Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Massive Chalice Kickstarter  (Read 8139 times)

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Massive Chalice Kickstarter
« on: June 24, 2013, 11:18:37 am »

I'm surprised there's not a thread on this kickstarter project by the nice people at Double Fine Productions makers of Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, and Iron Brigade. According to the interview video that they did and the write up that they have they want a "rogue-like" permadeath X-COM inspired "... single player turn-based tactics game within a multi-generational strategy campaign built for replayability."

The game is structured into two main layers: strategy and tactics. In the strategy layer, you oversee your kingdom, arrange royal marriages, conduct research, and make the far-reaching decisions that will determine the fate of your legacy.

In the tactics layer, you fight brutal turn-based battles to defend your kingdom using small squads of customizable heroes.

Drawing from roguelikes we love, content is modular and randomized. Each playthrough begins with a random assortment of male and female heroes from various bloodlines, guaranteeing that each game is unique. Your knowledge and skill will increase over multiple playthroughs, but the details of every game will change based on your decisions and the whims of fate.

The bolded part I think is pretty much an indirect shout-out to Dwarf Fortress as it is essentially a medieval-styled roguelike with modular randomized content.

Funding ends on on Thursday Jun 27, 5:00pm EDT.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fines-massive-chalice

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Massive Chalice Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:20:59 am »

I didn't post it because they basically had nothing but some web art. While I don't doubt they can do it, because they have all the monies, I expected more out of them. It sort of felt like a 'cocktail napkin to Kickstarter' design.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:56:43 am »

Also it already appears funded, so... yay? Yay when it comes out, anyway. Maybe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:06:08 pm »

Also it already appears funded, so... yay? Yay when it comes out, anyway. Maybe.

They said they have stretch goals depending on how much funding they receive. Also often investing in the game during the kickstarter phase gives you a copy of the game that is cheaper than buying it when it becomes officially released.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:08:40 pm by Richards »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 12:14:08 pm »

Gods, I hope not in this case. Lowest rung is twenty bucks. I haven't been able to justify that much spending on a single entertainment product in years :-\

Haven't had to, either. Sales are a wonderful thing. If it's as you say, then they're probably aiming to release with the traditional game price point of 50-60 bucks, which is just... sorry :( Can't do it, and I kinda' don't want to support that sales practice anymore. Maybe get it five or six years later when it hits a christmas sale or something and drops down to a buck and a quarter or thereabouts, eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:35:55 pm »

Posted about it in the kickstarter thread down in general discussion.  Mostly cause I didn't want to bother making and hosting a thread.  Was actually gonna put a update on the kickstarter ending 'soon' in a day or two.  At least I don't have to do even that now.

So yea, I already backed this.  So eh.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 12:41:22 pm »

Well... I loved Psychonauts and Double Fine appear to be kickstarter heroes. I'm... tempted to back this.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 12:48:41 pm »

Well... I loved Psychonauts and Double Fine appear to be kickstarter heroes. I'm... tempted to back this.
i dunno we still are waiting for the Double Fine Adventure game......

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 01:40:27 pm »

Remember, caveat emptor, except with Double Fine apparently, because they published games in the past.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 01:53:29 pm »

Remember, caveat emptor, except with Double Fine apparently, because they published games in the past.
I'm pretty sure Inxile did the same with Wasteland 2/Torment.  They have the same explanation, so eh.  Sounds plausible to me.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 01:57:30 pm »

Wow you have no idea how much respect I have for this group JUST for not including stretch goals. It is a huge + for me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 02:12:43 pm »

I backed it and I'm pumped about it.

If it's as you say, then they're probably aiming to release with the traditional game price point of 50-60 bucks, which is just... sorry :( Can't do it, and I kinda' don't want to support that sales practice anymore. Maybe get it five or six years later when it hits a christmas sale or something and drops down to a buck and a quarter or thereabouts, eh.

It's going to be on Steam, so I'd expect it to be on sale for pretty cheap within a year of its release.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 02:32:43 pm »

I really want to know how long this game will take!!! AHHH!

Since I cannot donate through Kickstarter or paypal.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 11:43:29 pm »

I really want to know how long this game will take!!! AHHH!

Since I cannot donate through Kickstarter or paypal.

Estimated delivery September 2014, or August 2014 if you did the $50 tier.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 12:12:18 am »

So I watched their video on how the bloodline mechanics will work and so far it seems they don't have a whole lot down.

I did like their idea that certain demon artifacts can pollute the bloodline but I am surprised they didn't think of having demonblood related perks and quirks (Demon artifacts making them more demonlike over generations with obvious issues). They also didn't seem to grasp the idea of family perks and quirks, but ohh well.

As well limiting classes to a house entirely seems to be rather injurious to the pool as well. Plus a Fighter + Fighter union could be advantageous as well.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with, but I suspect a weakening of their own product. The developers a lot more unsure of their own product then the videos and writing makes it seem. Which is interesting.

Then again, I am very negative and I come up with waaay too many ideas.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:15:22 am by Neonivek »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6