Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191852 times)

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #345 on: October 01, 2013, 04:22:47 pm »

I'd rather you kept it, myself. It's hardly gamebreaking, and I like kobolds! What did they bring to trade?

I've yet to ever even build the fire school. Fire mages are an accident waiting to happen. The ones who turn up as migrants (and children!) are dangerous enough. I don't think I'd want to make more of them!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:36:06 pm by Arkenor »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #346 on: October 01, 2013, 04:49:38 pm »

Oh, but they are quite powerful and rather safe if used underground.

Kobolds bring some lesser metals (ironbone, rusty iron, brass, copper), they had AN OGRE, YEAH!, some pets and poisons, and the usual stuff. food, cloth, leathers, tools...

Oh, and I managed to hire Antas Inanahobaba, Fisher Gremlin, from them. He is now sitting at my pool, looking for something to catch.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:58:34 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 01, 2013, 05:03:49 pm »

He'll actually fish? I've bought Waxmen who sounded like they might do useful work, but mostly they just hang around my statue garden, quietly plotting to become Mayor.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #348 on: October 01, 2013, 05:56:37 pm »

Oh yes, he is fishing.

My War Ogre punched an Efreet to death, but when 3 mummies showed up in the caverns I had to separate them and kill them with a swarm of wrestlers that pinned them down, and pasture the ogre on the next tile. I just found stable warpstone and a single Blood of Armok, so the timing was really bad.

By now 18 new migrants showed up, and doing regular fortress mainentance is distracting quite a bit. Already spring of the second year, no research in sight.

A Werezebra just ate one of the gnolls that try to steal from us, then transformed into a very skinny kobold, same civ as the traders...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:22:42 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 01, 2013, 06:25:43 pm »

Fisher gremlins are a good way to augment meat gathering without using a kobold place.

On the other hand kobkids are the best fishers and hunters. Man do they hunt. And by the time they mature they are already nasty with ranged weapons.

Maybe it's time to go back to kobs from dwarves with this update. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #350 on: October 01, 2013, 06:39:06 pm »

I am playing dwarves. :) But since they are all in one world now, the kobold-camp kobolds showed up with a caravan.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 01, 2013, 06:45:13 pm »

Did they bring jackrats? Considering how fast they make offspring I bet the dwarves would love having them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #352 on: October 01, 2013, 07:19:28 pm »

No jackrats, only as pack animals.

And a flying forgotten beast with a shell and poisonous dust visited, killed 75% of the fort, 2 caravans and guards, some pets, all weapons glanced away, the dust spam throws everything around... I managed to lure it onto the trade depot, the flying merchandise is what killed it. Its last dust attack shows 2 pages of combat reports of items hitting it... the flying mithril anvil to the head killed it finally.

It did kill the Ogre first, and the Fisher Gremlin is lying face down in its little pool... and 90% of the fort is either dead, insane or dying of thirst.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:35:16 pm by Meph »

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 01, 2013, 08:01:00 pm »

And that's why I hate FBs most of the time. You might get one that is acceptably difficult but not impossible to kill or one that destroys your fortress, dwarves and everything they love.

And then there's those times when they show up made out of announcement. :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #354 on: October 01, 2013, 08:16:25 pm »

And now imagine that they tunnel into your fort. :P

Btw, the fortress survived, got migrants, buried their dead, then I mass-unforbid all items in the fort... which lead to the formerly forbidden "glowing relic" to be restored by the archeologist, and all corpses were raised as Necromorphs, and I have no temple in sight... ehm, yeah... ~100 necromorphs inside the fort against 12 migrants and 6 kids. It wasnt pretty.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 02, 2013, 02:20:08 am »

I like the cutebolds trading since honestly a bold thief is nothing a few shaggy badgerdogs cannot handle. It's those Frost giant thieves you gotta watch out for to be honest, they can do some damage. It would be hilarious too if the bolds traded their entire caravan for that first pick. 8)

First time I've heard a mithril anvil being useful outside of getting melted.

FireySpy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 02, 2013, 04:37:45 am »

In one of my recent migrant waves, I got a lv3 Airmage who is.. a child. I thought i had struck gold.. Well, I suppose if I don't let him get kidnapped, its good enough.
Also, a forgotten beast which i had totally forgotten about in the caves was killed when some antmen sieged me. In any case, I got the caves sealed off so have fun starving yourselves!
Edit: Dang! I have no idea what just happened, so someone please explain. I got a forbidden beast or something attack me, got past my outer walls, and started burning my fortress surface. I was in a complete panic state, ordering my dwarves to stay in the fortress, sealing the gates, and it seemed inevitable that I would be destroyed. That is- until my Mountain Tustox Bull transforms into... a RED DRAGON?! I really have no idea what happened there. Anyway, this and that happened, for some reason the pyromancer who attacked me turned into a dwarf. Armok must be on my side..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, i have a red dragon at my command, tantrum spiral happening, my outer fortress burning, and a siege from the underground, plus another forbidden beast which appeared (different cave from the siege, sadly). Any suggestions what next to do?

Edit: Noo! The dragon transformed back! Must be my mages actually now that i think about it.

Edit:My skymage missing for a week. Noo!

Edit:2 sieges about 10 seconds apart both in the 2nd caves. This ought to be interesting. Siege VS siege VS Forgotten beast. Oh, the caravan arrived too.

Edit:Great. A goblin ambush which killed off pretty much all my animals. Wheres the dragon when you need it.. I think MDF is way too fast paced for me.

Edit:Yup. My important dwarves went berserk which makes continuing this fort no longer possible. Goodbye, HelmedHigh. Will probably reclaim.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:41:44 am by FireySpy »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 02, 2013, 05:12:28 am »

Just enabled the rendermax thing and I'm actually very impressed by it! Also like that it makes the dwarves seem like they're carrying their own small lights/lamps. I've actually enlarged my usual rooms to include the addition of fireplaces in all apartments.

Also managed to snag some golems, albeit inactive ones, thanks to the copious amounts of kaolinite we dug up and the massive amount of coal I brought. Porcelien fireplaces in every home, procelien tables and chaires in the dining hall for all!

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 02, 2013, 05:55:48 am »

After much dithering I picked my spot. A saltwater lakeside embark, 11 high, 7 across, with sandy desert in the north, a rather cold temperate grassland in the middle where I'll likely build, and some swamp in the south. It is terribly flat, so I'm not going to be able to do my usual tactic of building into a hill or mountain.

Stonesense's colours don't seem to work terribly well with Masterwork, but the stuff on the right is the lake, the pink stuff at the top is the sand, and the brown at the botton is the marsh. A profoundly flat land. I'll have to make sure I don't set it on fire. The other stream is under snow right now.

Two rivers flow into the lake, so I shall build between those, giving me some protection. Except when they're frozen, which may be a lot of the time. I'll be needing to do some serious castle building.

My starting seven are distinctly uninspiring with a craftsdwarf who hates crafting, and a healer who essentially hates everybody. The great exception is Soshosh Laluthmugshith of the Farming Guild, who is actually very well suited for farming. She'll get me the necessary head start I'll need with harder farming set. No standout leader or broker, so I'm not going to buy any skills and will let them elect their own leader until someone a bit less feeble turns up.

It's likely that flux will be plentiful in such an area, and hopefully fuel as well. Fishing will be an obvious source of food. I don't think I've ever done a lake or sea embark before, so I'm not too sure what sort of horrors will be lurking in there. All biomes are wild savagery, so I would imagine that fishmen will be a bit of a problem.

I'm bringing pairs of Drakes, Wooly Badgerdogs, Leatherwing Bats, Moleweasels, Cragtooth Boars, Changelings, and an Armok's Ward. The Cult of the Carp God will almost certainly be drawn to our seaside paradise, so that ward will be vital. A couple of extra picks, and a little emergency coal.

Turns out there's no dwarven word for "port" or "harbour". There is one for "mouth" though, which is appropriate as we have two rivers flowing in to the lake, and as I'm sure we'll have a most splendid tavern, I'm going to go with Stetnindum, Innmouth. It will be a fine home for the Emerald Scholars to make their new home. No Carp God worshippers allowed!

The only other folks on the map right now are a band of nymphs you can see on the map. I imagine they'll be coming this way to nick all my stuff. Problem with nymphs is that  your dwarves and beasts won't usually attack them, so I'll need to move everyone into a military squad to give them a proper welcome.

My seven dwarves spent about 5 minutes punching a single nymph to death. Not exactly a good use of time before we've even finished digging the first chamber to move the equipment into. It was good training though.

Edit:

Spring passed otherwise uneventfully. Some Ogres wandered around the south, and Giant peachfaced lovebirds and Giant Hamsters frolicked in the desert, but we were too busy getting the basics up and running. Some bedrooms, a crypt with adjacent butchershops, the underground farming area, and a mason/stonecrafting area are up and running.

Unlike my usual mountain embarks, I am blessed with many soil layers in the grassland biome. Clay, Fire Clay, Peat, and Sand. Maybe I should actually bother with pottery or glassmaking for once. I may need to, as my stone and metal situation is fairly dire.

Rubble. Many layers of rubble. Nasty useless disintegrating stuff. The chalk layers will come in useful eventually. Some some layers of jet. Jet is the lightest stone, and will make very nice pots. It is not magma safe though, and I rather like my walls to be able to handle magma. I'm going to need a LOT of walls. Eventually I found some orthoclase. Looks like yellow is going to be the upstairs colourscheme this time around.

Utterly defenceless right now, apart from the wooden hatches on the stairs in. No weapons or armour to speak of. That's not too bad at this point as the Dark Stranglers, generally the first invaders, won't be making their first visit until this Winter at the earliest. Still, in wild environs something nasty is liable to show up sooner rather than later.

The first wave of migrants arrives. A fairly average bunch. Apart from the Lich.

Oh dear. What am I going to do with him? He's going to start raising the dead into bone golems, and I don't see that ending at all well. Hmm, they've arrived on the other side of the stream anyway, so I've got some time to figure out what to do while I get a bridge built.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:08:11 am by Arkenor »

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 02, 2013, 02:58:30 pm »

Mid-autumn. Another wave of migrants arrive. Just three this time, bringing me to 17. One of them, Ceshfot Tun, a member of the Alchemist's guild, is a superbeing. Disregarding his 11 ranks in Fishfarming, I quickly make him my military commander before remembering the last time I made an amazing migrant my military commander without running background checks.

That fellow ate a perfectly good tanner before I realised he was a bit odd. Ceshfot is not ringing the same alarm bells, being only 40. But, oh, his relationship tab. A vampire's relationship tab is typically very full. Ceshfot's is empty. No children, no spouse. No parents. That's strange. But still, I don't think it's even possible for him to be anything weird at the same time as being a member of the Alchemist's Guild caste.

I've got an Archeologist sifting through my magma-weak rocks now. I'll be saving inspecting any relics and such until she's a bit better at it, but at least now I have some trade goods, and the pair of obsidian spears she found give my new military something to play with.

I don't have my permanent bonecarver yet, but some hobbiests have knocked up some bone boots, gloves, and helms for my 4 man military.

I'd forgotten about the Lich, and he just got into my crypt and raised a bone golem. Not sure what he raised (I suspect a sheered leatherwing bat skin. I'm not missing any corpses), but it is, at least, friendly, though not controllable or pasturable. Once I'm knee deep in dark strangler bodies Mr Lich is going to become a liability if the bone golems still keep the allegiances of the corpse.

Do liches need to eat and drink? He seems to be going through the motions in that regard, at least, so sealing him into a room as my book-keeper probably is not an option.

Arranging accidents for my dwarves is not my way, but I need to come up with a solution for him. I wonder if I can delich him using a guildhouse.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:26:16 pm by Arkenor »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 113