Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325036 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok so we moved next door to -22 -17 54.

Isn't it +22?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I've tried making a missile+beam+explosive defense turret with barely over 5mil alpha damage every 41.5 seconds. The total mass is around 7k (70k blocks) Assuming the server didn't modify the damage numbers, that's about what we should expect for total mass. The one I made is a 51m diameter sphere with an ugly ass barrel on it, exterior with armor, so whatever.

The majority of the shopping list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So that's a lot to get, yeah.

Access is from the rear, opposite the missile tube.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The server modifies a bunch of stuff, so you'll want to copy the block config over, I expect.

Edit: And it looks like the two files for single player are unified into one for multiplayer, so you may have to cut the second one out and put it in the file it goes in for single player?

Correction: It's all just blockBehaviorConfig.xml.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:16:01 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Also check into modifiers. I need to run the numbers on the server, but i think these three combo should work well togheter:

Cannon/beam + ion (shield are the real stopper in dmaging titans)
Missile/pulse + explosive (beam would make it faster but I don't trust its aiming)
Cannon/cannon + stopping (for maximum trolling)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok so i bought starmade yesterday and currently play it in single player.
Can anyone give me some instructions beyond the basic tutorial?

I mean really what should i do? I built a simple ship from the starting materials and flew around for a bit. Got shot at by a space station i couldn't blast with the salvage beam and mined some asteroids so i ran away. Now i have a damaged ship and barely any clue what to do beyond shooting planets/asteroids with a salvage beam.
So far no platets have any wildlife to use my pistol on. So yeah.

I guess i'm supposed to build a giant battlecruiser and rule the realm but if a single turret needs 19960 capacitor blocks i don't think i have the willpower to mine for all that stuff.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well step 1 would be to be as big as to kill the basic pirates. then you can salvage pirates' ship, and that is where you get a good deal of stuff. hundreds of power reactor a pop. that's the point where you go after pirate stations and start whopping up the galaxy

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

I've tried making a missile+beam+explosive defense turret with barely over 5mil alpha damage every 41.5 seconds. The total mass is around 7k (70k blocks) Assuming the server didn't modify the damage numbers, that's about what we should expect for total mass. The one I made is a 51m diameter sphere with an ugly ass barrel on it, exterior with armor, so whatever.

The majority of the shopping list:
So that's a lot to get, yeah.

Access is from the rear, opposite the missile tube.

I was under the impression that turrets attached to the homebase were invulnerable too, so do we actually need the shields/rechargers? Unless this is not intended to be a base turret but I don't know what else you would attach it to since it's bigger then all the other ships we have.

I'm also not sure the explosive effect is strictly necessary. If we were actually having a battle, the extra killing power would be nice, but a base turret is just designed to make people stay away. If the alpha can punch through the shields, they are going to leave ASAP even if it does not kill them in a single hit and if the alpha can't punch through the shields the explosive effect won't make any difference.

Another thing I've considered is using missile + pulse to make nuke missiles instead for a bigger alpha. I've never tried them out so maybe it's not a good idea, but this server seems to have the max speed set way up so they would still be reasonably quick. We would need more power, but it would also make the alpha much bigger for the same cost (or cheaper for the same alpha).

Anyway, back of the envelope math suggests that turret, shields and all, would cost around 30 million (very roughly) which is expensive but not completely impractical.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right so i have this problem... my PC runs out of RAM around 30 minutes of flying in space.
Everythig is nice and smooth with well over 60 fps but then it suddenly becomes downright unplayable.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

already tuned the jvm parameters? if it is a memory leak due to graphic drivers there is no patching, but it will at least postpone the problem

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

Right so i have this problem... my PC runs out of RAM around 30 minutes of flying in space.
Everythig is nice and smooth with well over 60 fps but then it suddenly becomes downright unplayable.

You can adjust how much ram the game can use in the launcher, pick options then memory settings. For some reason it only uses 2gb by default.

I have 8 GB total so I set the game to use 6GB, and now it almost never runs out (only if I have been playing for a very long time).
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For some reason it only uses 2gb by default.

because many people run with a 32 bit java from the 00s in a 64 bit os, so they don't want the game to crash by default. (nevermind they could also do a rapid check on the system flags, but I digress)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ignore me, wrong game

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I didn't think to copy the server's config. I've done that now and reloaded the missile turret:

With the server config, the missile-beam combination grants no additional range; 5000m either way, which was why I chose beam over pulse in the first place. So yeah, cutting back to a beam-pulse combo sounds reasonable now. The shield capacity went up to 979k, but the recharge rate dropped to 10k (this is disturbing) and the power capacity went up to 82 million (holy FUCK)

We can make this much smaller this way, and yes the shields were extraneous on a home-base-only turret, but I don't like designing things that are useless in all but one situation.

Here's the revision;
And that achieves just over 5mil alpha damage and 50mil capacity. It takes 105 seconds to reload, but only ~60sec to recharge power capacitors to 100%, so this turret is effectively self-sufficient and will not draw from our station. No shields this time, no hull, just a big ugly rectangle thing.

I also put the rotational mechanisms at the center of the turret, in the core room, so it can rotate 360* on either axis, which I thought was useful. I had been using the explosive effect to give the extra eplosion radius (effects also add their block count to the damage calculations) but it isn't strictly necessary with a pulse nuke.

I'd suggest combining these with smaller rapid-fire turrets that can maintain damage over an extended period, just in case.

Also, Sonlirain;
You don't need 19k capacitors for any reason other than to make a very big boom :P
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:51:49 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

And that achieves just over 5mil alpha damage and 50mil capacity. It takes 105 seconds to reload, but only ~60sec to recharge power capacitors to 100%, so this turret is effectively self-sufficient and will not draw from our station. No shields this time, no hull, just a big ugly rectangle thing.

May want to drop in a couple rapid-fire turrets to be firing while the main cannon is charging.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

That's exactly what I suggested, yes.

Technically the high-alpha turret can have additional, smaller missile batteries associated with it, but it's probably beneficial to have some more, smaller turrets as well.

update;

To achieve 2mil shield cap and 200k recharge for each ship, we need at least 27000 recharge blocks and at least 21000 capacitors each. So 4800 mass total
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:31:43 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 181