Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thunder and Ashes - OOC: Community Check. Players Check. Leader...uh Volunteers?  (Read 2259 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

I don't know about you but im somewhat irked by the fact that most Media dealing with Zombie Apocalypses are only caring about groups of 5 or 6 survivors hunkered up in some mall/fortress/house whatever. They deal with the first days and months of the Apocalypse and never with what comes after.

What happens for example one year after teh Apocalypse? After the Supplies have dwindled and you cant rely on scavenging anymore. What about the former Goverments? Wouldn't the Survivors sooner or later form communities? And then what? I know very few Books and not a Single Movie who deals with something like that.

Anyhow in this Game you the Players are members of a Community of Survivors One Year after the Initial Outbreak. All manner of Organized Government has broken down, Supplies are running low, but Humanity is still alive. First Communities have formed but still millions of people are wandering the ruins of our Civilization.

Zombies come in two varieties, Sprinters are the First Stage of the Infection with the Virus (think 28 Days Later), the Zombies are fast hunt in packs and are in fact still alive. While they feel no pain they can still be killed very mundanely although they will still fight on far longer than a human being would. Since they need to feed to sustain themselves there are not very many of those remaining, they make up roughly a Quarter of the Infected, tendency falling.

The Other Kind are the Shamblers, your Garden variety Walking Dead Zombie. When A Stage-1 Zombie gets killed it takes roughly 4 hours till the virus has managed to reaquire control over the brain, at which point it goes from "autopilot" into "manual". Since the brain does only work through direct control by the virus the Zombies are slow and brainless. They can't learn and they aren't human anymore. You can kill them only through shooting them in the head.

But Zombies will only be one of your problems, the real difficulty begins at your own community and at other Human Communities. After One Year, Gas Reserves are running low, as is ammunition and in some Countries there were so few guns that they have long since begun to use Medieval Weaponry.
Food, Water and Medicine cannot be scavenged anymore in any large quantities since most is used up.

And here you are Leader of your Little Community.
Okay next the Sing-Up Sheets. First of all we need the community. Due to Sanity Reasons i will only accept one so give it your best, the most Descriptive/Interesting One wins.
EDIT: we already have a Community but if you feel in the mood you can suggest them anyway and they make an appearance in the game.

Name of your Community: Obvious
Origin: Are you the Remnants of a Pre-Downfall Government? Are you a Ragtag Group of Survivors? a Rich Private Man who gained his loyal family and workers before the apocalypse and now resurfaces somewhere? A Group of Raiders and Bandits? A Government Organization tasked with rescuing as many Survivors as Possible and now without any further Orders? Remnants of some Former Military? The Possibilities are endless
Current Location: Where did you settle down? Different Places in the World may have different obstacles to deal with (Cold Winters, Harsh Summers, Increased Populations of Infected, Small Population etc.pp.)
Form of Goverment: Who the hell is even in Charge? Obviously the Remnant Government fo the US will not suddenly go Monarchic but i think you get the gist.
Policies: How do you Deal with Outsiders? How with Zombies? What happens if somebody is Bitten? Law and Order? Caste Systems? Generally how your Community has been run so far
Backstory: General Reasoning how your community did end up where it ended up.

Okay now that we got the Government, we come to the Characters. Depending on your Choice of Governmental Form and the Build-Up of your Community a veriety of Positions will open up:

Name:

Position inside the Community: (leave that line out if you are an Outsider)
Description:
Backstory:
Skills: You can use up 3 Points in that regard.  One Point is used to be a Leader of a Government/Somebody with Power inside the Government. Groups of Survivors/Soldiers under your command each cost one point. A Single Point gives you a +1 in a certain Skill. You can Upgrade a Skill to +2 maximum.

If you submit a Community or submit a Character tailored towards a Community remember to prepare an backup-character in case it isn't chosen.

Gameplay will be pretty much similiar to You are King and You are Lord in other words most things will be decided via a simple d6 roll.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:37:19 am by Ghazkull »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Thunder and Ashes - Sign-Ups and OOC
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:44:38 am »

Name of your Community: Triton's Rest
Origin: The Community was not originally meant to be a place of survival-it was meant to be a warship. An old, outdated aircraft carrier-the U.S.S Triton-was ordered by her captain to assist rescue efforts all along the coast. For a time, they did so, dispatching air support and carrying as many civilians as they could from the mainland-later, they helped in the widespread firebombing in a desperate effort to stop the rampaging undead. Then things got worse. Orders stopped coming, as did supplies-food, water, ammunition, and fuel. The Triton was burdened with almost ten times it's maximum capacity for passengers, and tempers quickly flared. Captain Jones, with little recourse, beached his vessel furthest from any known infection zone and jumped ship with a few of his hand picked crew. Leaving those refugees left, to settle on their own. The ship was stripped for parts and supplies, and most people fled as well, leaving only a rusted hulk and those too weak or perhaps too stubborn to leave.
Current Location: The Triton is currently beached in a far Southern area-winters are short and bitter, summers long and grueling, though spring is usually nice. The land around is barely arable, mostly swamp flats and salt marshes. It's dangerous, smelly and difficult to move around in. Most inhabitants around here live-or lived-in small communities or by themselves, most of which faired better than most in the apocalypse. A large main road leads a great many miles to a large metropolitan city, and it seems more and more infected are walking down the strip every day. The largest infected area is a small airport to the north of Triton, where a mass of refugees and army personnel were overrun awaiting rescue-they're mostly sedentary, but no one has really riled them up yet.
Form of Government: Triton's Rest is more or less run by those military who stayed behind, and while their leader isn't calling himself a Warlord, that's exactly what he is. He delegates orders to five lessers, who in turn run day to day affairs and control the loyalties of a fair amount of soldiers. This is a hotbed of tempting intrigue and near constant betrayal, and most consider it eventual that the decks will run red with blood. Triton may very well destroy itself from the inside out.
Policies: To other, triton's Rest seems to take more than than trade-there's not alot of resources to go around here, and while they will attempt modest diplomacy, it's usually just to cover troop movements. They don't kill more than absorb, though, sometimes by force. Conscription whomever they need from the local population has become secondhand, and cause a great deal of resentment. With the infected, Triton is perhaps rare in that they don't antagonize them-they will be killed if crossing a certain threshold, but no direct attacks have ever taken place. Their official plan is to 'wait it out', until the undead rot into nothing or command and control is re-established. This might change if their seemingly safe haven is ever truly threatened.

It's people tend to have no rights, nor do they expect any. Law and order, what it is, is enforced brutally-no murder, no robbery, no violence, no infection of any kind is allowed on the ship. Lawbreakers tend to be hung over the ships railing on nooses. People are otherwise free to come and go as they please, assuming they pay their dues. People tend to fall into three categories-soldiers, those who cater to the soldiers, and the technical types, who run the ship or grow crops

Backstory: The Triton is more or less a fortress. Though it's no longer able to sail (despite the ideas of some the whackier crew) it's built strong, and the high deck and armored hull walls keep wandering undead and snooping humans away. Affordable space for bunks and supplies, along with some built in amenities-lights, refrigerators, kitchens-make living here a peach...as long as they can power them. They've resorted to only running certain parts of the ship and only when needed, but fuel is scarce and the crew quickly turned to 'opportunistic scavenging' to feed the behemoth. Some might say the whole thing is a bit of a waste of resources for the amount of people that can live here, but those who stayed were stubborn, and for many it's the only home they have anymore. Four walls and a roof is a damn good reason to dig in...but they've only gotten more aggressive as time goes on, and attracted more attention-rumors of the 'treasure ship' loaded to fore with supplies, it's crew living like kings have spread for miles and leagues. It's only a matter of time till the castle gets sieged, but will they be ready for it?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:51:01 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:08:50 am »

Nevermind, I support Dwarmin's suggestion.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:51:12 am by Chink »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 11:19:51 am »

I am PTWing this one.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:20:49 am »

Spoiler: Community (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:49:48 am by 10ebbor10 »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 11:41:36 am »

Really want to join.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 11:40:56 pm »

I was hoping this would be the players playing individuals in the community...

...but will still participate. Posting to play later, I suppose.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 02:38:38 am »

I was hoping this would be the players playing individuals in the community...

...but will still participate. Posting to play later, I suppose.
Uhm, unless I'm mistaken, that is the case. We're now offering multiple suggestion for 1 community.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 10:36:34 am »

Yup players will be playing Individuals within the Community. Both seem Quite intriguing.

Dwarmin can i get a specific Position of your Community? Im scouring Wikipedia and a World Map for propable positions but im finding no island matching your description :P

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 10:52:11 am »

Name: Joshua Moore.
Position inside the Community: The one that still scavenges for items of use (Scavenger.   Yes, this is just a character, because I cannot think of a backstory for a community.  Also, position for any community.)
Description: A relatively tall man with black hair, he normally wears cargo shorts or jeans along with a t-shirt or a hoodie respectively.
Backstory: Always the optimist, Joshua was one of the people to believe that the Government would do something.    Boy he was wrong, fortunately he was also the type to keep a 9mm pistol in his bedside dresser, and as such he was one of the first survivors to kill a shambler.
Skills: (No clue what to put here, so RPG SKILL LEVELS GO!)   Sidearms level 1, Stamina level 1, (Perk because backstory.) Perk: Optimist.
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 10:55:02 am »

Yup players will be playing Individuals within the Community. Both seem Quite intriguing.

Dwarmin can i get a specific Position of your Community? Im scouring Wikipedia and a World Map for propable positions but im finding no island matching your description :P
He didn't say Island. Sounds like Chilean Patagonia, or New Zealand to me.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 10:57:57 am »

yup pretty much Tierra del Fuego after looking up Wikipedia for continental places...am i roughly right with that?

Mrnocamera i'd suggest another Perk then Optimist, simply since i have no idea what bonuses to give for that :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:02:56 am by Ghazkull »

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 11:25:00 am »

Mrnocamera i'd suggest another Perk then Optimist, simply since i have no idea what bonuses to give for that :P

(Yay, laptop decided to shit itself, so phonemode GO!)
Just less moral loss or something.

If no moral system, then either Strategy level 1, or Perk: Level headed.
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 11:38:50 am »

Name of the Community: The House
Origin: The Community was formed as people flocked to the Local Megachurch in search of spiritual and physical refuge. It turned out it become their home, waiting for further apocalypse, and began building a corral to keep out Zeds and worship God safely. They later joined like-minded organizations into a meta-organization named the "Congress".
Current Location: The House is deep inside the Bible Belt.
Form of Government: The House retains much of the church structure, as such they become practically a theocracy. Effectively, they work like a monastery, with the Priest giving orders and daily blessings to commoners in the Great Hall of Worship, and former Church officials shaping general policy and administration. They are also ultimately subordinate to the Congress, which hold meetings from time to time over the radio, but so far they don't have a common legal code, and local affairs are kept local.

Policies: The Congress is very dogmatic on the issue of zombies, and viewed all the results of the apocalypse as divine punishment, as such they had the worst mix of xenophobia and Jingoism.
Foreign Affairs: They know the existence of other organizations other than the Congress, but believe their policies are all ultimately flawed, and entrance usually only comes after submission - at least to another Congress-aligned community. Trauma brings the worst kind of Jingoism and Xenophobia after all.
Local Laws: The House has a rather long list of rules, centered on worship and collective security. Privacy is non-existent and seen as the product of a bygone era. By principle, though, there are no gun laws.
Zombism: As they see zombism as a curse rather than a disease, they will generally delay any kind of punishment unless there is clear sign of it, and the punishment is universally burning at the stake.
Caste System: The House retains most of the Church Structure, but as people are dying at a steady rate people are drafted into the bureaucracy.
Other Quirks: Strangely, they believed that reproduction is the key to long-term survival, and goes to even specify tangible benefits for bearing children. Mandating intercourse between married couples were mooted repeatedly but thrown out quickly; it might change though.
Out of necessity, however, the kids are collectively raised, and as for now they don't have a plan to arrange relationships between them.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 10:13:35 pm »

Yup players will be playing Individuals within the Community.
Oh. I thought this was a suggestion game. I'll make a character.

Spoiler: Glen I. Head (click to show/hide)
Acceptable?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2