Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191839 times)

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #390 on: October 14, 2013, 06:15:39 am »

Decide to embark away from a volcano for once. Found a nice river with 2 feeder streams that make first a 2z waterfall then a 25z waterfall. The best part is that streams make a near perfect 2+z moat around the wagon in a peninsula, so I only have one small wall to build to close it off from thieves and snatchers. The central stairs will of course be behind the waterfall with fortifications to let in mist.

No surface magma and few trees means I'll need to rely on a blood of armok stone for once. Atleast I have peat if that goes wrong. Otherwise I have lots of iron and marble for steel. I am hoping to make golems which I've never done.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

DestroyX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 15, 2013, 01:35:44 am »

2x2 Embark with a very good position, an U shaped mountain, perfect to defend^^

I wanted to build a fast fortress (fps wise) with a strong focus on military (mostly to experiment with the different types of weapons, since i ignored hammers till now)

Everything went good, until the 4th migrant wave... several dwarves died... completely empty of blood.

So i looked for the vampire and found him, too.
Immedeately decided to build a well of unlife, which hasn't worked for me... until now.
Failure on my side was, that i wasnt using enough blood... the water only had spatter on it... now it said "a pool of uristmcsuckalot's blood"

Turns out he wasnt a generic vampire (turned em off, anyways, cause they are lame, but FTN still got minor vampires, which are basically the same)

He was a master vampire.
After most of my dwarves were infected, goblins ambushed the fort.
I wanted to test my newborn warriors... i sent my legendary, now bloodcraving hammerlord to fight them... the rest of the military had to watch.
He had to prove to be worthy.

About 20 goblins tried to shoot him down... nobody hit him.
Shortly before he reached him, more of them showed up, 2 lashersquads and another bowsquad.

He killed them. He killed them all.

A few lucky ones could run away... to tell their clans the horror of Angelfist (ironic... alot)

None of them showed up again until now, 4 years later.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #392 on: October 15, 2013, 02:18:03 am »

Have fun when he tantrums.  8)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DestroyX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 15, 2013, 02:38:24 am »

i'm not even sure if that would kill my fort^^ since they are all hardcore vampires now.

however, he is indeed skilled... artifact gold warhammer... full steal armor+padded rigid leather+stealmail... hmm.. maybe my dwarves really wouldnt like it^^

but things got alot funnier anyways xD

a summoner fiend attacked my fort... i sent only a few soldiers to him, since his touch gives them the secret of summoning (i modded the requirement of being mortal out, since its even more fun that way, oh, and modding in breeding vampires isnt smart, they kill their own children, because hey, i was thirsty)

the fiend hit none of the vampires... but a baby... xD (they only kill children, not babys, since they dont sleep)

so... i had this funny vampire with his now immortal baby running around in my fort, after the fiend was killed.

i can only imagine the joy and laughter of the baby, who proceeded to raise the corpses in my refuse stockpile, turning some of them into demons, and the rest into zombies, who ignorent my vampires and this baby, since they were all immortal and went everyone who was carrying a baby around... there is only one baby in this fort!

really, this kid is crazy.
too bad he'll probably never grows up, since he doesnt age.

still, that.... thing is just sick.
he killed 3 sieges now... after his servants defeated one, his father went out with him to collect the loot, and he just laughs his ass off, gestures and punishes the unworthy opponents to serve him in death.

I love this game.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 15, 2013, 09:15:39 am »

Grimelings ate my boars and goats.  And my marksman.

I've resolved to plan more carefully and conservatively, as I haven't made it to a siege since v3a3 due to FPS death.  I think I'm just making huge open areas and too much stuff - I'm going to avoid dozens of large 20x20 piles just to organize stuff, pack shops in logical groups together between just two main staircases, and seal up the dug-out veins to help with pathing.  I'm also going to not put construct bed/cabinet/coffer/door on endless repeat, forever :)

I'm currently trying to think of a way to continue digging without affecting everybody's pathing - setting traffic orders and selecting using locked doors seems a good idea ...

And no rivers this embark :)

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 15, 2013, 04:14:31 pm »

As a quick update, note that sealing off those veins and currently-unused-exploratory-corridors with walls and locked doors has a big impact on FPS - at 20 dwarves after a year on "fastdwarf 1 0" (for testing), FPS was 120-130 - after sealing and marking traffic orders, it went back to 150 and stayed there.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 16, 2013, 11:25:07 am »

Founded a new fortress site with my Vampire Mage/Necromancer/Lich adventurer, he doesn't get any migrants to aid him though for some reason, they must be affraid of him.
 On the plus side though he doesn't need food or sleep, so he can work non-stop on the fort :)
 6 years of continuous fastdwarf building and then he starts freaking out over clothing.
  All the things this dude has seen and done, and he nearly looses it over a pair of missing shoes!

Amagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 16, 2013, 11:36:37 am »

My dwarves are rotting one by one and I have no idea what's going on. Probably something to do with that bloody Secret FUN. Can anyone help me? :(

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 16, 2013, 01:36:20 pm »

Someone mentioned a type of warlock that leaves a trail or something similar which causes rot so that might be it. :x

A friend and I are about to start a co-op DF game using the term3 plugin. 14 dwarves, one of which is an arcane, another an accomplished marksman, plus a ton of animals and other supplies. He's going to focus on digging out the fort and workshops while I play shepard with the animals and set up the farms. Though I don't even know where he embarked so it could turn to !!fun!! rather quickly if it's savage and/or evil.

DestroyX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 16, 2013, 01:57:23 pm »

@amagic
necromancers, lichs and warlocks, thats your problem.

set secrets to 0, take the warlocks out until this overpowered spell is fixed and take the lichs out of the fear the night raw... or just deactivate fear the night completely to get rid of them.

i just hate it to lose my best soldiers to some random spells... its dumb.

oh, and they are all sneaking, so you dont see them until you get close... but its pointless to try to get them on open terrain because they got a higher viewrange than your soldiers, so they just run away and make your soldiers rot in the meantime...

and everyone who dies becomes a zombie of course.

no... i just take them all out.. this is dumb.
i prefer dwarfy, honorable fights over cheap and silly ones.

edit: maybe it is enough just not to embark near a necromancer tower... but i'm not entirely sure about that
however, you have to take the warlocks out... or erase the necromancing ones out of the raws anyways
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:00:42 pm by DestroyX »

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 16, 2013, 02:04:19 pm »

My archeologist is earning his dorfbucks - three The Destroyer Guardian of Armok, a whole sheaf of steel ballista arrows, mithril plate, and unknown material red marker for the kids to mark up those legendary engravings :)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 16, 2013, 05:19:56 pm »

beware the red marker.   ;D
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 16, 2013, 05:22:08 pm »

My archeologist is earning his dorfbucks - three The Destroyer Guardian of Armok, a whole sheaf of steel ballista arrows, mithril plate, and unknown material red marker for the kids to mark up those legendary engravings :)

Armok can help you in removing any 'graffiti' that marker creates.

DestroyX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 16, 2013, 06:04:38 pm »

the red marker is !!FUN!!

why dont you kill some animals outside and put them into your refuse stock? :D

Amagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 17, 2013, 08:27:09 am »

@amagic
necromancers, lichs and warlocks, thats your problem.

set secrets to 0, take the warlocks out until this overpowered spell is fixed and take the lichs out of the fear the night raw... or just deactivate fear the night completely to get rid of them.

i just hate it to lose my best soldiers to some random spells... its dumb.

oh, and they are all sneaking, so you dont see them until you get close... but its pointless to try to get them on open terrain because they got a higher viewrange than your soldiers, so they just run away and make your soldiers rot in the meantime...

and everyone who dies becomes a zombie of course.

no... i just take them all out.. this is dumb.
i prefer dwarfy, honorable fights over cheap and silly ones.

edit: maybe it is enough just not to embark near a necromancer tower... but i'm not entirely sure about that
however, you have to take the warlocks out... or erase the necromancing ones out of the raws anyways

Can I remove the spellcasting pussies without starting a new fortress?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 113