Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325145 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)
« Reply #2535 on: November 03, 2016, 01:09:59 pm »

Anything interesting to do in SP yet? God this is one of the great building games as far as I'm concerned (so many beautiful ships), but what is there to do in it? Talk of drones makes me hopeful. To the forums away!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: November 03, 2016, 01:20:47 pm »

not yet sorry. they're working on randomized factions to hold territory and wage war, but not quite there yet.

(also I disagree on all their views on difficulty, so there's that)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: November 03, 2016, 01:34:02 pm »

not yet sorry. they're working on randomized factions to hold territory and wage war, but not quite there yet.

(also I disagree on all their views on difficulty, so there's that)

That's okay. Starmade is almost more art than game sometimes, lol. How's MP doing??? Any servers you guys frequent?

EDIT: Urge... to build... intensifying.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:40:22 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: November 03, 2016, 01:45:56 pm »

I've been plying solo, getting a handle on how the game works, and having fun building mining ships bigger and bigger.  I haven't gotten into combat or building warships yet, but loving the building style and how modular things are.  If there's a good server I'd hop on, or I might host my own temporarily, a few nights a week or something...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: November 03, 2016, 01:53:28 pm »

I'll have to re-get the hang of it here... haven't played in about a year and a half now??? The new updates seem to have added ALOT of really great features both functionally and aesthetically. I think I'll get started on a mining ship myself... see if I can balance functionality with stunning good looks. Y'know... This game might turn out to be the game 0x10c had hoped to be, if we all can collectively recall that gem of an idea.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: November 03, 2016, 02:10:57 pm »

Every time someone posts about starmade I want to fix my poor languishing Eidolon, but then I try and remember why I stopped.

I miss the old weapons system, even if it was overly simplistic.  But I want the new functions too, beams weapons are awesome, the slave/master/addon effect thing is a great idea, but fuck does it make building a bitch and a half.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: November 03, 2016, 02:25:20 pm »

I was never very good at the weapons/engines systems, nor will I be again probably, BUT the new drone stuff gets me hot and bothered. We should have like a small-medium building contest or something to get us back in the hang of it.

EDIT: Also, this new launcher is fly as fuuuuuuuck!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:35:21 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: November 03, 2016, 02:54:08 pm »

Weapons look easy enough to me, once you break it down.  Cannons shoot in a line.  Add more cannons, do more damage!  If you want to add effects, you can link things.  Basic cannons deal projectiles, missiles shoot seeking ordnance, beams shoot lasers, and pulse makes a sphere of damage at its barrel.  A linked cannon gives smaller rapid fire, linked missile gives smaller cluster fire, linked beam gives longer range and lower fire rate, and linked pulse gives explosive-on-hit.  So combine stuff then.  Cannon-Cannon is a machine gun.  Cannon-Missile is a shotgun.  Beam-Cannon is a rapid laser.  Missile-Pulse is a large explosion nuke.

You can THEN add on-hit effects.  Shield Drain improves the shield damage, EMP hurts energy instead of hull, etc.

BASE weapon type.
LINK firing mechanics.
EFFECT damage profile.

Ideally you want a 1:1:1 on these.  5 cannons linked to 5 missiles linked to 5 explosive effects would give you a shotgun of explosive pellets.  But 5 cannons linked to 2 missiles linked to 1 explosive would shoot fewer, stronger pellets with very small explosions.  On some effects, like the 'push' you could get a 20% cover, so it deals 80% damage and 20% kinetic push, so going 100% might not always be what you want.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: November 03, 2016, 03:06:44 pm »

Just dove back in... seems like it's been optimized quite a bit despite everything that's been added judging by how loud my mac gets when I play. I am pleasantly surprised.

The question is, Girlinhat, does the same system apply to scavenging and mining??? I don't remember any of this...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: November 03, 2016, 03:09:13 pm »

The problem isn't how it works, the problem is building around it.  For a weapon system to be reasonably powerful, it needs to be moderately large (for small ships you can sling a few dozen blocks, but past that you move into the hundreds and thousands easily), then it needs an equal sized slave, then you'll probably want an effect, which needs to be equally large.

So let's say I build a 5x5x50 beam, then I need a 5x5x50 slave, probably cannon, then I need a 5x5x50 addon, probably punch-through or ion.  And at the end what I end up with is a single weapon that I would only use as a medium ship gun, probably not even a main spinal mount, and I've already dedicated 3750 blocks to that single gun.  Then I need power, storage, shields and emitters, propulsion, docks, turrets, and an interior.  This is no longer a medium ship, but still only has the armament of one.

The revision to the weapons mechanics was needful, but I don't like how space intensive it is, if the same weapon could be made with half the blocks it would be okay.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: November 03, 2016, 03:22:30 pm »

The question is, Girlinhat, does the same system apply to scavenging and mining??? I don't remember any of this...
It does work on mining.  You use the Salvager weapon model - the beam.  You can slave a cannon for rapid-fire (rapid enough that it's a constant beam, in fact, without interruption), a missile for a cluster of beams (they fire in the same line, so it's basically just a stronger beam), damage beam for stronger and longer range (the cooldown is ENORMOUS but the per-shot power is mind-boggling), and pulse to do a weird sort of area-effect mining (I think).

I don't know if the salvager can be a slave.  I don't think Cannon-Salvage would work.  Sadly you cannot have a mining torpedo - using the Salvage master makes it the beam profile, and the slave only changes how it fires.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: November 03, 2016, 03:23:44 pm »

Note; explosive effect when used on weapons caps at 10% (also is broken when used as a defensive effect iirc)

There are still a few servers that are relatively consistently busy right now. Seems quite a few people are waiting for the new Elwyn Returninty server to start up 'soon' before rejoining MP.

There's a new power block too; Aux power. Has features of both reactors and capacitors. Main points are that each Aux power group has it's own 2mil e/sec softcap but the Aux power blocks themselves explode in chain reactions if hit.

Display modules can now be used with logic to implement textual command systems, password locks, data storage, holographic displays.

So much new stuff.

Oh yeah, fleet commands. If you are on multiplayer either faction everything you have or make sure it is assigned to a fleet. Any non-fleet neutral entity in NAV range can be assigned to a fleet by anyone and ordered to go anywhere. It can even be done while someone is in the core. As soon as they get out it just flies away.

Showoff stuff;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSlEt0kehIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tw15aQ8iG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo5FQyqqoAc
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:29:18 pm by Crashmaster »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: November 03, 2016, 10:40:50 pm »

Started work on a big mining ship. Coming along okay, but jesus Starmade really needs some quality-of-life stuff still. Stuff like mirroring already present work, the option to repaint armor without having to rebuild the ship, and a higher (though its adjustable now) copy&paste tool.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: November 04, 2016, 11:37:13 am »

Mirroring already present work can be done clumsily with 'copy/paste'; just copy the good side, delete the same box you just copied, turn on symmetry and paste it right back where it came from and it will be mirrored.
Repainting is even easier still using the 'remove filter' and 'replace with current' though it takes a pass to swap each individual shape of hull block.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: November 04, 2016, 11:44:02 am »

The problem isn't how it works, the problem is building around it.  For a weapon system to be reasonably powerful, it needs to be moderately large

missile+beam (or even pulse but that reload time :( ) is a good solution for small ship. not everything need monstrous dps, just enough alpha to pass trough shields on first hit (and of course a fighter won't kill a cruiser, but missiles can happily go trough 3m shield while using little space)
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 181