Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 324952 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #2385 on: June 07, 2015, 02:43:05 am »

Yes but current rail system is too much broken to be relied upon

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: June 07, 2015, 03:05:35 am »

How so? I ask because I quit playing after crashing 10+ times in one day on EE and then discovering that  singleplayer was doing it too.

(I've since wiped everything and reinstalled, but haven't tried it again since to see if playing on EE or using the EE config was the problem. Mostly because if it works fine in stock, the mining ship I built won't work anyways since it relies on EE's changes to the salvage beams.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: June 07, 2015, 03:38:10 am »

balance: turrets are to slow to target anything (or missiles are to fast, especially missile+beam)

bugs: new bobby on rail gets fixated on non existent targets, so you get more and more turret stuck on whatever and not shooting

anyway, admire my new stealth shuttle! managed to fit a single missile on it, with 100k damage per shot
it also has a jump drive and a lot of thrusters.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: June 07, 2015, 03:38:35 am »

Whoops, wrong thread.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: June 07, 2015, 08:53:25 am »

The problem with single missiles that do tons of damage is that blast radius is fixed. So any damage above what's needed to blow up blocks is wasted.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: June 07, 2015, 10:25:45 am »

That's when you split them in more independend tubes :)

Optimally you want each missile to have 1000dmg each, so you reach the magic number and then build up more independent tubes attached to the same controller

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: June 07, 2015, 11:52:44 am »

balance: turrets are to slow to target anything (or missiles are to fast, especially missile+beam)

bugs: new bobby on rail gets fixated on non existent targets, so you get more and more turret stuck on whatever and not shooting

anyway, admire my new stealth shuttle! managed to fit a single missile on it, with 100k damage per shot
it also has a jump drive and a lot of thrusters.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Whenever I see a stealth ship in this game, I kind of wonder why they don't make stealth be contingent on volume rather than mass. It makes sense that a smaller ship would be easier to hide, but not so much that a lighter one would be.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: June 07, 2015, 02:08:34 pm »

But volume is mass in this game, dont all block weight 0.1?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: June 07, 2015, 02:51:32 pm »

Oh, yeah, I guess I meant size. I got confused because total height, width, and length can usually be used to determine volume, but that doesn't really work with hollow objects.

But, yeah, would there be any problem with determining if a ship can be stealthed or not based on size rather than mass? It would encourage stealth ships to be smaller (I'm thinking there could be sharply scaling power requirements as your stealth bubble or whatever increases in size) without requiring them to go without any sort of hull or decorative blocks (which some people argue is for balance, but, honestly, a little bit of hull isn't going to stop most weapons).

The only thing I'm worried about with this idea is that it might penalize ships that aren't perfectly boxy, or that have outspread wingy-bits. On the other hand, if the stealth bubble extended to rail parts, you might have a legitimate reason to have weapons pop out, so that you could switch between stealth and attack forms.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: June 07, 2015, 04:22:12 pm »

Is there a way to get to our faction home faster than flying there with a ship? I got halfway there before I got instakilled by a pirate.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: June 07, 2015, 07:21:15 pm »

Jump drive.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: June 08, 2015, 03:33:03 am »

Jump drive.

to elaborate: http://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Jump_Drive_Computer

then press P, select set waypoint, enter the coordinate (comma or space separated), then charge & jump, it will move you in the right direction on its own

anyway, interest check: what if I made a 5mil shield ship, with 5/6 beefy turrets, a couple heavy fighter, a resource shuttle and we all merry go around explore all stations in a random sector? no AIs, just plain good star trek rp.

will take a while to build such ship with interiors and shit, so I'm gonna go for a check before committing to the project. 5mil shield because I don't want it to be too strong, this is not gonna be a steamroll pirates thingy.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: June 08, 2015, 10:40:06 am »

The only thing I'm worried about with this idea is that it might penalize ships that aren't perfectly boxy, or that have outspread wingy-bits. On the other hand, if the stealth bubble extended to rail parts, you might have a legitimate reason to have weapons pop out, so that you could switch between stealth and attack forms.

There's a suggestion thread on the forums about mass-based radar signatures. (and a link in that thread to an even older one! And yes, I, and a couple others apparently, think its better to have it depend on something other than dimensions, because "doom cubes" are lame and going by dimensions would make a cube the ideal form. I would go for mass.

anyway, interest check: what if I made a 5mil shield ship, with 5/6 beefy turrets, a couple heavy fighter, a resource shuttle and we all merry go around explore all stations in a random sector? no AIs, just plain good star trek rp.

will take a while to build such ship with interiors and shit, so I'm gonna go for a check before committing to the project. 5mil shield because I don't want it to be too strong, this is not gonna be a steamroll pirates thingy.

Sounds like a good excuse to cooperate. Leave the turrets accessible and you guys can man those. Be an experience in giving/following directions and communicating to one-another about where a target is. Also lets everyone get a chance to try a different role, since you'll be encountering multiple stations.

Just remember; during the trip, stop at a shop in the system and have everyone set it as their spawn point, so you don't have to warp all the way back from home to regroup when you inevitably die. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: June 08, 2015, 12:52:18 pm »

Well, I tried the Mushroom Fleet server, and it looks like a cool repository of ships and stuff but I'm at a complete loss about what to do. You get about 100 of the basic components, but no shields and barely any money, and I got shot by pirates one sector from spawn next to a shop, so I can't figure out how this isn't just going to be a net loss of components every time I try going somewhere. No planets or asteroids to mine in the system, and no starting jumpdrive either.

Probably one of the warpgates in the sector led to a more exploitable place but I didn't bother finding out.

EDIT: ok, so I joined ElwynEternity server, bought a basic jumpship and teleported to the home sector for 12th bay. Anyone online? Should I just drop a mail to the faction?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:26:29 pm by Sergius »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: June 08, 2015, 01:33:36 pm »

Zanzetkuken was having us mail him on the server and post our in-game name here, I think.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 181