Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Hotline Miami 2  (Read 16469 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hotline Miami 2
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2015, 10:38:37 pm »

I haven't got around to playing the game but the soundtrack seems great. The highlight for me is Dust (Carpenter Brut Remix) with Roller Mobster (Scattle Remix) being the runner-up.

Ninja: Dodge roll let's you move through bullets IIRC.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2015, 11:37:24 pm »

I'm loving the shit outta this soundtrack

I have to say I fucking despise the segments playing as the swans, it seems as though they didn't put enough thought into making them and swan 2 gets stuck on every fucking piece of furniture in every fucking level.

So far glasses levels are my favourite, in Hawaii

Also what someone mentioned about the level design is absolutely true, I despise having these huge gigantic areas where I can't even shift+look to see enemies until they've murdered me

Story is on point, and it's confusing the hell out of me, and I think I love that.

Ninja: Dodge roll let's you move through bullets IIRC.

See, the problem is that there are some times where the dodge roll just gets you killed anyway. On his second mandatory mission I got fucked by the mobsters over and over again, all because the dodge roll is hilariously contextual and next to useless most of the time.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2015, 12:04:47 am »

I'm kinda going back and forth with myself on the story. I like that it's fairly broad, but I think the variety of characters and viewpoints, even the gang, kind of undercut the theme I enjoy a little bit. At least, what I liked about the story of the first game was that the violence, the weirdness, your character, the questionable reality you're in, it all kind of came together to explain how an average guy goes ape shit and kills like someone possessed.

In this, it's kinda, ya know, that's how people fight and no one seems to think much of it. Everyone is beast, even a journalist. The cop investigating all this stuff gets doors shut in his face, and then goes to a major crime scene and wastes like 100 people. For...reasons?

It starts feeling a little disconnected, and even the gang, as odd as they are, feels pretty far away from how the first game handled itself. (Until this game starts just inserting WEIRD into otherwise normal moments.) Again, compared to the first game where I sorta felt like I/my character was being taken for a ride. Here I feel like a distant observer (and all the VHS-tape visual effects and stuff are meant to reinforce that.) It's not bad but it feels a bit less cohesive than the last game...as cohesive as a game like this is gonna get.

I dunno. I'm on like scene 13 so I shouldn't prejudge. But after 5 screens of murdering people on a boat where I have literally no idea why I'm there, I want some sort of payoff from the story and occasionally I feel like I'm not getting that.

I think this would make a pretty good acid-trip movie, but when half of your characters look like the same ugly-ass mofo and there's no voices to distinguish them, just the tone of their dialog, and you have this many people and this many interludes that don't amount to much, and then you gotta cram an obligatory murder-level in there.....it's a bit much for a pixel game to try to pull off. I'm trying to pay attention and look for those subtle cues and clues in each scene like the first game had but I dunno. Somehow it feels like the story is trying to be more complicated or broad and is less tightly constructed and executed as result. Not surprising I guess when you think about it. Maybe that's the trade off you get for going all Quentin Tarantino with your timeline.

I have to say I fucking despise the segments playing as the swans, it seems as though they didn't put enough thought into making them and swan 2 gets stuck on every fucking piece of furniture in every fucking level.

First mission with them, Swan #2 would get locked out of the level by the front door about 50% of my attempts. I ended up just finishing it with Swan 1 and the chainsaw. When it works it's kinda cool, but it's too finicky for my tastes.

Ermahgerd, dig this song.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:57:27 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

KillerFrogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2015, 01:48:13 am »

So turns out the non-lethal character doesn't need to be non-lethal. Basically if you do that finisher where you end up killing the enemies enough times, then he completely stops being non-lethal and allows the use of blades and guns. Interesting touch especially considering the one of the achievement's name that's attached to that character.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:51:31 am by KillerFrogs »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2015, 03:31:03 am »

The later levels are fucking ridiculous. Rooms combined with gunmen, dogs/fast runners and fatties is just stupid. Weapon switching isn't precise enough for that crap. Also if you're going to spawn more than a single fattie in a small room then you should at least give me a damn shotgun or at least make small arms stumble them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Oh god I got past that level. I'm sure it was just dumb luck though.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:40:36 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2015, 04:24:31 am »

I'm not a fan of shooters but damn that soundtrack is nice. Makes me want to run a weird Lovecraftian eighties P&P campaign in the spirit of True Detective with the reality slowly breaking down around the players.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2015, 05:33:35 am »

Dear Dennaton Games,
Putting enemies that can only be harmed by guns with enemies that can only be harmed by melee weapons in the same room and forcing us to rely on the finicky weapon switch is not good game design. Surrounding that room with windows with dozens of ranged enemies who are outside your LOS is even worse. Adding patrolling dogs to that mess is just evil.

EDIT: nothing is more demoralising than getting through a long bullshit level only to recieve a A-.
DOUBLE EDIT: Finished the game. I guess that's one way to make sure there will be no sequels...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:37:40 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2015, 07:09:19 am »

Ranged enemies outside of LOS is not just bad design, it's being an asshole. One great strength of HM was the fairness, and if an enemy had special range, they were clearly marked special and used sparingly. Invisisnipes are just plain bullshit.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2015, 07:33:50 am »

This won't last for long:

EDIT:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:42:24 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2015, 10:38:31 am »

CL, how many levels to the game total?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2015, 11:39:19 am »

25 and a single bonus stage.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2015, 12:25:46 pm »

Currently stuck on the

Damn that thing is hard. And I have no idea how to beat it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2015, 12:29:23 pm »

Currently stuck on the

Damn that thing is hard. And I have no idea how to beat it.
Oh, yeah, I was frustrated on not having a clue for way too long.

Spoiler: Solution: (click to show/hide)

What's that Abyss thing? I've heard rumours of Hard mode having extra content, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to go through extra frustration to get those.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2015, 12:33:21 pm »

Currently stuck on the

What's that Abyss thing? I've heard rumours of Hard mode having extra content, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to go through extra frustration to get those.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:44:01 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2015, 12:41:39 pm »

Thanks to both scrdest and CL for the help.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11