Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325183 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)
« Reply #2550 on: November 04, 2016, 12:41:50 pm »

I don't build fighters, I build frigates, destroyers, cruisers, battleships, stations and once had an incredibly impressive 750m super-heavy flagship called the Ahura Mazda.  Fighters are a complete afterthought in my design paradigm.

The weapons mechanics work really well on a small scale, because using 15-30 blocks on a fighter or shuttle isn't a huge investment of material, but once you get past frigates the amount of blocks for  weapons increases geometrically, while the available space actually decreases due to my (self imposed) requirement that the vessel have a fully outfitted interior.

Also, missiles in space are stupid and thus are absolutely verboten, completely unacceptable, do not pass go do not collect two hundred dollars, right out, totally not okay.  (I will maintain this stance until the end of time, no matter how badly it gimps me in any space based game.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: November 04, 2016, 12:59:48 pm »

Mirroring already present work can be done clumsily with 'copy/paste'; just copy the good side, delete the same box you just copied, turn on symmetry and paste it right back where it came from and it will be mirrored.
Repainting is even easier still using the 'remove filter' and 'replace with current' though it takes a pass to swap each individual shape of hull block.

didn't think of that copy/paste trick... that's a good one.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: November 04, 2016, 01:31:21 pm »

My biggest issue is repairing...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: November 04, 2016, 01:45:43 pm »

My biggest issue is repairing...

the shipyard works now

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: November 04, 2016, 02:19:23 pm »

Does your ship remember blocks that have been lost, or do you have to save it as a blueprint to repair?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: November 04, 2016, 02:25:20 pm »

save as bp

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: November 04, 2016, 03:30:10 pm »

So I just changed the player adv. build select area size in the server config file, but it doesnt seem to have increased it at all??? Any ideas?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: November 04, 2016, 05:01:45 pm »

Are you on a MP server? You can only change your own setting for single player.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: November 04, 2016, 05:05:31 pm »

Are you on a MP server? You can only change your own setting for single player.

In single player. The config file says 50, but I can't move anything past 10 still. Do I have to restart the world???

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: November 04, 2016, 05:50:27 pm »

Just restarting the game should be enough. Could it be a formatting error like 5o, or the modified file saved to the wrong path? Maybe try changing THRUST_SPEED_LIMIT as well and seeing if that change is recognized in game.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: November 04, 2016, 06:51:14 pm »

So, is there any way to get a factory/shipyard/etc onto a ship?  Some tomfoolery involving docking rails, perhaps?  I'd love to go full nomad.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: November 04, 2016, 07:17:25 pm »

Figured out the conundrum. These days, build area is actually determined from the server menu within the game itself!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: November 04, 2016, 09:43:58 pm »

Doublée post:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So the ship isn't exactly what I wanted to make, but it's really starting to develop into something vaguely ship-like. Of the exterior segments (just the baseline stuff, not the finer detailing) only the engines and figuring out the front remain. While I actually have a pretty good idea of what to do for the engines I'm just fucking lost on how to finish the front. What's there now isn't working at all and it certainly isn't utilitarian. (It's an industrial/freighter/mining ship) and I really need some suggestions on how to make the front look like a working man's commercial vessel. The only requirement is that zeppelin-style cockpit must remain.

Any thoughts???

EDIT: Sorry if the image is fucky??? My internet is being trash, so I can't tell if it's just me. If you can't see it, http://imgur.com/a/tk4AL
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:48:33 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #2563 on: November 05, 2016, 12:28:35 am »

That's not the issue.  They never try to mine.  They just wander somewhere nearby an asteroid and sit there.

I actually hopped on a month or two ago to check out the new stuff. I tried using drones and they did the same thing, I couldn't really figure out how to use them properly. I meant to revive the thread and ask, but got distracted. So thanks for bringing this up again :) Maybe someone knows how drones are supposed to work.

For what its worth, you're probably doing it right, they're just broken. Immediately after implementing fleets, the next tweak to their ai broke mining drones. They rarely work right at the moment. Supposedly working on ai like that will come up again soon, what with NPC factions being worked on.

So, is there any way to get a factory/shipyard/etc onto a ship?  Some tomfoolery involving docking rails, perhaps?  I'd love to go full nomad.

There was, by editing the entity type of an object docked to a ship so that it is registered as a station. Supposedly theyve prevented that from happening since then, so it doesn't work anymore. Supposedly also might be able to do that when they get around to capital ships later.

Right now, what you can do is build a big ship, a cheap blueprint of a station, and spawn that station and set it as home base for a while, then deconstruct it and store the components in your cargo hold when you're ready to move on.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: November 05, 2016, 05:50:24 am »

set up a server off the latest version, pm for ip - it's many low power cores and starmade is single threaded so don't know if it's going to be decent for actual play
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 181