Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 518599 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #3780 on: April 23, 2014, 03:12:50 pm »

I know occulentibus can reliably kill them, but occulentibus can reliably kill most things, even on accident.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: April 23, 2014, 04:07:03 pm »

Yeah, petrifying gaze is kinda cheating :P I'm going to see how one fares against a lava dragon, then run through the list and see which other subspecies sound threatening.

EDIT: Okay, lava dragon = mutual annihilation. The blekk ripped the dragon's wrist off and caused the dragon to bleed out a few steps before it was burned to a crisp. Too close to accurately call, more tests doing.

EDIT2: Science has been conducted.

In total, fifteen trials were conducted where the first male entry in the list of Adder's Magma Dragon was pitted against a male panserblekk. Distance between the combatants at start was held constant at four (4) tiles. All tests were conducted on level ground with several z-levels of open air above, and at the end of each trial not resulting in the deaths of both combatants, the victor was euthanized via obsidian encasement or, in one case, isolated by being sealed in a tunnel after managing to flee, and in another case via death by Giant Squid. Environmental hazards such as water and magma were kept away from combatant pairs to avoid giving the flight-capable dragons an unfair advantage.

The results recorded were as follows:
  • Out of fifteen (15) trials, the Panserblekk outright won only a single (1) trial, victory being defined as "not bleeding out within ten seconds of the opponent".
  • Out of fifteen trials, Adder's Magma Dragon outright won six (6) matches, although one was very close (Victor condition summarized thus: "His head is smashed open. His skull is broken.").
  • Out of fifteen trials, a draw resulted in eight (8.) matches, with both combatants dying within ten seconds of each other.
  • Out of those eight trials, all eight saw the dragon dying first, and could conceivably be counted as Panserblekk wins.

The dragon won 40% of the matches, the Panserblekk 6.7%, and a draw favorable to the blekk resulted 53.3% of the time.

Based on this data, I would conclude that a magma dragon can mostly hold its own against a panserblekk, winning outright 40% of the time. However, if the draws are counted as Panserblekk victories, the Panserblekk would appear to be more than a match for Adder's Magma Dragon, winning 60% of all battles fought. Terrain would have an impact, of course - blekks might win more in the tunnels, or at least force mutual death - and if the dragon was canny and simply flew out of the blekk's range, its fireballs would make short work of the beast. Under arena conditions though, they're pretty evenly matched.

So yeah, science supports that Panserblekks are like flightless dragons that come in herds. That one Panserblekk victory, by the way? It was because the dragon missed its opening fireball and the blekk eviscerated it before it could lob a second :) Pleasant creatures!

EDIT3: And whoever made the Wailing Maid creature, or the creature that's a caste of, that thing seems to be very effective at killing Panserblekks in large groups. The blekk literally froze to death just trying to kill them all - its lungs went to ice and it suffocated. Impressive.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:50:31 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: April 23, 2014, 09:35:23 pm »

So... i know the dirigible antelope explode gas when the sac is hit..
Can i do the same thing with blood?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: April 23, 2014, 10:22:58 pm »

So... i know the dirigible antelope explode gas when the sac is hit..
Can i do the same thing with blood?

Yes, though it wouldn't be exactly the same as the blood in the creature.

It could be the exact same material, but the properties would be slightly different, as it would act as a tissue would, and would have no bearing on the base blood within the body.

There may be an issue with the blood tissue bleeding. Though setting the tissue's vascular to zero will keep that from happening.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: April 24, 2014, 07:34:11 am »

So it does work though. Sorta.
Thats all i wanted to know

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: April 24, 2014, 11:58:33 am »

Great. Panserblekk are the elephant to the Treelord's carp. And Panserblekk, being herd creatures, would win the draws if spawned in appropriate numbers. Oh well, real life has overpowered creatures too. We might as well leave them as they are.

What are the Wailing Maids exactly? I thought they were made by the same guy who made the elements of balance.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: April 24, 2014, 07:34:01 pm »

I just read the entire thread and... Wow. This is awesome. I came up with a bunch of things to add, but then I remembered I don't know how to mod. At all. Oh well, I'll defenately be following this.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: April 24, 2014, 07:51:29 pm »

I just read the entire thread and... Wow. This is awesome. I came up with a bunch of things to add, but then I remembered I don't know how to mod. At all. Oh well, I'll defenately be following this.

Try it anyways! The wiki's got lists and explanations of usage for every token, and past that we've kinda gotten used to debugging things in this thread :D I didn't know how to mod except for a hazy, foggy notion in the beginning anyways, and I still managed to contribute a good chunk. Hands-on is the best way to learn.

And on an unrelated note, I'm starting to tinker with inorganic, crystalline and rock lifeforms to further populate the underground and surface. Materials testing progresses nicely; I have a few ideas for some...fun...critters. Hopefully, magma can be used as a blood material in the same way water can be milkable.

EDIT: Looked back into the past and spotted my personal megabeast, the Sleeper in the Dark, which never seems to have made it in-game  :-\ I'll include it when I upload some inorganic critters.

EDIT2 IDEA: Oh God, I'm laughing. We've got all these weird fusions of animals - seaigos and such - and nobody thought to fuse an electric eel and a sheep? An Electric Sheep? Since my conception of inorganic life is sorta like androids, we should really have some electric sheep for them to dream of!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:15:16 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: April 24, 2014, 08:38:41 pm »

Speaking of fusions, I've always wanted a squirreel.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: April 25, 2014, 05:23:58 am »

Would that have the head of an eel (eels have a second pair of jaws inside their heads), body and limbs of a squirrel and a hagfish's electric organs inside a squirrel's tail?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: April 25, 2014, 02:35:57 pm »

I'm thinking of joining with no context, for the hilarity. Before I actually do so, do you have any coded demons? Creatures (especially terrifying ones) are my specialty.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: April 25, 2014, 02:43:22 pm »

I'm thinking of joining with no context, for the hilarity. Before I actually do so, do you have any coded demons? Creatures (especially terrifying ones) are my specialty.

Off the top of my head I know there are shadows in the HFS. I could do a quick look through the repository though.

E: There's also a Hell Dragon. There's a dragon just about everywhere, so it's no surprise. That's all I found for now.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:53:51 pm by BlackFlyme »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: April 25, 2014, 02:57:12 pm »

Sweet, put me down for a modding turn.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: April 25, 2014, 03:15:41 pm »

Yes. Thats pretty much exactly what a squirreel would be.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: April 26, 2014, 06:43:12 pm »

I feel like a mod like this has to have a phallic shaped monster for a megabeast.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 261