Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192031 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #660 on: January 13, 2014, 01:19:25 pm »

A white tigerman siege came a knocking led by the civ's general, and I'm not sure if they're astoundingly stupid even by DF standards or the ballsiest mother fuckers ever, but they cam in riding boozebelly goats. No matter which it is, I'm counting my blessings as about half way through the siege three of my soldiers decided that the middle of a battle was the perfect time to take a nap and since they couldn't path to their beds, just crashed out in the middle of the battlefield.

Mercifully, the boozebelly mounts are complete cowards, which is probably what saved all their lives, and the only noncowardly mounts in the attack were already dead with their owners and the general, due to a severe case of "crushed head" syndrome. The tigermen however instead died of "Lungs-crushed-with-hammer-or-mace" syndrome. I have also found Tigermen are large enough that helmets make it next to impossible to score a quick kill even with wolfram hammers, so to simply save myself the headache of watching my men waste time on an incapacitated target, I now have to remember to autodump all helmets off of white tigermen. I'd train some swordsmen to deal with such things, but I'm still pants-shittingly terrified of necromancers.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 13, 2014, 02:04:23 pm »

Human caravan shows up. Dwarves start helping themselves to the cloth and thread on the wagons to fill the hospital as the merchants are moving towards the depot.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 14, 2014, 01:16:22 am »

I'll spoiler some parts of this in case you don't want to know about surprises lurking in MWDF.

So I just started a fort.  My own personal MW fort after a lot of community games.  Such fun was to be mine.  I found a nearly perfect embark.  I had the central stairs started, and I began work on a tunnel to go up into the cliff-side, to prepare for the future bastion and bridge.  I named my only named dwarf after myself, out of the starting seven.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some quick thinking and luck later, my bastion tunnel is walled off for now, with no deaths.  I know the mod has ways to deal with this, but so much for laying the interior groundwork of the bastion.  Although I know how to solve this problem, I am thinking of trying to confront it head on.  Anyone actually dealt with this by trying to solve the problem with iron?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #663 on: January 14, 2014, 03:53:20 am »

If you attack them, your fort will die. No chance.

Build a temple.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 14, 2014, 08:51:44 am »

Human caravan shows up. Dwarves start helping themselves to the cloth and thread on the wagons to fill the hospital as the merchants are moving towards the depot.
Had that happen too, I just forbade the human gear and we luckily avoided war. In my orc forts so far caravans have been mighty bugged, though I could usually work with it. Only this time There were five caravans at the same time, but only the Ashlanders actually put everything on depot, so when I had what I wanted off them I insulted them (:P) in the hopes I could trade with the gobbos, Frost Giants, Human Bandits or the Chaos Dwarfs, but they took far too long to leave, so I ended up only trading with those Elves and the Dwarfs. I just want to trade with the sweet giants ONCE.  :'(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 14, 2014, 10:56:59 am »

The drows decided to send our glorious orc fort a present during the winter. About 90 ambushers, which is almost like a full blown siege. The only casualty on our side was a bola thrower. Out of our entire 5-orc melee squad, only the 2 swordsorcs didn't get some kind of injury. The other 3 orcs got pretty bad arm injuries. That including our axelord and warchief, but the chief can still use both his arms.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #666 on: January 14, 2014, 11:01:48 am »

About 90 ambushers, which is almost like a full blown siege.
Drow sieges arrive invisible. It was most likely a siege.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 14, 2014, 11:08:58 am »

About 90 ambushers, which is almost like a full blown siege.
Drow sieges arrive invisible. It was most likely a siege.
Do those have the "An ambush! Curse them!" message and lots of "squads"?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #668 on: January 14, 2014, 11:34:20 am »

Yep.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 14, 2014, 11:40:28 am »

Oh, good. My first siege after not playing DF for a while and I fought it off with only like 9 orcs.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 18, 2014, 06:06:18 am »

Well, the Drow sent another siege. But this time there weren't just 90 of them, oh no, there were literally hundreds. This time I had more military, but half of those died. The civilians didn't understand how to NOT run outside the burrow. Many orcs died, but eventually we were victorious. The axelord is the new warchief.

EDIT: Nevermind, he died from old age. The remaining swordmaster is the new warchief.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:56:59 am by jaxy15 »

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 18, 2014, 01:11:07 pm »

Had some bad luck starting a new fort, so I abandoned that and am doing a new new one. The third migrant to arrive has a pet warpstone landmine. Riiiight, that'll be a hoot.  ::) And I think the starters from the first attempt in this world went here as migrants, but am not entirely sure. Though three miners as I had then, each knowing the other as friend is a bit much of a coincidence. And I think I recognize a name.

First migrant this fortress had, probably from the previous one, Berim, got stunned for no reason in a mine. She was taken to hospital. Got out of rest to dig, still stunned, and has now been starving and dehydrating! I just channeled floor from under her; now she's slightly wounded, starving, dehydrated and stunned. Set to 'drink' but DYING. Either bugged or someone is a sadist.  :'( According to combat log she's regained conciousness about a thousand times
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:17:45 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 20, 2014, 10:21:11 pm »

My kobold fort just died to one drow lasher.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TLDR: Drow are BADASS
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 21, 2014, 05:42:40 am »

Aren't longswords way too large for kobolds, even 2handed?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 21, 2014, 02:17:24 pm »

Just got not one, but two guardians of armok from a relic. Haven't even passed a year yet. Guess I should be fine on military/megabeasts/invaders for the time being, as long as I keep dwarves behind them.

Though they'll probably get dead from the first goblin bow ambush.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 113