Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 65

Author Topic: Undertale: Spoilers! Its whats for dinner!  (Read 152372 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Undertale: Its dangerous to go alone, take Spoilers
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2015, 01:43:48 am »

Male/male, two guards in Hotland.
Nothing important here, move along.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 30, 2015, 01:45:12 am »

How is Alphys bi? Is it something Mettaton says if you pick 'Mettaton' or 'Asgore' for his final question? I always picked Undyne and Mettaton confirms Alphys is crushing on her super hard; otherwise, unless I'm forgetting something, Alphys's preferences go unstated (which is good. Undertale would suffer if that was pushed super hard like Bioware does their one note characters).
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 30, 2015, 01:48:45 am »

Alphys is confirmed to crush on both Undyne and Asgore, though I'm not sure if you can get that confirmation in the same run-through. I'm pretty sure you can, though.

Alphys also makes flirtatious comments about Toriel, which gives more credence that she's not very choosy. Asgore's the only male she's confirmed to have a crush on, though, as far as I'm aware.
Nothing important here, move along.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2015, 01:50:39 am »

I just realized that I'm not consistent with the player character at all. I basically switch between male and female whenever it seems... right, at the moment. I think I'll go with that, for the player character that is. Like, as a thing. S/he feels.

Uh. Is there a term for that?

It's actually really fascinating how basically all my feelings on the player character are things that I'm projecting... but this is not something I feel at all. I never even thought of anything like that until I just now tried articulating in full my opinions on the player character's gender.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 01:54:29 am by Putnam »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2015, 01:53:30 am »

Huh. Guess I'll try that option on my next run; I might go neutral to see what that's about, and I like the Your Best Nightmare fight anyway.

As for Putnam's spoiler a few posts back, I like the fact that Undertale is very concrete on what's going on and the events that lead up to it, but still leaves a lot of things about the game up to player interpretation. It's very well done.

Edit @Putnam: genderfluid, I think. Ask Cinder? They know more about it.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 30, 2015, 09:21:30 am »

The player character is of ambiguous gender, the idea is you get to choose it yourself.  Similarly exactly what they say and do is kept vague so you can imagine what you were doing in that place.  There's a joke about it in the So Cold fight.

"Chara" is you.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 30, 2015, 10:04:05 am »

Yea, the main character has no definite gender so the player can project themselves on them more easily
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyway, why does everyone love to throw infinite labels around instead of just going with "x character likes y character" :v? Why does it matter? Is this tumblr now, where its apparently impossible for a character to exist without a creepy analysis of their sexual orientation and the respective labelling?
And ye, its confirmed that Alphys had a massive crush on both undyne and asgore. She get togheder with undyne because she reciprocates it (in her own way).

Also, I never understood the whole papyrus+metatton ship thing. They don't even interact during the game, and while papyrus seems to want to meet metatton, it may just be because he's the underground's resident superstar. Also don't understand the whole toriel+sans thing, they just seem to be great friends, akin to undyne and papyrus, who clearly really like eachother but in a fraternal, brotherly way.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 10:33:05 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 30, 2015, 01:24:53 pm »

I 100% thought that the character was a girl when I played it. I don't even know why.

I always find pictures depicting her as a boy feeling very strange to me. It's like someone Rule 63'd her.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 30, 2015, 01:37:08 pm »

But yeah, while they're definitely meant to be ambiguous, it's worth noting that the only articles of clothing picked up that are strongly gendered tend to the feminine - a tutu and a ribbon. On the other hand, that may be because the gendering of clothing tends to go one way these days (plenty of women's clothing, but not nearly as many articles that are thought of as inherently masculine), or it may be because the image of a dude in a tutu is supposed to be hilarious, depending on your personal degree of Liberal Progressiveness etc. And since they're just picked up off the ground, I'm surely overanalyzing, and maybe the Cowboy Hat gives them a run for their money.

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 30, 2015, 02:14:35 pm »

The skeleton obviously has no concept of dating tho.
Or maybe he has but it's what a 6 year old would imagine dating to be like :P

And hey canon segments are canon comedic or not. People were doing the same thing with MLP back in the day and they did it with Undertale now.
Not a big suprise really.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 30, 2015, 02:46:00 pm »

I don't really think the game has "clicked" with me yet. I'm just past Mettatons bombs.
...maybe? ... apart from Toriel...
Undyne did make me uncomfortable, though.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 30, 2015, 03:28:55 pm »

I didn't even know this level existed.
Spooky.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 30, 2015, 07:43:47 pm »

So. I sadly have to bring up a topic I find is the most important part of this game.
Not the feels.
Or genocide.
Or pacificist.
Or ANY of the ending.
..But..
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 30, 2015, 08:13:16 pm »

Uh. Is there a term for that?
I personally call it "being above gender roles restrictions (and not just pretending to, while simultaneously trying to enforce them in a different way, a la tumblr)". Congratulations, btw, for achieving full realization that gender roles restrictions are, in a word, bullshit.
._.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 65