Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325147 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #2520 on: November 16, 2015, 10:43:37 pm »

Been playing on a server that has quite a bit of work done to it without big changes to the config (I think laser range is decreased more but damage buffed - hard to hit at long range with lasers anyways due to not being able to hold it still for long enough to register a tick).

http://starmadedock.net/threads/mushroom-fleet-shogunate-season-2-november-2015-february-2016.21666/

Pretty easy to steal currency blocks from pirates with the right set-up, I made a logic-miner for eating planets while AFK so resources are less grindy to get, also won the equivalent of 25 billion credits as well. Look up Bee-one-two faction or PM Crashmaster if you want to drop by. I've got a large asteroid to turn into a base.

I'm playing on that server too, as Neutromancer. Economy is nice and you get a lot of more capsules per unit of ore at the refinery than vanilla.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: December 19, 2015, 11:50:18 am »

Ok, last couple of updates are pretty cool.

-Cargo takes space now, you have to place "cargo" blocks that have no mass, and link them to a storage block and they get filled up.

-Thrust finally revamped. Now 1) you can inherit it from docked entities (so you can have engine modules) and 2) you can set the balance to forward/backward thrust and rotation. Also 3) Max speed is dependent on mass/thrust ratio now.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: December 19, 2015, 12:12:00 pm »

Thruster modules yes but they can't be self-powered. They actually transfer their thrust to the main entity. Weird for balance reasons.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: December 19, 2015, 01:16:02 pm »

I guess you can still beam power to the main. Not ideal, but...
Unless you want to do that anyway to get past the soft cap which is a good thing I suppose.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: April 07, 2016, 11:18:33 pm »

Hey guys, there's some new features for the core game now. There's fleets, for one. You can add/remove fleet members, and give the fleet orders. That includes drone/fighter use: fleets can be ordered to dock to the mothership (only the flagship, the first ship in the list, can behave as a carrier at the moment.) and any fleet member that wasn't assigned a dock will ignore that particular order, so the carrier can have support craft. You can order them to mine, and everything but the flagship will attempt to mine asteroids in the sector. So you can have mining drones.

There's a new set of rails now, which are intangible and invisible except in build mode. One works like a basic rail, one automatically undocks and launches ships that reach it (they're launched at like 25m/s or something by default.) and one that acts as a docking anchor. Place it adjacent to a rail and the first docker block on another craft to pass within 3m of it automatically docks to the rail you put it next to. That's where your fleet fighters/drones try to go when ordered to dock; the last docking point they were docked to on the mothership.

That exploit a while ago that allowed you to throw a bunch of blocks on an asteroid, wait for an autosave, and mine it repeatedly is gone, now. As is the exploit where a weapons on a docked craft could be fired without interfering with their parents' cloaking. Said something about the issue with lasers being unable to hit targets beyond the player computers' rendering distance being fixed. It DOES seem to work now, in single player. The defensive ion effect now protects your turrets/docked components.

The AI isn't a whole lot smarter, yet. But they can see targets at range now, even if they aren't in range to use their own weapons.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: April 08, 2016, 02:12:10 am »

Tru I was watching it for progress as the game is quite pointless now, say, beyond building massivly laggy ship and troll people in multiplayer

It seems they're finally adding content and as soon aa pirates get some improv I'm all for running a pve server

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: April 08, 2016, 02:39:53 am »

From my brief look into it earlier, the pirates still seem to do what they used to which is sitting at range shooting while jostling back and forth. It would be nice if they had different tactics so you could give ships the order to perform fly-bys.

FPS drop is a bit of an issue. I think some of it is because you have to set the RAM allocation for the game manually in the game setup window, not exactly the best method of doing this as judging how much can be difficult.

The carrier additions are nice to hear about. Though I will say it does kind of add on to the already big list of relearning systems. I'll have to look up some recent tutorial videos.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: April 08, 2016, 03:36:56 am »

A round (or two) of bug fixing is sorely overdue. The map is still broken for some users of older Nvidia cards - me :(

...building massivly laggy ship...

Disregarding the new fleet operations doctrine which further favors groups of smaller ships to cling to the old ideals of big guns requires a ship like the Bismark or the Birmingham.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I started with a decent .skp 3d model but butchered the lateral nacelles for starmade-dakka reasons. It's also been scaled up to from reference material dimensions to the dimensions of the Dogosse Giar-class given that the Dogosse Giar itself was redesigned from the second Birmingham-class ship discontinued after it's sister-ship's destruction. Anyways, aiming for a fast battleship with heavy long-range missile banks as well. Three 14k weapon block enhanced range main turrets. Seven 8k weapon block 3-barrel machine guns. All the turrets are self powered but they can also be switched to act as docked reactors to supplement the planned eight docked reactors needed to power the amount of thrusters it'll have to try and control engagement range with overdrive. With that amount of power available at once while stopped it should be able to maintain quite powerful stand-off missile fire which will be from connecting overdrives to the long-range missile banks. It's also got a pair of ion-buffed docked shield reactors. Esimated 6 million blocks when complete. Oh and can't forget anti-astronaut faction module/core defense turrets these days.

Pirates seem a bit better, but I can't say for sure since I don't venture far from creative mode due to the borked map >:[

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: April 16, 2016, 01:19:40 am »

Put together a mining command ship and some mining drones, organized them into a fleet, and ordered them to mine. Now I'm watching 11 tiny doomcubes flitter around inhaling asteroids at about 100 blocks per second. The mining command frigate has faster onboard beams and actually an even better turret on its back, but honestly I do like watching them do all the work.

Ten minutes now and a sector of six asteroids is reduced to one fragment of an asteroid quickly vanishing.

I love this update.

Still having fun, this time with a planetary strip miner I threw together: http://imgur.com/a/dQ7se/all

I am become destroyer of worlds.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:05:30 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: November 02, 2016, 05:42:36 pm »

Hail Necro!  So anyone remember how to do mining drones?  I've been trying to get some fleet automation but for the life of me can't get mining ships to work automatically...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: November 02, 2016, 05:59:05 pm »

need to be docked and assigned to a carrier first irrc

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: November 02, 2016, 06:35:47 pm »

That's not the issue.  They never try to mine.  They just wander somewhere nearby an asteroid and sit there.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: November 02, 2016, 06:55:28 pm »

That's not the issue.  They never try to mine.  They just wander somewhere nearby an asteroid and sit there.

I actually hopped on a month or two ago to check out the new stuff. I tried using drones and they did the same thing, I couldn't really figure out how to use them properly. I meant to revive the thread and ask, but got distracted. So thanks for bringing this up again :) Maybe someone knows how drones are supposed to work.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)
« Reply #2533 on: November 02, 2016, 10:58:49 pm »

Do they have cargo space?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)
« Reply #2534 on: November 03, 2016, 12:24:27 pm »

Assuming you are on single player, there have been some reports that deleting the server.cfg file fixed non-mining drones.

Also, drones need a flagship to work, and it must be in the same sector as the asteroids.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 181