Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 518726 times)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1965 on: September 11, 2013, 04:18:10 pm »

Hey Halfling, you still working on those Zerg-like creatures?

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: September 11, 2013, 05:21:09 pm »

Yeah, those would be awesome to see. They'll function very differently from the Formics, too, so it wouldn't be too redundant to include them.

Also for some reason I'm now imagining TLO, Scarlett or Jaedong playing DF. Think about the APM one could achieve in unpaused DF! *is totally derailing, sorry will stop*

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: September 11, 2013, 06:45:18 pm »

Is it ridiculous that a Formic warrior in adventure mode can bite peoples heads off with no biting skill?

By "people" I mean Spider-Centaurs. Wresting with your mandibles and using "shake" is very effective.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: September 11, 2013, 06:47:09 pm »

Spider centaurs seem a bit doughy in general. Sure, they're mean, but they seem a bit susceptible to dismemberment.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: September 11, 2013, 08:48:22 pm »

Well, they are intended for ranged combat, like halflings. Keep in mind they're not humans+giant spiders, they're halflings plus giant spiders, minus the intelligence needed to weaponize pebbles and plus a vicious streak that would make a goblin cringe.

Additionally, formic soldiers are purpose-bred killing machines that (I think) outmass spider-centaurs, are covered in natural armor, can enter martial trances, and in general are designed for the express purpose of messing other things up. Against a halfling, a spider-centaur - particularly a Brute - is dangerous; against a Formic soldier, a spider-centaur brute would have difficulty. It's like putting a Sherman Tank up against a Greek Phalanx, matching a soldier against a spiderling.

So, short answer: nope, not ridiculous at all :D They're pretty balanced from what I've seen in my trials - six soldiers versus a reaver ant swarm ended with a reaver victory, and trying to gnaw the face off a bandit moth is highly inadvisable at best. Spiderlings are squishy softskins over half their body, so some lack of durability is to be expected.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: September 11, 2013, 09:26:24 pm »

I have a question about Formics.

If you don't get a breeding pair as part of your starting seven, do migrant waves offset the low lifespan of your Fromics?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: September 11, 2013, 09:52:29 pm »

Well, they are intended for ranged combat, like halflings. Keep in mind they're not humans+giant spiders, they're halflings plus giant spiders, minus the intelligence needed to weaponize pebbles and plus a vicious streak that would make a goblin cringe.

Additionally, formic soldiers are purpose-bred killing machines that (I think) outmass spider-centaurs, are covered in natural armor, can enter martial trances, and in general are designed for the express purpose of messing other things up. Against a halfling, a spider-centaur - particularly a Brute - is dangerous; against a Formic soldier, a spider-centaur brute would have difficulty. It's like putting a Sherman Tank up against a Greek Phalanx, matching a soldier against a spiderling.

So, short answer: nope, not ridiculous at all :D They're pretty balanced from what I've seen in my trials - six soldiers versus a reaver ant swarm ended with a reaver victory, and trying to gnaw the face off a bandit moth is highly inadvisable at best. Spiderlings are squishy softskins over half their body, so some lack of durability is to be expected.
'

Hey, I'm not complaining. It's a good thing to have the most hostile race be relatively mortal.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:15:12 pm by HugoLuman »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: September 11, 2013, 10:11:59 pm »

Not at this time. I'm not consciously working on anything except studies and some other real life things.

If someone wants to take over their development, pm me. I'll share all findings. Else they'll come eventually, or not. I agree they would be cool to have finished.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: September 12, 2013, 11:08:56 am »

Made one turn page, it isn't done yet but I figure I should get some thoughts before doing the grueling process of finding the rest: Is this layout alright or should it focus less on the modder and more on the content? Obviously a general description of the turn is still needed. I'm worried this layout may be a pain when it comes to the larger (content wise) turns. So in general, what do you think needs to be removed, added, changed, fixed, ect?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:35:58 am by Cain12 »

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: September 12, 2013, 04:47:09 pm »

I'm thinking they should focus on listing the content made by the modder, as well as summarizing what was accomplished in the turn. Individual pages for creatures and plants and such are there to focus on the content.

So, summary, then main content list, and then maybe a list of other notable contributions (ideas eventually implemented, that sort of thing).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:48:40 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: September 12, 2013, 06:07:11 pm »

Anyone think we should go back and add [CREATURE_CLASS:X] to female castes and [CREATURE_CLASS:Y] to male ones so we can have gender-specific interactions?

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: September 12, 2013, 06:53:47 pm »

I like it but we need at least a majority to change other peoples stuff.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: September 12, 2013, 06:54:38 pm »

It's just be a find+replace [MALE] with [MALE][CREATURE_CLASS:Y] and [FEMALE] with [FEMALE][CREATURE_CLASS:X]

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: September 12, 2013, 07:13:49 pm »

Feel free to do it to the insects, you've got my support for it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: September 12, 2013, 07:49:41 pm »

And for all my critters.

Who's got all the files right now?
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 261