Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 517053 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #900 on: July 23, 2013, 10:15:40 am »

Also keep in mind light and dark blue are used for water, light and dark red are used for magma, and cyan is used for sky and ice, and that can't be changed.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: July 23, 2013, 10:58:06 am »

Buh...but - the dark blue? The cyan? Ye gods, man, what did you do to the brown?

Some of those colors, I agree with - orange for example. God, yes, please, but I use the dark blue, dark grey, and like the color of the cyan for cave moss. I can barely see a worthwhile color difference between Gold and Yellow, too, and those colors are really too similar to be separate when we have such a limited availability of slots, in my opinion.

EDIT: Also, Dark Sea Green? Eh. Not a fan. Such are my thoughts on this matter.

Hm, first of all, I would really like to figure out a good color to use for luminescence. That would, I think, merit 1 color of its own. Let me know if you have one, for luminescent things like that moss.

However, there will always be casualties when large changes are made. That's why I said I should have thought of it at the start. Now, I was thinking dark greys would migrate to either slate or a different color, to give more hues to stone. You may be right on the gold. It seemed natural to include it because gold is such a special metal. Dark sea green was intended to be used to give some stone a jade-like color.

Also, turns out you can't change colors completely arbitrarily due to hard-coded materials and things (thanks Japa for pointing it out, I did forget). Here's a rethought version with some hints of what the game may/will/should, depending on whether it's moddable or not, use those for. Here if you want "gray" as in metallic you are supposed to go for gray90, and if you want a dark, calm, stone-like color you should choose a tint (slateg, rosequartz, burlywood).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have a feeling the idea of making magma on your level orange and water on your level turquoise may cause a lot of controversy, but it's a matter of what you're used to.

Feels a little neutered this way. Well, again, thoughts - just an idea for now.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 23, 2013, 11:07:28 am »

Better...ish? Not certain what Wheat could be useful for - seems like sort of a specific color to plants. Turquoise would probably work for the surface of a body of water, but I think vanilla blue is a better match for underwater tiles.

Aren't we getting a tileset from Sackhead? Maybe wait for that before implementing any color scheme changes. What looks good in ASCII might not look as good with a graphical tileset.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 23, 2013, 11:20:46 am »

Better...ish? Not certain what Wheat could be useful for

Basically, anything that you want to be white but not an attention-grabbing, text on black white is the intention. Such as fat. The names for the colors may actually chain the imagination a little, but I wanted to keep them for my own reference.

If this set seems reasonable I'll make a playable version later and let's have a look at how undersea tiles look if turquoise. I personally actually think the deep blue color of water on your level is not really appropriate (since that's not how water is ever), and it's turquoise in stonesense too.

Aren't we getting a tileset from Sackhead? Maybe wait for that before implementing any color scheme changes. What looks good in ASCII might not look as good with a graphical tileset.

True enough, but it's good to get started regardless. Also on the other hand the sooner stuff like this is added or announced the less work needs to be done to adapt, and it might be nice for him and everyone else planning stuff to know in advance they'll be able to make things orange, turquoise or wheat-colored.

Hm, speaking of - if the above doesn't seem like a good solution could also just implement the orange, overwriting light magenta, as that's definitely missed. But having a completely different look and more new options would be even sweeter, I think.

arbiter787

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING] noobishness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 23, 2013, 12:33:43 pm »

I just saw this, and it looks awesome! I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I'm working on it. Totally gonna be watching this.

I don't want a turn, but I'm gonna be playing each update, obviously :P
Most people say "I hate losing". I say "Hells yes I lost to a zombie unicorn rampage!

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 23, 2013, 01:06:32 pm »

Hell yes, folks. The fireball vigor works!

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:VIGOR_FIREBALL_STL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:VIGOR_DRINK_TEMPLATE_STL_MC]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:CRIMSON]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:Dragon's Breath vigor]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:n/a]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:smoke]
[TILE:178][DISPLAY_COLOR:1:0:1]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:Dragon's Breath]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:ALL]
[SYN_INGESTED]
[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:hurl fireball]
[CDI:INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:HAND]
[CDI:FLOW:FIREBALL]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:10]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:75]

Other planned vigors: Oculentibus's Gaze (petrification), Embrace of Shadows (hide interaction), Agent Provocateur (enrage enemies), and Hydra (were-halfling for a month to regen limbs). Yes, you can stack these things for an alchemical super-halfling army. Also yes - Guzzling curiousbeasts should be able to chug these things if they find them. This could lead to, for a vanilla example, a fireball-casting black bear that can turn invisible that also possessed a paralyzing gaze.

Do we have any guzzlers yet?

EDIT: Append to the list of planned vigors Titan - a strength-booster steroidal atheletes wished they had.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:21:27 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 23, 2013, 01:16:11 pm »

[GUZZLERS] and thieves tend to be dangerous, but isn't the Bandit Moth a Guzzler?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 23, 2013, 01:23:18 pm »

Nope, just an item thief. I'm almost certain I didn't add any guzzlers in; Reaver Ants are Eaters, though. Those can't drink stuff, right?

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 23, 2013, 01:41:26 pm »

BUGFIX

Okay, this is a minor thing that updating my raws seems like too much effort for. Aasiaats are supposed to "burrow into the snow" and hide until they leap out in ambush at your creatures. Unfortunately, their AI behavior with the ability didn't really do as I intended. I've removed the usage hint from their CDI token and added AMBUSHPREDATOR for good measure, to fix this.

For those who wish to implement this fix, just overwrite the entry for the Aasiaat in my creature file with the following.
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:AASIAAT_STL]
[NAME:aasiaat:aasiaat:aasiaat]
[CASTE_NAME:aasiaat:aasiaat:aasiaat]
[CREATURE_TILE:'S'][COLOR:3:0:1]
[DESCRIPTION:A large spider native to the colder regions of the world, and adept in using its environment for ambush. Its icy venom inflicts damage similar to frostbite.]
[PREFSTRING:icy bite]
[BODY:BASIC_ARACHNID_STL:4EYES_STL:MANDIBLES_STL:BOOK_LUNGS_STL:BRAIN_STL:HEART_ABDOMEN_STL]
[BODY_SIZE:66000]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:16500]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:33000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:66000]
[CHILD:1]
[BIOME:GLACIER][BIOME:TUNDRA]
[PET_EXOTIC][MUNDANE][LIKES_FIGHTING][LARGE_PREDATOR][LARGE_ROAMING][PETVALUE:300]
[CREATURE_CLASS:ALL][CREATURE_CLASS:ARTHROPOD][CREATURE_CLASS:INVERTEBRATE]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:4:6][POPULATION_NUMBER:600:2000]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:LIGHT_CHITIN_MATERIALS_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:LIGHT_CHITIN_TISSUES_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:INSECT_LAYERS_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:INSECT_POSITIONS_STL]
[BODYGLOSS:CHELICERAE_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:BITE_MANDIBLE_INJECTION_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:IS_INSECT_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:APPEARANCE_VARIABILITY_BODYSIZE_HLG]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:APPEARANCE_VARIABILITY_INSECT_EYES_STL]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:HEMOLYMPH:LIQUID]
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:aasiaat nymph:aasiaat nymphs]
[MAXAGE:12:14]
[AMBUSHPREDATOR]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:SNOWBLIND_SPIDER_STL]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Hide in snow]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:600]
[CDI:FREE_ACTION]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:POISON:INSECT_POISON_TEMPLATE_STL]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen aasiaat venom]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen aasiaat venom]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:aasiaat venom]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:aasiaat venom]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling aasiaat venom]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling aasiaat venom]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[ENTERS_BLOOD]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:aasiaat bite]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:ALL]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:AASIAAT_STL:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_PAIN:SEV:60:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:LOCALIZED:START:0:PEAK:60:END:7200]
[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:60:PROB:60:LOCALIZED:START:2400:PEAK:3600:END:7000]
[CE_BLISTERS:SEV:50:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:LOCALIZED:START:60:PEAK:120:END:2400]
[CE_NUMBNESS:SEV:80:PROB:70:RESISTABLE:LOCALIZED:START:5:PEAK:1200:END:2400]

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 23, 2013, 01:47:09 pm »

Okay, I did some testing with the colors finally. Just plugged in the colors without rewriting things to properly use them to see how they look together, and then

1. Opened arena
2. Traveled a bit as an adventurer
3. Played some halfling hamlet

Here's the data file to add the colors, and screencaps of all that.

Screencaps:

I'm not sure if it's cool, boring, or what to think. Except orange pumpkins are now a thing, finally. But I like how the surface and the rock colors look.

Again, give opinions and I'll develop.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: July 23, 2013, 01:52:01 pm »

Huh. That actually looks fairly decent. Well, except for the orange lava, but I'm a bit of a purist :)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 23, 2013, 01:57:00 pm »

Actually, I think orange lava with red surface is more realistic than what we have now. It indicates that the surface is colder than the rest.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 23, 2013, 02:58:27 pm »

I personally sort of like it, but I'm biased. I know we all love magma and would never want it to change, but it's just a little make-up after all.

Now, my selling point was to add new colors that would be used more than some of vanilla's more "strange" ones, and while the above caps showed the normal colors, some don't get shown almost at all if you just replace the colors, because if it's designed for the vanilla palette then you're obviously going to have very few things with color 6:0:1 for bright magenta. To show how it might look if all materials had been calibrated to use the new colors, I edited some materials and took a screencap of an underground landscape:

Admittedly, there's a lot of bluish things with somewhat subtle differences now available.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: July 23, 2013, 03:33:23 pm »

Gah, everything's all purpley and lavender!

I dunno about removing brown and rich blue. The water and ice just don't look right. This palette needs some tweaking.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: July 23, 2013, 03:39:32 pm »

Hm, this is confusing me a little as it doesn't seem to be just an idiosyncrasy but rather my incorrect understanding... why is "burlywood4" not brown? It's more pale due to having a higher amount of blue but has almost the same red and green values, and looks brown to me in the caps.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 261