Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192228 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1305 on: December 30, 2014, 02:53:31 pm »

Second dwarf attack, this time several squads supported by a unit of armored bear cavalry and a pack of mastiffs, and lo and behold, the trap I set up worked perfectly! A few small weapont raps loaded with two kobold daggers, a spare pick that used to be Centaur's, and a bunch of leftover bone spikes and sawblades killed some of the boars they were riding, the cages caught several enemy soldiers, and a few were even killed falling into the spike pit!

Two of three enemy commanders got both lungs pierced by lucky shots that broke her ribs while the other took a spike to the neck and bled out. Their surviving animals and soldiers that escaped the cages fled, as did the one squad that didn't have a bunch of animals skewered. The dwarves captured? Ghoulification.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: December 30, 2014, 03:54:20 pm »

You can get wood by offering ash and burning that in a smelter for 3 coal.  And you can get ash by burning things in a crematorium (like remains that you're not using).  It's not very efficient, but it's a possibility.

Additionally, wood can result in 4 units of coal if you first split into planks, then burn planks into coal at the smelter (rather than burning the wood itself). It is more labour-intensive but more ash-efficient if you're relying on prayers with ash for your wood.

Though if you're building stuff out of wood you could probably just clear cut the place and use wood for coal without having to pray for wood.

You could also plant trees, though if you have harder farming on (enabled by default) they'll take a year before anything results, and you'll need a sawmill to process them.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 30, 2014, 04:50:48 pm »

Thanks for the advice guys, I have used it well and the smelteries are starting to run red hot with iron! SOON, THE FORT WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES!

...That is, if they ever come.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 30, 2014, 05:16:06 pm »

Thanks for the advice guys, I have used it well and the smelteries are starting to run red hot with iron! SOON, THE FORT WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES!

...That is, if they ever come.

Embassey bro, tis' what it's there for. And calling caravans, but it all costs money.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 31, 2014, 05:04:07 pm »

Tis the ten year anniversary of the founding of Mechanismcorridor. An expedition sent to explore the uninhabited central mountains known as the Cherished Towers found bituminous coal seams at the surface. The mountains are good aligned, bordered by a sinister region haunted by re-animation and rains of dwarf blood. The mighty dwarven civilization known as "The Mousy Incests" (they are all George R. R. Martin fans, I guess?) decided they would be the first to settle this region.

The pioneers picked a location at the edge of the blood-plains, in a calm region of wooded hills abutting the mountains. Digging in, they quickly found plenty of iron and gold, an abundance of marble, and best of all, a magma tube in the center of the first caverns. The upperworks have all been completed: a low central citadel with wooden stockades enclosing pastures, a trade hall, and an entrance tower occupy the center of the map, overlooking the small brook that flows from the west down to the east. A trade road leads east and a large white brick inn, fortified in the traditional "L-plan castle" style, sits at the eastern border of the area.

To celebrate anniversary, the dwarves are moving into the caverns. A vicious forgotten beast with poisonous gas was killed in a repeating spear hall, and then the magma tube and a small central lake next to it were walled off. Another beast showed up just as the cavern-floor level walls were being finished, but it caused no trouble. The herds of wooly mountain goats, boozebelly goats, pekyts and tusk-oxen have been moved to the cavern from their muddy dens near the surface. The dwarves are now in the process of excavating new spaces for a kitchen, workshops, and living spaces in the cavern pillars overlooking the lake.

The military is now in fine shape, a polished killing machine composed of forty highly trained professional military guild dwarves: twenty melee fighters clad in full steel, ten crossbow dwarves clad in mithril and ten more in leather. The older of the two melee squads all have steel-clad war grizzlies as pets, while the newer squad have steel-clad cragtooth boars. Steel-clad badgerdogs accompany the mithrl-clad crossbow squad, while the relatively green second crossbow squad are simply expected to occupy the gate tower, directly above the floor with the slade and bullet turrets.

Mage training proceeds apace, Mechanismcorridors now has an arcane protector, witch hunter, two rockmages, a skymage, and an icemage in a squad, clad in mithril, training with staves and auras. A novice firemancer studies at the fire altar, while an adept learns his craft making missiles, spell tomes and phylacteries.

The priesthood consists of a high priest, a priestess and an apostle. They don't do much but sacrifice hearts and ash at the altar.

Our Duchess was specifically chosen because she has no item preferences, so she never issues any demands. The mayor, a slick merchant's guild type, likes gauntlets and barrels. This has made trading food a bit tricky.

The fort has had its share of troubles in the past, and twenty coffins lay occupied in to tombs below. A secret necromancer was starved in his room, and unwisely buried near everyone else. He came back from the grave and would occasionally raise the dead before anyone figured out what was going on. The lifemancer finally put an end to his evil. A drow spy was sacrificed to Armok for equipment. A missed production deadline forced the captain of the guard to kill one of his own recruits. A nasty goblin ambush facing a green and overconfident military led to five soldiers dead on the battlefield. Two failed moods led to berserk dwarves being put down. A giant bat flew in from the caverns and bit the head off a legendary mason while the cavern walls were being built.

But now, the only real problem faced by the fort is trash and disorganization. Old cloths, weird gnomish gadgets bought to see what they might do, too much food, far too many bags and barrels, unprocessed invader gear, and oh so many bones. The tailors went a bit berserk on repeat orders and produced far too much clothing. The upper areas of the fort weren't so much designed as thrown down willy-nilly, without much thought for efficiency, stockpile size and placement, or the use of minecarts and quantum stockpiling. Hopefully, the new cavern level fortress will be prettier and more efficient.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 31, 2014, 07:49:39 pm »

Either bisexuality was secretly coded in, or this poor guy is so deeply buried in the closet that he's discovered adamantine in there. Either way, random migrant, congratulations on your unquenchable loins. Hopefully in twelve years your children will have aspired to be more ambitious than the life of a cheese maker.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or it's a bug, but hey. see also ***SPECIAL GEMS***
Actually, there's a random chance a dwarf will be bisexual. So yeah, it was coded in. What happened to you is definitely a bug, though. Also, wtf.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: January 01, 2015, 01:29:57 am »

While variable forms of sexual orientation exist in 0.40.xx, it's not a thing in 0.34.11, which ☼Masterwork☼ is built on.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: January 01, 2015, 08:15:16 am »

It's not really relevant anyway, considering that that still shouldn't show up in that list and is almost definitely a bug.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: January 02, 2015, 01:26:53 am »

Either bisexuality was secretly coded in, or this poor guy is so deeply buried in the closet that he's discovered adamantine in there. Either way, random migrant, congratulations on your unquenchable loins. Hopefully in twelve years your children will have aspired to be more ambitious than the life of a cheese maker.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or it's a bug, but hey. see also ***SPECIAL GEMS***
Actually, there's a random chance a dwarf will be bisexual. So yeah, it was coded in. What happened to you is definitely a bug, though. Also, wtf.

Not a bug per se, nor related to orientation ... you're playing with YesMoreEngravings option active, in which cases "males" are a legitimate SHAPE to be engraved into various artwork, and as a side effect can also be preferred.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: January 02, 2015, 01:51:59 pm »

And the ***SPECIAL GEMS***?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: January 02, 2015, 02:45:08 pm »

And the ***SPECIAL GEMS***?

Masterwork is so full of dfhack weird stones that there should be no character with proper preferences.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: January 02, 2015, 03:19:25 pm »

That's not even really a dfhack thing or weird stone, it's there purely to exist as a header in certain menus, but because of the circumlocutions it takes to do that with the raws, it technically exists as an actual object so units can have a preference for it (among others).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1317 on: January 02, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »

That's not even really a dfhack thing or weird stone, it's there purely to exist as a header in certain menus, but because of the circumlocutions it takes to do that with the raws, it technically exists as an actual object so units can have a preference for it (among others).
Correct.

Once the mod is update to the new dfhack, there should be around 1000 of these unnecessary inorganics (used only by dfhack) less than now.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: January 04, 2015, 03:42:48 pm »

Necromancer Siege. Went interestingly.

At first, I had only 12 military dwarves, 4 of which were untrained marksdwarves. And most of them had spears or axes. Against 45 corpses and 3 necromancers, not exactly winnable. Fortunately, the only access to my fort was through a big-ass bridge over a big-ass pit 5z levels deep. Which I've decided I need to floor over with concrete or something so that landing on it does more damage. Not nearly enough right now, even against living creatures. So I spent most of the winter throwing together a bunch of copper maces while I toggled the bridge, letting only a few corpses in at a time so that I could safely kill them and dispose of the remains before repeating.

Then this guy shows up.

Fortunately, he spent most of the siege just running around, chasing the goats I'd failed to bring inside in time, before running over a randomly-placed cage trap. I'm still deciding what to do with him.

One of the necromancers was a naga who kept leaving gouts of water in his wake. And this is in winter, so the water keeps freezing instantly. He later turned up dead and I couldn't find the corpse, so I can only assume he got too slow and popsicled himself at some point.

One of my hammerdwarves blatantly disregarded his station orders and dashed across the bridge to attack an enemy out of sight. On his way back he got atomized. Tragic timing.

Eventually enough zombies died that the siege ended and the remaining necromancers got out of dodge. An elven caravan arrived at that exact moment. Thankfully. I didn't have much food remaining, and since they have armed guards now it was helpful for cleaning up the stragglers.

[edit]: That Naga may be causing me more trouble than I thought. The freeze comes in mid-autumn and the thaw is late spring. I'm not sure what water depth is required to form an ice wall, but if this stuff doesn't evaporate in the next few months it could lead to some interesting results.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:29:26 am by Loyal »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: January 05, 2015, 11:59:55 pm »

I think you need at least 4/7 to make an ice wall, those puddles should just just make a floor.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 113