Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Fort Chaincraft and The White Pages. [Succession Rotation game]  (Read 7631 times)

BlackOctoberFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello curious travellers! I, the BlackOctoberFox, invite you to play Dwarf Fortress with me.

If you saw Succession Rotation game in the title and thought, "What's that?", well let me explain. I'm sure you're familiar with the whole concept of a succession game, that is if you've spent any length of time on these forums, or playing Dwarf Fortress.

A Succession Rotation game is quite similar only one little twist. I'm looking for anywhere between 3 and 6 people to participate.

We each take turns controlling the fortress Chaincraft (Uses version 0.34.11, LazyNewb Pack embark.) After a two year period it passes to the next person. Once it reaches the last person, it returns to the first person who controlled it and the cycle begins again.

A few rules:

• All those who participate will be "Dorfed up". If your named Dwarf is killed during your turn, your turn is over and you are (unfortunately) taken out of the cycle for the next person. If it is killed during another player's turn you may claim a second dwarf. If there aren't enough dwarves to go around (which should only happen if the person playing is awful unlucky) then you may claim their dwarf and remove them from the cycle. Just as an incentive NOT to wreck the place.
  • There are to be no roll-backs, so don't intentionally make the fortress unplayable. The embark selected has multiples of both shallow and deep metals, a river, no aquifer, dense woodland e.t.c. so we shouldn't have any challenges when it comes to resources if we play smart. If for some reason the fortress becomes unplayable, it will be abandoned. (Unless there is someone who believes they can stop the chaos.)
  • Use Dwarf Fortress File Depot, or Mediafire to pass on your turn.
  • Write your overseer's diary regularly. We don't need to hear about every fey mood but at least give the next player in line a chance to read up on what has happened. Screenshots are optional but remember a picture is worth a thousand words, that and we won't believe your dwarf killed a dragon with his bare hands unless you can provide actual evidence  ;)
  • Each player has to complete two years before passing on the fortress. To keep people interested there are time constraints. When it is your turn the previous player must message you, you have a week to reply and download the file. There is then a further 10 days allowed to complete the two years (might I suggest you use at least 60FPS?) If the 2 years aren't completed in that time, either due to cpu limitations, real life getting in the way, or just simply laziness, upload what you have and pass it on, but keep in mind you will NOT be allowed to return to the cycle unless I say so.
  • There are no skill restrictions. I still don't have a clue as to what I'm doing 50% of the time in this game, but that's all part of the !!Fun!! Be it a pro or a newb, anyone is welcome! Just remember to help each other, tell the next overseer what should/could be done, make suggestions as to the future of the fortress. I want this place to last as long as possible.

TL:DR Don't be stupid, and don't take forever with your turn!

I know, I know that's a lot of rules, but it should weed out the problems other succession games have when it comes to unreliable players (damn you education/work?!), so simply post a reply if you want to join. If there isn't any space left, don't loose heart, a space may become available. Hell even mine might open up if I get a job.

Current Rotation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Current Turn:

Famous/Funny Quotes:

Notable Achievements:

Due to Character limitations of messages, (40000) journal entries shall be stored by me on a .rtf file, compiled into one massive journal complete with pictures where available, and will hopefully be compiled into a .pdf for people to read. That is why the first few turns are missing.

Turn 3: Mouseshy

Turn 4: DarkArtemisFowl

Turn 5: Exodius1

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:42:54 pm by BlackOctoberFox »
We killed her! All of her stuff are belong to us.
It's a Dinosaur/ _) "Rawr!"
        _/\/\/\_/ /
    _|             /
  _|    (  |  (  |
 /__.-'|_|--|_|

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Chaincraft and The White Pages. [Succession Rotation game]
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:17:46 am »

I'm in. Do I have to say something more?

Also, when the fortress is "unplayable"? Is it just in the case of FPS death or is there other situations also?

BlackOctoberFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:56:18 am »

By unplayable I mean where the fortress is either suffering from FPS issues, or is in such a state that it's FUBAR headed towards an inevitable demise (for example an out of control lava flood). It's generally open to public opinion and a majority vote. Just as a fortress can be abandoned, players may abandon the cycle and pass it on to the whomever else would dare try. As long as one person says "I'll give it a go," the fortress will carry on. If it is the opinion of majority (75%) of those in the cycle that the fortress is beyond saving, that is when it shall be abandoned. Those who wish to continue playing may instead start a new fortress in the same world if they so desire, and all of the saved states will be available for download for those wanting to see if they can "Win" so to speak. If the Fortress is completely wiped out in someone's go, then the Succession Rotation game is over.
        _/\/\/\_/ /
    _|             /
  _|    (  |  (  |
 /__.-'|_|--|_|

Mouseshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 12:23:41 pm »

I would like to join. I think I can avoid driving the fortress into the ground.

BlackOctoberFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 12:25:34 pm »

Oh hey Mouseshy! Yeah guess I can trust you, YOU didn't nearly destroy Shakecloistered...
        _/\/\/\_/ /
    _|             /
  _|    (  |  (  |
 /__.-'|_|--|_|

Mouseshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 01:14:25 pm »

Pfft..you barely killed off a quarter of the dwarves. I'd hardly call that destroyed.

BlackOctoberFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 09:51:22 am »

I'm currently in Summer of the second year. Got relatives visiting today so I'll be finishing second year tomorrow. It looks pretty good so far, it's not the best and it's sure as hell isn't the most efficient fortress but it's surviving. Some things for the next overseer to take care of though:

So far we have basically nothing in the way of military. I don't understand how it works just yet, so if you could be a dear and fix that for me, that'd be great.

A fair number of idlers and children. Safe to say Dwarf Therapist needs to overhaul the labours. I've tried to fix it but it just looks a bit of a mess.

Food is a big issue. There isn't much in the way of hunting and the area is already fished out. I've bought enough food to last at least until the end of spring, provided the farmers keep doing their work, but we need more animals. We have a cow so maybe cheese is an option. Again I don't know how to do this just yet (I'm still learning.)

It's possible that I won't be able to move the dining area to the big hall I've been designing downstairs (I like me a grand hall). Don't worry Mouseshy, I haven't been going mad with smoothing stone so we shouldn't be getting destroyed by megabeasts. I've learnt from Shakecloistered.

Defences. So far we have a drawbridge that can completely seal off the only entrance. I have started to build a second entrance to connect to the butcher's and fishery workshops, just in case we get more animal. I think it'd be best if this alternate entrance be filled with traps, with the option to seal it up as well.

The dorm in the clay layer I've built could do with expansion, as well as more bedrooms to be built on the living/dining level. We also need a couple more offices and the start of a hospital. Unsurprisingly, I don't know how the medical aspect works just yet either.

So that's the to-do list. As for what I'm going to do for the rest of the year. Build up a large wood stockpile and expand outdoor farms. Start smelting all of the tetrahedrite and magnetite to make copper, iron and maybe silver bars. I may also make billon bars. With the metal I'm going to make a lot of armor, picks and axes for our military, woodcutters and miners. Oh and try to avoid killing everything. That's a must.
        _/\/\/\_/ /
    _|             /
  _|    (  |  (  |
 /__.-'|_|--|_|

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 01:15:39 pm »

I don't think we really need copper if we have iron. Do we have a flux stone?

Make some iron armor and weapons if you can, I'll try to get military running at my turn.

BlackOctoberFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 02:50:42 pm »

I believe the embark said we have flux stone, though I have yet to find it.
        _/\/\/\_/ /
    _|             /
  _|    (  |  (  |
 /__.-'|_|--|_|

BlackOctoberFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 05:45:31 pm »

By the gods I need to sleep... I'll finish up Autumn but then I'm going to bed. The food situation isn't improving much but we seem to be stable. I don't want to slaughter animals until we have a fair number that can breed.
        _/\/\/\_/ /
    _|             /
  _|    (  |  (  |
 /__.-'|_|--|_|

BlackOctoberFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 03:25:05 pm »

Overseer's diary, sans pictures, has been uploaded.
        _/\/\/\_/ /
    _|             /
  _|    (  |  (  |
 /__.-'|_|--|_|

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 03:40:14 pm »

Count me in. This'll be my second succession game, both of which I barely started :D .
Let's see how dorfy we can get with this fortress.

BlackOctoberFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 06:04:26 am »

Okay you're in, just read the rules again though. Mataro seems to have forgotten them as it's their turn and they haven't messaged me yet to say they've started. You'll be after Mouseshy.
        _/\/\/\_/ /
    _|             /
  _|    (  |  (  |
 /__.-'|_|--|_|

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 12:58:48 pm »

Ok, I downloaded the save. The fortress is a surprisingly small for being a home of 127 dwarves. You'll get an update soon.

EDIT:

Can I post the updates (diaries + pics) to this thread, or do I have to send them to you first, BlackFox?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:02:54 pm by Matoro »

BlackOctoberFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 02:42:16 pm »

Put them in the thread and I'll quote them, or just stick them into the .zip file when you're done, I'll download it and add the report. DFFD is still giving me issues, it won't let me upload pictures for whatever reason so I may end up using a Tumblr page or something. And I realize the fortress is quite small in retrospect but hey, all (or most) of the dwarves have a bed, there are plenty of tables, chairs, food and alcohol, so they can't really complain that much.
        _/\/\/\_/ /
    _|             /
  _|    (  |  (  |
 /__.-'|_|--|_|
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6