Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325091 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

August version of 2014 still not compatible, going back to January 2014.

Edit: Successfully loaded in Jan 2014 version, dealing with Isanth problem.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:08:15 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Alright, I found a thread regarding the pirate ships capabilities:
http://forums.elwyneternity.com/thread-58.html

It looks like this linebacker corvette is the biggest threat, and responsible for blowing a hole in that ship, which according to this thread was damaged during a lag spike. Another craft suffered the same fate.

So it's the nuke missile turrets on the linebacker blowing holes in things rapidly, accompanied by a lag spike that causes the server to allow hull damage regardless of shields or something. The linebacker's main weaknesses are its slow rate of rotation; you can gun the engines, (slip behind it, and get a few shots in before it can turn to face you. Those engine nacelles look like they'd prevent most return fire from its turrets, to boot) the blind spots the anti-missile turrets have from incoming missiles directly to the sides, and behind (Because the old turrets can't fire directly above them, and the linebacker only has PD turrets on the sides. It also caps itself out after the initial salvo, so there's a moment where it cannot return fire, use thrusters, or regenerate shields, because it blew out its energy reserves. This thing is literally a gunship, though. Guns and missiles EVERYWHERE.

According to the first thread above, a pirate hunter needs at least 2 mil shields and at least 200k regen to survive an encounter, and a hell of a lot of luck not to have a lag spike at the moment before impact. Basically, not a bigass frigate but a battleship. Gigantism is the name of the game on this server.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Also thise cruisers have a big ass ion cannon

Anyway
I'm looking to build a small cloaking corvette, with a main 1mil power reactor.

That puts it on the 6500 blocks weight class

Now i was looking for a good block allocation for it; without much details here is what I was looking at

1% warp drive
4% ion beam
10% thrusters
20% energy
5% salvage
10% main weapon
10% hull
20% turrets
20% shield

What do you think? Suggestions?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

Mission: Recovery

Stage 1:  Import smsec file 'oblivion' into old version of Starmade.  Successful.
Stage 2:  Recover blueprint data on first-generation Oblivion Defense Contractors vessels.  Successful.
Stage 3:  Import and verify functionality of blueprints on current version of StarMade.  Underway.  Successful.

Bay12, we are in business.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can now send a blueprint to anyone who desires one, send request via PM please.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:57:52 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Parked a new ship up at the satellite.  Going to be designing a Surface-To-Vessal shuttle tomorrow.  If everyone constructs a hanger for it on their vessals, could be used as a universal way to get on any vessal we decide to construct.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tried to connect to the server with the info given in OP.  Connection failed:  Couldn't connect.

Has the server info changed since then?  How do you connect?  Is the server still up?
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That puts it on the 6500 blocks weight class

Now i was looking for a good block allocation for it; without much details here is what I was looking at
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd drop the hull, reduce the thrusters to the minimum necessary to still be able to chase your targets, remove the salvage beams entirely (you can get in the core and stop the ship from exploding, and then just take it apart in build mode, or bring a friend with a salvager, or dock your cloaked ship on a battleship with a docked salvager).

I'm not sure what I'd do with the shield, since I'm unfamiliar with how the equations for that has changed of late. I'd keep some, since otherwise your power generators will get shot and you'll lose stealth.

You don't need hull - it's just wasted mass - and only need enough shields to avoid getting hurt for the brief moment that your cloak and jammer is down when you fire your alpha-strike, and then re-activate your cloak and jammers and get out of the way of anything launched in your direction. (In a previous version, as a proof of concept I had a cloaked boat which looked pretty much like a + with missile boxes on the front, which spammed deadfire missiles that burrowed right through enemy ships if they could get through their shields, but this was before the new weapons system)

I assume power generators and capacitors are still the same. As you increase the size of the ship you'll need more capacitors, so there's an optimal point which depends on the configuration of your generators, and maybe how much extra capacity you think you may need. I did the math using (roundup(max(regen-20000,0)^(1/1.75))) and the optimal point for using four generators was at 400 blocks in an optimally designed pattern per generator. E.G. In a hollow cube frame with holes in it to separate it into four generators. Obviously that's highly vulnerable if it gets shot, and the more of the potentially stealthable mass you use, the faster your stealth would fail if a generator gets a hole in it.

Total mass that can be stealthed in that configuration is 664.96, requiring 2648 capacitor blocks for a total of 240.16 non-generator non-capacitor stealthed mass (2401.6 blocks, if everything is 10 mass).

My doctrine for using that would be to (a) not hunt things you can't kill with your alpha strike, or at least not hunt them alone, (b) aim for the core with either a deadfire missile alpha strike or a lock-on missile alpha strike (Last time I played, lock-ons were more precise and focused, and dead-fires would just fly in a straight line in case you wanted to wreck half a ship). I don't recall if you need to use the combo system to get deadfires or lockons, or if one of them is default. If one isn't default the combo system might be wasting your mass. But I don't know what's the OP thing that everyone uses for missiles - you probably want to use that if it'll work.

I'm not sure I'd put turrets on, unless you can make the missiles more efficient that way, and iff they won't fire until you want them to, and will fire at your target's core only. (Last time I played, IIRC, they completely ignored the 'shoot my target' order, didn't fire deadfires, and the seeking missiles flew in circles and then usually blew up (or tried to blow up) a neutral ship/turret. I had some success with a missile pod, but that's only when I was dropping it next to a declared enemy or pirates and I was in a guild (and so was my ship and all its turrets, which was expensive), and no neutrals were in the area. I hope hope hope that's all fixed, since it's been months since then.)

P.S. So... they sell credits, which is basically selling power. How do you know they won't ban you because you get too powerful and a donator doesn't like you?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

that thing had 5 mil shield on it.

........we need more blue asteroids.

Also I went from thinking my ship was starting to look pretty good to thinking I need to make it about 100x bigger.

well that sucks - however it is quite easy even with the starter craft to pull in half million a hour, and then it only scales up to the point millions are just peanuts, as soon as you get to pirate busting level.

edit: I'm rather compelled at donating money (running a server this big must not be cheap) however the donation rewards are quite out of whack likewise and it would feel cheap to get billions stuff for this.

P.S. So... they sell credits, which is basically selling power. How do you know they won't ban you because you get too powerful and a donator doesn't like you?

So basically we are on the "perfect world" server?  :-[

(perfect world runs lots of pay2win mmos)

Tried to connect to the server with the info given in OP.  Connection failed:  Couldn't connect.

Has the server info changed since then?  How do you connect?  Is the server still up?

It might have crashed (it's been having some problems), you should try again. It works fine for me right now

EDIT: Sorry, misunderstood - the server in the OP is long gone. Some people have just started a few days ago on a new one sm.elwyneternity.com:4242
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:32:41 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've sent a request to be added to the faction. I made it to the faction base.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

I think we should make our space elevator come up from the planet, so it's part of the planet.

I know it messes up the gravity, but then we could dock our ships to it and they would become invulnerable, right now anyone could just come along and blow them all up or steal them because they aren't protected.

Apparently docking with the planet like this is fine, it's just landing on the planet that's not allowed because all the collisions make tons of lags for everyone, and sometimes they sink into the planet and cause even more problems.

I think messed up gravity is a small price to pay to make our ships invulerable when we are not logged in.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

You need more than 2 million shields, and over 200k regen, if you have that or under, the pirates can still break your shields.

Either that thread or the wiki is pulling numbers out of thin air. 2mil/200k shield is about 25000 capacity block and 40000 recharge blocks - that's to fight a ship that has a 3.7k mass...

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile

As ship size increases docking on a planet extension gets less practical. Gravity-less stations are just better suited for it.

My first suggestion would be to ditch the planet entirely once we have some mobile stuff and build a station near no planet to reduce the graphical lag of having to render a planet as well as possibly several big ships.

Alternatively we could make the station home-based and extend a dome of glass or mesh around the entire planet to protect it but this would just mean more blocks and more lags

I have a few blueprints for decent-looking bare-bones power shells for stealth builds if you are interested in looking at them

edit; tried to invite TheDarkStar/ Darkoff but cannot due to not being founder I think...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:15:24 pm by Crashmaster »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I think we should make our space elevator come up from the planet, so it's part of the planet.

I know it messes up the gravity, but then we could dock our ships to it and they would become invulnerable, right now anyone could just come along and blow them all up or steal them because they aren't protected.

Apparently docking with the planet like this is fine, it's just landing on the planet that's not allowed because all the collisions make tons of lags for everyone, and sometimes they sink into the planet and cause even more problems.

I think messed up gravity is a small price to pay to make our ships invulerable when we are not logged in.

And we can have it in line with the planet as well...

Let's go with it.  Where'd the elevator go?

As ship size increases docking on a planet extension gets less practical. Gravity-less stations are just better suited for it.

That's why you don't dock massive ships.  You instead use a small landing craft, parked on your ship on a set of rail blocks that can reverse.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

defeeca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

posting here to let guys know that im not a spy. :)
also rails are cool. i made rotating scanner block and i think one could make submerging ship bridge with it.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I've sent a request to be added to the faction. I made it to the faction base.

What's your username?
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 181