afterwards were submerged in magma.

With the ground picked bare, and all animals slaughtered, we should be able to last till winter. We even have named soap, thanks to the butchering of the previously mentioned wasp, which was named for its accomplishments.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:36:20 am by Sound »

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 30, 2014, 05:48:12 am »

have fun with your inflated fortress value triggering a lot of visitors ^^
But above ground fortresses are fun :D (especially once you declare war on everyone... see my last update, lol)

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 30, 2014, 09:21:41 am »

Made a very stupid mistakes in my fortress today. Had a lovely embark location. Nice place to build a fortress into a cliff, big river for fishing, some awesome Miners and best of all several layers of pure Marble for building. My Dining Hall and Bedrooms were all pure Marble and Gem walls. It was beautiful. Due to two Artifact items, i had a large spike in migrants, more than doubling my population. One was a suspected Vampire even!

My first mistake was attempting to tidy up the cliff my fort was build into. I tried to collapse some dirt to make a nice open area for some Silkworm Hives, only to mess up and break the legs of my two Mason Guild Miners. My second mistake was far, far worse. A Human caravan arrived. It was a welcome sight as i needed the food to feed my Dwarves(The sudden spike in population had me worried about my food stores). However not long after the Humans arrived, a Goblin ambush showed up. Ok no problem, i can handle this! I try to call my Dwarves inside, however two Fisherdwarves didnt make it in time. Acceptable losses. I then realised i had a fatal design flaw in my Fortress walls. My Bridge... i forgot to set it correctly! It retracted instead of raised! The Humans had some Guards and Riflemen, but they did not last long. The Goblins made it into my Fortress, killing all in their path. My last hope, the suspected Vampire was drafted into a squad. I have heard tales that Vampires are very strong fighters, so surely this guy could handle a few Goblins, right? He wasnt a Vampire it turns out. The Goblins murder everyone.

Well live and learn. I am still fairly new to DF when it comes to setting up a Military and Fort Defense, but it was a fun experience i guess.

Cotr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 30, 2014, 09:56:40 am »

Slow progress in my orc fortress. Mostly because the embark location had no enemy contact and I forgot to check -_-
But a few minutes ago a frost giant came by to say hello, commenced to turn onto a were-lizard and started to beat up my dogs!

I summoned my half-equiped squad, but before they got there he changed back into a frost giant.
We killed a frost giant with a handful of clubs and iron bone swords... Are orcs just amazing superbadasses or somethin? I thought frost giant skin was supposed to stop most attacks.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 30, 2014, 02:18:43 pm »

Slow progress in my orc fortress. Mostly because the embark location had no enemy contact and I forgot to check -_-
But a few minutes ago a frost giant came by to say hello, commenced to turn onto a were-lizard and started to beat up my dogs!

I summoned my half-equiped squad, but before they got there he changed back into a frost giant.
We killed a frost giant with a handful of clubs and iron bone swords... Are orcs just amazing superbadasses or somethin? I thought frost giant skin was supposed to stop most attacks.

Well Orcs are very superbasass.  But maybe you ran into a frost giant thief/scout?  A frost giant world-ender is a whole different fight.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 113