Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: If DF were released today.  (Read 2216 times)

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
If DF were released today.
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:34:57 pm »

Basically, this thread is a place to put anecdotes/game reviews from an alternate universe where DF2012 was released as-is , for a low price (say 10$). No game breaking bugs, either, just all features in DF2012.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If DF were released today.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 11:31:48 pm »

Gameplay 0/10 - Impossible for ANYONE to play or even learn how to!

Graphics-0/10- Only letters and numbers... completely impossible to identify anything... makes my eyes hurt

Sound-0/10- Same song plays forever driving you mad

Who does this TOAD guy think he is selling this minecraft ripoff for $10!!???

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 01:46:42 am »

That's not a correct review. There are a few good game reviews around there, which were made by competent people. And "minecraft ripoff" joke is really old, it's not funny anymore.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:51:47 am »

That's not a correct review. There are a few good game reviews around there, which were made by competent people. And "minecraft ripoff" joke is really old, it's not funny anymore.
This is from a mainstream gaming magazine, with little/no experience with DF. I assume
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 03:29:46 am »

Is the game even supposed to cost anything when it's done?
Or is Toady aiming for the most complex and !FUN! free game ever made?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 04:24:31 am »

The donations is what make him have food and nice things, it's not a commercial project so it does not cost anything, and it's never "done".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 09:16:46 am »

Well I doubt Game Informer (for example) would review a free, unadvertised game.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 02:35:38 pm »

That is actually what one of my "friends" said when I tried to introduce him to Dwarf Fortress.

I'm guessing actual professional reviewers would be more educated about DF and be more appreciative. But the average casual gamer on the other hand...

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 03:08:55 pm »

DF will never be "released", it's an eternal project.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 03:12:26 pm »

Honestly it all comes down to the type of player picking up the game.
I've got a few hardcore friends (mostly strat / fps guys ) and told them to try out this game for at least 5 - 10 hours , most of them switched to graphical mode while one is now playing text based only (old roguelike guy) , havent seen them around on the forums but I guess they might show up since at least 2 of them are still playing DF (out of 3).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 03:41:35 pm »

I'm guessing actual professional reviewers would be more educated about DF and be more appreciative.
0/10

Seriously though. Forget casual gamers and game reviewers [who are worse than casual gamers]. Hardcore gamers and game devs [not publishers, who are worse than reviewers] are the ones with the best and reasoned opinions.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 05:04:42 pm »

I'm guessing actual professional reviewers would be more educated about DF and be more appreciative.
0/10

Seriously though. Forget casual gamers and game reviewers [who are worse than casual gamers]. Hardcore gamers and game devs [not publishers, who are worse than reviewers] are the ones with the best and reasoned opinions.

It all comes down to the reviewer. The game has already been talked about on PC Gamer, NYTimes, and other websites. So some reviewers might get it right.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 05:17:25 pm »

Well I doubt Game Informer (for example) would review a free, unadvertised game.
Game Informer did a small article on Dwarf Fortress once already. In 2006.
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 11:01:57 am »

I think this was meant to be a comedy thread rather than a serious discussion of reviewers and reviewing practices.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 11:34:41 am »

I think this was meant to be a comedy thread rather than a serious discussion of reviewers and reviewing practices.
-IGN
10/10
The graphics were amazing
Pages: [1] 2