Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191956 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2013, 08:42:01 am »

(note, the other announcements were from fortress modes, this was my first adventurer announcement).
WHAT.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2013, 08:53:34 am »

It's normal. It may happen by passing by stray animals. You also get messages about hearing their noises (like "you hear quaking" if you there's a duck nearby but you can't see it, or "the duck quaks" if you are seeing it).
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2013, 09:19:59 am »

but licking another completely random animal i found amusing as heck.

sadly the game was really confused by changing to adventurer mode, i change into another dwarf after sleeping whom had a broken leg and sucked with a crutch (recently broken, so no time to increase crutch skill)
Those ambushes in the announcements were still there, so i kinda got my head bashed in by a tigerman macelord (3 of them + war elephant)

I'll give it another try some other time, i want to run around with my 110 kill swordsdwarf for a bit :P

Decided i need a few more random dwarf cities to litter the countryside, so making a few colourful fortresses to leave with dwarves in (changing to adventure mode leaves all dwarves in the same city from fortress mode, they will rarely leave).

Might make running around the countryside a little safer with some havens to run to
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2013, 10:19:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mmm, I didn't remember about this guy. Just pasture him with the Jack Rats.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2013, 11:15:29 am »

I forgot to unforbid a batch of toad shots and now half of my kobolds turned into sheep. We now have plenty of wool.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2013, 11:46:15 am »

Holy sheep man, I've never tried the psychotropic toad. I expected the effects to be all banal stuff like a courage boost or nausea. But turning into a sheep? That's awesome.
Anyway, the chinchilla attacked and got gangraped by a war ogre, a drowspider, two war shalswars and my soldiers. A bone carver passing by got badly injured to the chest and the left hand. He lied in the "meeting hall" with no care whatsoever from my witch doctor and my other medic (they were both idling, yet ignored him), trampled by jack rats and kept alive only by good samaritans. For some reasons vultures attacked. So, forgetting him I start building an inn, with a cellar for storage and a dormitory in the first floor (european floor counting). Later I am told that a bonecarver has been taken by a fey mood: it's the one who got injured, who was apparently moved to the dormitory when the mood stroke. He grabbed three stacks of bones (vulture, strangler and gray langur) and a piece of leather, now I have to see what he crafts.
EDIT: A bone shovel. Savescummed and got an hourglass. Guess I'll accept it, I have better things to do anyway. We talked about modding ogres to be sapient, do you want to see the results so far?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'll bet you didn't know ogres have high musicality.
Now I want to get one to have a strange mood.
EDITEDIT: I just bought the ogresses and the drakesses. Later I'll see if I can make a party of a married couple of ogres, a donkey (for the social skills) and a drake. The donkey's the tricky one. Interestingly, the bard ogress was nowhere to be bought on the trade screen. She probably was attacked and got out of her cage, or maybe she was the merchant.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:16:59 pm by Apani »

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2013, 03:22:31 am »

gotta say, the first time I heard about this mod I was all "No! Play it the way it's meant to be played! At least for a while!"

Then, I took a look at it "Once I get the basics of DF down, then maybe."

Now, after having tried the Dwarf Fortress aspect of it (don't feel ready for Orc/Kobold just yet), I have to say I'm loving it. Just being able to choose which booze I'm making ALONE is nice. But then there's also the indoor fish pond.and the spider hive that my dwarves haven't figured out how to put in a hive yet. Unless there's a special *spider* hive that I missed somewhere.

I'm kind of nervous now that year 1 is ending because there's so many more possibly active sieging forces.

But this mod will let me be more of a shutin than I normally am in DF.

because easy fishing.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2013, 04:54:01 am »

For the spider hive, when you make an hive your hivekeepers put a colony in it choosing from the natural ones present on the map. May it be a silk moth, a bane spider, an honey bee, or else. But I don't think bane spiders are not actually worth it, since the only thing you can make with them is a poison which works only on orcs and goblins.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2013, 08:26:51 am »

"This is a masterful bloody figurine of Rimtar Laborioustiles created by Kor Sulusidos. 
The item is a masterfully designed  image of Rimtar Laborioustiles the dwarf and dwarves in bloody by Kor Sulusidos.  Rimtar Laborioustiles is  surrounded by the dwarves.  The artwork relates to the selection of the dwarf Rimtar Laborioustiles to the position of expedition leader of The Ponderous Demons in the early spring of 101.
"

...what?
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2013, 08:41:30 am »

Guess you do not last to long in that role ?

I got a wooden fireplace for an artifact very useful I thought :P

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2013, 08:46:56 am »

*chuckle* well...

1. I haven't ordered any figurine's made so it's either from one of the seiges or from sacrificing the necromancer gear afterwards
2. what on earth is "bloody" as a material type?
3. it's not an artifact, I found it while searching for stuff to trade to the drow
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2013, 09:25:03 am »

I also got a wooden artifact brazier. I guess if you cut it's just right, wood won't burn.

My current fort is finally going the best I have ever done with this Mod. I have a habit of leaving the harder stuff on and embarking in savage areas so death comes in many forms.

My favorite worldgen setup has produced a surface opening volcano right next to a brook. The magma is just 2z below the water. So after a few false starts on how to make the best design incorporate a magma trap and a waterfall down thru the fort levels.  I also have iron, silver, copper, colbalt, coke, flux, and wolfram in supply. Finally I will have a decent metal industry too.

I started off rough on the first year with immediately losing my hunter to the scavenging orge stealing plump helmets from my wagon. He plucked her head right off without much todo. That lead me both shirt on more meat and some booze. I had to do lots of plant gathering to recover. Harder farming makes you completely dependent on plants you bring or gather until that first caravan arrives.

After setting up soil level farms and the clay/glass industry, I dug into obsidian layer where my iron and copper are so I started the great banquet hall to host the waterfall and started the stoneworks and metalworkers areas. With magma safe stone I started building a magma drowning trap and the a bridge across the magma pit. I also built a wall around my outside training. And farming area. 

My magma pit bridge caused many unknown burning deaths. Maybe the dwarves pushed each other or blocks fell and splashed them. Not sure. I also build a wider floor below on the surface of the magma to catch what the retracting bridge and dodge this traps send from above. This will allow my marks to practice and to let me keep the metal imports.

My second source of deaths has been Mage ambushers. The Orc aim or throats did some damage as well but came at a time I was ready to test the magma flooder.

I am trying to get more traps on the bridge but can't figure out why there is no pulley production to get these trapts all upgraded properly. Rope and mechanisms right?

My commander has proven awesome. She single handedly ended the langurs horde that took out two other dwarves. She refused to take the patternweld cobalt axe I made due to her love of iron. The new axe saved her life during a necro ambush, allowing her to slice off enough to make it retreat and for her squad to drag her broken leg to the hospital. (So glad I have two apothecaries training docs).

I am going for the garrison next to get more warriors up to speed. I start them in rigid scale (so easy to get full bins of it from the dwarves)   Steel comes once trained some. Hunters and Marks use javelin throwers with broad head javs. Costs more to train, but seeing a hunter take out a giant lion with the only counter attack stratching on the rigid scale trousers is pretty awesome. I imagined the beast just fell on the dwarf as it died - just like the movies.

Sorry if TLDR. Making up for my absence sense MWDF2.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2013, 09:58:23 am »

Warp stone is bad very bad  hate losing miners never get any new ones looks like training time!

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2013, 10:03:48 am »

Warp stone is bad very bad  hate losing miners never get any new ones looks like training time!

Get them to join the mason's guild.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2013, 11:22:06 am »

Get them to join the mason's guild.

Main problem with that the fort is only a year old not even thought about guildhall yet never mind plenty of volunteers  :P
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 113