Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38

Author Topic: The 1st Punitive Mars Expedition: Money In The Bank  (Read 33246 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The 1st Punitive Mars Expedition: Destination Unknown [WL:4/6]
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2013, 02:54:47 pm »

((From the base material, I don't think humans have fusion yet. Besides, it's unlikely that it will be used except in the largest holdfasts. After all, fusion requires a ton of energy to start. (Kai have cold fusion FYI) Windpower is useless on Mars (athmosphere is nonexistant). Solar is usefull, though unreliable.))

Mars was still in the first stages of terraforming. Ie, maybe liveable for bacteria, but not much more.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:56:20 pm by 10ebbor10 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2013, 03:25:40 pm »

an explosion so big they can see it from earth.
[That goal is completely acceptable and also hilarious to imagine.]
[It also leaves a lot of questions open. For instance, what kind of equipment are we talking? Naked eye, Hubble, something in between?]

[And I think we were discussing power for a while back when we were planning to colonize Mars. Good times. Whatever kind of nuclear we have, plus a little solar, is likeliest.]
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »

I was thinking naked eye, just because it's more impressive but that would probably destroy the planet and kill us.
The darkness was eternal, all-powerful, unchangeable.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.
Now she was lighting a candle.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2013, 03:51:08 pm »

[Mohs Scale Of Sci-Fi Hardness:

1. Science In Genre Only: The work is unambiguously set in the literary genre of Science Fiction, but scientific it is not. Things run on Nonsensoleum and Unobtanium, and both Bellisario's Maxim (don't examine this too closely) and the MST3K Mantra (It's just a show; I should really just relax) apply.

2. World Of Nonsensoleum: The universe is full of Nonsensoleum with more to be found behind every star, but the Nonsensoleum is dealt with in a fairly consistent fashion despite its lack of correspondence with reality and, in-world, is considered to lie within the realm of scientific inquiry.

3. Physics Plus: Stories in this class once again have multiple forms of Nonsensoleum, but in contrast to the prior class, the author aims to justify these creations with real and invented natural laws — and these creations and others from the same laws will turn up again and again in new contexts.

4. One Big Lie: Authors of works in this class invent one (or, at most, a very few) counterfactual physical laws and writes a story that explores the implications of these principles.

5. Speculative Science: Stories in which there is no "big lie" — the science of the tale is (or was) genuine speculative science or engineering, and the goal of the author to make as few errors with respect to known fact as possible.

6. Real Life (aka Fiction in Genre Only): A Shared Universe which spawned its own genre, known as "Non Fiction". Despite the various problems of reality being "unrealistic", it is almost universally agreed that there is no other universe known so thoroughly worked out from established scientific principles.

I am aiming to be somewhere between 3 and 4 with this game.

EDIT: Your biggest issue is air pressure and cold-ass temperatures.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 03:55:40 pm by Ross Vernal »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2013, 03:54:36 pm »

I was thinking naked eye, just because it's more impressive but that would probably destroy the planet and kill us.
[There's probably a downside, too. I can't believe I just typed that.]
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2013, 03:56:50 pm »

[Can we decide on a hidden base before we plan blowing things up.]

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2013, 03:57:27 pm »

(( Remind me to shoot you in the leg on the way out.... ;)

Hidden base won't work very well for us in this situation, our best bet is just to keep moving. ))
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2013, 04:00:43 pm »

[I disagree. A hidden base works well when you dig into the crater that is probably made of loose materials. But that's my inner survivalist talking.]

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2013, 04:02:31 pm »

(( On earth sure, on an alien planet? Staying in 1 place is sure to get you killed since they know the terrain far better then we do. ))
Now it never would.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 30, 2013, 04:04:17 pm »

[I am rolling my eyes because you think that blowing up a factory that we could potentially use is a better plan.]

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 30, 2013, 04:10:25 pm »

(( Uhm, we're fighting a rebel war, we don't use factories we steal what we need and vanish. A factory is a good way to get a lot of us killed when they bomb it. ))
Now it never would.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2013, 05:56:31 pm »

((From the base material, I don't think humans have fusion yet. Besides, it's unlikely that it will be used except in the largest holdfasts. After all, fusion requires a ton of energy to start. (Kai have cold fusion FYI) Windpower is useless on Mars (athmosphere is nonexistant). Solar is usefull, though unreliable.))

Mars was still in the first stages of terraforming. Ie, maybe liveable for bacteria, but not much more.

((OOC: we have basic fusion now that can produce as much power as it takes in.

And i think really the only way we could travel quickly in space is to have Fusion.

so, for this game universe to make any sense, humanity needs fusion. maybe just limit it to earth?

Also, we dont need the factory. we have the equipment to make food, water, ammo, tools and most other things we need. the only reason we'd need a factory or something similar is so we can strip everything inside it down into RAW to use as we see fit)).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:00:05 pm by kahn1234 »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2013, 06:06:56 pm »

[Vehicles and armor are important. Good luck making those with an Assembler. Or, say, portable inventory stations, so on. Also, you can't do turrets. Or antigrav nodes. So on, so forth.

Yes, you have fusion. It is nowhere near Kai level and doesn't even come close to resembling Flower level in any manner.

Also, yes, the big plant has a nuke plant. Fusion-fission hybrid.]

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2013, 06:09:08 pm »

((OOC: One final question. What on earth is 'Flower Level'?))
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38