Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 518782 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1905 on: September 09, 2013, 04:42:29 am »

The newest version will now be called "current" in the versions list. Added some more information on how to add pages to the Shoutwiki first page.

About the Wikis still, preparing for a week possibly without much Internet...

What is going to matter is contribution more than design. So I've decided to put all three in the first post. Whichever gets seeded properly with content in a reasonable amount of time "wins" and the rest are eliminated (from the post) to reduce duplicated effort.

I'm putting them in as

Wiki projects (work in progress - please contribute):
WikiAdmins
http://dfscratch.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_PageZanzetkuken, Gnorm
http://df-from-scratch.wikia.com/wiki/DF_from_Scratch_WikiZanzetkuken
http://dffd.wikia.com/wiki/DFFD_WikiGnorm
Whichever wiki gets the most contribution will be officially recommended later.

I'm giving you free reign to make them work if that wasn't obvious (the Wiki initiative wasn't mine to begin with). Edit the main page, navigation, categories etc. as you think is best. Add more admins if you need too.

In response to Gnorm's comment above about the Shoutwiki being more dev-focused, well, I feel like this thread is not doing that good of a job of collecting contributions and bug reports. Sure they're here, but when you need to go back to one to actually implement it, figure out if it was added, or look at it for reference or to re-implement it, your choices are to either try to guesstimate which page it is on and browse (a royal pain) or try to remember the exact words of the report for a search (very inconvenient). Having tried that first hand I believe that's a major reason why suggestions and bug reports don't make it to the raws as fast or often as they should. Not good at all.

So I think it would be really good to have that modding interface somewhere and have information for people on how to use it. Tuck it in an easily accessible "modding portal" if it's intimidating.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: September 09, 2013, 08:14:43 am »

In order:
I just downloaded this.

Anything in particular I should watch out for?

Everything that moves. Even some of the things that don't, in the case of tarnish stalks, but especially watch out for the swarming insects like vespulae. Do vermin bite adventurers? If they do, watch out for mosquitoe swarms in savage swamps, too. This is not a world conducive to peaceful frolicking in the wilderness.

Is it just me, or do Spider-Centaurs have a low tolerance for pain?

Everything has a low tolerance for pain if you inflict enough of it :) And I'd say, playing as an archer, you are likely inflicting a lot of it. Having a two-foot-long shaft of metal forcibly embedded in an internal organ isn't something you should realistically be able to shrug off, unless you're Boromir, and even he could really only take two before being incapacitated.

The Lumberyard won't work, it wants "apple tree plant logs", I already have apple wood logs for some reason. Golden Mamaphints are still are called "Goldan Mamaphints", I had the option of bringing coal gems on embark, and all cloth is called "cloth cloth".

Halflings don't have quivers, is that a bug?

And one last note about the grass...why is it moving? It looks terrible.

Cloth is cloth cloth due to some quirks of how we named materials. Halflings do have quivers, or at least they did when I checked; where were you trying to find a quiver for them?

And lastly, tall grass is moving and wavy because tall grass blows in the wind. I think it looks better than boring stubby grass that just sits there like a fine dusting of commas and periods. Different tastes :)
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: September 09, 2013, 10:35:38 am »

What about Panserblekks?

EDIT: Seriously, I didn't get the chance to test them much.
Just to be wary of them, Lost every adventure that dared to fight one so far.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: September 09, 2013, 12:08:24 pm »

Huh. I'll observe my Lumberjacks more closely.

Two things I noticed on embark.

You can't embark with quivers.

You can't give your Halflings any skill in Fish Cleaning.

Not that fishing is viable with those damn river squids around...my fisher won't go near them.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: September 09, 2013, 12:23:38 pm »

Sorry about the squids. They shouldn't be too dangerous, but evidently they're big enough to spook halflings.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: September 09, 2013, 12:29:16 pm »

On the other hand, my Halflings seem to like throwing rocks at cuttlers when they get too close.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: September 09, 2013, 12:31:07 pm »

Well that's just mean  :( Cuttlers never hurt anyone! Or did they?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: September 09, 2013, 02:22:29 pm »

They have hurt some of my halflings. Or atleast I think it was them.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: September 09, 2013, 02:24:27 pm »

This requires more testing. They're very small, and don't have any tokens to make them aggressive.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: September 09, 2013, 02:28:31 pm »

My swamp has a few crawling around.

They haven't struck back at my meanie Halflings yet though.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: September 09, 2013, 03:30:47 pm »

Halflings throw rocks at things that scare them. The A.I. is afraid of almost everything (not a bad Idea in this mod  :P). Therefore Halflings attempt to stone all the wild life. I've had them snipe river squids from the bank before. They attack any thing that isn't live stock or a member of a friendly civ, its like they are aggressively pastoral, remaking the world into a facsimile of the English country side at all costs.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: September 09, 2013, 03:33:06 pm »

Not very successfully, though.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: September 09, 2013, 03:44:43 pm »

I like that mental image  :P

Mamaphint bugs added to http://dfscratch.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Category:Bugs-Investigating  , with fixes. Via cell phone. Ugh...

These aren't really new issues except the politics. I hope having them there might get the fixes in some day - please look there occasionally. Can't post exact raw code changes there because no computer internet.

Also, anyone else, feel free to add your pet peeves there too (and suggestions in the similar category). I plan to ask people finishing their turn/saying they're out of ideas to have a look at these.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: September 09, 2013, 03:49:57 pm »

By the way, I found a mostly abandoned town in adventure mode.

The big kind. With a keep and everything. The only sign of life was the keep itself. It had the usual guards and priest with a funny name.

They don't build tombs or have a proper leader though.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:51:30 pm by Vgray »

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: September 09, 2013, 04:11:08 pm »

Halflings throw rocks at things that scare them. The A.I. is afraid of almost everything (not a bad Idea in this mod  :P). Therefore Halflings attempt to stone all the wild life. I've had them snipe river squids from the bank before. They attack any thing that isn't live stock or a member of a friendly civ, its like they are aggressively pastoral, remaking the world into a facsimile of the English country side at all costs.

From your description of the halfling aggression, I couldn't help but think of the shadowmoor version of kithkin, particularly http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=158695 and http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=158690, though I imagine they're more like the nicer Lorwyn kithkin when not throwing rocks.

For some reason I imagine halflings as diplomatic, acquiescent, yet crafty and best-not-messed-with in good mood (think villagers who trick bandits into leaving their town un-pillaged, perhaps by making it seem abandoned or haunted or other somewhat peaceful scare tactics) , while being mildly paranoid, reclusive, and territorial as their mood decreases until they go mad and try to kill anyone who looks at them funny (think villagers who in response to being raided put up walls and traps and execute strangers who wander nearby). I suppose it depends on the personality of their mayor. At least thats how I would try to roleplay the slow descent of any halfling fort playtest I may do in the future.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:44:08 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 261