Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 324947 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

I'm getting an EOFException when I try to log in now, even though the server list claims the server is up (and that there are 19 people on).

Same here, EOF after a few seconds of trying to connect, so it's not just you.

Edit:
Works for me. I?m all for testing. also, if you want to set up some trading, we can figure out something.

I set up with my bros at an irrelevant sector and we're strip mining stuff. we consume a planet a day and we can produce plenty of thruster and jump drives and other shit like that, also we have plentiful cannons and hulls, but we'd need shield. 

next time I'm in game I'll check who's there and if we can trade shit for giggles.

I hope you are blowing up the planets up before you strip mine them, since mining planets is apparently one of the biggest sources of lag on the server and blowing them up first apparently significantly decreases the lag.

(I have never blown up or seriously mined a planet, the above info is all taken from people complaining in chat so it might not be 100% accurate)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:07:34 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I'm getting an EOFException when I try to log in now, even though the server list claims the server is up (and that there are 19 people on).

same here, but it started 3 hours ago, and I think you were playing at that point so probably just too many connected players

I hope you are blowing up the planets up before you strip mine them, since mining planets is apparently one of the biggest sources of lag on the server and blowing them up first apparently significantly decreases the lag.

no, I don't have anywhere close the required firepower

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As it happens, I wasn't. I was attempting to, but that was just my attempting and failing to connect, mostly. (If you're looking to see if I'm actually in the game, I'm also Trafalgar in Starmade - I'm assuming you thought I was playing because you saw me "in starmade" on Steam)

(So I'm fiddling around in sandbox instead at the moment)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:55:10 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

word of warning: I tried a small inline turret configuration like that one but because the docker is squared elevation doesn't work

this is the smaller I could get, but I have no idea on how to cover the unsightly hinges:

edit:
well I did it!!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:39:08 pm by LoSboccacc »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I figured out what the stuff in blockbehaviorconfig means does, math-wise (couldn't find anything on the internet which said), finally. Oh, hmm, a thunderstorm arrives. HOW INCONVENIENT.

(buff, nerf, inverse, linear)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I am now completely and totally screwed. I warped to and undiscovered station, but it was a pirate station. I don't have enough money for a warp drive, and the spawn shop is out of power generators :(

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can vote and then "!bank withdraw all" (the other instructions after voting are mostly wrong) and it will throw money at you. Also you only need a core, generator, and thruster to go to another shop. If you can't get a generator, that seems like a problem, though. (It's !, right? I'm in sandbox at the moment.)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

I am now completely and totally screwed. I warped to and undiscovered station, but it was a pirate station. I don't have enough money for a warp drive, and the spawn shop is out of power generators :(

If you scroll back a few pages I did the exact same thing when I first started playing (well, I didn't warp to an undiscovered station, but pirates got me).

You can fly around in a ship core alone, it's not as fast as a ship, but MUCH MUCH faster then flying around as a spaceman. Don't connect any blocks to it - just the ship core alone and nothing else, and you can go ~200m/s

You can at least use that to check out different shops or maybe fly to our faction base or something.

If I see you online (same name?) and you still need help I can come give you some power generators.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It turns out you can restock shops by shooting them a few times to summon trading guild fleets, which restock them as they fly past. So that's convenient, since otherwise restocking seems to have stopped happening everywhere.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Yeah, its always safest to jump to a sector adjacent to the undiscovered station if you're not cloaked.

Use a core like burnedtoast suggested and float to another shop. People seem to like to buy power reactors in the thousands, even though they could just as easily mass produce them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well, jump drive disengaged near a pirate station, so the sleepy and hollow is no more :(

but I made them cost my ship dearly

edit: at which point a pirate station is defeated? core overheating?

edit: more questions! anyone has made the turret work? I have them set, bobby ai activated on the second docked ship (the barrels), faction modules everywhere, ai set to turret/any and still they don't shoot

internet said: I managed to get it to work. Make sure you get in the mothership and press c. That seemed to be the key.

eeedit: don't know what any of above mean, but found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxFjl2OsudY&feature=youtu.be however it dowsn't how the turret working, albeit I suppose it does

eeeeeeeedit:
good news! as I warped while being killed, I got killed anyway but the ship, overheating, was just floating space-hulk stile. because the core was very exposed I was killed very fast once the shield failed, so damage was actually minimal. I wonder if rebuild the missing part in white and have the ship accumulate patches as it goes like an old italian car XD

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:35:37 am by LoSboccacc »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone know if turret AI is bugged or something?

I placed a guided missile + cannon turret (the cannon is mostly to test if the turret is doing anything at all since the missile takes so long to refire).

I spawn a weak pirate.

If set to Aim at Any, the ship will fire both weapons fine and target the pirate. But if I set it to "Selected target" it doesn't do anything, not even rotates.

I have placed faction blocks on the ship and both turret parts, all set to my faction.

EDIT: Oh, apparently it is bugged. http://bugs.star-made.org/issues/2079

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think Selected Target has ever worked.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think Selected Target has ever worked.

Guess not. Maybe that's why they're not in a hurry to fix it, if there's nothing to fix yet.

Anyway, I've been working on this ugly ass ship. I think it looks like some sort of bottle. Check it from behind:

Here's the front half.

The plan is to make it as "flat" as possible, but not completely, to maximize turning on the X and Y axisises.. axises... axes. Aks.
If I understand correctly, ship "length" doesn't affect roll, but it affects pitch and yaw. Height and width both affect roll, while only one each affects either yaw and pitch.

Why did I make the butt first? Because I wanted to maximize Power Generation: the ship has four generators and each one is of the dimensions of the whole ship (minus a couple layers for armor/decoration).

Anyway, I managed to create a (sort-of) sequentially firing missile turret.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't even seem to get rail-turrets to rotate properly. First I had no rotation, then I had rotation in the "gun" but not the "barrel", and now I have rotation in both, but only separately. The "barrel" isn't rotating when I try to move the "gun"... This is about a million times more frustrating than the old system ever was.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 181