Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Massive Chalice Kickstarter  (Read 8160 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Massive Chalice Kickstarter
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 01:45:55 pm »

I wonder how many people complaining about not ever buying Double Fine games again ever even bought DF-9 (or any other of their games) in the first place. *grumble grumble* Spacebase failed, end of story.

This game though, made by a completely different team with a completely different business model (AKA funding 'til 1.0) is actually really really good. The promise of X-COM meets Crusader Kings is totally there. The battles are fun and tactical, getting out without being hit really requires skill and planning on both the immediate stage and the generational breeding/building/research part.

I got my ass handed to me in the first game. I mismanaged my resources, I put way too many heroes in keeps, crucibles and guilds. Then when one of my guilds was invaded, I noticed I had only two heroes capable to fight. Needless to say I lost, everyone in the guild died and the whole area sunk to the corruption. Second game I wasn't much smarter, I had more heroes available, but was way too greedy with setting up my buildings, the invasions were brutal and I wasn't ready.

Now I'm in my third game going on year 120, with 4 strong bloodlines and multiple relics being inherited through them. Even though I managed to make Hunter bloodline where almost everyone is clumsy (-Dex). I'm currently trying to cut that particular branch out of the Voxalis family tree.

I'm not sure how the Steam reviewers complaining about randomness are playing the tactical combat. It really is a game about being sneaky, positioning well and using abilities smartly. I guess they might be the people thinking that 90% shots always hit because the percent is so high.

Man, Massive Chalice really excited me when it was announced. On paper it seems like my ultimate game.

Unfortunately Doublefine has completely sullied its reputation and goodwill, and I am genuinely leery to purchase even a completed Doublefine game at this point.

How is the game worse from a different project that has nothing to do with it?

Sorry for being so snappy, it just baffles me why people are rating a game based on a different games failed business model, instead of say, the actual game's gameplay or anything really having to do with this game? It feels like people are thinking about games as company shares.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:51:12 pm by LASD »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 01:51:57 pm »

DF promised to develop space base to 1.0 too. Instead they just declared 0.3 or something to be 1.0 arbitrarily. I presume they will pull something similar, grab money and run when they find out they promised more than they can deliver.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 01:52:00 pm »

Its the same company, who cares if the dev team or project is different?  I'm sure the Space Base dev team would have prefered to keep going as well.  I think its perfectly okay to avoid a publishers games when they act all scammy.  People SHOULD learn from the past.  Bad dev/publisher behaviour SHOULD have consequences.

Otherwise it just encourages other devs to do the same.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:54:10 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 01:56:55 pm »

Spacebase was a joke and the company is real scummy, so yeah.  Not buying this in early access

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 02:03:42 pm »

Spacebase failed, end of story.
ya bro its the end of story so long as you forget about that 'old school adventure game' too

Sorry for being so snappy, it just baffles me why people are rating a game based on a different games failed business model, instead of say, the actual game's gameplay or anything really having to do with this game?
people don't trust a company when that company has essentially scammed them before, what is baffling here?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:14:49 pm by TripJack »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 02:08:59 pm »

I wonder how many people complaining about not ever buying Double Fine games again ever even bought DF-9 (or any other of their games) in the first place. *grumble grumble* Spacebase failed, end of story.
*raises hand*
Though I haven't exactly complained very hard, admittedly.  That said, has anyone heard anything on the second half of Broken Age?  Anyone?  Anything? :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 02:39:49 pm »

They've got two or three more games to crowdfund and finish prematurely before they start working on it.

Also they need to drink champagne with hookers on the backs of killer whales to celebrate, first.

In all seriousness, this is what an indie dev studio trying to create a catalog of games AAA-style on crowd funded monies looks like. Multiple games in half-finished states of development, the studio constantly trying to push new projects to bring new cash in, projects not making money getting prematurely finished since there's no ROI for them. It's why I won't buy DF games. They've got too many irons in the fire, and they never seem to stop needing more money.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:52:26 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 04:04:45 pm »

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:39:06 pm by penguinofhonor »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 05:25:48 pm »

The game doesn't look like that much, especially for the funding it got.

The gameplay doesn't look original or complex, the graphics aren't impressive, the audio seems good but that's about it. From what I have seen from the levels it seems pretty repetitive as well. I don't think I will Early Access this.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 07:02:50 pm »

*raises hand*
Though I haven't exactly complained very hard, admittedly.  That said, has anyone heard anything on the second half of Broken Age?  Anyone?  Anything? :P

Yes, there is a documentary being shot about it with episodes coming out every few months or so (last one (#17) being literally a month ago) and the devs constantly update on the status of it. The writing is now completely done, VO has been recorded in the last few weeks and they are trying to get the game to beta by Christmas/January. It's a pretty tight schedule, but they are trying to pull it off.

And no, Double Fine is not scammy. It's one of the coolest game companies around who actually try to do new interesting things in the gaming scene. One of these interesting things was trying to develop an Early Access game mostly through funds raised from the Early Access sales. Well, guess what, it didn't work. And they said outright in the beginning that they will be doing the project for as long there's interest and funds. When those ran out, they made the best possible version with what they had available and released the code for people to develop it forwards. This ridiculous Double Fine hate mob built by TotalBiscuit is so infuriating because it seems to be the only thing that people know about Double Fine. How about Amnesia Fortnights? Or all the other games they've successfully shipped? Only this year, they've come out with Hack n' Slash (a Zelda sort-of-game about real hacking that was in EARLY ACCESS), half of Broken Age (an old-school adventure game), Costume Quest 2 (a Halloween-themed japanese-style RPG) and now already quite polished version of Massive Chalice (a strategy game with kingdom and hero building through generations).

So, is Double Fine now tainted forever and needs to go bankrupt? For one project? Anyone have any suggestions what they should do to amend this situation (is not making cool games with a traditional business model enough?) or should they just all quit making games as they are now unworthy of their potential customers?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:24:27 pm by LASD »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 07:25:46 pm »

*raises hand*

Yes, there is a documentary being shot about it with episodes coming out every few months or so (last one (#17) being literally a month ago) and the devs constantly update on the status of it. The writing is now completely done, VO has been recorded in the last few weeks and they are trying to get the game to beta by Christmas/January. It's a pretty tight schedule, but they are trying to pull it off.
Ah.  You see, that would be an amazing thing to put on their website.  Or, you know, their game's website

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 07:44:21 pm »

This ridiculous Double Fine hate mob built by TotalBiscuit

Or maybe people don't want to give their money over to 'early access' to game(s) by a publisher with a track record of not finishing their projects as originally promised?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:56:37 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2014, 08:26:44 pm »

If I spend money on something based on promises of "it'll be awesome in the future! Trust us!", I should be able to expect them to at least try to deliver on their promise, instead of suddenly deciding they don't want to, but that they should keep my money anyways.

Now, if the same people who more or less scammed me make another game with the exact same promise, I think I should have every right to not even consider touching it with a ten foot pole.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 10:47:01 pm »

It's one of the coolest game companies around who actually try to do new interesting things in the gaming scene. One of these interesting things was trying to develop an Early Access game mostly through funds raised from the Early Access sales. Well, guess what, it didn't work. And they said outright in the beginning that they will be doing the project for as long there's interest and funds.

Sounds like an Indie Game Jam that you continue to pay in to, to keep it going. That's not my cup of tea as far as development models, alongside not really being drawn to the look of many of their games. I'd rather give my money to different developers with a strong commitment to their game, than a studio trying to get 4 games made at once and hoping one of them takes off.

That said, I remember seeing MC announced and being interested. A good read of the Steam comments, ignoring the outright attacks on DF, made it sound like it's a wait-and-see EA title.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2014, 02:03:56 am »

The game itself sounds interesting, but I see no point in giving a dime for an unfinished product when the makers have shown their inability to deliver before.

Imagine you pay for a housing project in process. The construction company builds the foundation of the house and a garage. Then they hold a big advertising campaign and a discount sale during a weekend, attracting a lot of new people into the neighborhood. Come Monday, they announce the housing project is finished and give people blueprints, so the neighborhood can build the rest of the houses if they wish.

Then you hear the same company is doing a new housing project, again offering a chance to buy houses while they are being built... Would you jump at the offer? Pfft. It wasn't just the failed game project that turned me off about DF, it was their arrogant way of dealing with it. They held a big discount before cancelling the game, which was straight out dishonest. Before cancelling it, they were reassuring over and over how they will finish the game and not "disappear into the night with your money". Which is exactly what they did.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6