Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38

Author Topic: The 1st Punitive Mars Expedition: Money In The Bank  (Read 33237 times)

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The 1st Punitive Mars Expedition: Hostile Hospitality [WL:5/6]
« Reply #435 on: July 24, 2013, 07:31:30 pm »

(( Well I'm ready for our argument when you are :P ))
The darkness was eternal, all-powerful, unchangeable.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.
Now she was lighting a candle.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 24, 2013, 07:53:01 pm »

Marcus sighs, and gets out of the buggy. They had some extra travel space, not that Alexis had done some modifications, and he needed to get to know everyone before they moved out, since they were headed for the large holdfast, with the bank. He'd decided to do so, mostly since Alexis had a point, but also because splitting their forces was not a good idea, and it was just as unlikely to be guarded as the smaller one, and would have more resources. He should probably talk with the girl first, since she seemed possessive over the rest of the heavy armor. Heaks hoped she'd understand reason.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 29, 2013, 12:52:40 am »

[waitlisting and PTW]
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 29, 2013, 02:47:37 pm »

(( Well no time like the present sooo. ))

Climbing out of her own buggy and approaching Marcus Alexis stared at him patiently.

"Judging from the way you've been looking at me you've got something to say."
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 29, 2013, 06:38:55 pm »

[PTW, don't mess up La Resistance, people ;) ]
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 29, 2013, 06:52:46 pm »

Marcus' eyebrow rose. This was unexpected. Not unwelcome, but unexpected. "You seem a bit possessive around the new recruits. I'm wondering why."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 29, 2013, 07:03:54 pm »

" Because as long as I'm stuck on this hell hole I want to gather up a good sized force to work with me to see that I and they survive this. I'm a heavy so it makes sense for me to gather up other heavies to work with me. I don't mind doing what you say, within reason of course. But I want to decide what to do with the heavies we find.
Now it never would.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 29, 2013, 07:25:41 pm »

FD: "If it's all the same to you, we didn't sign up for another tour. We're fuckin civilians. So I speak for myself when I say that I will follow the orders I see sense in until I trust you lot. I may even give a few suggestions myself in the heat of battle."

PJ: "What he said, pretty much. Minus the orders. And if you can send someone not me, I'd like that. Don't get me wrong - I can shoot. I just like being unarmored and using the amp until I can't, THEN blowing stuff up from a safe distance."

PJ: "Speaking of... Some of you lot good at suit mods? I'd like to implant the Amp in this. No hurry, I'd rather have a working amp than a piece of junk."

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 29, 2013, 07:29:04 pm »

"Don't worry the jugs will be out front. You boys will be safely behind us shooting away from a safe distance if we need you. Your gonna need to learn to fight after all we're on an alien world and they want us dead, but I'll try to keep you out of the thick of it. Ok?
Now it never would.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 29, 2013, 07:33:34 pm »

Marcus turns to speak with PJ. "I think Robert is. He's over there, by the tent." Marcus points him out.

'Yeah, I figured that much, FD. What's your real name anyway?"

Finally, he responds to Alexis. "First off, the question is why the rest of us don't count as part of this 'force' you want to make. Second off, what credentials do you have for leading anything? Do you have combat experience? You know how to use those weapons -barely- since FD trained you, but what knowledge of tactics do you actually have? I don't recognize you, so you weren't in my company, even if you're wearing Jason's armor, so you must have been a civilian. Meaning I have a couple more questions to ask. One, why do you think you're fit to be in command of anything, much less valuable and important heavily-armored ex-marines. Two, as we just saw, they might not particularly be good in combat themselves. Wearing big armor doesn't mean you can use big guns well. And three, why do you lump anyone wearing a Juggernaught suit or a Dreadnaught into the 'heavy' category? I've seen scouts wearing Juggernaught suits, and technicians wearing Dreadnaught's. I've snuck through enemy bases while in a Titan suit. Wearing heavy armor does not confine you to one role on the battlefield, and even if it did, making all of one role under one person's command is incredibly inefficient and ill-conceived. It results in divisions in command, quarrels, and the force as a whole is fractured and weakened because it's not able to delegate units where they are needed efficiently."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 29, 2013, 07:37:41 pm »

PJ: "...Here's the other side of the civilian thing. This is our planet. We stayed alive because we fought when we had to and ran when we had to. We Mars folks aren't like you. We're not surrendering our rights to outsiders, humans or not."

FD: "Fuckin calm down, dude."

Cue dragging away towards Robert's direction.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 29, 2013, 07:52:56 pm »

" I have no intention of taking your rights. I was a civilian myself before I got here. Don't worry I'll make sure you don't have to fight unless it's essential and I'll certainly be coming to you all for advise on how to get things done on this planet.

The rest of you don't count because I can't command you. Your in charge, I know how to use heavy armor but not other kinds so me commanding others not in heavy armor would make no sense.
I've been in combat a few times to conduct repairs during battles to keep the heavies moving and fighting so I've spent a lot of time around soldiers and officers alike. Enough time to learn more about tactics then most soldiers with under 5 years of service will know.
I've used other weapons a few times when I had to defend myself or when it was simply required to get 1 more fighter into the line, I have experience and I can handle myself in a fight when I need to and with his training I can do so even better.

As for why I should? I want to command them. I know enough to do it and I fully intend to learn everything the marines can teach me and ask for advice for them before I make any decision. So why should I not be given a chance before you reject me?
I was also like these civilians when I first got this gig, I know how they feel and I know what they are capable of when it comes down to it, something you as a soldier do not since by the time you went into battle you'd been trained for it.
Three, the category of heavies is a varied category depending on the packs the suit is using. I know everything there is to know about what this armor can do, you know what the armor can be used to do but not how it can do it or what it will need to be able to do it. Thats done for you by people like me so it makes perfect sense for me to decide how to use them for the jobs because I'm the one who knows exactly what the armor will need to be capable of it and if the armor is suitable at all. You have your expertise and I have mine, let me use it and if I then mess up you can remove me from command then.

As for me taking them all, this is not a normal situation and since I'm the one here best suited to know what heavies are best for what jobs it makes sense for them to be with me, you tell me what job you need to get done and I'll tell you how we're going to do it for you. I won't argue with your orders unless the order is suicidal, or the order is impossible in the way you've asked then I'll inform you and we can work it out.
Besides as things keep getting bigger your going to have a lot to keep track of, leaving the heavies to me saves you a lot of time. In the marines you had subordinates who kept track of things and access to all the records. You don't have that now but you have me to lighten the load a bit.

We're going to have to get along, so give me a chance to prove I can be a good soldier and a leader before you label me as a wrench monkey.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:58:44 pm by Alexandria »
Now it never would.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 29, 2013, 08:06:28 pm »

Marcus laughs when she says it was done by other people for him. "I have over twenty-five years of combat experience. About fifteen of those have been in a command position. I'd say maybe three to four were in heavy armor, and maybe six or seven in light armor. Why does knowing how to use heavy armor make you any more suited to commanding it than someone else? Because a tank's crewman knows how to drive the tank, does that mean that they should be in command of all of the armored vehicles?

"Oh my, my apologies. I didn't realize you wanted to. Let's get this straight, right now. I will give you one chance. Because I'm feeling nice. And if you fuck up and get someone killed, I will kick your ass so hard that Earth will get knowledge about this place first-hand. I'm not about to let someone give orders just because they want to. Your pride is worth nothing to me. Their pride is worth nothing to me. My pride is worth nothing to me. My only objective here is to keep as many of you fuckin' rookies alive as possible, and get off this hellhole. If we can kill some of these fuckers and get some intel in the process, all the better.

"Finally, you aren't the best suited here. He is."
Marcus points to FuckinDreadnaught. "He knows them, he's experienced, and he's actually good with his weapons. But I don't know him. I know you, some. So you get to 'command' them, because I'm feeling nice. For now. You blow it, and Scouts will envy how fast I send you flying. We don't have time to waste screwing around inflating egos. And we don't have time to waste screwing around popping them either. So you'll get your chance. Don't waste it."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 29, 2013, 08:16:21 pm »

Nodding towards the indicated man Alexis shrugs.

"He'll be doing most of the command making anyway while I learn, he'll tell me the best course of action and then I'll give the order to do it. If I'm in command then consider him my second.

Good for you, you were trained to be a soldier and your survived in battle.

I was trained to be en engineer, to stay out of the fighting and make sure the armor still worked. I still went into battle frequently with almost no training and you know what? I'm still here. I fought without all that training and experience of yours and I survived to be here today telling you I can do the job. That should tell you what kind of person I am. I survive, whatever the odds. No matter how impossible, I survive and know something else?
The 7 men in armor like mine dead in that wreck survived as well, on my last job before this I led the armies combat engineers and more then once we took a battle that was lost and we turned it around. We weren't trained to or asked to but we were heavies, training or not, military or not it was in our blood to spit in defeats face, whether you trust me or not doesn't matter, whether it makes me look good or not doesn't matter. I'm going to survive this and I'm going to spit in certain deaths face to do it before I drag it's sorry ass across this planet as for those civilians? They might not know it yet but the simple fact that they chose to put on heavy armor tells me they are heavies in the core where it matters and in time they'll understand what that means just like I did.
Us civilians aren't as weak as you seem to think we are and I'm going to take great pleasure in relieving you of that I'm a soldier and your not arrogance of yours. Make sure you stay alive long enough to eat your words... Sir.

If you don't trust me then you can trust that. I am going to leave this planet alive and if your lucky you'll still be standing in the end to admit I was the right girl for the job. If not, well it's proof enough that I lived to know I was right.
Now it never would.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 30, 2013, 11:54:07 am »

"And you know what? I was trained to be a doctor. Wich gives me credibility to go around rooting in your guts and where-ever-I-well-please, if you want to know it. So do I need to prescribe you two lovebirds something, or will you calm down by yourselfs? Or should I better get the detector ready to see who of you can piss farther?"

The good doctor is not really amused by the play unfolding in front of him. Well, if it were a play he just might be, but this is pertaining to his own survival. That`s where he gets a bit picky, to say the least. (No, he is not really aware that this might not be helping. But hey, social interactions were not on the curricilum...)

"And yeah, if we get another one who can do more than empty a srynge and put some freezer on a wound, I would suggest he be deployed as far as possible from me. Higher chances and stuff. I would request his assistance - or he mine, albeit I doubt we find someone that skilled - if needed. Just saying thou. Right, since we are on the matter of abilities already - anyone willing to brush up on his first-aid skills while we are on the road? "

He also offers to train others in basic medicine while they drive towards their goal. He is not sure how much, if any good it will do, but it should beat sitting around twiddling thumbs.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38