Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192129 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1350 on: February 11, 2015, 04:43:49 pm »

Just got an announcement that "The world has passed into The Golden Age" as of spring, 162, the 12th year since the founding of the Metropolis of Odthistgigok, "Piss Spring." Piss Spring. Golden Age. Oh my.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 03, 2015, 11:07:15 pm »

Some kingsnakes covered in "nefarious smoke" wandered near my dungeon and got rained on just outside the entrance, so now there's "pools" of smoke that makes things opposed to life when they step in it- except for warlocks, they're apparently immune to nefarious puddles.

Interestingly enough, though both of my ghouls are now non-fort members and opposed to life, they still sort of act like fort members, hanging out in meeting zones and eating my food. One of them is still holding the trout he was hauling when he turned, I like to imagine he's got his armed shoved down the throat and is using it as a makeshift shield to go with his pickaxe that he also hasn't dropped. Looking forward to the combat reports from him.

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure if they're eating any food, they hang around the food stocks a lot, but don't seem to haul anything but the trout.

UPDATE: Opposed to life ghouls are afraid of kakapos. They're officially useless. Actually they make pretty good training dummies, since they're way stronger than the warlocks attacking them but they won't fight back.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:18:07 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: March 04, 2015, 06:22:16 pm »

Officialy my first fortress that I didn't gave up, an Orc Fort foccused on food production that got invaded by dwarfs on the fourth month as I was doing my moat (that wouldn't be of great use, as they were mostly crossbowdwarfs). They may have had short lives because I gave up on early fortifications for the sake of making luxurious rooms, but hell, as short as they were, at least they slept on the best rooms my bone furniture could provide.

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 14, 2015, 03:56:45 am »

Today I started a fort half-way between a good biome and a evil biome. I took lodging in a hill near the river and fortified the outside with walls, traps, and water filled trenches. My miners accidentally dug into the underground caverns before I was ready, twice, and I went through a lot of problems sealing things up, fighting monsters along the way. Then when it looked like I had things under control, a floating brain flied in and killed all my dwarves.

So yeah, that sums up my day.

Kara Brandeddiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 21, 2015, 02:41:33 pm »

Edit:
The map situates on two weather zones, the uppermost stream of the river is in a mountain zone and only unfreeze during summer, the rest freeze during winter. The Orcs expanded the fort until they've built walls that extend from the mountain side to the other side of the river, walling over the river; a mistake, because the river usually only have 3 or 4 depth except in late summer and early autumn. One Elven ambush swam under the wall into the fort, fortunately goblin merchant guards were there to shoot cages on them. Another Elven ambush showed up on the wall, scaring the peons until the archer squad shot them off. After building fortification under the river and walling off the mountain side's z+1, the subsequent sieges began to enter the trap corridor as desired, triggering several redesigns, until the last siege,  turns out that the caged invaders cannot be used for prisoner activity btw.
end Edit.

An Human siege sat outside my Orc fort and wouldn't enter my trap corridors. *edit: One season ago, they killed off the succubus caravan, who began to fight with their own drow spiders halfway into the map. end edit* So I decided to build an archer tower inside the walls for target practice. The peons finished the fortifications but one refused to get down, keeping getting interrupted by the humans. The archers manned the tower but the humans easily blocked off their copper arrows, and the peon was beginning to get thirsty on the tower, until the High Master Snipa fetched the Mithril Signing Arrows coated with ridiculous amount of poisons from the Kobold workshop, including Nether horror. One by one the humans turned into Bebilith. They ignored the rest of the humans, and headed into the trap corridors; they sped past the pressure plates linked to bridged pits, avoided weapon traps and cage traps, killed off half of the stationed squad and many civilians before I lost track. Tantrum spiral ensued. Actually, it is berserk spiral, more like; the orcs berserk a lot, it seems; getting me the habitual beheader achievement from Sound Sense as the Orcs behead each other.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:20:09 am by Kara Brandeddiamond »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 21, 2015, 03:26:21 pm »

Wow  :o  That's a new one!
Maybe we need think about a tweak of the effect on the Nether poison a bit :)

>> getting me the habitual beheader achievement

Is that actually a thing?? :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:28:43 pm by smakemupagus »

Kara Brandeddiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 21, 2015, 10:22:33 pm »

I am still playing 6.2, not alpha.

The Succubus Matriarch took in a deep breath and a good view of the surroundings. The snow covered field glistening white under the sunshine was a very different sight from home. "Yes, this is good."
A tiny voice squeaked, the intern-bus studying to be the Keepbus of Secrets ventured to say:"But but but madam, We are standing on a layer of ice and I've read that on the surface world ice melts when seasons change."
The Matriarch tilted her head, "Oh, do they? well, let's move the wagon, the Cauchemars aren't there for nothing, right?"
"The Harness has snapped and no one has the least idea of how to be a wagonbus," the Keepbus of Secrets lied.
"Hmph, Let's build a huge stockpile and move everything there then."
"Including the 200 bags of sand?"
"Including the 200 bags of sand. We need to set up the glass industry as soon as possible. I don't want to be embarrassed when the caravan comes and we need rooms befitting the Lady of Pain."
As the succubi were still busy moving things inside, spring came. The ice melt. The wagon sank into the river and exploded.
"Come to think of it, maybe we should have just dug the ice, dam the river, dismantle the wagon and retrieve the things after the ice melt."
"Won't the 200 bags of sand get wet?"
"Hmph, What's past is past. Let's get on with what we have managed to save, where's the Glassblowbus?
"She's been missing for weeks."

Later on, the succubi thrived on a Steeloak industry.

"Remember the time that other Matriarch tried to bring 200 wisps with her on her expedition?"
"No, that reality never existed."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:29:33 pm by Kara Brandeddiamond »

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 06, 2015, 04:08:44 am »

In a new fortress that hasn't seen its first winter yet, I focused on creating defenses. My fort is built at the fort of a mountain so with a little slope removal, channeling, and a standard drawbridge, and a few traps I managed to make my fortress practically unapproachable on foot. After that, I used a channel to siphon water from a river into a cistern. I even made my dwarves remove all the stuff my miners dug up from the channeling so that nothing would be caught underwater. So I made my fortress able to withstand any standard siege or ambush without issue.

So imagine my anger and frustration when the enemy appeared inside my damn fort, completely circumventing my defenses.

An archaeologist I got from my first and only migrant wave dug up a marker. Suddenly some the animals I had to butcher to feed my dwarves since I couldn't devote time into agriculture with all the digging and item dumping I was doing. Since my butchery was right outside my front door all the necromorphs blocked off access into the fort (thus all the food, drink, and the dormatory) and they were able to immediately destroy all my workshops (which were just outside my front door).

I had to lock in whatever dwarves were inside and forced them to make a Temple so that I could get rid of the damned things. Meanwhile, all of my dwarves unfortunate enough to be outside were being slaughtered or chased around by the dead. Luckily, my food storage room was connected to the back rooms where I built the needed workshops for the Temple (Mason>Blocks>Stonecrafter>Candelabras) so the few dwarves in there wouldn't starve or dehydrate. I was also lucky that the necomorphs were willing to break down the front door leading into the meeting hall, but not the back door leading to the food storage so I had the time to do what was necessary.

Then I realized that I needed the marker as part of the banishment. By then, one of my two miners was dead and the second was crippled and stranded outside. I had to make a rockforge then a stone pick just to break out to the outside (since as I said, my workshops were built outside; including the archaeologist's study along with the marker).

Then the stupid happened. My dwarves, now free from the back rooms, tried to eat in the meeting hall and sleep in the dormitory.The necromorphs were in both rooms so I got to watch the few dwarves I had walk right into them. Then I got to watch as when one of the dwarves were about to banish the necromorphs he threw a tantrum in the process, destroying the temple.

By the end, I had four dwarves left. My poor militia commander that was being constantly strangled by a necromorph, my crippled miner, and two others. Then one of the those last two died before a dwarf could finally rebuild the temple and make the sacrifice.

Then I looked on in confusion as apparently; my dwarf sacrifice didn't die and turned back into a dwarf after transforming into a sacrifice, the necromorphs didn't die, and I had no way of recovering from there. So I abandoned the fort, then groaned in frustration when I realized I forgot to mark the map as a lair first.

So yeah, be careful with that archaeologist's study.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1358 on: April 06, 2015, 04:31:34 am »

my dwarf sacrifice didn't die and turned back into a dwarf after transforming into a sacrifice, the necromorphs didn't die, and I had no way of recovering from there.
This makes me sad. Usually that works. :/
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

lordofgilneas

• Bay Watcher
  • And i suppose you think you're the one to do it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 07, 2015, 12:42:14 pm »

My forts been doing fine. For now, we do have the occasional booze shortage. But only one guy died (during a unfortunate snow storm that made no drink available) we also have a tone of caged beasts.... I can't sell them though as they always break out. Oh, and a ogress took residence in our monastery. The elves were for once welcome as they brought lots of booze. Now if only a smithing migrant could come. We need to set up our metal industry!

2 Years later (or so): We had to abandon her. A outbreak of caged ogres occured. Citizens and merchants fled in horror from the rampage of ogres.

Later: I have undertaken the reclaimation of gosterkikrost. Which means Hoarystockades. Damnations it is cold. Mysteriously, we saw two merchants and 4 goblins standing around..... Must be strange in the head... Anyways we have found the place is in good shape. Plus it appears some merchants left their wares lying around.....  It's looking like we could survive living here, there's a fish pond so no food problems there.
The first group of migrants arrived, 2 of whom were miner lords. As we explored the deeper parts of the fort, my dwarves reported they found a damaged turret, a guild-hall in good condition. Perhaps when we've learned how to build a coin mintery we can make good use of it. There was a scribe room and research lab, but neither held anything useful, they are functional though so if we get a scientist he won't be bored.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:44:01 pm by lordofgilneas »

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 14, 2015, 03:56:52 pm »

lordofgilneas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 14, 2015, 04:13:58 pm »

Sniper Orcs?!

Gosterkikrost has gained 2 migrant waves. We are growing in size and wealth, having minted Nashalond coins and getting ore processed. We have begun growing ironbark and steeloak aboveground to aid our wealth. We captured 2 succubi (one was fat  >:( ). Our booze and food are well stocked. And we have a squad of javelin marksdwarfs. Things look good for our future.

Thelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 15, 2015, 10:23:29 am »

One year ago, the human diplomat couldn't leave my fortress due to a very long winding exit corridor and an inoportune disease he got that made him move extremely slowly. After being stricken by melancholy he tried to commit suicide jumping from atop several low ledges and finally died somehow.

Now, one year after, a human siege arrived and while closing my bridges I accidentally injured a dwarf who (Armok knows why) ignored my civilian alarm and wandered out of the burrow. I started the construction of a hospital as I had plenty of everything I needed for it in terms of materials and personnel. The Mason was taken to a bed as he was unable to stand, and my Chief Medical Dwarf diagnosed him immediately. While I was supervising all the procedure and in the blink of an eye, the sleeping Farmer beside my injured Mason went from Urist McSleepingfarmer to Urist McColdbody. I immediately paused and checked again. Yup. As dead as they come. Then the usual suspicions arose: 'a vampire must have arrived in the last migration wave'. I'm really bad finding vampires, even more so when my worlds are very young (this one is some 68 years old, I think) and vampires are not very different from normal dwarves. 'Who is it that died? The corpse blinks...' It was one of my first dwarves... Well, c'est la vie. I expected some dwarf had seen the murder as the dead was sleeping in a room with other dwarves, but the announcement of his death was not arriving and other dwarves kept sleeping in the same bed as the body without finding about it. I checked the justice screen but there was nothing there, so I decided to prepare a corpses stockpile near my monastery where my priestess was praying to become a High Priestess, surrounded by some Apostle and a Nun. I had dug a big room between the monastery and the volcano chimney and was waiting for the coffins to be ready when the game paused due to a transformation message that said something about the summoned soul of Urist McFormercoldbody becoming a Farmer again. Puzzled by this, I took some minutes to understand what had happened and realized that he had been resurrected by the praying dwarves around the corpse.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then the discovery of the corpse arrived: Urist McSleepingfarmer has been found dead, completely dried of blood. Ha! I knew it. But... wait, what's happening... what's all that thing about a tantrum.

That will teach me about letting dwarves make friends. (Check the numbers on the lower right corner: the red 40 means angry dwarves).

By the way, the humans got caged or slaughtered by my traps, they were trying to take advantage of the situation (I had forgotten about them) but now they will pay the consequences.

Edit: now I have plenty of mad, melancholic and berserk dwarves wreaking havoc in my fort, while the Ashkin I was training for opening the magma chimney finished his training and started throwing fireballs around. It's the first time I see so much !!FUN!!.

Edit 2: it's been three dwarves resurrected already. Maybe I can survive without losing anyone. xD

Edit 3: Nope. All went straight down to hell.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:57:37 am by Thelo »

lordofgilneas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 15, 2015, 02:51:04 pm »

Not quite sure how to avoid friendmaking...

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 15, 2015, 03:46:41 pm »

Not quite sure how to avoid friendmaking...

When you're talking about vampires it's very easy to keep them from making friends by simply locking them in somewhere they can't interact with the other dwarves. Popular uses tend to be an always-alert lever puller for important things like bridges that hold out enemy invasions. Or training them up to legendary and dropping foes into their room to murderize. :D The problem is usually figuring out WHICH of them is the culprit. And why I usually just use the cursechecker that comes with DFHack if I'm actually playing a fort and not just messing around with things.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 113